Thoughts regarding 19/7 (B) Train Service

Lawrence St

I was preferring to when it served the west end line on wkend... of course the B didn't get switched until the bridge was fixed...i knew that...

Except that that pattern was nothing like the (B) pattern that would run weekends in the present-day (aside from the portion from Grand to Rockerfeller Center). That (B) ran from Coney Island to 21st Street/Queensbridge via the West End Line, and this (B) would run from Brighton Beach to 145th (or BPB, whatever) via the Brighton Line. 

(Q) bunching -- yet another reason for wknd (B) service.

I 100% am with you on GOs -- very well written post.

Also, FWIW, I have it from a very reliable source that the MTA is doing some sort of an internal review of timers. So stay tuned on that front.

Lets hope that it results in less installation and more removal of the unnecessary ones.

So what's the difference if it has to go local on 6th Avenue, or express along CPW? Look, Ill list all the common G.O's I can think of right now:

(D) rerouted via 8th Avenue:

(B) suspended north of Atlantic Avenue.

CPW local's run express:

Adjust (B) intervals to 9 minutes each.

Work on Brighton Express Tracks:

(B) rerouted over West End Express to Bay Parkway.

6th/8th/Broadway Swap:

(B) runs via 8th Avenue to West 4th, then via Culver Express to Coney Island.

Yeah and how do you expect to turn the (B) Train at Atlantic Avenue on the (Q) Train Platform?

And as for the CPW G.Os that will work not at all. I suggest riding through that G.O before saying cutting it to 9 minute headways would work because you clearly never experience that G.O at all.

What, just because I use a line, I'm supposed to automatically want additional service on it? Yes, some lines (whether it's local bus, express bus, or subway) do need more service, or more express service, but some lines don't.

No, but if you're traveling for as far as you claim you do, then I have a hard time believing that you are okay spending an extra 15-20 minutes each way. You're telling me you travel to Brighton Beach and back and have no problem with a longer commute, or are you going to claim that you haven't noticed a difference in how much longer it takes versus in the past? Given how you make every effort not to waste any time when commuting, I can your claim utter BS. If it's really true, it's definitely odd that's for sure.

Yeah and how do you expect to turn the (B) Train at Atlantic Avenue on the (Q) Train Platform?

And as for the CPW G.Os that will work not at all. I suggest riding through that G.O before saying cutting it to 9 minute headways would work because you clearly never experience that G.O at all.

This weekend is perfect because the (C) runs express this weekend. How about all of you who want the (B) check there and come back with results?

This weekend is perfect because the (C) runs express this weekend. How about all of you who want the (B) check there and come back with results?

How about you spill the beans on what happens when the (C) runs express? Quite frankly, given how many times I was burned on the weekends riding the subway along CPW, I do everything possible not to use the subway over there on weekends unless I have no other options. Seeing (D) after (D) pass by on the express track with no (C) in sight usually means me using all sorts of profanity.

The (D) can run pretty crappy too, but on weekends somehow they manage to perform better than the (C).

No, but if you're traveling for as far as you claim you do, then I have a hard time believing that you are okay spending an extra 15-20 minutes each way. You're telling me you travel to Brighton Beach and back and have no problem with a longer commute, or are you going to claim that you haven't noticed a difference in how much longer it takes versus in the past? Given how you make every effort not to waste any time when commuting, I can your claim utter BS. If it's really true, it's definitely odd that's for sure.

Except the (B) faces the same problems that the (Q) does nowadays with timers and stuff like that holding it up. If you fix those issues on the line overall, the (Q) would be more tolerable. 

And the money used to adding service such as weekend (B) service could be used to speed my travels in other ways. (For example, later X17 service on the weekends).

Except that that pattern was nothing like the (B) pattern that would run weekends in the present-day (aside from the portion from Grand to Rockerfeller Center). That (B) ran from Coney Island to 21st Street/Queensbridge via the West End Line, and this (B) would run from Brighton Beach to 145th (or BPB, whatever) via the Brighton Line.

The weekend (B) did run on CPW from November 2000 to July 2001

The weekend (B) did run on CPW from November 2000 to July 2001

And that was only because of work being done for connecting the 63rd Street line to Queens Blvd as well as work along 53rd Street. 

It also ran on CPW during the evening hours and weekends in January and February due to the WTC rehab.

Or just revert to the original pattern:

(B) via West End operating as a shuttle between 36 Street and Stillwell, (D) via Brighton to Coney Island and no service on the (Q)...up until Second Avenue opened. Kills that plan

Oh I'm sorry, do you have a camera on me on my commutes to say that I haven't experienced something?

OK I have gone thru there on that GO many a time -- it would work. Nice try. 

Look, despite all those who claim the sky would fall during every GO if the (B) ran, I still don't think so. The math just doesn't work. And we are forgetting that the purpose of running the subway system is to get commuters around, not make dispatchers' lives as easy as possible. That's our perogative here. If we believe it'd help, we kinda have to do it. 

The (Q) can be quite slow, so it would be lovely to have the Brighton Express run on the weekends. In the summer, it can provide a faster ride to Coney Island.

Routing the (B) without including the Bronx seems imbalanced.

Why not have a few (Q) trains out of the lot assume express service during weekends in a peak style similar to the (B)?

Out of ten local (Q) trains, take four of them via the express track. 2 in the morning to Coney Island, 2 to 96 St in the evening.

My other concern about your proposal is foliage related.

This time of year falling pods and wet, windy weather may force ALL TRAINS on the Brighton line to be slowed.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

OK I have gone thru there on that GO many a time -- it would work. Nice try. 

Look, despite all those who claim the sky would fall during every GO if the (B) ran, I still don't think so. The math just doesn't work. And we are forgetting that the purpose of running the subway system is to get commuters around, not make dispatchers' lives as easy as possible. That's our perogative here. If we believe it'd help, we kinda have to do it. 

Excellent post. This is all about the commuters. The way I see it, let the (MTA) sort it out. The only reason I'm listening to feedback is because the (MTA) will try to pull the same BS that posters have discussed here. We can't do it because... and then list a million excuses as to why. Typical... That's not the way to run the system. Look for ways to improve instead of making excuses every time they need to add service. That's what they're paying people to do... They run the (B) during the week, so make it happen on weekends and get rid of some the crap they've put in that has added so much time to the commute.

This thread reminds me a lot of when I started petitions to restore weekend service on the X28. They claimed the bus wasn't cost effective and the (D) was nearby in Brooklyn, even though it deals with GOs often, thus leaving riders with few alternatives. Finally after running out of excuses, you didn't hear about the (D) being an alternative. It was oh ridership has increased so we expect the line to grow. I just want to be ready for the BS they're going to use so that it can be refuted. At a minimum, I think service from Brighton Beach to Bedford Park Blvd could work. Running the (B) to Coney Island may be more of a hassle than it would be worth since there isn't really any space for it at the terminal. In order for this petition to be successful, we have to have the support of elected officials who will use the petitions to form a coalition to force the (MTA)'s hands. It took years of starting numerous petitions and working with several elected officials but it can be done, so in short going into this, I need to aware of the pros and cons and then be able to go in full speed ahead.

Oh I'm sorry, do you have a camera on me on my commutes to say that I haven't experienced something?

lol

Well, Via Garibaldi said that he was going to make a petition. I'd prefer to see updates on that posted in this thread, since it's the most logical location.

If Turtle wants to lock it let him, and when I have updates, I can just start another thread, since it won't be about the pros or cons, but rather the progress of getting the service implemented.  Give me about a week or so. I have to do some research about who represents what areas, and then I can get the petition going.  I'm also awaiting the complaint that I filed with the (MTA). It will likely be a canned response, but I want it so that I can forward it to elected officials if they ask for it.  They like to have a paper trail so that when they approach the (MTA), they have something in hand.

If Turtle wants to lock it let him, and when I have updates, I can just start another thread, since it won't be about the pros or cons, but rather the progress of getting the service implemented.  Give me about a week or so. I have to do some research about who represents what areas, and then I can get the petition going.  I'm also awaiting the complaint that I filed with the (MTA). It will likely be a canned response, but I want it so that I can forward it to elected officials if they ask for it.  They like to have a paper trail so that when they approach the (MTA), they have something in hand.

That's fine, then.

Archived