Q35 Erratic Service and Over Crowding

nuyorican

Sunday with temps in the mid 90's going to the beach would be a great idea NOT if your going to take the Q35, not sure if it was staffing or scheduling problems but the overcrowding on the Q35 was unbelievable. Waited for the Q35 at Kings Highway & Flatbush at 9:15am every Q35 bus that approached was packed to the windshield and bypassed us and everybody that was waiting to head to the Rockaways. After the 4th bus passed us we took a bus to Flatbush Brooklyn College which is the first stop we finally made it onto a bus. But the amount of people the bus left behind at the first stop was close to a 100 people and every stop after must have had 2 to 3 dozen people waiting only to get bypassed and then at ave U and Flatbush (Kings Plaza) there must have been 4 or 5 dozen people. Cant the MTA run extra buses or artic buses. Last year I would see artic buses on the Q35 every once in awhile.

Isn't that contradictory because there is money to be had, but they just aren't getting it?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

If people are packing those buses, I'm not sure how much revenue they're actually collecting.

----

I also don't understand why everyone has to go to that beach (there are other beaches in NYC you know <_<) when it's very clear that the residents in Neponsit do everything possible to keep beach goers out.  They purposely don't allow street parking there during the beach season and all of those people are not going to fit on the Q35, even with artics, so go to another beach or take the ferry to Far Rockaway.  I don't blame them either.  They don't want their neighborhood inundated with inconsiderate people blocking up the streets. Good for them.  I also hate it when we have visitors in the summer.  Your quiet residential street becomes a tourist spot.  I pay far too much for such aggravation.  Those people moved far out for a reason...  To have some peace and quiet.

Sunday with temps in the mid 90's going to the beach would be a great idea NOT if your going to take the Q35, not sure if it was staffing or scheduling problems but the overcrowding on the Q35 was [/size]unbelievable. Waited for the Q35 at Kings Highway & Flatbush at 9:15am every Q35 bus that approached was packed to the windshield and bypassed us and everybody that was waiting to head to the Rockaways. After the 4th bus passed us we took a bus to Flatbush Brooklyn College which is the first stop we finally made it onto a bus. But the amount of people the bus left behind at the first stop was close to a 100 people[/size] and every stop after must have had 2 to 3 dozen people waiting only to get bypassed and then at ave U and Flatbush (Kings Plaza) there must have been 4 or 5 dozen people. Cant the MTA run extra buses or artic buses. Last year I would see artic buses on the Q35 every once in awhile.

I took the Q53 on Sunday and it was just as bad. Had to miss five buses before I could get on. Part of the problem is the summer schedule which provides additional service does not kick in until July. It also ends the Sunday before Labor Day which is also ridiculous. Last year they promised me they would consider extending it to include Labor Day.

I remember reading somewhere that they will not be running extra beach buses this year to save money.

Don't Believe it's true. If so, this needs to be widely publicized to show the hypocrisy regarding getting people to use mass transit.

It's likely that very few people actually pay on those beach buses, otherwise they would continue to run them.

Most people do pay to unless they board through the back door.

1. I took the Q53 on Sunday and it was just as bad. Had to miss five buses before I could get on. Part of the problem is the summer schedule which provides additional service does not kick in until July. It also ends the Sunday before Labor Day which is also ridiculous. Last year they promised me they would consider extending it to include Labor Day.

2. Don't Believe it's true. If so, this needs to be widely publicized to show the hypocrisy regarding getting people to use mass transit.

3. Most people do pay to unless they board through the back door.

1. And you said artics weren't needed along Woodhaven Blvd...  :D

2. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

3. They physically can't if they can't even reach the fare box. I'm willing to bet that in those instances, the driver just waives them on after a while.

1. And you said artics weren't needed along Woodhaven Blvd... :D

2. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

3. They physically can't if they can't even reach the fare box. I'm willing to bet that in those instances, the driver just waives them on after a while.

Most times they are not needed. But they certainly could use them on summer weekends, but that would be out if the box thinking for the MTA and it also would take some concern for the passengers.

Also, drivers were intentionally allowing people to board through the back door so as it to strand passengers for an hour, although that is against policy.

Most times they are not needed. But they certainly could use them on summer weekends, but that would be out if the box thinking for the MTA and it also would take some concern for the passengers.

Also, drivers were intentionally allowing people to board through the back door so as it to strand passengers for an hour, although that is against policy.

What else is new?  All of these things are reasons why bus service is on the decline.

He means why they can't have artics like they do on the Q10.... My guess is they don't have enough buses for that at the moment.

The summer weekend schedule is not even close to peak period scheduling so I am pretty sure there are excess attics in the depot at that time. But they will find another reason why not to use them like the bus stops are not long enough.

What else is new?  All of these things are reasons why bus service is on the decline.

And the hypocrisy is to ask people to leave their cars at home and use mass transit.

1. The summer weekend schedule is not even close to peak period scheduling so I am pretty sure there are excess attics in the depot at that time. But they will find another reason why not to use them like the bus stops are not long enough.

And the hypocrisy is to ask people to leave their cars at home and use mass transit.

1. lol

2. Looking at the Q35 schedule, I doubt that they want to run buses more than every 10 minutes.  Beach service would require quite a few more buses per hour.  At a minimum 5 buses...

Last year, the MTA's summer press release in May included the following:

In addition, service on the Q35 bus route, which operates between the Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av 2.png5.png station and Rockaway Park, via Flatbush Avenue and Jacob Riis Park, will be increased starting July 3.  More than 35 trips on both Saturday and Sunday will be added and frequencies will go from every 10-11 minutes to 7 1/2 minutes.

I haven't seen anything similar on their website for this summer.

Last year, the MTA's summer press release in May included the following:

In addition, service on the Q35 bus route, which operates between the Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av [/size]2.png5.png station and Rockaway Park, via Flatbush Avenue and Jacob Riis Park, will be increased starting July 3.  More than 35 trips on both Saturday and Sunday will be added and frequencies will go from every 10-11 minutes to 7 1/2 minutes.[/size]

I haven't seen anything similar on their website for this summer.

Last year did they announce that more than a week or ten days in advance?

1. lol

2. Looking at the Q35 schedule, I doubt that they want to run buses more than every 10 minutes.  Beach service would require quite a few more buses per hour.  At a minimum 5 buses...

As was pointed out, last year it was every 7.5 minutes. Anyway, it doesn't matter what they want to do. They have service guidelines which they need to follow. They call for everyone not to have to stand for more than 15 minutes, not waits of 60 to 90 minutes with bus after bus not stopping because they are full. If that is what happens with 10 minute service, mire is definitely needed. They could even have Kings Plaza to Riis Park shuttles or as I suggested extending the B2 to Riis Park.

Last year did they announce that more than a week or ten days in advance?

As was pointed out, last year it was every 7.5 minutes. Anyway, it doesn't matter what they want to do. They have service guidelines which they need to follow. They call for everyone not to have to stand for more than 15 minutes, not waits of 60 to 90 minutes with bus after bus not stopping because they are full. If that is what happens with 10 minute service, mire is definitely needed. They could even have Kings Plaza to Riis Park shuttles or as I suggested extending the B2 to Riis Park.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the B2 as it is.  I worked pretty hard getting weekend service restored (in fact I insisted upon it, since I used to use the B2 when I lived in Midwood for shopping and the like), and I see no need to have it extended to Riis Park.  Add artics on the Q35 and call it a day.  The B2's primary function should be to serve the residents of Marine Park so that they can reach the subway, go shopping, go to school, work or do other things.  

The Q10 uses all of JFK's artics, it's the only artic route out of JFK.

Dude. That's simply not true, just because it is the only artic route out of JFK, it doesn't use all the artics all the time. How would buses ever get cleaned or maintained? In fact the Q10 frequently, well not frequently but uses 40 footers from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived