Q35 Erratic Service and Over Crowding

nuyorican

Dude. That's simply not true, just because it is the only artic route out of JFK, it doesn't use all the artics all the time. How would buses ever get cleaned or maintained? In fact the Q10 frequently, well not frequently but uses 40 footers from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I didn't say the Q10 uses them all the time. I said it's the only artic route out of JFK.

Same shit with the Q35 during the summer season.... Feel sorry for the actual commuters on the route (outside of going to the beach)....

Last time I took the Q35 during the summer time was from B. 116th a couple yrs. ago.... Dozed off as soon as I got on... Woke up to a crushloaded bus somewhere b/w the bridge & the (old) toll booth - to some chick sittin on some dude's lap next to me, which later ended up with a piece of her asscheek on my right leg (I was sitting in the left-most seat in the back of the bus), which is what woke me up..... Didn't help that there were a couple of Gorton's fishermen on the bus stinkin up the thing either(personally, I hate when those dudes get on the bus, moreso than the beach goers).... I couldn't get off that bus fast enough... No way in hell was I riding it out to the junction; the B46 more than sufficed that day.....

I know that in the 1980s select B46 and B9 runs were extended to the beach. That's not what I want to run though. Instead, how about a summer weekend express special running nonstop between the beach and Flatbush (2) with a stop at the mall. Call it something like the X76 to make the route stand out.

I know that in the 1980s select B46 and B9 runs were extended to the beach. That's not what I want to run though. Instead, how about a summer weekend express special running nonstop between the beach and Flatbush (2) with a stop at the mall. Call it something like the X76 to make the route stand out.

But don't they already run beach specials? Do those make all stops too or what?

Same shit with the Q35 during the summer season.... Feel sorry for the actual commuters on the route (outside of going to the beach)....

Last time I took the Q35 during the summer time was from B. 116th a couple yrs. ago.... Dozed off as soon as I got on... Woke up to a crushloaded bus somewhere b/w the bridge & the (old) toll booth - to some chick sittin on some dude's lap next to me, which later ended up with a piece of her asscheek on my right leg (I was sitting in the left-most seat in the back of the bus), which is what woke me up..... Didn't help that there were a couple of Gorton's fishermen on the bus stinkin up the thing either(personally, I hate when those dudes get on the bus, moreso than the beach goers).... I couldn't get off that bus fast enough... No way in hell was I riding it out to the junction; the B46 more than sufficed that day.....

lol gorton's fisherman lmao, dang that was really crushloaded and did people even go all the way to the back?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the B2 as it is.  I worked pretty hard getting weekend service restored (in fact I insisted upon it, since I used to use the B2 when I lived in Midwood for shopping and the like), and I see no need to have it extended to Riis Park.  Add artics on the Q35 and call it a day.  The B2's primary function should be to serve the residents of Marine Park so that they can reach the subway, go shopping, go to school, work or do other things.

I totally disagree with you. The B2 is underutilized except for two hours a day. On weekdays between the rush hours you are lucky if there are six passengers aboard. To be viable, it either needs to be extended westbound along 65 St to Bay Ridge or south to Rockaway. It shoukd not only be for Marine Park. Back in 1978, you probably also would have opposed my B1 along 86 Street saying the B21 should just be for Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay. That route also was not used outside of rush hours because its destinations were severely limited. It on,y served two subways and Coney Island Hospital. The "new B1" in 1978 made many three bus trips into one bus trios, which is exactly what the B2 would do if it were made more viable.

Also the Q35 summer specials are additional buses between the Junction and Riis Park on summer weekends. It is grossly deficient.

I totally disagree with you. The B2 is underutilized except for two hours a day. On weekdays between the rush hours you are lucky if there are six passengers aboard. To be viable, it either needs to be extended westbound along 65 St to Bay Ridge or south to Rockaway. It shoukd not only be for Marine Park. Back in 1978, you probably also would have opposed my B1 along 86 Street saying the B21 should just be for Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay. That route also was not used outside of rush hours because its destinations were severely limited. It on,y served two subways and Coney Island Hospital. The "new B1" in 1978 made many three bus trips into one bus trios, which is exactly what the B2 would do if it were made more viable.

Also the Q35 summer specials are additional buses between the Junction and Riis Park on summer weekends. It is grossly deficient.

You've been yelling about extending the B2 for years now. Any extension should be closely studied in terms of the impact it would have on current service.

lol gorton's fisherman lmao, dang that was really crushloaded and did people even go all the way to the back?

When I woke up, people were actually standing in the back; up the steps - yup....

Little doubt in my mind that those people, on that day, got fed up of waiting for an *empty enough* bus to board back at the beach stop....

I will never understand the MTA's long-standing underestimating/short-changing of that route.... During, or outside of beach season....

Last year did they announce that more than a week or ten days in advance?

As was pointed out, last year it was every 7.5 minutes. Anyway, it doesn't matter what they want to do. They have service guidelines which they need to follow. They call for everyone not to have to stand for more than 15 minutes, not waits of 60 to 90 minutes with bus after bus not stopping because they are full. If that is what happens with 10 minute service, mire is definitely needed. They could even have Kings Plaza to Riis Park shuttles or as I suggested extending the B2 to Riis Park.

The press release was dated in May, so they gave plenty of notice last year

The maximum q10's that are schedule to be out weekdays are 24 at a given time. Usually they end up short and 1-3 of the later runs go out with standard buses. I believe they were given 27 buses and at any given money 3 are parked up for "mechanical issues" plus accident damage that needs repairs. On weekends the more of those artics are taken out of service for mechanical issues plus the good ones that also end up out of service because of farebox issues that can't be repaired during the weekend. First place a spare Jfk artics will go is on the Q7 though, no chance of one going on the god awful q35.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5rjhmzjSGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Knew i had seen video of the Q35 with artics New Flyer D60HF ran on the Q35

You've been yelling about extending the B2 for years now. Any extension should be closely studied in terms of the impact it would have on current service.

Of course. It would definitely reduce reliability since Flatbush Avenue was narrowed to two lanes each way south of the Belt Parkway. But that can be fixed either by returning the lanes or making no them bus lanes.

I wonder if making the Q35 into a select bus route could help. While it would mitigate some overcrowding by introducing articulated buses (during the summer) and off-board fare payment, it may not be necessary during the winter.

I wonder if making the Q35 into a select bus route could help. While it would mitigate some overcrowding by introducing articulated buses (during the summer) and off-board fare payment, it may not be necessary during the winter.

Why do so many believe that SBS is the cure to every bus problem? How about just providing enough buses to meet the demand?

Why do so many believe that SBS is the cure to every bus problem? How about just providing enough buses to meet the demand?

I don't believe that it would be a cure; it's just something I thought about. I don't think it will actually happen anytime soon; increasing the route's frequency is the simple and obvious answer.

SBS is NOT meant to be a cure all. The issue with the Q35 is too many riders(during beach days) and jot enough buses. Outside of beach days, there isn't enough ridership to warrant SBS. Artics can help relieve some crowding during beach days.

Why do people think SBS fixes everything ? Those who think that do not understand the concept of bus rapid transit. The issue with the Q35 during beach days is crowds, not speed.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

SBS is NOT meant to be a cure all. The issue with the Q35 is too many riders(during beach days) and jot enough buses. Outside of beach days, there isn't enough ridership to warrant SBS. Artics can help relieve some crowding during beach days.

Why do people think SBS fixes everything ? Those who think that do not understand the concept of bus rapid transit. The issue with the Q35 during beach days is crowds, not speed.

JFK has the buses too, its just the mta beng stingy. Leftover xd60s not being used on the 10, RTS dont get used on weekends either. I'm  sure they have plenty of spare hybrids on weekends as well. 

It was just a thought. I also stated the below:

I don't believe that it would be a cure; it's just something I thought about. I don't think it will actually happen anytime soon; increasing the route's frequency during summer weekends is the simple and obvious answer.

Sometimes if the (MTA) just add some buses to the route reducing the headway, ridership will "magically" increase. But (MTA) is hell bent in focusing on their "guidelines" which may or may not be reasonable but may discourage new ridership. (MTA) could've used articulated on the Q35 this summer, but no... Talk about being a penny pincher

Sometimes if the (MTA) just add some buses to the route reducing the headway, ridership will "magically" increase. But (MTA) is hell bent in focusing on their "guidelines" which may or may not be reasonable but may discourage new ridership. (MTA) could've used articulated on the Q35 this summer, but no... Talk about being a penny pincher

And this is why I'm not entirely convinced that bus ridership is supposedly on the decline....

The (MTA) treats this like its all a big game.

The press release was dated in May, so they gave plenty of notice last year

I wrote to my contact at the MTA about summer Q35 service and this is what she wrote back.

"The Summer of 2016, (7) additional buses were added to Saturday scheduled service and,(4) buses were added on Sunday. This will follow suit in 2017."

I got a half page in today's Queens Chronicle describing my trip to the beach last Sunday on the Q53.

http://m.qchron.com/mobile/article_c9144508-c9ec-52a9-b05d-f374ba5c093a.html

I wrote to my contact at the MTA about summer Q35 service and this is what she wrote back.

"The Summer of 2016, (7) additional buses were added to Saturday scheduled service and, (4) buses were added on Sunday.  This will follow suit in 2017."

So what exactly does that mean? The (7) and (4) have nothing to do with the Q35.

So what exactly does that mean? The (7) and (4) have nothing to do with the Q35.

She is saying that the summer weekend Q35 schedule calls for seven additional Q35 buses on Saturday and four more buses on Sunday. Since she put the numbers in parentheses, NYTF converted them to subway lines. LOL. Sorry about the confusion.

Archived