Countdown clocks are active on the R line

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is the SubwayTime app so slow and breaks down many times?  Most of Sunday it was down all day. Also Twitter Dosent really respond to my questions about it. When it works though it’s great cause it refreshes every 5 seconds (for the new letter line data)   so you have real accurate information. But the app needs a real update.i don’t know why it crashes and stops working every few days.

14 minutes ago, Abba said:

Why is the SubwayTime app so slow and breaks down many times?  Most of Sunday it was down all day. Also Twitter Dosent really respond to my questions about it. When it works though it’s great cause it refreshes every 5 seconds (for the new letter line data)   so you have real accurate information. But the app needs a real update.i don’t know why it crashes and stops working every few days.

It's especially useless during rush hour, and most of the time that I use it on my phone it isn't available. When it does work it's very inconvenient because you can't refresh it multiple times without starting the process all over again.

Transit has the countdown clock data feeds up it seems. Much more user friendly so I’m gonna use that from now on. The one bug is its strange labeling of random trains as being last. Maybe the MTA won’t give info beyond a certain point...

• 2 weeks later...

The (D)(F)(J) and (Z) are now online in the official app.This leaves the (A) Franklin and Rock park (S) and (7) which I guess will come online before 2017.Tonight at DeKalb was an issue.It said (D) trains were stopping there southbound but they actually were not.Since this system works on WiFi beacons they said 0 when they reached DeKalb on express track.I have another question. By Grand St how does the system know which train will get there first if there is no station after Gold Street interlocking,I’ve noticed that it does pretty good by counting down before grand street.But I’m wondering if at gold street or maybe on the bridge there is some WiFi beacon that tells the system which train will get to Grand Street first.

33 minutes ago, Abba said:

The (D)(F)(J) and (Z) are now online in the official app.This leaves the (A) Franklin and Rock park (S) and (7) which I guess will come online before 2017.Tonight at DeKalb was an issue.It said (D) trains were stopping there southbound but they actually were not.Since this system works on WiFi beacons they said 0 when they reached DeKalb on express track.I have another question. By Grand St how does the system know which train will get there first if there is no station after Gold Street interlocking,I’ve noticed that it does pretty good by counting down before grand street.But I’m wondering if at gold street or maybe on the bridge there is some WiFi beacon that tells the system which train will get to Grand Street first.

I'm guessing they're waiting for CBTC to be active on the entire line before switching the (7) on.

39 minutes ago, Abba said:

The (D)(F)(J) and (Z) are now online in the official app.This leaves the (A) Franklin and Rock park (S) and (7) which I guess will come online before 2017.Tonight at DeKalb was an issue.It said (D) trains were stopping there southbound but they actually were not.

The (B) Train ended early tonight so it probably wasn't a mistake at all. Same thing happened last week with the northbound (D) Trains stopping at Dekalb Avenue after 9:30 PM. 

Hopefully whoever the MTA contracts to create the all-inclusive app Lhota was touting last summer has nothing to do with any of the current MTA apps. None of the internally built apps work as they should in any capacity. On the flipside, the outsourced MTA TrainTime apps for the LIRR and Metro-North, along with the eTix app, all work fine with minimal problems.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Hopefully whoever the MTA contracts to create the all-inclusive app Lhota was touting last summer has nothing to do with any of the current MTA apps. None of the internally built apps work as they should in any capacity. On the flipside, the outsourced MTA TrainTime apps for the LIRR and Metro-North, along with the eTix app, all work fine with minimal problems.

The MTA TrainTime apps are pretty good with information, in terms of direct Station to Station trips on the same Branch, fares, and real time status, they do lack some features that may be useful though. The way the branch services work, certain origin stations may be more desirable for your trip.

For example, If you put Valley Stream to Amityville it may have you backtrack to Jamaica, while paying extra for crossing into zone 3, possibly passing an eastbound train while traveling west to Jamaica. etc.

However, what it won't tell you is that, there is much more service, a much shorter trip, and it's cheaper($3.25) if your origin station was Rockville Center instead.  (Or, that Lynbrook has direct service)

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

When you click on 21st Street on the F on the Subway Time App it directs you to the 21st Street stop on the G. I bursted out laughing at this incompetence.

These are small issues that I’m sure can be fixed but they don’t do it when I tweet them.Also If some of these SubwayTime outages are planned they should tweet about it or at least answer other people,s tweets.I do agree the app doesn’t work a lot. 

On 11/30/2017 at 2:37 PM, Lance said:

The main problem is that the MTA is not primarily an app developer, therefore it doesn't give a crap about any of its apps.

Jay Walder had his faults, but he at least knew that much, and opened the MTA's data for everybody to see.

The SubwayTime app is down once again for the 3rd time in 3 days.Im beginning to think I they don’t care about it I’m sure they get a lot of complaints about it on Twitter . I like the app though cause it’s the only one that display the letter lines exactly the same as it does in the stations so it’s a ashame it breaks down all the time 

I have to use Transit App as a backup since Subway Time is always down. It doesn't even say it's down it just keeps "loading".

One thing they should improve is having links to connecting lines. For example if you're going uptown from 59th St Columbus Circle, You may want to take the (1) or ( (2) when it'sl ocal) or (A)(B) (C)(D)  depending on which one comes first, having go all the way back to the line selection screen only to drill back in to the same stop is annoying.

Also, it seems like the're always updating the URL path on the site, so creating browser shortcuts become obsolete every few weeks (so far).

On 12/3/2017 at 3:53 PM, N6 Limited said:

I have to use Transit App as a backup since Subway Time is always down. It doesn't even say it's down it just keeps "loading".

One thing they should improve is having links to connecting lines. For example if you're going uptown from 59th St Columbus Circle, You may want to take the (1) or ( (2) when it'sl ocal) or (A)(B) (C)(D)  depending on which one comes first, having go all the way back to the line selection screen only to drill back in to the same stop is annoying.

Also, it seems like the're always updating the URL path on the site, so creating browser shortcuts become obsolete every few weeks (so far).

Yes I said that as well an definitely agree. I really don't bother much anymore with Subway Time. I try to locate a countdown clock.  In Columbus Circle, there looks like they only have one freakin- countdown clock per platform.  I've transferred from a Southbound (1) train there numerous times and walk up the platform looking for more than the one that they have and nothing. That may explain why that part of the platform is so crowded compared to the rest of it.

• 4 weeks later...

All (A) line stations, along with those on the Franklin Ave and Rockaway Park shuttles, are now online in the SubwayTime app. The (7) will remain offline as the train-tracking system on the Flushing line is tied to CBTC and not the Bluetooth transponders found on the other lettered lines.

That’s ashame I think the public is under the assumption that (7) will go online by end of year . One good thing is the app has been behaving really good.inwish you could add favorites but I guess we can’t complain since the app is free 🙂

Archived