Monday Morning Subway Commute Goes Up In Flames

Monday Morning Subway Commute Goes Up In Flames
BY EMMA WHITFORD IN NEWS ON JUL 17, 2017 9:31 AM

It's another Monday in paradise, and the subway is snarled with delays thanks to a track fire at 145th Street. If you commute on the A, B, C, D or 4 train you're probably either trembling with relief at your desk or reading this evergreen blog post from your underground purgatory. (Thanks for the Wifi, Gov!)

Fire Dept Activity halts all southbound A B C D lines at 145 St. due to fire and heavy smoke. @ABC7NY @ABC7

@NYGovCuomo @JoeLhota see this boys: this is what everyday is like now with the MTA. Do your f**king jobs and fix it!

Gonna be late for another super import job interview AGAIN due to the MTA's BS. This time, no A/B/C/D trains are running. Which means...

... everyone is trying to get to the 1. You can't even get through the turnstiles due to the 181 St station's piss poor architecture... pic.twitter.com/YQQn0vdiUj

The FDNY received a call regarding a track fire at 145th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue in Harlem at 7:24 a.m., according to a spokesman. The fire was ongoing as of 9:00 a.m. with firefighters on the scene, and has been brought under control by 9:30 a.m. Nine people sustained non-critical injuries and were transported to local hospitals, according to the FDNY. Some A, B, C and D trains were also stalled in tunnels in the area.

Thanks a lot @MTA @nysubwaychatter train stops for a full hour no heads up no alert in any of your platforms @NYCMayor we need change

A Train not running 
1 Train stuck & not moving until further notice.
Anything more hyperbolic than "summer of hell"? Bc this is that. @MTA

Power was also removed in area, according to the MTA. The authority urged people to remain on their trains, apparently a precaution after a recent A train derailment in Harlem that prompted some riders to self-evacuate.

As a result of today's fire, there is currently no A train service between 125th Street and Inwood-207th in both directions. A train service south of 125th Street through Brooklyn is running local in both directions. B train service resumed with delays after being suspended between Bedford Park Boulevard and Brighton Beach in both directions. There is no C train service between Euclid Avenue and 168th Street in both directions.

Still with us?

D train service resumed with delays after being suspended between 125th Street and Norwood-205th Street in both directions.

As an alternate for the A and C, the MTA is advising riders to use the M3 or M4 bus or the 1 train, which frankly looks like a complete disaster.

yoooooo 1 train is insanity rn lmaooooooo

Happy Monday New York City. No explanation for this, and a swarm of ppl waiting at excessively crowded staircase upstairs. 157 on the 1.

A train suspended due to track fire. No. 1 station so crowded we can't even get to platform.

"Allow additional travel time" the MTA says. Check back for the latest status here.

i actually woke up early enough to not rush n get my coffee but clearly the mta does not want to see me flourish

Update 10:00 a.m.: Service has resumed on the A, B, C and D lines with "extensive delays" according to the NYPD.

Following earlier FDNY activity at 145 St, A, B, C and D train service has resumed with extensive delays.

Source: http://gothamist.com/2017/07/17/subway_delay_hell_fire.php

---

Unfortunately, I can post any of the pictures, but it's absolutely insane.

Yet another track fire caused by idiots littering on the tracks...

And I'll bet money that person who caused it is thinking, "thanks a lot MTA"  <_<

Of coruse its the MTAs fault that some people who ride their system are slobs and throw trash right on the tracks...

"Litter causes track fires"....

Folks wanna Bitch bitch at the slobs causing these delays when there are track fires.

The one thing I can tell you is that the MTA better start getting ahead of these stories. They have to get a major PR campaign going. To at least change the publics perception to the fact that they’re trying or doing something. I’m one for the truth but in this climate the truth doesn’t hold much power perception is what reigns. They better get on it.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Of coruse its the MTAs fault that some people who ride their system are slobs and throw trash right on the tracks...

"Litter causes track fires"....

Folks wanna Bitch bitch at the slobs causing these delays when there are track fires.

No, I think the irritation comes from yet another instance of a lack of communication.  The (MTA) has shown time and again that they can't deal with situations when a few things don't go as planned and that IMO is the biggest problem with them and has been even before these incidents started.  They can't hire people that actually know how to give correct instructions.  They're responsible for moving people and they constantly post inaccurate information, not just with the subways, but with the buses too.  It's pretty obvious that the (1) could not possibly handle the loads of all of those people from the (A) train so why not think about ALL alternatives that people could take? From 168th some people could've went up to 225th and taken Metro-North down.  I wouldn't cross honor to avoid overcrowding, but having all of those people packed on the platform doesn't make any sense either.  It essentially created a safety hazard that didn't have to exist.  They're spending 20 million dollars and can't even provide the basic commonsense things that cost next to nothing.  Instead of becoming defensive, they need to start acting. 

Someone leaving early would've still been late by the time all of this was cleared up, so that's another thing that I think people are fed up with, and believe me they are voting with their feet.  This has to be a discussion for the next governor and mayor because the City simply cannot continue to function with such abysmal service, and it's up to all New Yorkers that vote to take a stand.  It's out of control.  Blame the person for starting the fire, fine, but this is like every other week now with massive outages.  

And to think all of this has happened with a relatively mild summer. I can't even begin to imagine what would be going on if we had a really terrible summer. I would say that I'm frustrated at the simple fact that we can no longer go down to take the subway and feel as if we can get out safely, let alone on time.  It has me extremely leery of using the system, and that is not a good thing for the region.  

No, I think the irritation comes from yet another instance of a lack of communication.  The (MTA) has shown time and again that they can't deal with situations when a few things don't go as planned and that IMO is the biggest problem with them and has been even before these incidents started.  They can't hire people that actually know how to give correct instructions.  They're responsible for moving people and they constantly post inaccurate information, not just with the subways, but with the buses too.  It's pretty obvious that the (1) could not possibly handle the loads of all of those people from the (A) train so why not think about ALL alternatives that people could take? From 168th some people could've went up to 225th and taken Metro-North down.  I wouldn't cross honor to avoid overcrowding, but having all of those people packed on the platform doesn't make any sense either.  It essentially created a safety hazard that didn't have to exist.  They're spending 20 million dollars and can't even provide the basic commonsense things that cost next to nothing.  Instead of becoming defensive, they need to start acting. 

Someone leaving early would've still been late by the time all of this was cleared up, so that's another thing that I think people are fed up with, and believe me they are voting with their feet.  This has to be a discussion for the next governor and mayor because the City simply cannot continue to function with such abysmal service, and it's up to all New Yorkers that vote to take a stand.  It's out of control.  Blame the person for starting the fire, fine, but this is like every other week now with massive outages.  

And to think all of this has happened with a relatively mild summer. I can't even begin to imagine what would be going on if we had a really terrible summer. I would say that I'm frustrated at the simple fact that we can no longer go down to take the subway and feel as if we can get out safely, let alone on time.  It has me extremely leery of using the system, and that is not a good thing for the region.  

While i can understand what you are saying..

Ill just say this..

These things have been happening LONG before everyone and thier mothers have gone to social media and complain about it.

I know that their was communication train crews informed customers.

Its all over my RTO feed on FaceBook we do our jobs alert the customers.

They just didn't want to hear it.

Now im talking from a RTO perspective stations is another department which im not aware of how they do things.

No, I think the irritation comes from yet another instance of a lack of communication. The (MTA) has shown time and again that they can't deal with situations when a few things don't go as planned and that IMO is the biggest problem with them and has been even before these incidents started. They can't hire people that actually know how to give correct instructions. They're responsible for moving people and they constantly post inaccurate information, not just with the subways, but with the buses too. It's pretty obvious that the (1) could not possibly handle the loads of all of those people from the (A) train so why not think about ALL alternatives that people could take? From 168th some people could've went up to 225th and taken Metro-North down. I wouldn't cross honor to avoid overcrowding, but having all of those people packed on the platform doesn't make any sense either. It essentially created a safety hazard that didn't have to exist. They're spending 20 million dollars and can't even provide the basic commonsense things that cost next to nothing. Instead of becoming defensive, they need to start acting.

Someone leaving early would've still been late by the time all of this was cleared up, so that's another thing that I think people are fed up with, and believe me they are voting with their feet. This has to be a discussion for the next governor and mayor because the City simply cannot continue to function with such abysmal service, and it's up to all New Yorkers that vote to take a stand. It's out of control. Blame the person for starting the fire, fine, but this is like every other week now with massive outages.

And to think all of this has happened with a relatively mild summer. I can't even begin to imagine what would be going on if we had a really terrible summer. I would say that I'm frustrated at the simple fact that we can no longer go down to take the subway and feel as if we can get out safely, let alone on time. It has me extremely leery of using the system, and that is not a good thing for the region.

Hate to say it but you do have a point. It always seems like the Agency is scrambling and frantic public perception is really if they’re not in control no one‘s at the helm. That’s the energy that I feel most people are getting. If they don’t want media both social and mainstream painting the picture and telling the story they need to control the narrative. Point blank! With the saying perception is 9/10 of reality that’s really the case here.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Ill just say this..

These things have been happening LONG before everyone and thier mothers have gone to social media and complain about it.

Now im talking from a RTO perspective stations is another department which im not aware of how they do things.

Exactly, but the fact there is social media now makes it even worse.  Everyone is going to be tweeting and taking photos.  That's just the way it is.  This is something they should've been on immediately e-mailing customers that are signed up for alerts and going to Twitter and elsewhere informing people of alternatives.  Telling people to give themselves extra time is pointless, when people are already doing that.  It's an insult at this point. This goes beyond the staff on the train because quite frankly two people on the train isn't enough for something like this, and I think you folks on the trains already have your hands full as it is.  This is a situation where you either dispatch workers to the stations and or have the staff at the station do what they can to communicate alternatives.  I think the (MTA) is very lucky that no one was seriously injured, given the severe overcrowding at some of those stations.

Better yet, post the alternatives on the (MTA) website and make sure the info is accurate and you probably save yourself a lot of hassle. People definitely use it. I don't go anywhere without checking these days.  The main issue is the information is often inaccurate.

Exactly, but the fact there is social media now makes it even worse.  Everyone is going to be tweeting and taking photos.  That's just the way it is.  This is something they should've been on immediately e-mailing customers that are signed up for alerts and going to Twitter and elsewhere informing people of alternatives.  Telling people to give themselves extra time is pointless, when people are already doing that.  It's an insult at this point. This goes beyond the staff on the train because quite frankly two people on the train isn't enough for something like this, and I think you folks on the trains already have your hands full as it is.  This is a situation where you either dispatch workers to the stations and or have the staff at the station do what they can to communicate alternatives.  I think the (MTA) is very lucky that no one was seriously injured, given the severe overcrowding at some of those stations.

Better yet, post the alternatives on the (MTA) website and make sure the info is accurate and you probably save yourself a lot of hassle. People definitely use it. I don't go anywhere without checking these days.  The main issue is the information is often inaccurate.

Cannot dispute any of that..

Delays spread to Brooklyn as well. (N) ran local from 59 Street to DeKalb Avenue this morning 8:19~8:47 AM. An (R) train was on the express track at Atlantic Avenue–Bayclays Center when I checked.

I'd be curious if it would actually be quicker for someone in Washington Heights to take an NJT bus across the GWB to Fort Lee, and then take a second bus to the PABT (I guess the #156 or #159). More expensive, but you definitely avoid the crowds (I'm sure a decent amount probably took a crosstown bus to the (4) or (2), since the (B)(D) were already messed up). 

Ill just say this..

No hard feelings towards you RTOman, but that last line pretty much encapsulates the problems in the agency. The fact that two of the most interdependent departments in the TA don't talk is...criminal. You can talk all you like about public communication issues, but that doesn't mean crap if there isn't discourse within the agency. 

With proclamations like this MTA definitely needs some sort of rethink of their communications departments.

If United Airlines or some other private company said stuff like this then their PR and their communications has failed, full stop. I used to work IT support, customer service and retail and if I or my managers had any of this type of mindset we'd be gone. This is not how you treat paying customers.

With proclamations like this MTA definitely needs some sort of rethink of their communications departments.

If United Airlines or some other private company said stuff like this then their PR and their communications has failed, full stop. I used to work IT support, customer service and retail and if I or my managers had any of this type of mindset we'd be gone. This is not how you treat paying customers.

This is precisely the problem with the (MTA).  They don't treat passengers like paying customers. When faced with accountability, they become defensive and look to pass the buck.  On top of that customers aren't supposed to receive refunds save when their Metrocards aren't working properly.  Meanwhile service continues to deteriorate.  What other service can you think of where you can pay for something, never expect to receive a refund when given poor service and be allowed to get away with it? This is essentially what we have now.  The media continues to focus on it, as it should because the reality is all of us can't ditch the system.  If we did, there would be complete and utter gridlock.  

Aside from this mess this morning, there was the evening commute that was also a mess knocking out service.  More signal and switching problems leading to several lines being affected.  I guess all of the attention is being given to Penn Station while subway service sees no relief. 

Apparently there were people stuck on other trains as well:

Subway riders who had gotten on a B train at DeKalb Avenue before the line was shut down were stuck on the Manhattan Bridge for 30 minutes. Photos showed riders holding their heads in their hands, desperately looking out windows. 
"MTA NYCT and emergency crews including the FDNY responded immediately and worked to restore service as quickly as possible," the MTA said in a statement. "As an alternative, customers were sent redirected to the 1 line which experienced heavy volume. We are reviewing the entire incident, we apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate our customers' patience."
The agency says it has focused on reducing track fires with its aggressive TRACK SWEEP program that is being deployed system-wide. 

Well it's nice that they're reviewing procedures. The question is when will they actually have something in place?   <_< 

Riders continued to face headaches during the evening rush: a sick customer at West 4th Street-Washington Square briefly caused delays on the northbound C and E trains, and trains skipped some stations. Service has since resumed, but switch problems at Canal Street were continued to cause problems on the A, C and E lines. 

Some sort of FDNY activity at Lexington Avenue-63rd Street at 4 p.m. briefly caused F trains to run on the M line northbound and on the E line southbound, and then at 5:45 p.m., a train with mechanical problems at 57th Street delayed southbound F trains. Signal problems at Court Square also delayed 7 trains and caused crowding at Grand Central Terminal, photos posted to social media showed.

DE99y5JVwAAgJgm.jpg

Source: Lights Out: 9 Hurt as Fire Cripples NYC Subways During Morning Rush | NBC New York http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NJ-Transit-Morris--Essex-Line-Suspended-Both-Directions-434917503.html#ixzz4n8tQ3WuA 

Follow us: @nbcnewyork on Twitter | NBCNewYork on Facebook

Did they ever follow through with that plan to station EMTs in major stations like West 4th? That would at least help with the sick customer situations.

They could have someone trained in first aid as the third person in each train to try stabilizing sick passengers until the train and emergency personnel can meet at a station.

They could have someone trained in first aid as the third person in each train to try stabilizing sick passengers until the train and emergency personnel can meet at a station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_fSycI71I

Something interesting from across the pond, crazy guy fighting police on the subway does NOT cause delays. At 2:00 law enforcement boards, doors close, train leaves station, while the perp is delt with while the train is moving between stations. No delay to service.

The MTA can barely afford two people a train. I don't know how they're supposed to afford three.

Something interesting from across the pond, crazy guy fighting police on the subway does NOT cause delays. At 2:00 law enforcement boards, doors close, train leaves station, while the perp is delt with while the train is moving between stations. No delay to service.

In New York, someone would get hurt on the moving train, sue the MTA and NYPD, and win. Russia does not have a comparable legal system (as in, we have two completely different types of law), so that is not an issue for them.

No hard feelings towards you RTOman, but that last line pretty much encapsulates the problems in the agency. The fact that two of the most interdependent departments in the TA don't talk is...criminal. You can talk all you like about public communication issues, but that doesn't mean crap if there isn't discourse within the agency. 

My point is as long as operating crews do what THEY are supposed to do..

I cannot control why the other departments cannot function..

We are in the trenches dealing with the customers they arent.

I suggest y'all start writing your elected officials, perhaps they can help.

If  some of ones who the trains arent listening whos going to make them?

Sorta like the folks with the I phones in their ears when you say to them "Last stop sir/madam yet they still listening to that music.

Last time i checked people are adults right?

Maybe you misunderstood me...

Archived