Track Worker 8600 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.0146181ce93fa58744dcf143f3d1d7aa.png

Track Worker, Exam No. 8600

List Status:  This list has been established as of January 8, 2020.

Pay: Starts at $24.77 and increases to

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (3400's) - For Medical: (3500's)

Next Training Class:

Resources: 2016 Track Participants Safety Guide

Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process Topic

(Updated 4/18/2023)

So there only two options for the commutation pass? ( I’m assuming this is for our riding pass?  )LIR AND metro north? What happened to regular transit? I don’t ever take LIR OR METRO north. Does this mean we still have to pay to ride the subway after being hired?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kidbx175 said:

So there only two options for the commutation pass? ( I’m assuming this is for our riding pass?  )LIR AND metro north? What happened to regular transit? I don’t ever take LIR OR METRO north. Does this mean we still have to pay to ride the subway after being hired?

I think it’s automatically free on nyc transit and you have the option to either have LIRR or Metro North. One or the other added to your free nyc transit pass (subway & buses) that’s what was explained to me from the train operator class 

5 hours ago, Kidbx175 said:

Your pass (work ID) allows you to ride NYCT (Buses+Subway+SIR) for free. That's never changed. The commutation pass is added on top if you use the railroads. Officially, you still have to pay for the ride, if you don't have the matching commutation pass.

10 hours ago, Chris127 said:

Ojt is about 3 weeks not sure on how many classes a month they will have and yes there is a mass retirement in track track has to have at least 1900 personal 

If I remember the induction process correctly, this is how your first 5-6 weeks will look like when you start at transit:

First two days :  Orientation at  195 Montague st.

Days 3 through 10:  You will go to the transit learning center at 2125 W 13th st for track worker training.  Somewhere in this period you will do your mini pick, and they will allow you to pick, in seniority order, whether you want to do your OJT at one of the yards in Brooklyn or in the Bronx.

Days 11 - 31:  On the job training in one of the yards you picked in school.  You will also have you take courses in fire safety, how to wear the half face mask, among other things in this period. 

Day 32+:  You will go into the field at whatever pick job you selected at the mini pick.  You would have been scheduled for flagging while at the TLC, so you will attend it at what ever time place they instructed you to. 

Remember, if you work any night tour like 10pm to 6am, or 11pm to 7am, the date you work for is the date that you sign off at. The day/date you work for is the one where the majority scheduled hours fall on. Keep this in mind when you do your mini pick. 

Example 1:  If my tour is 10pm to 6am and I'm scheduled to work Monday, May 3rd 2021, I MUST report to my work location on Sunday May 2nd at 10pm, work my tour, and clock out at 6am on Monday May 3rd.  You are working Sunday night for Monday because the majority of your time working falls on the Monday.

Example 2:  Your tour is 11pm - 7am, and your RDO (Regular Days Off) is Sunday / Monday.  This means that you DO NOT report to work at 11pm on Saturday or Sunday, but you MUST report to work at 11pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  

Example 3:  I'm 10p-6a with a Fri/Sat RDO.  I report to work at 10pm Saturday through Wednesday, and I don't report in on Thursday nights or Friday nights.

Read a few things and can’t quote it all. 

pass let’s you ride train/bus for free you can add the option to also have LIRR or metro north free on it.

orientation is 3 week and ojt is 3 weeks.

For night tour. sun/mon days off mean you are off Saturday night and Sunday night.

fri/sat days off mean you are off Thursday night and Friday night 

they told you to bring your glasses because you will have to take a vision test, (I’m assuming you only took drug test). You will take ekg, vision, hearing, small physical (touch your toes etc.) and another piss test for sugar levels and such. You will than sit down with someone and go over your resume one last time to make a final copy for the mta and sign a bunch of other papers and be sworn in.

realistically a second class can start 3 weeks after May 3rd and probably will.

23 hours ago, Vlissengen said:

Question, is notarizing the NYCERS form needed? Reading contradictory info from both instruction sheets I printed out. 

Any advice on which boots to order? I need to know which boots are the widest because I have wide feet and most boots hurt my pinky toe.

10 minutes ago, Kidbx175 said:

Any advice on which boots to order? I need to know which boots are the widest because I have wide feet and most boots hurt my pinky toe.

Any boot you choose off the safegard website got the option of wide width  

4 minutes ago, Chris127 said:

Any boot you choose off the safegard website got the option of wide width  

Yeah I see that but just  by the looks of some of the pictures some of the boots look more narrow then others that’s why I asked. My feet are horrible when it comes to boots.

31 minutes ago, Kidbx175 said:

Yeah I see that but just  by the looks of some of the pictures some of the boots look more narrow then others that’s why I asked. My feet are horrible when it comes to boots.

23231 have memory foam in them and they are a wider boot 

What’s up everyone looking forward to seeing everyone on may 5th. I have a question though what is the likely hood that we’ll get a day time shift instead of overnight? I’m asking because i have a small child and my wife and i schedule  wouldn't aline if i worked overnight.

36 minutes ago, 9thGenAccord said:

What’s up everyone looking forward to seeing everyone on may 5th. I have a question though what is the likely hood that we’ll get a day time shift instead of overnight? I’m asking because i have a small child and my wife and i schedule  wouldn't aline if i worked overnight.

It all depends on what transit needs at the time you guys come in im hearing theres going to be a couple of yard gangs which means it will be day time spots, also the reason for the hiring i was told was there wasn’t enough bodies overnight so anything can happen working for transit.... theres talks of a mass pick happening in june 

46 minutes ago, Chris127 said:

It all depends on what transit needs at the time you guys come in im hearing theres going to be a couple of yard gangs which means it will be day time spots, also the reason for the hiring i was told was there wasn’t enough bodies overnight so anything can happen working for transit.... theres talks of a mass pick happening in june 

You heard they wanted an X amount or?

6 hours ago, 9thGenAccord said:

What’s up everyone looking forward to seeing everyone on may 5th. I have a question though what is the likely hood that we’ll get a day time shift instead of overnight? I’m asking because i have a small child and my wife and i schedule  wouldn't aline if i 

1 hour ago, QueensJT said:

Whats up guys new to the forum, I recieved the pre employment form and sent it back before the deadline but never heard anything back. My list number is in the low 200s, anyone know if people in the 200s have been contacted?

1 hour ago, QueensJT said:

Whats up guys new to the forum, I recieved the pre employment form and sent it back before the deadline but never heard anything back. My list number is in the low 200s, anyone know if people in the 200s have been contacted?

Well it’s supposed to be 25 people for the may 3rd class and then June 7th class not sure how many but probably another 25 a lot of people have either declined the position or not qualified. Just a heads up if you have any medical issues that might require your doctor to say your all good to work try to get it done soon or after you find out the medical date because I see a lot of ppl fail the medical and then u get put on hold but that doesn’t mean they will hold a spot for u.

19 hours ago, QueensJT said:

Highest number I personally know was low 190s. Believe if you call DCAS they can tell you what was the last number called.