Riders Rally in Manhattan for Answers Ahead of L Train Shutdown

Via Garibaldi 8

I don't feel like quoting fifty million posts right now, so I'll just do this like this...

Their complaining about compromised air quality by itself is justified... The problem I have with the complaint as a whole is that it's sending off the message to the general public that the community would be open to taking bus service; public perception..... I almost want to call it fake outrage.... To sum up the point, it's not really about diesel buses, as much as it's about putting up with something other than a train.....

It's kinda like the age-old "putting up the toilet seat" spat that lovers would get into... It's never about the f***ing toilet seat.

Nobody wants their rail service temporarily or permanently revoked, but at the same time, nobody wants to end up suffering from whatever ramifications that can ensue in the future from not having the necessary work that has to get done in those tunnels either....

To sum it up, I'm not convinced that they want to deal with buses in any facet.... Generally speaking, they're not doing it up there w/ the current B32 & they're doing it at a diminished rate with the B62.... These new-age hipsters in this city don't take public buses like that....

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Look , here's my solution to the problem:

Have an SBS Shuttle Bus operate from Bedford Av on the (L) to Marcy Avenue on the (J)(V)(Z) , with its own dedicated bus lanes and prioritized traffic lights, and these buses depart from Bedford Avenue every time a train terminates at Bedford. This adds 10 minutes to someone's commute at most.

I don't have any comment about your proposal itself, but I more want to make a general point (not directed at you, per se)....

They've (MTA) professed to SBS-ing 14th street to try to appease/quell the upcoming madness from the masses with this (L) shutdown, but AFAIK, they haven't put out what would be done on the Brooklyn end as far as shuttling (to/from Manhattan) goes..... I haven't heard/read anything from anyone in the community yet as to what would be (even, somewhat) acceptable either..... It's no doubt that that end of Williamsburg (north-of-Broadway) has definitely grown, but as far as public transportation goes, they are not all that progressive.... It is either the (L) or bust.... That needs to change, shutdown or no shutdown......

Like, what exactly do they want, other than anything having to do with the (L)? Other community boards are more vocal about public transportation than others, but from what I've been told about Brooklyn CB1, it's that Greenpoint patrons do the lion's share of the talking/speaking out in those meetings (according to a former acquaintance), while Williamsburg gets all the credit from any and everything that results from it...

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Look , here's my solution to the problem:

Have an SBS Shuttle Bus operate from Bedford Av on the (L) to Marcy Avenue on the (J)(V)(Z) , with its own dedicated bus lanes and prioritized traffic lights, and these buses depart from Bedford Avenue every time a train terminates at Bedford. This adds 10 minutes to someone's commute at most.

I was hearing at one point they were looking into a Lorimer Street (G)(L) direct route via Borinquen and on/off ramp to Essex via HOV or bus lane. Don't know if Bedford,Wythe or Driggs could handle the amount of buses/ frequency needed. But I haven't seen any of proposals reflect Lorimer that would seem to be the fastest route between two points and best average if they had to create one route.  I agree with B35 in the sense that community leaders should be doing some type of due diligence to understand what it is they want or at least test, understand or question what's being proposed. And as I said before the MTA just needs to come clean there's a limit to what's technically possible they just need to state that when that ceiling is hit. What's the math? It takes 11 buses to Equal one Train? At that point, if it's not good enough for the CB they need to have a plan.

On 12/7/2017 at 2:43 PM, Lawrence St said:

VG8, I'm not calling you out, your one of my friends and you go through the same troubles I do. But seriously, there is a point where constant whining will not get anyone anywhere.

There’s always the off chance that the right person inside (MTA) reads this (other) obscure transport site and discussions like this influence actions or thought processes prior to actions...

23 minutes ago, Deucey said:

There’s always the off chance that the right person inside (MTA) reads this (other) obscure transport site and discussions like this influence actions or thought processes prior to actions...

A few people in the  (MTA) do.. I'm sure of it. ;)

48 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

This is probably why they should have built a new station on the Broadway El at Union Ave, for a connection between the (G)(J)(M)(Z) instead of rebuilding Hewes and Lorimer.

No one saw the Sandy scenario ever playing out. Not to bad of a idea tho. Remember the MTA is just coming back from that low 30 years ago. They had to make good on old promises along with a state of good repair keeping it all going.. Maybe it's something they'll look at moving forward with redundancy. That new station would need to Absorb the ridership for both stations and transferring passthrough riders.. What's the stats on the (J) west of Bway Jct? 100k? 120k a day?

3 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

No one saw the Sandy scenario ever playing out. Not to bad of a idea tho. Remember the MTA is just coming back from that low 30 years ago. They had to make good on old promises along with a state of good repair keeping it all going.. Maybe it's something they'll look at moving forward with redundancy. That new station would need to Absorb the ridership for both stations and transferring passthrough riders.. What's the stats on the (J) west of Bway Jct? 100k? 120k a day?

On the Nassau Street Line alone its 110k, so maybe somewhere around 170-180k?

4 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Just run the regular (M) with maybe some trains via 63rd if 53rd has congestion 

Thank you. No need to penalize all of the Jamaica line to satisfy NYC politican's fascination with the (L). Leave the (J)/WillyB alone. It would be unjust not to. 

PS Congrats Doug Jones!!!

43 minutes ago, ioas said:

Honestly why can't they just walk? 

We could even dam the east river if that'd be faster. You'd probably save at least 10 mins by walking directly across versus doing any of these cringy alternatives. 

Don't know what to make of this.. Do you speak English?

I would have done it differently

You would have L shuttle buses along side the m14 8th ave to the new ferry dock

And an L shuttle bus along 14th street from 8th ave to essex street on the (J) and (M)

On brooklyn side i would have a shuttle bus from bedford ave (L) to foot of williamsburg bridge and they can get on the (J) and (M) train

Another shuttle bus from bedford ave running nonstop to queens plaza where people can transfer to either the (E)(M)(N)(R) or (7)

No bike lane built and not closing 14th street

The news said people will take another train anyways

8 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I would have done it differently

You would have L shuttle buses along side the m14 8th ave to the new ferry dock

And an L shuttle bus along 14th street from 8th ave to essex street on the (J) and (M)

On brooklyn side i would have a shuttle bus from bedford ave (L) to foot of williamsburg bridge and they can get on the (J) and (M) train

Another shuttle bus from bedford ave running nonstop to queens plaza where people can transfer to either the (E)(M)(N)(R) or (7)

No bike lane built and not closing 14th street

The news said people will take another train anyways

That's literally exactly what the M14 SBS is supposed to be - extra bus service (in addition to the current M14 service, not replacing it) running from 8th Av station to the ferry docks.

Also the projections are that most (L) riders will switch to new subway lines, but not all. Also, since many (L) train riders' final destinations are right along 14th St (according to the MTA's transit models) it makes sense to bring them across the Williamsburg Bridge since it's the closest way to 14th St. And since there's no other subway service at 1 Av, it needs a replacement shuttle bus to Brooklyn. You really can't expect riders there to make their way over to Union Square, Houston St or Delancey/Essex for the subway to Brooklyn and then ask them to transfer one or two more times. 

And ferries' capacity are pretty small relative to other transit modes. They're not enough on their own. It seems you're so against adding any new bus or bikes lanes that you would rather force every single (L) train rider crossing the East River to either pack onto another train or take a ferry. Also you're proposing adding two new bus lines on 14th St but it seems you don't want to add in bus lanes to accommodate them, so presumably they'd just get caught in traffic? 

14 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

That's literally exactly what the M14 SBS is supposed to be - extra bus service (in addition to the current M14 service, not replacing it) running from 8th Av station to the ferry docks.

Also the projections are that most (L) riders will switch to new subway lines, but not all. Also, since many (L) train riders' final destinations are right along 14th St (according to the MTA's transit models) it makes sense to bring them across the Williamsburg Bridge since it's the closest way to 14th St. And since there's no other subway service at 1 Av, it needs a replacement shuttle bus to Brooklyn. You really can't expect riders there to make their way over to Union Square, Houston St or Delancey/Essex for the subway to Brooklyn and then ask them to transfer one or two more times. 

And ferries' capacity are pretty small relative to other transit modes. They're not enough on their own. It seems you're so against adding any new bus or bikes lanes that you would rather force every single (L) train rider crossing the East River to either pack onto another train or take a ferry. Also you're proposing adding two new bus lines on 14th St but it seems you don't want to add in bus lanes to accommodate them, so presumably they'd just get caught in traffic? 

Im one who strikes a balance, polly's cars are bad kick is insanity and i should have added that i have no problems with bus lanes

Archived