Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On the SIM11, I had someone in my group furious. A friend and all other passengers were thrown off of the bus. The driver was instructed to turn into a SIM6 with no SIM11 in sight. He said he was going to complain to the Union about it. The change came from Command. The guy from Command said he didn’t care if there were passengers. Discharge them and turn into a SIM6.

Was there a SIM11 shortly behind, while there was no SIM6 for a while?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They will likely try to gut off-peak service on lines like the QM4 and BxM4. They may also target the QM2 and QM20. I think they want to get rid as many express buses in Queens as possible.

I think that the (MTA)'s master plan is to get rid of all of the express buses outside of SI and force people onto "alternatives". NYCT tried to do that in 1995, but people opposed. Hopefully people oppose to these cuts. If anything sell the route you want to cut to a private operator.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:06 PM, danielhg121 said:

So if it’s equipment problems, why are they taking so long to order new buses? I heard they pushed back the express bus order...

They keep pushing back the express bus order because they want to keep testing fancy nonsense instead of ordering more of what works.

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The ferry isn't run by the (MTA), so no. Express buses are crucial to the areas they serve.

The ferry isn't run by the MTA, but the city pays the MTA to run the bus company routes (which the BxMs, QMs and BMs fall under). Not saying it's the right thing to do, but he's not necessarily incorrect with his statement. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

7 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The ferry isn't run by the MTA, but the city pays the MTA to run the bus company routes (which the BxMs, QMs and BMs fall under). Not saying it's the right thing to do, but he's not necessarily incorrect with his statement. 

That's correct.  The City DOT runs the Staten Island ferry, and works with other city agencies and private ferry operators to run the other ferry services.  NYC  subsidizes those services HEAVILY.

Planned Detour 
Effective immediately
Southbound SIM6 and SIM11 terminal on 57 St at Lexington Av has been relocated to alleviate congestion on 57 St

Please use the new terminal on Lexington Av at 56 St.

Seems like the SIM6 and SIM11 bus terminals have been changed to alleviate congestion.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:44 PM, Lil 57 said:

I think that the (MTA)'s master plan is to get rid of all of the express buses outside of SI and force people onto "alternatives". NYCT tried to do that in 1995, but people opposed. Hopefully people oppose to these cuts. If anything sell the route you want to cut to a private operator.

They tried it in 2008 or 2009 to cut all express bus routes outside of SI, and again, communities opposed. They do need their express buses for Boroughs. But to crowd the subways is pathetic 

4 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

They tried it in 2008 or 2009 to cut all express bus routes outside of SI, and again, communities opposed. They do need their express buses for Boroughs. But to crowd the subways is pathetic 

We’ll always oppose it because the “alternative” has NEVER worked. The City agreed many years ago that areas without subways were at a disadvantage and the way to give such neighborhoods a more level playing field was to provide express bus service. There has been NO subway expansion in the outer boroughs in decades, and there will likely never be enough money to expand them, so no subway expansion and no express bus service means that we’re back to square one, with subway rich areas primarily in tony parts of Manhattan having an upper hand where you have the MOST transportation alternatives (lots of bus service, tons of yellow taxis, etc). The MTA also doesn’t give a damn about subway accessibility. The only reason they have installed the escalators and elevators that they have is because they have been sued to do so by disabled groups.  When they rehab subway stations and have a chance to make them ADA accessible, they cite it being “too expensive” to do so, so basically when it comes to the outer boroughs, we can pay taxes like every other area in the City, but we’re not supposed to have decent transportation, and that is something we won’t accept in the 21st century. Absolutely NOT.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We’ll always oppose it because the “alternative” has NEVER worked. The City agreed many years ago that areas without subways were at a disadvantage and the way to give such neighborhoods a more level playing field was to provide express bus service. There has been NO subway expansion in the outer boroughs in decades, and there will likely never be enough money to expand them, so no subway expansion and no express bus service means that we’re back to square one, with subway rich areas primarily in tony parts of Manhattan having an upper hand where you have the MOST transportation alternatives (lots of bus service, tons of yellow taxis, etc). The MTA also doesn’t give a damn about subway accessibility. The only reason they have installed the escalators and elevators that they have is because they have been sued to do so by disabled groups.  When they rehab subway stations and have a chance to make them ADA accessible, they cite it being “too expensive” to do so, so basically when it comes to the outer boroughs, we can pay taxes like every other area in the City, but we’re not supposed to have decent transportation, and that is something we won’t accept in the 21st century. Absolutely NOT.

Ever since the MTA took over in 1968, it was downhill for the NYCTA. No subway expansions since the 63rd Street tubes opened to trains in 1989. Everything is in Manhattan. Yet, the outer boros like you said got lesser attention. This is why they X buses. If they cut X buses, then you got no alternatives for faster routes into the city. 

16 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Seems like the SIM6 and SIM11 bus terminals have been changed to alleviate congestion.

Yes that and citing reliability. They want these buses moving and not getting bogged down up by 57th Street.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Other developments:

-Surpassed 1,000 members last weekend.

-Awaiting the April service improvements for the SIM network. It is not clear what that will entail, but with the local Staten Island group, we support the following:

-Restoration of X4

-Restoration of X14 and X18

-Restoration of X7

-Restoration of SIM2

There have been a LITANY of complaints about the SIM10 and service being cut back too early. Additionally, the loss of numerous SIM9 trips has caused long waits and gaps in service. We’ve also seen continued overcrowding on the following lines: SIM1, SIM2, SIM5 SIM1C - SIM1C overcrowding is offen on weekends and late at night, due to gaps in service and long waits. Gaps in service on the SIM22. 

-We continue to monitor the Union Turnpike corridor. We were told that the QM2 and QM20 will be looked at, but we also will be following up on the run times for thr Union Turnoike corridor this weekend in our comments re: the most recent meeting.

A little earlier, a express bus customer wrote to the Express Bus Advocacy Group inquiring about the SIM4C running later on weekends. Given the current issues on Staten Island, expanding the SIM4C on weekends is something that we are willing to urge the (MTA) to look at at a later date. Currently the (MTA) runs the SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C and SIM33C on Saturdays and Sundays. If and when the SIM2 returns on weekends, that would be five express buses running. The old network ran the X1, X10 and X17 on weekends, so that would be an improvement with two additional express bus lines added. This service costs money and thus resources are not endless. 

The SIM1C runs 24/7, and the SIM33C has a 00:10 trip back to Staten Island, which is relatively new given that the old X10 ran untl 23:40 or so back to Staten Island for years until recently, so express bus service has certainly improved in terms of the span length. As ridership on the SIM4C grows, we will ask the (MTA) to undertake a study to see if running the SIM4C later on weekends would be feasible and cost efficient given the other lines that run currently late into the night on weekends. 

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A little earlier, a express bus customer wrote to the Express Bus Advocacy Group inquiring about the SIM4C running later on weekends. Given the current issues on Staten Island, expanding the SIM4C on weekends is something that we are willing to urge the (MTA) to look at at a later date. Currently the (MTA) runs the SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C and SIM33C on Saturdays and Sundays. If and when the SIM2 returns on weekends, that would be five express buses running. The old network ran the X1, X10 and X17 on weekends, so that would be an improvement with two additional express bus lines added. This service costs money and thus resources are not endless. 

The SIM1C runs 24/7, and the SIM33C has a 00:10 trip back to Staten Island, which is relatively new given that the old X10 ran untl 23:40 or so back to Staten Island for years until recently, so express bus service has certainly improved in terms of the span length. As ridership on the SIM4C grows, we will ask the (MTA) to undertake a study to see if running the SIM4C later on weekends would be feasible and cost efficient given the other lines that run currently late into the night on weekends. 

The X10 hasn't ended at 23:40 on Saturday for a long time. I'd say at least 10 years. 

1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The X10 hasn't ended at 23:40 on Saturday for a long time. I'd say at least 10 years. 

I'm not so sure about that.  That seems to go back too far. I can recall taking the last X10 on Saturdays from 57th street or along 5th, and it certainly wasn't the 00:10 either. I know because I used to lament having to leave the City at that time.  It meant finishing up wine and dinner earlier than I wanted at times, or having to leave a bar with friends to catch the last bus or trying to get the X1 later.

43 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

39 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not so sure about that.  That seems to go back too far. I can recall taking the last X10 on Saturdays from 57th street or along 5th, and it certainly wasn't the 00:10 either. I know because I used to lament having to leave the City at that time.  It meant finishing up wine and dinner earlier than I wanted at times, or having to leave a bar with friends to catch the last bus or trying to get the X1 later.

@Via Garibaldi 8 is right. Before 2015, the SB X10 ended at 11:45 PM on Saturdays.

September 2015: https://web.archive.org/web/20150905150656/http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x010cur.pdf (Last trip 12:10 AM)

August 2014: https://web.archive.org/web/20150427184005/http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x010cur.pdf (Last trip 11:45 PM)

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

There’s something really strange going on with the QM24/25/34 this morning. There’s literally no service right now on the tracker for the Qm24, markedly cut service on the Qm25 and Qm34. Is the time change really screwing up that many people?

There were missing QM25s this morning. QM25 rider posted a picture of a LONGGGG line on Eliot Avenue. There was a ghost bus on the QM24 and buses 30 minutes LATE!! I don’t know what in the hell goes on with the (MTA) on Mondays but they have unfilled trips all over the place, even on lines that are only every 30 minutes. There was no 08:30 BxM2 this morning and I also could not find the 06:30 BxM2 anywhete, just a 06:00 and a 6:45...

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Today is March 11th.  If there is no QM1 5:30pm trip come March 20th, we will have gone at least ONE month with NO QM1 5:30pm trip. I have NEVER seen anything more egregious...

It's almost laughable, if it wasn't so frustrating.

On a related note, I've been taking off-peak buses some days into and out of the city because of my new work schedule, and damn, these buses are full for a bunch of hours outside of "rush hour." Even now, I am on the 9:10 QM5 and there are at least 30 people on the bus. When they try to make the massive cuts, I'm gonna have to consider moving or changing my work locations, because there is no way I''m taking the subway every day.

11 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

It's almost laughable, if it wasn't so frustrating.

On a related note, I've been taking off-peak buses some days into and out of the city because of my new work schedule, and damn, these buses are full for a bunch of hours outside of "rush hour." Even now, I am on the 9:10 QM5 and there are at least 30 people on the bus. When they try to make the massive cuts, I'm gonna have to consider moving or changing my work locations, because there is no way I''m taking the subway every day.

The subway is a mess. Tonight I wrote Assemblyman Weprin, as well as the Comptroller’s Office requesting that an audit be done.We don’t necessarily need to meet but if they want to that’s fine also. I wanted to first show a pattern of how they are literally running service into the ground on various lines. This morning was a mess. Various people posting about how not one, not two, but THREE buses were MIAA, leading to PACKED SRO conditions. 

I saw a pm QM1 today that appeared to be from LaGuardia. I’m pretty sure the depot sticker was red. I believe it was 3285. It just made a drop off at 188th and 73rd Avenue around 5:40 so maybe it was the 4:30 bus? 

At least the MTA isn’t full of it when they say that CP is short on buses to make runs.

12 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I saw a pm QM1 today that appeared to be from LaGuardia. I’m pretty sure the depot sticker was red. I believe it was 3285. It just made a drop off at 188th and 73rd Avenue around 5:40 so maybe it was the 4:30 bus? 

At least the MTA isn’t full of it when they say that CP is short on buses to make runs.

I guess LGA is filling in, I took the QM11 once and it was an LGA bus as well.

Edited by Lil 57

I'm going to put this here... I don't know who it is that keeps e-mailing the advocacy group, but I want to be clear about something.  We do this as VOLUNTEERS.  We are NOT paid to run this advocacy group, and we have full-time jobs.  Whoever wrote to the group most recently with suggestions and questions... We welcome them, but at the same time, telling us that you didn't get a response a few days ago when you wrote... We'll get back to folks when we can.  We are doing this for the good of all passengers because we need reliable transportation.

To be clear, on Staten Island, we are focusing on the following ONLY for now:

-Supporting the local Staten Island group in improving the current routes, and restoring the X4, and X7

-Additionally, we have agreed to focus on specific projects to help out, and in addition to supporting the current efforts, we are focusing on the following:

-Restoring the X14, X18 and SIM2 off-peak

-Restoring bus stops where feasible, such along the SIM30 west of Richmond Avenue

These projects are PRIMARY.  Anything else being suggested would take place later.  For now the focus is on alleviating the biggest problems given budgetary constraints.

For the person that wrote to us most recently, since you are here on the forums, we're going to answer your questions here:

1.  Restoring the old X14:

We have been speaking with the (MTA) about bringing back the X14 and we made it very clear in our most recent meeting with them that we need it back.  We discussed possible routing as well.  We're open to have it start along Forest Avenue (Forest and Jewett perhaps) and then run with the SIM35 on Staten Island, to then take the old X14 routing with some modifications, which is via the FDR, via 23rd street and then have it terminate at Central Park South and 6th Avenue if they don't want it going all the way to 57th and 11th Avenue as it used to.  We understand the added cost to the old route and the additional time it took having it run across 57th to 11th so it can be cut back for that reason.  When we hear more about updates, we'll post them here.  As we noted earlier, more improvements are coming soon for the April pick.

2.  SIM33 along the old X10 route Bradley Av & Richmond Av:

As we have more improvements, we will follow up on this. I do know that some SIM31 riders have been unhappy and if service can be tweaked to help more people, we will certainly ask that the (MTA) have a look at it.

3. Creating a Midtown variant of the SIM15:

There was never a Midtown variant of the old X15.  That said, the reasonable thing to do would be to see if there is demand for such a route, and if so how much and how many riders would benefit, otherwise the existing services may work.  

We are here to make service EFFICIENT and cost-effective where possible, not propose a gazillion different routes.  Funding is NOT endless.