MaBSTOA B/O Exam #0100

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_mabstoa.png.19ff1ec7c7077459c532f8ddcb207f87.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 0100

List Status:  This list has been established as of

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $26.19 per hour for a 40-hour week increasing to
$37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class:

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, Alena said:

Has anyone been able to apply for the 0100 exam? All other b/o applications used to have this "Apply now" button, but this one doesn't have it next to the NOE link. Am i doing something wrong?

If you read the Notice of Examination very carefully, on the third page there is a URL link in blue. If you click on it, it will bring you to the exact same page that the "Apply Now" button would bring you to.

Just a side note: For me, personally, I initially got an error message with "cookies being enabled" or something to that nature. To make a long story short, after "refreshing" the page several times, it finally came up without changing any settings. In addition, as the third page of the Notice of Examination states, you can also go to a local public library to submit your application.

Edited by +Young+

On 8/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, Alena said:

Has anyone been able to apply for the 0100 exam? All other b/o applications used to have this "Apply now" button, but this one doesn't have it next to the NOE link. Am i doing something wrong?

Either IE OR FIREFOX WILL ASK ABOUT COOKIES AND THIRD PARTY, IF IT DOES THAT CLOSE THE BROWSER AND OPEN IT AGAIN.  To apply and pay for exams you should have an account with mta career == ==>   https://hcm.mymta.info/psc/HCPRD/SELFSERVICE/HXMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&TargetFrameName=None    <==== however, if you click on the link and it sends you to the page where actual MTA EMPLOYEES USE TO SIGN IN AND APPLY FOR EXAMS ===== CLOSE IT AND OPEN IT AGAIN.

Its not you it's the MTA website. I have a PC and the link regularly does that. If you have a Mac or iPhone it is not that cumbersome. Oh also when you create an account if you haven't already please remember your password and username, sometimes the site wont remember it and it will give you and error. If it does that close browser, open it again or hit refresh  or just USE FIREFOX, A MAC OR IPHONE. 

They don't allow you to print the application anymore, now you have to go to 180 Livingston for the paper exams. I have never pay for these exams so that's what I have to do.

TO SIGN IN AND PAY FOR EXAMS (0100)

https://hcm.mymta.info/psc/HCPRD/SELFSERVICE/HXMS/c/B_CUSTOM_MENU.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?FOCUS=Applicant&FolderPath=PORTAL_ROOT_OBJECT.B_HRS_CE_EXAMS&IsFolder=false&IgnoreParamTempl=FolderPath%2cIsFolder&& 

Edited by misslo

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, all,

I am prepared for this test in December.  My question is, what would disqualify you when it comes to your driving record?  I had my license suspended earlier this year for an unpaid ticket I forgot about but took care of it ASAP.  Also, I have one ticket in judgment. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On 9/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, rickdarula11 said:

Greetings, all,

I am prepared for this test in December.  My question is, what would disqualify you when it comes to your driving record?  I had my license suspended earlier this year for an unpaid ticket I forgot about but took care of it ASAP.  Also, I have one ticket in judgment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When the time comes for you to report to the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street for pre-employment processing, one of the things they will do is run your abstract. As a result of this incident taking place, in which I was able to take my paperwork with me, I learned that they run the standard abstract and not the newer CDL abstract or anything to that nature. For New York residents, click here if you wish to obtain your own abstract through the DMV's website.

As far as what would disqualify you: Within the past three years of you reporting to pre-employment processing, if you have any suspensions, revocations, DWI, DUI or anything to that nature, you will not be allowed to continue. In addition, if you have any unpaid or pending tickets, court dates, more than two accidents (regardless of who was at fault), more than four points on your license, you will not be allowed to continue. If you did take any "Defensive Driving Classes," for this purpose they do not count.

In addition, as per the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, you must have either a Class B CDL (Commercial Driver's License) or a Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) with a "P" endorsement with no disqualifying restrictions such as "N1" or "N2". If you have an A3, B, E, K or M restriction, you're fine (click here and scroll to the second page for the entire list). I have seen people that got turned away because they don't have either the CDL, CLP, the wrong class (such as a Class "C" CDL compared to a Class "B"), or, in one case, an applicant had the Class "B" CDL, but as a result of him/her taking a road test in a box truck and not a bus, he/she had the N2 restriction, which is unacceptable.

If you need help studying for the CLP, I would check out cristcdl.com. I personally made index cards with the practice test questions, and between using the index cards 75 to 80% percent of the time, and reading the book 20 to 25% of the time, I successfully got my CLPs, respectfully.

Edited by +Young+

23 hours ago, +Young+ said:

When the time comes for you to report to the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street for pre-employment processing, one of the things they will do is run your abstract. As a result of this incident taking place, in which I was able to take my paperwork with me, I learned that they run the standard abstract and not the newer CDL abstract or anything to that nature. For New York residents, click here if you wish to obtain your own abstract through the DMV's website.

As far as what would disqualify you: Within the past three years of you reporting to pre-employment processing, if you have any suspensions, revocations, DWI, DUI or anything to that nature, you will not be allowed to continue. In addition, if you have any unpaid or pending tickets, court dates, more than two accidents (regardless of who was at fault), more than four points on your license, you will not be allowed to continue. If you did take any "Defensive Driving Classes," for this purpose they do not count.

In addition, as per the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, you must have either a Class B CDL (Commercial Driver's License) or a Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) with a "P" endorsement with no disqualifying restrictions such as "N1" or "N2". If you have an A3, B, E, K or M restriction, you're fine (click here and scroll to the second page for the entire list). I have seen people that got turned away because they don't have either the CDL, CLP, the wrong class (such as a Class "C" CDL compared to a Class "B"), or, in one case, an applicant had the Class "B" CDL, but as a result of him/her taking a road test in a box truck and not a bus, he/she had the N2 restriction, which is unacceptable.

If you need help studying for the CLP, I would check out cristcdl.com. I personally made index cards with the practice test questions, and between using the index cards 75 to 80% percent of the time, and reading the book 20 to 25% of the time, I successfully got my CLPs, respectfully.

Wow.  Thank you for this!

Edited by +Young+

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Goingpostal said:

Hey wassup guys I wanted to know if I can still take the exam if I have parking tickets and can I pay them at a later date

If you received your admission letter, definitely!! They only check for parking tickets and anything to that nature when you go for pre-employment, so you have plenty of time to take care of all of that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,  word of advice, if you have taken the boss exam within the past year let the Mbstoa know, the email that they sent you has a link and instructions on where and how to transfer your results which will allow you to sit this exam out. For me they responded the next day, which is great, so everyone still has time!

My email and phone call said i do not need o do anything because i already taken the BOSS with a civil service part. So i dont need to come in ffor the test.

You were scheduled to take the Bus Operator Selection Survey for Exam # 0100 this weekend. However, our records indicate that you have taken the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) with a civil service exam in the past year. Your BOSS results have been transferred to Exam 0100 Bus Operator. Please disregard the admission letter you may have received inviting you to take the BOSS this weekend. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO REPORT TO TAKE THE BOSS THIS WEEKEND. Please note that your civil service exam results will determine whether you are placed on a civil service list. When the list is established for Exam 0100 or any of the Bus Operator exams that you have taken, you will receive an official Notice of Results in the mail.

No further action is required by you. AGAIN, YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPORT TO TAKE THE BOSS THIS COMING WEEKEND. Please do not reply to this email! To read the Notice of Examination for this exam, please visit http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/mabstoa_open.htm and click on "Bus Operator".

17 minutes ago, misslo said:

My email and phone call said i do not need o do anything because i already taken the BOSS with a civil service part. So i dont need to come in ffor the test.

16 minutes ago, misslo said:

So i guess I will sit the test out for tomorrow

Yeah you don't need to show up. You'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, lornaevo said:

When will the results be posted?

It’ll be sent in the mail.  If you’ve taken it, give it more time than normal as I was told they aren’t going to be calling any time soon.  

in my experiences you get your exam results within a month or two from any city test.  

11 hours ago, rickdarula11 said:

in my experiences you get your exam results within a month or two from any city test.  

Although I agree with you in which you'll get your initial results within a month or two, for the official results to come out, it will take at least a year. And with what the Administration said on the day of the exam, which can be read below, I would not be surprised if this is for the next 18 months to two years easily.

On 12/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, rickdarula11 said:

The administration mentioned that no one would be getting called any time soon but I’m sure that’s always subject to change.  

Edited by +Young+

I know I'm late on this,

But I contacted the office and explained to them that I wasnt able to take the test because I fell ill, and they told me that that dosent qualify to retake the test.

I mean, I'm disappointed, but 0101 is coming up soon so it wont really make a huge difference on what time I start.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help clarify? As I’m reading earlier topics in the forum regarding previous B/O exams there was a boss exam following their list number. 

So what we took on Dec 4, 2019 was the survey and not the ”exam”? I’m confused, whether there will be another test or not. Currently (I’m assuming) awaiting  for my list number. Please clarify. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, BOO3 said:

Can someone help clarify? As I’m reading earlier topics in the forum regarding previous B/O exams there was a boss exam following their list number.

So what we took on Dec 4, 2019 was the survey and not the ”exam”? I’m confused, whether there will be another test or not. Currently (I’m assuming) awaiting  for my list number. Please clarify. Thank you!!

First, welcome to the Forums!! If you haven't done so, please take the time to review our guidelines.

To answer your question, since MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company are not civil service titles, there is no "exam" that will determine your score, followed by your list number. In lieu, everybody takes the "BOSS," which stands for Bus Operator Selection Survey. As a result, there will not be another exam. Instead, providing you passed the BOSS, you will be assigned a random number, which will be your list number. When the time comes for the agency to start hiring from this exam, this is what they will go by.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:49 PM, +Young+ said:

First, welcome to the Forums!! If you haven't done so, please take the time to review our guidelines.

To answer your question, since MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company are not civil service titles, there is no "exam" that will determine your score, followed by your list number. In lieu, everybody takes the "BOSS," which stands for Bus Operator Selection Survey. As a result, there will not be another exam. Instead, providing you passed the BOSS, you will be assigned a random number, which will be your list number. When the time comes for the agency to start hiring from this exam, this is what they will go by.

thanks for the prompt reply Young. Also I noticed you have applied to several different exams as far back as 2017 maybe even more. Are you still waiting to get hired?? @@ (I don’t know if I can wait two-three years for a call back)

12 hours ago, BOO3 said:

thanks for the prompt reply Young. Also I noticed you have applied to several different exams as far back as 2017 maybe even more. Are you still waiting to get hired?? @@ (I don’t know if I can wait two-three years for a call back)

As far as the prompt reply is concerned, you're welcome. As far as still waiting to get hired, let's just say that I hit a "speed bump," and I'm working on having this "speed bump" resolved as quickly as possible.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:49 PM, +Young+ said:

Wait I'm lost, MaBSTOA & MTA Bus don't require the actual "exam" except for the BOSS, but TA does?