The MTA is tired of saving AirPods from subway tracks

CenSin

1 minute ago, CenSin said:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/03/mta-airpods-psa/

Good for them! I think Airpods are just a a stupid product for people who have too much money to care about losing their electronics.

What I can't figure out is why people are standing so close to the platform edge to begin with... 

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/03/mta-airpods-psa/

Good for them! I think Airpods are just a a stupid product for people who have too much money to care about losing their electronics.

And I, for one, don’t blame the MTA for not wanting to save the AirPods. 

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I can't figure out is why people are standing so close to the platform edge to begin with... 

I don’t work for the MTA but, where I work, most  of the phones, wallets, glasses, air pods, and other such items I’ve retrieved, are usually dropped when getting the on or off the train.

2 minutes ago, INDman said:

I don’t work for the MTA but, where I work, most  of the phones, wallets, glasses, air pods, and other such items I’ve retrieved, are usually dropped when getting the on or off the train.

Come to think of it, I have tried Apple earbuds, and I don't think the fit works at all.  They don't fit snug enough, which is likely part of the problem. 

4 minutes ago, INDman said:

I heard the little magnets and batteries in these devices are worth a good chunk of money. Should sell the pieces if possible.

I had them (left them in my pants when I washed them) and I never had a problem but, I’ve ways like the newer Apple headphones. I did however, spend about a half hour searching the roadbed once for a single Samsung ear pod thing, so I can’t say it’s just an Apple thing. 

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if they'll start putting up warning posters on devices on the platforms w/ the columns stating, for example: "Please do not stand close to the platform with your devices, we want you to be safe"

That’s not a bad idea, but my experience has been that people have issues when they get on or off the train.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

11 minutes ago, INDman said:

My observation (LIRR) is people boxing out for the seats), one person at Cold Spring Harbor leaves their bag on the very tip of the platform. I swear they do it to 'hold' a spot.

3 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

My observation (LIRR) is people boxing out for the seats), one person at Cold Spring Harbor leaves their bag on the very tip of the platform. I swear they do it to 'hold' a spot.

7 minutes ago, INDman said:

I had them (left them in my pants when I washed them) and I never had a problem but, I’ve ways like the newer Apple headphones. I did however, spend about a half hour searching the roadbed once for a single Samsung ear pod thing, so I can’t say it’s just an Apple thing. 

Interesting. I use some old school Westone earbuds and the tips keep them nice and snug in the ear. I had a pair of HTC ones from one of my old phones that were still new in the box and I've been ordering those since and they too fit nice and snug.

Haha well I’m definitely a part of the minority on here that has AirPods and they fit my ears well. One of my biggest fears is actually dropping them onto the tracks, which is why I never put them on or take them off while boarding or leaving the train. You would think that everyone would know that, but many people out there lack common sense. People just don’t use their brains and often times they are the same ones that blame others for their own carelessness. So I don’t blame MTA because people need to learn how to be more responsible. Of course accidents happen but if you can take proper precautions then that is ideal. 

Folks, remember this: Apple’s M.O. is form over functionality.

Having a glass exterior is beautiful. Just don't drop it, touch it, or try to get a 5G signal through it. The glass will crack. The glass will smudge. The glass will block your 5G signal (not AT&T’s faux 5G).

Having a clean, white titanium card (Apple’s answer to Google Wallet) is all sorts of awesome. Just thinking about showing it off to your less endowed pleb followers will get you all giddy. Just don't use a regular wallet or try to store it in your pocket with your other cards. It will get scratched up, and Apple disapproves.

Having an expensive speaker that’s literally hanging by a ledge gets rid of those unsightly wires. Just don’t depend on that nonexistent wire to keep your speaker’s running while on a dead battery, or to save it from falling off the ledge at the slightest disturbance.

But now you want to use wired headphones? And just where are you going to find a hole to put that in?

10 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Yesterday I was on the (2) going downtown into Manhattan. At 149 St-Grand Concourse some teen was getting on the train and his phone fell right in between the gap between the train and the platform.

And how exactly did that happen? Walking and texting, or walking and playing video games? 

Just now, WestFarms36 said:

Walking and texting.

Really out of control... I was just picking up my lunch a little while ago. Man in front of me is waiting for a drink. Meanwhile he has finished paying at the register and is standing there texting blocking access to the payment portal and the register. I had to tell him to move out of the way. Ridiculous.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Really out of control... I was just picking up my lunch a little while ago. Man in front of me is waiting for a drink. Meanwhile he has finished paying at the register and is standing there texting blocking access to the payment portal and the register. I had to tell him to move out of the way. Ridiculous.

Smh. This is a big problem nowadays. Many people are so heavily distracted to the point that they lose their devices on the trackbed, sewers, trains, etc...

8 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Smh. This is a big problem nowadays. Many people are so heavily distracted to the point that they lose their devices on the trackbed, sewers, trains, etc...

It's crazy.... Its just a cell phone, but people have become obsessed to the point that they can't do anything without using them.  Can't walk down the street... Countless people walking down the street with their heads down texting... I've seen people have their cell phones knocked right out of their hand in the middle of the street.

Well I'm tired of the MTA.... Guess we're even.

anyway....

18 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

And I, for one, don’t blame the MTA for not wanting to save the AirPods. 

Neither do I....

Bet these are the same people that bitch about subway delays too.

15 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if they'll start putting up warning posters on devices on the platforms w/ the columns stating, for example: "Please do not stand close to the platform with your devices, we want you to be safe"

Noble, but what difference would it make? For one, people don't read those things anyway & two (as was already stated), people have their heads buried so far up their asses into these mobile devices, it would render such a suggestion completely pointless....

15 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

That's exactly the reason & people do that at Jamaica also (if not with those rolling bags, they do it with bikes)....

13 hours ago, Deucey said:

Another reason why I keep wired headphones - if one falls out, the other and/or my phone rescue it.

Yeah, I'm old school too...

I walk far too hard, too erratic, & too fast for anything loosely fitted like an "airpod" to remain in place - and I'm not slowing up for something like that either.... I walk around a crowd, not with one....

Wired headphones or bust AFAIC.

12 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Yesterday I was on the (2) going downtown into Manhattan. At 149 St-Grand Concourse some teen was getting on the train and his phone fell right in between the gap between the train and the platform.

....another beau-ti-ful day in the neigh-bor-hood.

R.I.P Mister Rogers.

54 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's crazy.... Its just a cell phone, but people have become obsessed to the point that they can't do anything without using them.  Can't walk down the street... Countless people walking down the street with their heads down texting... I've seen people have their cell phones knocked right out of their hand in the middle of the street.

Yeah, and then they're ready to fight.... You have to walk just as fast as I do, to actually bump into me... I go ridiculous lengths to avoid bumping into people (I'm no stranger to walking on the curb, or in the street just adjacent to it, to GTF away from people as quick as possible).....

In short, pick your head up & watch where the f*** you're walking.

Edited by B35 via Church
"curbing" my laziness....

• 2 weeks later...