2019 Holiday Nostalgia Train!!

+Young+

• +Young+ changed the title to 2019 Holiday Nostalgia Train!!

On 11/14/2019 at 7:40 PM, P3F said:

Interesting how on some weekends it runs to 125th Street, while on others it goes to 145th Street.

This probably has to do with G.O's taking place. The (D) train is occupying the middle track at 145th st during the first two weekends of this event, probably that's why on some weekends the holiday train runs to 125th st, and on others it runs to 145th st. Also Uptown (D) trains run via 8th ave, hence the reason why the holiday train is using the 8th ave line going uptown during the first two sundays.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Were the 96th St runs a one time thing only?

Given the rollsign extras the Transit Museum had made for the R1-9s, I doubt it, but I doubt we'll be seeing that service while the M supplement is running to a 96th St. Lot of factors to worry about turning around there. I don't think the 8th Ave run is considered ideal though, especially since it misses some of the "Shoppers' Special" locations the train is nominally supposed to pass on the East Side, and since it encounters some of the usual problems on the 8th Ave (showtime dancers, etc.).

2 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Welp the southbound (F) Trains are running via the Cranberry Street tube during the first weekend of the holiday train. Bigger question is now will southbound access to 2nd Avenue Station be available now for next weekend. 

There was one weekend last year where the (F) ran via the (A)(C) northbound and the holiday train still ran to 2nd Av so I don't think it will be a big issue.

31 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

There was one weekend last year where the (F) ran via the (A)(C) northbound and the holiday train still ran to 2nd Av so I don't think it will be a big issue.

But the difference was the (C) was ending at 2nd Avenue that weekend due to the (F) going to Euclid. I guess we'll wait and see. 

Is there a good chance the runs for the first day will not happen this weekend? I'm seeing the weather for this Sunday, and it's rain all day (i.e. people less likely to attend, not to mention keeping the vintage equipment away from bad weather as what happened with the Lo-V a few years ago; a run to Yankee Stadium cancelled due to rain). 

3 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Is there a good chance the runs for the first day will not happen this weekend? I'm seeing the weather for this Sunday, and it's rain all day (i.e. people less likely to attend, not to mention keeping the vintage equipment away from bad weather as what happened with the Lo-V a few years ago; a run to Yankee Stadium cancelled due to rain). 

It should still run, since it's running completely underground.

The cancellation would not be based on underground/overground conditions, but whether a Plan is put into effect for the snowstorm. Depending on the Plan, G/Os are canceled and trains may be stored in tunnels. If we end up looking at a possibility of 5 inches of snow, I'd expect changes.

46 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

If we end up looking at a possibility of 5 inches of snow, I'd expect changes.

I just looked at weather.com for my zip code in Northern Queens and they're saying snow for Monday - the low temperature on Sunday will be 37 degrees, in which if there is any snow, it will turn to rain.

Only time will tell...

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

The cancellation would not be based on underground/overground conditions, but whether a Plan is put into effect for the snowstorm. Depending on the Plan, G/Os are canceled and trains may be stored in tunnels. If we end up looking at a possibility of 5 inches of snow, I'd expect changes.

If they haven’t called a winter plan by now, I think the holiday nostalgia runs will be running.

I think this little storm is gonna catch a *lot* of people off guard, but that’s another story for a different thread.

• +Young+ unpinned and unfeatured this topic