Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

It will still go to Jamaica, just in the form of the 57

Yes, it'll run local from Floral Park all the way to Jamaica Center, which will take 8-11 min longer to get to Forest Hills and points west according to Google Maps. So the question is who deserves this 10 min reduction in travel time more, the 0.8 mile stretch of Hempstead Ave or the 2 mile stretch of Jamaica Ave/Jericho Tpke?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MTA Dude said:

Yes, it'll run local from Floral Park all the way to Jamaica Center, which will take 8-11 min longer to get to Forest Hills and points west according to Google Maps. So the question is who deserves this 10 min reduction in travel time more, the 0.8 mile stretch of Hempstead Ave or the 2 mile stretch of Jamaica Ave/Jericho Tpke?

Keep in mind that the eastbound section of Jericho Turnpike also has the n24 available. (Westbound unfortunately it is drop-off only)

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Keep in mind that the eastbound section of Jericho Turnpike also has the n24 available. (Westbound unfortunately it is drop-off only)

Actually, the N24 is open door as far west as 239, or that changed? 

3 hours ago, MTA Dude said:

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I was about to say why should the resources be for an express variant to 179 when the n24 already picks up on a decent portion of that stretch. That's pretty much the express variant. Though I do wonder if the 82 really needs to be an express route.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

I was about to say why should the resources be for an express variant to 179 when the n24 already picks up on a decent portion of that stretch. That's pretty much the express variant. Though I do wonder if the 82 really needs to be an express route.

Because the express already exists right now in the form of the Q36 LTD (just that it'll also run outside of peak direction rush hours), and the N24 runs every 15 min, over double the headways of the Q36 during rush hours.

7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I’ve used the Q36 Limited during the evening rush, It stopped so frequently and went so slow I’m not even sure why there’s a “limited” designation.

Did you use it on Hillside Avenue? If not, there you go.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, the Hillside portion was painfully slow. I took the bus from Jamaica,  I probably should have walked to the Q110 instead.

I always felt like even with more stops Jamaica Av flows better than Hillside. Hillside is one of those corridors that suffers from its own popularity buses there get so busy it slows everything down. 

Rather than multi-quote, I'll do it like this....

Considering this most recent topic of conversation, this is more or less how I would handle matters (outside of leaving the Q36 as-is):

• Leave the Q2 as proposed, routing-wise
  • Have the proposed Q82 take 212th pl. southbound, instead of taking Hollis Ct. Blvd.... Rest of the routing to be left as proposed
  • Breakup the Q57 into:
    • a Liberty av route running between Rockaway Blvd (A) & Sutphin (F), via Liberty & Sutphin
    • a Jamaica av route running between [Myrtle/Hillside] & [Jamaica/257th]
      • to have the current Q55 maintained
      • a "rush"/purple route variant of this, would run b/w Jamaica-257th & 165th st terminal, via Jamaica > 170th (NB) > Hillside > Merrick > en route to the terminal

Basically, I'm against extending the current Q55 to Jamaica proper and/or having a third route terminate at Jamaica/170th - when nothing should really be ending there (proposed Q55), running a Jamaica av. route up to Hillside/LNP (proposed Q57), basically combining the current Q110 & current 112 (proposed Q57), turning the Q2 into a rush only route (proposed Q2), having the Q82 be a rush only route (proposed Q82)....

What I don't necessarily take issue with, is having a route running out of 165th terminal doing Hillside > 212th > Hempstead av, en route to Belmont park/UBS (proposed Q82) & doing away with the current Q112's "backdooring" to Jamaica proper (proposed Q57)....

For the n24 stealing ridership along Jamaica av. concerns, well I'd like to see how many intra-Queens riders would still bother embarking on n24's during peak times, over utilizing a route that would run clear along Jamaica av. from the county line to 170th, en route to 165th terminal (via 169th (F))....

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Rather than multi-quote, I'll do it like this....

Considering this most recent topic of conversation, this is more or less how I would handle matters (outside of leaving the Q36 as-is):

• Leave the Q2 as proposed, routing-wise
  • Have the proposed Q82 take 212th pl. southbound, instead of taking Hollis Ct. Blvd.... Rest of the routing to be left as proposed
  • Breakup the Q57 into:
    • a Liberty av route running between Rockaway Blvd (A) & Sutphin (F), via Liberty & Sutphin
    • a Jamaica av route running between [Myrtle/Hillside] & [Jamaica/257th]
      • to have the current Q55 maintained
      • a "rush"/purple route variant of this, would run b/w Jamaica-257th & 165th st terminal, via Jamaica > 170th (NB) > Hillside > Merrick > en route to the terminal

Basically, I'm against extending the current Q55 to Jamaica proper and/or having a third route terminate at Jamaica/170th - when nothing should really be ending there (proposed Q55), running a Jamaica av. route up to Hillside/LNP (proposed Q57), basically combining the current Q110 & current 112 (proposed Q57), turning the Q2 into a rush only route (proposed Q2), having the Q82 be a rush only route (proposed Q82)....

What I don't necessarily take issue with, is having a route running out of 165th terminal doing Hillside > 212th > Hempstead av, en route to Belmont park/UBS (proposed Q82) & doing away with the current Q112's "backdooring" to Jamaica proper (proposed Q57)....

For the n24 stealing ridership along Jamaica av. concerns, well I'd like to see how many intra-Queens riders would still bother embarking on n24's during peak times, over utilizing a route that would run clear along Jamaica av. from the county line to 170th, en route to 165th terminal (via 169th (F))....

Would the proposed Q109 still exist in your plan?

Hi Everyone,

I know most of you or some of you don't have FB so since I am in the group for Queens Bus Redesign in FB I would like share some updates with all of you:

Attention: Queens Bus Riders!

Queens Bus Network Redesign Update August 2023

Update excerpts:

We’re reaching out today with an update on the next steps in the Queens Bus Network Redesign initiative. Instead of releasing the Proposed Final Plan in September 2023 as anticipated, we have decided to take more time to make sure that the new bus schedules reflect the input we received from stakeholders.

The Queens Bus Network Redesign is our largest bus network redesign project to date, with hundreds of new bus schedules to develop and analyze, and we received thousands of thoughtful comments that we want to make sure we incorporate into those new schedules. Queens is a borough of buses, and we will put in as much time as necessary to thoughtfully plan this new network.

We look forward to briefing our partners in government, civics, community boards, advocacy, and community groups on the Proposed Final Plan. We will be in touch to request time to present to all Queens community boards and we’ll also be scheduling and promoting a series of MTA outreach events that will commence after publication. Stakeholders will have several months to review and comment on their routes prior to the MTA holding a public hearing.

I did ask them a question and I wrote this:

"So that means there won't be a Final Plan that will be released in September? So when will the proposed Final plan be released? I am anxious to see the Final plan to see if my bus will be affected or not".  I have to wait for the answer from the moderator and after she replies I will post what they say.

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

Hi Everyone,

I know most of you or some of you don't have FB so since I am in the group for Queens Bus Redesign in FB I would like share some updates with all of you:

Attention: Queens Bus Riders!

Queens Bus Network Redesign Update August 2023

Update excerpts:

We’re reaching out today with an update on the next steps in the Queens Bus Network Redesign initiative. Instead of releasing the Proposed Final Plan in September 2023 as anticipated, we have decided to take more time to make sure that the new bus schedules reflect the input we received from stakeholders.

The Queens Bus Network Redesign is our largest bus network redesign project to date, with hundreds of new bus schedules to develop and analyze, and we received thousands of thoughtful comments that we want to make sure we incorporate into those new schedules. Queens is a borough of buses, and we will put in as much time as necessary to thoughtfully plan this new network.

We look forward to briefing our partners in government, civics, community boards, advocacy, and community groups on the Proposed Final Plan. We will be in touch to request time to present to all Queens community boards and we’ll also be scheduling and promoting a series of MTA outreach events that will commence after publication. Stakeholders will have several months to review and comment on their routes prior to the MTA holding a public hearing.

I did ask them a question and I wrote this:

"So that means there won't be a Final Plan that will be released in September? So when will the proposed Final plan be released? I am anxious to see the Final plan to see if my bus will be affected or not".  I have to wait for the answer from the moderator and after she replies I will post what they say.

They said you can still comment after the final plan is released. So t does that mean they will make additional changes after the final plan is released? If not, what is the purpose in making further comments? 

8 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

They said you can still comment after the final plan is released. So t does that mean they will make additional changes after the final plan is released? If not, what is the purpose in making further comments? 

I am not sure. They "may" do that or just do minor adjustments.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:16 PM, BrooklynBus said:

Also based on the Bronx and Staten Island plans they can make adjustments after implementation. I can't imagine that it won't happen in this case, considering how many changes they want to make.

So I hear they will have the final plan on Labor Day or whatever, so here’s my questions:

1. I heard the Q10/64 combo is no more, so will the Q10 just become its current limited route only via lefferrs (Union Tpk sta- lefferts air train jfk) while keeping the Q9 replacing 130th St?

2. I did not find the Q25 extension reasonable whatsoever, so will they keep the 25 terminating at the LIRR sta?

3. Are they keeping the 88 realigned to LN despite the HEAVY traffic Horace Harding be having?

4. Will they swap the 26 and 27 and keep the 27 as it is? I don’t really see the point of the 26 heading down to cambria, nor the 27 going up to CP replacing the 65. It’s just pointless imo. Not to mention, BOTH routes are proposed to have high frequency (which the 27 already had for a long time)

7 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

So I hear they will have the final plan on Labor Day or whatever, so here’s my questions:

1. I heard the Q10/64 combo is no more, so will the Q10 just become its current limited route only via lefferrs (Union Tpk sta- lefferts air train jfk) while keeping the Q9 replacing 130th St?

2. I did not find the Q25 extension reasonable whatsoever, so will they keep the 25 terminating at the LIRR sta?

3. Are they keeping the 88 realigned to LN despite the HEAVY traffic Horace Harding be having?

4. Will they swap the 26 and 27 and keep the 27 as it is? I don’t really see the point of the 26 heading down to cambria, nor the 27 going up to CP replacing the 65. It’s just pointless imo. Not to mention, BOTH routes are proposed to have high frequency (which the 27 already had for a long time)

I agree that keeping the 88 realigned to LN will be suicide. From the looks of it, it will be delayed past September so the stakeholders can make the changes they want.

3 hours ago, xD4nn said:

I agree that keeping the 88 realigned to LN will be suicide. From the looks of it, it will be delayed past September so the stakeholders can make the changes they want.

I bet you they gonna find another way to expand the 10 or some other route if they’re gonna push back the final draft at this point. If  you ask me, there should be more local bus coverage from Northeastern Queens to Manhattan if anything, but have that route as a rush via northern blvd or something like that