Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

31 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Some opposition to the redesigns are disheartening. Keep in mind that some of these new routings:

• Allow trips not currently possible without major backtracking.
  • Provide alternative routings between various areas, in case of service disruption, subway disruptions/outages/planned service changes, or just options if a bus is missed etc. Especially bypassing congested areas.
  • Open up new trips for existing riders & new riders.
  • Makes it easier to connect to various NICE routes, LIRR stations, crosstown Queens service and Brooklyn routes.

They also eliminate existing trips that a lot of people use and need, while simultaneously shoving people onto the subway. Like in Middle Village with the vast majority of bus service to LIC and Jackson Heights being eliminated. That would require people to have to take a bus to the (M) or (R) trains for Jackson Heights, or the (M)(R)(7) if going to Long Island City which would be a backtrack and make trips both longer than they currently are, AND indirect. 

Just because those things might be true, does not mean that they'll be as utilized (on a regular, consistent basis) as some of the stuff they're cutting from the existing system. While there are people who will complain about any changes, a lot of the gripe surrounding the proposed changes aren't without merit. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I've been against the current Q17 routing for the longest; particularly the Fresh Meadows - Jamaica portion.... The proposed Q17 I think, shouldn't be anymore than an extension of the current short turns, up to College Point (in other words, I wouldn't bother with running the proposed Q17 south of the Fresh Meadows Shopping Ctr.)... The proposed Q75 is solid....

I disagree with the Q75. QCC is over-served in the QBR. Keep the current Q30 but with the QCC short turn removed.

Edited by xD4nn

Here's how I feel the proposed routes would be changed from the new draft to the final draft: 

Q1: will be kept between Braddock Av and Jamaica LIRR, and also replace the Q43 west of Jamaica bus terminal (see Q43)

Q5/86: The Rosedale branch (Q5) will remain a rush route and the Q86 becomes the local route, similar to today's Q5.

Q6: Q6 will be kept, but go to JFK so the Q7 can serve the entirety of Rockaway Blvd like the current proposal.

Q10: somehow someway, they will merge all services into a "limited", but thankfully will not be merged with the Q64

Q11/21: The Q11 Howard/Hamilton Beach loop will stay, the Q21 stays the way it is with no Elmhurst extension but with added frequency. 

Q14/23: The Q14 I see them keeping somehow that way the Q23 could "remain on 108 St". Besides that the Q23 will go back to it's original route

Q15/19: Will remain their current routes besides the 108 St/Roosevelt Av portion of the Q19. Q15A effectively become the Q15A with the Q20 still serving Beechhurst. 

Q16: I see the Utopia Pkwy branch to Bay Terrace surviving 

Q17/25:  The Q17 will take the northern portion of the Q25 and remain between College Point and around Horace Harding/188 St 

Q25: all services will remain except for the portion north of CP depot. 

Q26/27: only thing I see changing is the Q27 ending at QCC while the Q26 uses HHE instead of 73 Av.

Q29/80: Q29 will effectively remain, but as the Q80 route extended to Elmhurst

Q30: remains, but don't see service east of QCC and outside of weekdays 

Q34/61: see the Q61 remaining but with expanded hrs

Q36/82/110: they will go through with the Q36/110 swap which means they will keep the Q82, not bring back the Q36, and have the Q110 go to LNP/Hillside Av.

Q41: will be brought back due to community opposition

Q43: cut back to Jamaica Bus terminal as justification for having the Q1 be more "useful"

Q46/48: one route will be the local, the other a rush, most likely Q46 local and Q48 rush 

Q52/53: remains as is 

Q62: most likely eliminated and merged into the Q16/28

Q64/73: even though the Q10/64 merger is gone, the MTA will try to do a Q64 extension of some sort, which will result in either a westward extension on the Q23 route to Union Tpke, or an eastward extension to the QCC area using 73 Av, eliminating the need for the Q73

Q65: the new design route will remain between Flushing and 46 Av, and the route will remain the same south of 46 Av

Q68/101/B24/B57: I can see the Q101 remaining, and as a result the B24 will stay but the southern portion will be extended to Jackson Heights, "eliminating the need for the B57 extension". 

Q75: will essentially be the Q30 to LNP, and operate on 188 St instead of Utopia Pkwy. 

Q100: remains

Q102/105: survives as a Roosevelt Island - QBP shuttle, the Q105 remains to the Q101 terminal

Q104: keeps current route. Although if the B24 does not survive, I can see the Q104 being extended to WBP to replace it

Q112: see it remaining with an extension to Euclid Av to replace the Q7. 

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Here's how I feel the proposed routes would be changed from the new draft to the final draft: 

Q1: will be kept between Braddock Av and Jamaica LIRR, and also replace the Q43 west of Jamaica bus terminal (see Q43)

Q5/86: The Rosedale branch (Q5) will remain a rush route and the Q86 becomes the local route, similar to today's Q5.

Q6: Q6 will be kept, but go to JFK so the Q7 can serve the entirety of Rockaway Blvd like the current proposal.

Q10: somehow someway, they will merge all services into a "limited", but thankfully will not be merged with the Q64

Q11/21: The Q11 Howard/Hamilton Beach loop will stay, the Q21 stays the way it is with no Elmhurst extension but with added frequency. 

Q14/23: The Q14 I see them keeping somehow that way the Q23 could "remain on 108 St". Besides that the Q23 will go back to it's original route

Q15/19: Will remain their current routes besides the 108 St/Roosevelt Av portion of the Q19. Q15A effectively become the Q15A with the Q20 still serving Beechhurst. 

Q17/25:  The Q17 will take the northern portion of the Q25 and remain between College Point and around Horace Harding/188 St 

Q26/27: only thing I see changing is the Q27 ending at QCC while the Q26 uses HHE instead of 73 Av.

Q36/82/110: they will go through with the Q36/110 swap which means they will keep the Q82, not bring back the Q36, and have the Q110 go to LNP/Hillside Av.

Q43: cut back to Jamaica Bus terminal as justification for having the Q1 be more "useful"

Q46/48: one route will be the local, the other a rush, most likely Q46 local and Q48 rush 

Q64/73: even though the Q10/64 merger is gone, the MTA will try to do a Q64 extension of some sort, which will result in either a westward extension on the Q23 route to Union Tpke, or an eastward extension to the QCC area using 73 Av, eliminating the need for the Q73

Q65: the new design route will remain between Flushing and 46 Av, and the route will remain the same south of 46 Av

Q68/101/B24/B57: I can see the Q101 remaining, and as a result the B24 will stay but the southern portion will be extended to Jackson Heights, "eliminating the need for the B57 extension". 

Q75: will essentially be the Q30 to LNP, and operate on 188 St instead of Utopia Pkwy. 

Q102/105: survives as a Roosevelt Island - QBP shuttle, the Q105 remains to the Q101 terminal

Q104: keeps current route. Although if the B24 does not survive, I can see the Q104 being extended to WBP to replace it

I what the b62 extension. And the the b63 ?

56 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

I what the b62 extension. And the the Q63 ?

Honestly I believe the B62 not gonna go no further than Court Sq (we'll be lucky if we keep the route to Queens Plaza) and have it replaced by the Q100.

Q63 is one of the few routes from the proposal I see staying in it's proposed form, besides a possible modification of the eastern terminal 

Another route to mention that wasn't already, the Q88. I see it not changing from today's current route.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Honestly I believe the B62 not gonna go no further than Court Sq (we'll be lucky if we keep the route to Queens Plaza) and have it replaced by the Q100.

Q63 is one of the few routes from the proposal I see staying in it's proposed form, besides a possible modification of the eastern terminal 

Another route to mention that wasn't already, the Q88. I see it not changing from today's current route.

Remind me what the q63 is. So u don't think k the 25 will be estended via merrick to FL B'LVD?

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Would the Q45 stay? It wouldn’t be a bad idea to extend the Q75 in your plan to LIRR little neck vía HH and LNP

9 hours ago, xD4nn said:

I disagree with the Q75. QCC is over-served in the QBR. Keep the current Q30 but with the QCC short turn removed.

I don't necessarily disagree with keeping the Q30 intact (because I'm not for the proposed Q31 or the Q88).... At the same time, AFAIC, the current Q17 as is, needs to be disassembled, like, yesterday..... The latter is why I'm for the Q75 - even if it means phasing out the Q30, unfortunately..... I'm much less concerned about overserving QCC & moreso about their possible overserving of Utopia Pkwy, north of Union Tpke - unless they plan on running a shitload of short turns b/w LIRR Jamaica & St. Johns throughout the day.....

4 hours ago, limitednyc said:

Remind me what the q63 is....

The proposed Q63 is the Broadway route.... Runs along Broadway b/w QB & Northern Blvd, then would go on to do the current Q66 route b/w Northern/Broadway & Queens Plaza... It would fill that current service gap along Broadway....

43 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

Would the Q45 stay? It wouldn’t be a bad idea to extend the Q75 in your plan to LIRR little neck vía HH and LNP

The routes I don't mention are the routes I believe will not be touched in the new plan, including the Q45.

The Q45 is basically the Q43 to LN LIRR so it'll be mostly mirroring the Q43 west of LN Pkwy.

24 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't necessarily disagree with keeping the Q30 intact (because I'm not for the proposed Q31 or the Q88).... At the same time, AFAIC, the current Q17 as is, needs to be disassembled, like, yesterday..... The latter is why I'm for the Q75 - even if it means phasing out the Q30, unfortunately..... I'm much less concerned about overserving QCC & moreso about their possible overserving of Utopia Pkwy, north of Union Tpke - unless they plan on running a shitload of short turns b/w LIRR Jamaica & St. Johns throughout the day.....

I disagree with the Q75 terminating at QCC. The other part I do agree with but ending it at QCC honestly doesn’t make sense. It would be better to end it at Little Neck.

19 minutes ago, ThatSubwayFan980 said:

Well, when all the boroughs are having a redesign with the buses, just thank the MTA for nothing! I mean, look what happened to everything the MTA got involved with. Now this! I think it's better if we keep the bus lines the same as it was before.

It’s a shame because the redesigns are opportunities to correct 70 year old routing problems, but not when your goal is to reduce costs rather than improving service for the passengers. 

My two cents: 

• I'm glad they're ditching the idea of combining the Q10 and Q64, very dumb idea. Same for sending the Q23 down Union Turnpike. 
  • I actually like the Q63. It will have the side effect of helping speed up and better regulate Q66 service. 
  • Not sure what extending the B62 to Astoria is supposed to do for anyone. 
  • I fear the proposed B57 is a nice idea, but will fare badly in practice. 
  • I hope they don't cut the Q53 back from Woodside. Just extend the Q52 to Jackson Heights and please, please, please increase the frequency. 
  • I also think that sending the Q27 and Q17 into College Point will also kill reliablilty. Maybe have College Point be served by their own routes? I do like the Q17 being cut back to Fresh Meadows thou. 
  • I like the Q75 idea. 
  • Breaking up the Q38 for no real reason doesn't make sense to me. 
  • Removing Q47 from Calamus Ave pretty much kills any reason for the route to exist. All the ridership is on Calamus. Just keep the bus on Calamus until Grand then route it to 80th St from there. 
  • Not feeling the Q21 extention. Leave the Q11/Q21 alone.  

21 hours ago, ThatSubwayFan980 said:

Well, when all the boroughs are having a redesign with the buses, just thank the MTA for nothing! I mean, look what happened to everything the MTA got involved with. Now this! I think it's better if we keep the bus lines the same as it was before.

what are you rambling on about

On 7/18/2023 at 8:59 PM, shiznit1987 said:

My two cents: 

• Breaking up the Q38 for no real reason doesn't make sense to me. 
  • Removing Q47 from Calamus Ave pretty much kills any reason for the route to exist. All the ridership is on Calamus. Just keep the bus on Calamus until Grand then route it to 80th St from there. 
  • Not feeling the Q21 extention. Leave the Q11/Q21 alone.  

The current Q38 is kind of just 2 routes wearing a trench coat I think the proposed Q14 actually does a better job serving the area and connecting places people are actually trying to go between compared to the existing and proposed Q23 which seems like it exists just for coverage. 

I feel like instead of the Q47 going down Calamus it should be the Q80 and have that route end at Woodside.

I feel conflicted about it, one one hand it will get bogged down but all the congestion around the 82nd St station, but on the other hand it's actually something I can see myself using as the neighborhood around the 82nd St station is just as busy as 74th St.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, xD4nn said:

I disagree with the Q75 terminating at QCC. The other part I do agree with but ending it at QCC honestly doesn’t make sense. It would be better to end it at Little Neck.

I was looking at the plan the reason the Q88 goes to Little Neck over the Q75 is because the Q88 would be 24/7 while the Q75 is from 5:00 AM - 12:30 AM

The MTA really needs to reevaluate express vs local service, especially during different times of the day because some of these changes are absurd, especially with Kissena Blvd. The Q25 is supposed to be this godsend catch-all route, but it doesn't even get a service increase. So frequent corridors like Kissena and Merrick basically lose a significant amount of local service. In the case of Kissena towards Flushing the Q25 is the sole route as the proposed Q17 is 24/7 nonstop from the LIE to Flushing and the other nearby alternative the Q27/65 gets shifted over further east. 

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

I was looking at the plan the reason the Q88 goes to Little Neck over the Q75 is because the Q88 would be 24/7 while the Q75 is from 5:00 AM - 12:30 AM

The problem with that is the Q88 going only via Horace Harding is practically suicide and the Q45 has horrible frequencies and does not run on weekends. Basically little neck lost direct access to Jamaica just because the MTA wanted to save a few dollars but not running the 75 to Little Neck.

On 7/17/2023 at 10:40 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

I wouldn't even cut back the Q43. What I would do is make the limited variant actually be more of a limited compared to the segment it currently has as a limited. Cutting it back to 165th Street Bus Terminal(or whatever the new terminal will be) doesn't really make a lot of sense. All that's really doing is pushing the current Q36 over to Hillside.

6 hours ago, ThatSubwayFan980 said:

What am I rambling about is that the MTA is keeping getting to think about redesigning their bus systems like in Queens! That's just bogus.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I wouldn't even cut back the Q43. What I would do is make the limited variant actually be more of a limited compared to the segment it currently has as a limited. Cutting it back to 165th Street Bus Terminal(or whatever the new terminal will be) doesn't really make a lot of sense. All that's really doing is pushing the current Q36 over to Hillside.

What do u see for the b62 and the Greenpoint ave part of the b24.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, xD4nn said:

16 hours ago, xD4nn said:

The problem with that is the Q88 going only via Horace Harding is practically suicide and the Q45 has horrible frequencies and does not run on weekends. Basically little neck lost direct access to Jamaica just because the MTA wanted to save a few dollars but not running the 75 to Little Neck.

I don't have the problem with the Q75 ending at QCC that you do, because I see the way they split the current Q17 (into the proposed Q17 & the proposed Q75) as being something they actually got right.... Having that route end at the college isn't some nonsensical notion... The real issue is that Little Neck patrons don't ride out to Jamaica in potent enough numbers.... That's why they're even opting to run that proposed Q45 like garbage...

What I disagree with, is the Q88 running out to Little Neck (which is the catalyst in all of this)...

On 7/18/2023 at 8:59 PM, shiznit1987 said:
  • I actually like the Q63. It will have the side effect of helping speed up and better regulate Q66 service.

I would have liked the proposed Q63 much more if they a] had it branched to run along Northern, south of 35th av & b] were to cut back the proposed Q66 at Northern Blvd (M)(R).... I'm about done with the current Q66 to QBP & I'm against having the proposed Q66 run past Queens Plaza.... Having a shitload of stops eliminated on Northern Blvd doesn't remotely justify running it along Jackson av, to ultimately run to the ferry terminal, which will flop hard.....

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

giphy.gif

No way.