1 dead, 16 injured in subway fire

trainfan22

34 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Exactly.  This to me along with all the other homeless problems are why I don't see a return to full 24/7 service in the subways until we see the bars reopen and/or we see ways that are ACLU-proof that the homeless can legally be forced off trains. 

That's what you see - rather than the jobs that occupied Midtown being remote long-term, the current economic depression with all the bankruptcies and layoffs, and much of the ridership that could afford it decamping from the City to elsewhere in the tri-state - stopping 24/7 service?

image.gif.fea5f651c84a48810df892bb72c6bca6.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be the stupidies thing in the world: to punish over 100.000 riders that every weeknight (1-5AM) take the subway since 1904 for some poor homeless. Ridicolous and ABSOLUTELY wrong. To stop Trump, but to stop also this delusional Cuomo.....That enough. NY is a 24/7 city!!

13 hours ago, Deucey said:

That's what you see - rather than the jobs that occupied Midtown being remote long-term, the current economic depression with all the bankruptcies and layoffs, and much of the ridership that could afford it decamping from the City to elsewhere in the tri-state - stopping 24/7 service?

Dude, remember who you're replying to... He still thinks baseball is what cost Mario Cuomo another term. 

7 hours ago, I love NY said:

It should be the stupidies thing in the world: to punish over 100.000 riders that every weeknight (1-5AM) take the subway since 1904 for some poor homeless. Ridicolous and ABSOLUTELY wrong. To stop Trump, but to stop also this delusional Cuomo.....That enough. NY is a 24/7 city!!

We get it. You can stop now.

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Dude, remember who you're replying to... He still thinks baseball is what cost Mario Cuomo another term. 

What.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

What.

I mean for the longest time he also thought the ultra-secretive owners of Aqueduct Racino were going to compel the MTA or somebody to pull money out of their ass or a hat or whatever to fund the Rockaway Beach Branch that had to go to Lower Manhattan, or something.

9 hours ago, I love NY said:

I can think of something else that's the stupidest thing in the world - and it aint got nothing to do with Cuomo, Trump, the year 1904, NYC being a 24/7 city, over 100k overnight riders during the work week using the subway, or homeless people.....

....like YOU, and this apparent obsessive infatuation of NYC..... You love NY so god damn much, get a room... Practice safe sex while you're at at...  Abstain from this forum any further... And wear a mask when you're out in public; don't need you spreading whatever the **** it is that got you parroting the same babble on here for as long as you have... Un-damn-believable.....

We get the ****ing message... We're New Yorkers going through this shit, all in the same.... Shut up already.

Edited by B35 via Church
oh, the hell with it.... clean up in aisle 5

9 hours ago, I love NY said:

21 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I can think of something else that's the stupidest thing in the world - and it aint got nothing to do with Cuomo, Trump, the year 1904, NYC being a 24/7 city, over 100k overnight riders during the work week using the subway, or homeless people.....

....like YOU, and this apparent obsessive infatuation of NYC..... You love NY so god damn much, get a room... Practice safe sex while you're at at...  Abstain from this forum any further... And wear a mask when you're out in public; don't need you spreading whatever the **** it is that got you parroting the same babble on here for as long as you have... Un-damn-believable.....

We get the ****ing message... We're New Yorkers going through this shit, all in the same.... Shut up already.

@I love NY Nothing to really say here... actually, I lied. Not everything is perfect, we are still in a world where a cough can get you killed right now and yes we can thank Trump for not trying to at least slow down the number of cases of COVID. We have to keep this to make sure subways are clean for hours of use, otherwise, the (MTA) can get sued because they weren't taking any precautions to clean the trains. I don't know if the trains are actually getting cleaned at night since I do not take trains at night at all so I can't say much, but the (MTA) has to take every precaution they can because at the end of the day, they are the ones that millions of New Yorkers rely on. I do not disagree with you about NYC being a 24/7 city, but we don't live in that world anymore. Perhaps we will, but there are cases still in NY in general and we need to be 100% certain that there are no more cases of COVID, period. Also, learn how to spell.

17 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

@I love NY Nothing to really say here... actually, I lied. Not everything is perfect, we are still in a world where a cough can get you killed right now and yes we can thank Trump for not trying to at least slow down the number of cases of COVID. We have to keep this to make sure subways are clean for hours of use, otherwise, the (MTA) can get sued because they weren't taking any precautions to clean the trains. I don't know if the trains are actually getting cleaned at night since I do not take trains at night at all so I can't say much, but the (MTA) has to take every precaution they can because at the end of the day, they are the ones that millions of New Yorkers rely on. I do not disagree with you about NYC being a 24/7 city, but we don't live in that world anymore. Perhaps we will, but there are cases still in NY in general and we need to be 100% certain that there are no more cases of COVID, period. Also, learn how to spell.

I don't even care about the spelling errors... I just wish he GTF off of this forum, constantly conveying the point behind NYC being known for being a 24/7 city.... It's like someone overusing the hell out of a word they just learned.

12 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Wally believes that, and I wish I was making this up, that older New Yorkers voted againts Mario Cuomo for re-election... as revenge for the Clinton Administration not intervening in the 1994 MLB strike...

Wally wouldn't know his left nut from his right nut, if you slapped the shit out of him & snapped him back into a little something called reality.... I've seen some tinfoil hat wearers over the course of time, but he takes the cake....

Edited by B35 via Church

6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't even care about the spelling errors... I just wish he GTF off of this forum, constantly conveying the point behind NYC being known for being a 24/7 city.... It's like someone overusing the hell out of a word they just learned.

Oh, I wasn't talking to you about the spelling, I was talking to the other guy. I only included you to add to my point against him.

10 hours ago, I love NY said:

So where you going at 2am that you can’t get to on one of the 24/7 buses - since everything’s closed?

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

So where you going at 2am that you can’t get to on one of the 24/7 buses - since everything’s closed?

His mother's basement.

I mean seriously, I get the rally crying behind the symbolism shit (the city that never sleeps & all that).... But damn, even if you were averse to buses, he's acting like there's no public transportation in this city whatsoever with his rhetoric.... He gives a new meaning for being in the "New York state of mind" !

On 8/28/2020 at 1:21 AM, Deucey said:

That too of course, but I was referring to the more immediate situation with the homeless specifically since THAT was why 24/7 service was suspended. 

On 8/28/2020 at 11:44 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Wally believes that, and I wish I was making this up, that older New Yorkers voted againts Mario Cuomo for re-election... as revenge for the Clinton Administration not intervening in the 1994 MLB strike...

You have to remember at that time, we still had a generation that was still alive from the time when the "Big Three" sports were baseball, boxing and horse racing (the "big four" as we know it didn't really come to be until around the early 1970s).  For many of THAT generation, baseball came above all else and the Yankees had not been in the World Series since 1981 (ironically also a strike year) and many of that generation feared they would never see the Yankees in the World Series again (and a good number of those in that generation in fact did pass away just in the two years between the 1994 strike and the Yankees winning it all in 1996).  They felt Clinton should have stepped in and ordered that season be played out with all games made up even if it caused the World Series to be pushed back, in turn forcing the NFL season to be pushed back and many over 65 openly admitted they actually did vote for Pataki to get back at Clinton for not doing that. That was the ONE race that was directly affected by the 1994 baseball strike and to me why the current Governor badly wants the elusive fourth term in 2022 because of what happened to his father.  

Yeah... sure, it had to be baseball that lead to Mario Cuomo loosing... it can’t have been the massive resurgence of the Republican Party in 1994 that saw them gain 54 house seats, 8 senate seats and 12 governors.

see, this is what you do, Wally, you lock on and laser focus on one, tiny, irrelevant issue and make Mount Everest out of an ant hill.

1994 was the Republican Revolution. A large shift in this country’s political landscape on the backs of dissatisfaction with Clinton’s large scale politics.

a few seniors cranky about no baseball, or a national shift to conservative politics? 

unless you can find me over 100,000 people who said that’s why they voted for Pataki, I’m sticking with the latter.

Edited by Kamen Rider

On 8/28/2020 at 11:10 PM, B35 via Church said:

You do know he is just being loyal to his state right? Cuomo is the number #1 reason why NY is suffering right now.  We can only hope he gets in thrown in the slammer like that moron Ed Mangano did in Nassau.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:09 AM, Kamen Rider said:

Yeah... sure, it had to be baseball that lead to Mario Cuomo loosing... it can’t have been the massive resurgence of the Republican Party in 1994 that saw them gain 54 house seats, 8 senate seats and 12 governors.

see, this is what you do, Wally, you lock on and laser focus on one, tiny, irrelevant issue and make Mount Everest out of an ant hill.

1994 was the Republican Revolution. A large shift in this country’s political landscape on the backs of dissatisfaction with Clinton’s large scale politics.

a few seniors cranky about no baseball, or a national shift to conservative politics? 

unless you can find me over 100,000 people who said that’s why they voted for Pataki, I’m sticking with the latter.

All of the above played into it, however, people over 65 have traditionally been THE BIGGEST voting block, which is why the strike was the biggest factor in the Governor's race because NYC has always been a baseball town first above all else and even now still is.  That generation at that time was from when Baseball was KING and boxing and horse racing were WAY above any of the other now-"big four" sports were and THEY were angry enough about the strike it did change their votes.  

Everywhere else, I agree 100% on the Republican revolution that happened in 1994.  

Edited by Wallyhorse

7 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

The strike had nothing to do with it, that is just your paranoia, now stop it.

Like I said, that Governor's race was THE ONLY race where that was a factor at all.

The other factors you mentioned did come into play as well, but NOT EVEN CLOSE to the strike with those over 65 who at that time overwhelmingly were from the time where baseball was KING.  Just like in England with the Brexit in 2016 where many over 65 admitted they voted for it because they wanted a return to what for them were the "good times" of the 1950's and '60s.

2 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Like I said, that Governor's race was THE ONLY race where that was a factor at all.

The other factors you mentioned did come into play as well, but NOT EVEN CLOSE to the strike with those over 65 who at that time overwhelmingly were from the time where baseball was KING.  Just like in England with the Brexit in 2016 where many over 65 admitted they voted for it because they wanted a return to what for them were the "good times" of the 1950's and '60s.

I'm sorry, but what exactly does this have to do with that subway fire earlier in the year?

On 8/28/2020 at 1:47 PM, I love NY said:

SMH, at this horrendous spelling. If you are going to try to make a point, edit your posts before posting this nonsense! God I can't stand people who does this crap!!!

31 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

All of the above played into it, however, people over 65 have traditionally been THE BIGGEST voting block, which is why the strike was the biggest factor in the Governor's race because NYC has always been a baseball town first above all else and even now still is.  That generation at that time was from when Baseball was KING and boxing and horse racing were WAY above any of the other now-"big four" sports were and THEY were angry enough about the strike it did change their votes.  

Everywhere else, I agree 100% on the Republican revolution that happened in 1994.  

Oh look, another reason to not let boomers vote anymore - blaming Mario Cuomo for Fay Vincent pissed off MLB owners in '92 and Bud Selig's "conflict of interest" as acting commissioner and simultaneously owning the Brewers after he and Reinsdorf ruined free agency and forced a salary cap.

This is so absurd @Wallyhorse I'm gonna act here like I do a politics group I admin on Facebook:

Explain - in detail - how striking baseball made NYCers vote against Mario Cuomo and for George Pataki.

4 hours ago, Kevin Madson said:

You do know he is just being loyal to his state right? Cuomo is the number #1 reason why NY is suffering right now.  We can only hope he gets in thrown in the slammer like that moron Ed Mangano did in Nassau.

What conspiracy to commit federal program bribery, federal program bribery, conspiracy to commit honest services wire fraud, honest services wire fraud and conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice has Cuomo committed, pray tell?