1 dead, 16 injured in subway fire

trainfan22

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The last thing anyone should be worrying about is the stupid train cars, which can be replaced... <_<

Thank you for saying this. I was reluctant to make any comment about this incident but after reading the first page or so of comments my blood began to boil. A man lost his life and people are commenting on the condition of some pieces of metal ? Wow, just wow. Nothing more to say. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The last thing anyone should be worrying about is the stupid train cars, which can be replaced... <_<

Hobbyism taken too far....

Anyway, I was reading through this thread (and other articles, other than the one copy/pasted), wanting to find out when, where, and how this fire even started, and if anyone was injured & what not (and to what extent).... Eventually came upon those pictures of those charred subway cars & subway vandalism (in this case, particularly, arson) immediately came to mind.... Unfortunately, you have the poor guy that ended up losing his life trying to save others apparently, with several others suffering serious injuries....

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

This is a larger societal problem but people just don't give a shit about this. To some degree, public facing jobs like these have become viewed upon as slavery (see bellyaching about "essential workers" and minimum wage in this pandemic)

...and for those that DGAF about it, I'd say there is a direct correlation of [that nonchalantness] and [the acts of disrespect & lack of human decency being directed at these front line workers]... You see people just doing their jobs (especially inside stores & what not) getting yelled at and/or cursed out, unprovoked, like it's permissible & never really understood it - not just from a buyer/seller perspective, but from a manager/managee level as well.... Always saw the whole thing as corny, to be honest....

But to sum this up, regardless of what they make salary-wise, blue collar work has long been stigmatized in society & I for one have always abhorred it....

19 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

This is atrocious.

Was just talking about this with some friends. They may have not known anyone had died at that point, and also, they're firefighters. They're probably proud of their own work and this is how they're documenting it. I think assuming whoever posted the photo originally found out the T/O died, it would be best to take that photo down, though. 

1 minute ago, Enjineer said:

Was just talking about this with some friends. They may have not known anyone had died at that point, and also, they're firefighters. They're probably proud of their own work and this is how they're documenting it. I think assuming whoever posted the photo originally found out the T/O died, it would be best to take that photo down, though. 

Even so. If they didn't know that the T/O was dead, there was still work to be done, namely finding the man, who still could have been saved. That was disgusting.

Edited by Union Tpke

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

there was still work to be done, namely finding the man

Who knows? They may have already taken the T/O out and not informed that group of firefighters that he was deceased. It was reportedly over 100 people responding. I do agree and think that the photo should be taken down though

I'm confused, was it the conductor or the T/O that died? There is conflicting information after rereading some of the first few pages and based on the video, the firefighters had trouble designating who was what. Anyone know what he was doing on the trackbed though? Seems peculiar to be down there.

On a side note, on the Youtube video sent above, anyone else notice that 6370 had the cab door smashed? That may have been the vandal or the firefighter or even some passengers trying to get off the train amidst the panic. 

Just now, danielhg121 said:

I'm confused, was it the conductor or the T/O that died? There is conflicting information after rereading some of the first few pages and based on the video, the firefighters had trouble designating who was what. Anyone know what he was doing on the trackbed though? Seems peculiar to be down there.

On a side note, on the Youtube video sent above, anyone else notice that 6370 had the cab door smashed? That may have been the vandal or the firefighter or even some passengers trying to get off the train amidst the panic. 

Yeah train operator died. 

Also I did noticed 6370's cab was cracked but it probably could happen via heat or other various factors. 

7 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

The TWU says it was the T/O.

11 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

It was 1000% the TO, name and face is known. The stories are conflating the Conductor of the burned train and the rescue train which is muddying the waters.

13 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Even so. If they didn't know that the T/O was dead, there was still work to be done, namely finding the man, who still could have been saved. That was disgusting.

According from one of the media outlets, I believe CBS?, the T/O was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai hospital, NOT on-scene. It’s very possible he could’ve died from cardiac arrest from all the smoke inhalation, but that’s yet to be known.

IDK, but what's starting to anger me (the more I think about this) is that this reeks to me of a crime of opportunity... I really don't want to start hearing outcries from the general public of "shut the subway down" or any monday morning quarterbacking thought process surrounding "the subway system should've been closed anyway".....

23 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

According from one of the media outlets, I believe CBS?, the T/O was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai hospital, NOT on-scene. It’s very possible he could’ve died from cardiac arrest from all the smoke inhalation, but that’s yet to be known.

Possibly, I feel the picture would not have been taken if they did know about it, and I do also feel it should be removed.

Putting that aside, the T/O's response in such a tragedy must be commended, he helped out even at a time when less and less people are riding the system. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family, as well as the people affected.

@B35 via Church Me and my AP Physics teacher actually talked about the possibility of the system getting shut down (when talking about the coronavirus, before it closed schools), we both agreed it's basically impossible. The public would want the system shut down, without considering the people and workers it still continues to serve. People are instinctively anti-subway when tragedy hits, and it's usually not necessitated.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

44 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

The responses to this video are even scarier:

The guy who filmed this went out in the middle of the night during an corona virus outbreak to film an 2 alarm fire in the subway. How did he even get access to the station?

The comments of that video seems like they're FDNY foamers. Some guy in the comment section is foaming over something called an MRTC and a high rise, whatever that is. Now I know how non railfans/transit employees feel like they lurk sites like this, they probably have no idea what we're talking about cause of the lingo.

Also wwooow at the other post of the firefighters posing for an photo in an brunt subway car. That's just an bad look. Luckily for them the corona virus is dominating the news cycles so that photo will get swept under the rug.

9 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

IDK, but what's starting to anger me (the more I think about this) is that this reeks to me of a crime of opportunity... I really don't want to start hearing outcries from the general public of "shut the subway down" or any monday morning quarterbacking thought process surrounding "the subway system should've been closed anyway".....

Already had that elsewhere. What might need to be considered are automated fire extinguishers (why that wasn’t considered after 1391 was firebombed in the 1990s is beyond me) on all cars.

25 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Also wwooow at the other post of the firefighters posing for an photo in an brunt subway car. That's just a bad look. Luckily for them the corona virus is dominating the news cycles so that photo will get swept under the rug.

I don't even care to give anything like that life right now, to be honest....

34 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Me and my AP Physics teacher actually talked about the possibility of the system getting shut down (when talking about the coronavirus, before it closed schools), we both agreed it's basically impossible. The public would want the system shut down, without considering the people and workers it still continues to serve. People are instinctively anti-subway when tragedy hits, and it's usually not necessitated.

...which is why I (and others on here) was checking ole boy last week in the Random thoughts thread about an MTA shutdown.

Shutting down mass transit = instant panic button.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I saw some of that on the twitter page for the subway.  Don't they realize that this could have happened anytime regardless of whether covid was a thing or not?

5 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

The public would want the system shut down, without considering the people and workers it still continues to serve. People are instinctively anti-subway when tragedy hits, and it's usually not necessitated.

I think that most of the people who want it shut down aren't actually dependent on the system.  They own cars and can drive places.  They see the subway (and buses) as an alternative to driving, rather than the only option many people in the city have to get around.  A majority of NYC residents don't own cars.  The system hardly ever shuts down.  9/11, power outages, hurricanes, and one snowstorm (although that turned out to be unnecessary and likely won't happen again) are the only reasons I can remember that caused the entire system to shut down for any length of time.  It was only for a few hours in the case of 9/11, and didn't even last a week with the others, but was still massively disruptive.  Imagine what would happen if it was down for weeks on end.  In all of these cases (except the snowstorm), either the system couldn't run, or would be dangerous and with risk of extreme damage if it continued to run.