MTA Deletes Tweet; Says it was posted in "Error".

Lawrence St

Lol at it being an error, yeah right.

There's nothing wrong with stating that the subway isn't a substitute for a shelter, but getting rid of benches for the sole of purpose of not having homeless sleep on them does warrant criticism. They're so laser focused on this while screwing over their own riders in the process, which shows you how tuned out they are from riders and how little they care.  I personally don't use those benches, but people who may not be able to stand for long periods of time (for whatever reason) will be impacted negatively. 

Also, if they're gonna be this petty about not letting homeless sit/sleep in the system, they might as well remove all seats inside subway cars.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Yet another incriminating tweet; even if that's true, you don't come out in public & overtly say it..... I said this a couple mos. ago regarding an unrelated situation; the person{s} posting these tweets are treating the MTA twitter page as their personal shit...... The only "error" here was the conveying of the confession in black & white....

This MTA twitter page was supposed to be an attempt at improving customer relations, but what it's been is a springboard for people's goofy witticisms and/or flat out insults.... Not defending that shit either, but at the same time, everybody's retort doesn't always warrant a response....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yet another incriminating tweet; even if that's true, you don't come out in public & overtly say it..... I said this a couple mos. ago regarding an unrelated situation; the person{s} posting these tweets are treating the MTA twitter page as their personal shit...... The only "error" here was the conveying of the confession in black & white....

This MTA twitter page was supposed to be an attempt at improving customer relations, but what it's been is a springboard for people's goofy witticisms and/or flat out insults.... Not defending that shit either, but at the same time, everybody's retort doesn't always warrant a response....

Yeah, it is funny lesson, isn't it – you set up the Twitter MTA team to promote 'transparency' from the MTA, but wait, shit, no, not that much transparency. The minute I saw that post, I knew they were gonna be in for it. Happens that they were just telling the truth, but in today's climate, especially around the PC-olympics when it comes to homelessness – 'people experiencing homelessness,' 'unhoused,' 'not currently housed' – that Tweet was doomed,

I don’t see why they deleted the tweet especially since so many people already saw it. Everybody knows damn well that the MTA meant what they said when they stated that they were removing the benches because of the homeless. Like I’ve always said the issue of homelessness is a city problem that unfortunately the MTA has to deal with. Nothing major is done to reduce the homelessness population in NYC and little things like increased police presence and removing benches actually does nothing to help. To the average homeless person they are probably like, no big deal I’ll just sleep on the floor, and or catch a good nap on the train. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, it is funny lesson, isn't it – you set up the Twitter MTA team to promote 'transparency' from the MTA, but wait, shit, no, not that much transparency. The minute I saw that post, I knew they were gonna be in for it. Happens that they were just telling the truth, but in today's climate, especially around the PC-olympics when it comes to homelessness – 'people experiencing homelessness,' 'unhoused,' 'not currently housed' – that Tweet was doomed.

I know, some of the linguistic gymnastics people will engage in to describe it all is just... 🤦‍♂️  If they put that much effort into actually helping the homeless, maybe things wouldn't have become so bad in the first place.

29 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t see why they deleted the tweet especially since so many people already saw it. Everybody knows damn well that the MTA meant what they said when they stated that they were removing the benches because of the homeless. Like I’ve always said the issue of homelessness is a city problem that unfortunately the MTA has to deal with. Nothing major is done to reduce the homelessness population in NYC and little things like increased police presence and removing benches actually does nothing to help. To the average homeless person they are probably like, no big deal I’ll just sleep on the floor, and or catch a good nap on the train. 

Also, the larger issue is they're resorting to excessive kneejerk-reaction policies, ruining things for the rest of us just because of a few folks sleeping on benches.  

It's like when the phone companies removed all the full-size payphone booths in the '80s because of concerns re: the homeless, and replaced them with the shitty little open-air metal kiosks.  Anyone who had to stand in the rain using one of those things in the late '90s or early 2000s will know what I'm talking about; I still remember how ecstatic everybody was when the downsized cellphones started coming out around 2003- 'no more getting wet', LOL.

Edited by R10 2952

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Mmhmm. I even recall one of the Twitter users calling out a passenger in a reply because she kept annoying them with the delays on Broadway Line. The best thing to do is ignore it, not do that...

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

I know, some of the linguistic gymnastics people will engage in to describe it all is just... 🤦‍♂️  If they put that much effort into actually helping the homeless, maybe things wouldn't have become so bad in the first place.

Also, the larger issue is they're resorting to excessive kneejerk-reaction policies, ruining things for the rest of us just because of a few folks sleeping on benches.  

It's like when the phone companies removed all the full-size payphone booths in the '80s because of concerns re: the homeless, and replaced them with the shitty little open-air metal kiosks.  Anyone who had to stand in the rain using one of those things in the late '90s or early 2000s will know what I'm talking about; I still remember how ecstatic everybody was when the downsized cellphones started coming out around 2003- 'no more getting wet', LOL.

This is almost as dumb as when they removed garbage cans from stations thinking that it would result in less litter. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if the MTA eventually has to restore the benches because isn’t it technically against ADA rules to remove seating? At stations like Hudson Yards which I’d argue doesn’t need benches has them even though a train is almost always in the station so I would believe that they can’t get rid of all of them even if they wanted.

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

7 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, it is funny lesson, isn't it – you set up the Twitter MTA team to promote 'transparency' from the MTA, but wait, shit, no, not that much transparency. The minute I saw that post, I knew they were gonna be in for it. Happens that they were just telling the truth, but in today's climate, especially around the PC-olympics when it comes to homelessness – 'people experiencing homelessness,' 'unhoused,' 'not currently housed' – that Tweet was doomed,

I think it's safe to say the best in comms talent is not going to the MTA, and so this strategy isn't working as well as they'd hope. But a fair amount of places do fine with a customer relations twitter.

This works out better if your customers are more likely to be predisposed to liking you already. I would probably peg the MTA at the Comcast end of the scale when it comes to customer love, though.

8 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

"When keeping it real goes wrong !"

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

This is almost as dumb as when they removed garbage cans from stations thinking that it would result in less litter.....

Speaking of trash...

Since DSNY hasn't been picking up trash since the snowstorm (well they JUST started picking up around here), there's this mindset (at least from the people in this neighborhood of mine here) that the city was still picking up trash from the city garbage cans during that week of the snowstorm & what not.... Just not coming down the side streets/residential blocks to pick up trash.... Guess the mounds of garbage bags wasn't a tell-tale sign that DSNY wasn't picking up garbage along Church av. (to be specific) that week either.....

NYPD could have made a killing nabbing/ticketing people dumping household trash around the city garbage cans if they really wanted to..... Nothing like seeing a partially snow covered 40-something odd inch TV set on the corner of E. 48th/Church.... Amazing... smfh.....

Ultimate point I'm making is, displaced trash != less trash....

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Little something called damage control....

speaking of which:

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

On the news the TA now is trying to say the benches were removed for "cleaning"..

LMAO.... Too bad they can't use that as an excuse for removing the homeless (and everyone else) from the subway system overnights :D

On 2/10/2021 at 2:01 PM, MHV9218 said:

‘Undomiciled” is the most up to date PC term lol...I still stick with hobo

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

‘Undomiciled” is the most up to date PC term lol...I still stick with hobo

"Undomiciled", "undocumented", "differently-abled", "body-positive"... the list goes on and on.  Like some sort of verbal Wheel of Fortune.

It's even worse with how they describe the drug addicts- "sufferers of substance abuse" or whatever.

Few years ago one of these crackheads/skells stole my coworker's coat from a staff-only area in the workplace; some woman said to her "you know, he probably needs it more than you".  I was like "f**k that, it doesn't mean he's got a free pass to jack other people's shit".

Damn folks be acting like it's GTA and anything goes or something.

Edited by R10 2952

14th street F uptown had security cameras pointed right at the benches 2017-2018 because of a constant needles next bum's shoes problem there. In 2019 the 14th street benches and cameras (some electrical tape and snipped coax exists) were plain removed, and never came back.

23 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

"Undomiciled", "undocumented", "differently-abled", "body-positive"... the list goes on and on.  Like some sort of verbal Wheel of Fortune.

It's even worse with how they describe the drug addicts- "sufferers of substance abuse" or whatever.

Few years ago one of these crackheads/skells stole my coworker's coat from a staff-only area in the workplace; some woman said to her "you know, he probably needs it more than you".  I was like "f**k that, it doesn't mean he's got a free pass to jack other people's shit".

Damn folks be acting like it's GTA and anything goes or something.

Oh yeah, sure, he needed that coat to sell so hd could buy more drugs lol. That's what drives me crazy when ppl give money to subway panhandlers. They are almost all substance users and use the money to buy drugs, which creates a worse cycle of panhandling! 

These folks need court mandated treatment and supervision. NYC actually has a few programs like that through the courts that work very well, but need tons more funding to apply them widely.