Queensboro Plaza Renovations

Thousands of commuters who pass through Queensboro Plaza each day will soon enjoy a roomier station and wheelchair-accessible elevators thanks to a significant renovation planned by the MTA.

https://patch.com/new-york/astoria-long-island-city/queensboro-plaza-getting-revamp-3-new-elevators-nicer-platforms

Edited by nightmare402

I've seen a new structure being built on the sidewalk on Queens Plaza North and 27th Street. I thought that was going to be the elevator, but the article implies that's just a temporary staircase.

EDIT: I take it back. A new apartment tower on the north side will be building the elevator on Queens Plaza North.

Also, for 10 weekends, the (N) is going to run to Forest Hills, while another (N) is running between Ditmars and 39th Avenue, and the (7) will run between Flushing and 74th Street.

For another 4 weekends, the (N) is replaced by shuttle buses to Ditmars, and the (7) between QBP and Vernon, Times Square and Hudson Yards.

Edited by GojiMet86

On 5/12/2022 at 7:34 PM, GojiMet86 said:

I've seen a new structure being built on the sidewalk on Queens Plaza North and 27th Street. I thought that was going to be the elevator, but the article implies that's just a temporary staircase.

EDIT: I take it back. A new apartment tower on the north side will be building the elevator on Queens Plaza North.

Also, for 10 weekends, the (N) is going to run to Forest Hills, while another (N) is running between Ditmars and 39th Avenue, and the (7) will run between Flushing and 74th Street.

For another 4 weekends, the (N) is replaced by shuttle buses to Ditmars, and the (7) between QBP and Vernon, Times Square and Hudson Yards.

Where is this stated? This would mean the (N) would Need R160’s 

4 minutes ago, VIP said:

"In one potential headache for commuters, the construction will snarl nighttime weekend service along the station's three subway lines starting next year.

The station will close entirely between 4 a.m. Saturday and 10 p.m. Sunday for 10 weekends in 2023 and 2024, with 7 trains limited to eastern Queens and N trains running along the R line. Another series of weekend closures will suspend N service within Astoria, and between Queens and Manhattan."

queensboro%20plaza%20elevators%203.jpg?w

12 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

"In one potential headache for commuters, the construction will snarl nighttime weekend service along the station's three subway lines starting next year.

The station will close entirely between 4 a.m. Saturday and 10 p.m. Sunday for 10 weekends in 2023 and 2024, with 7 trains limited to eastern Queens and N trains running along the R line. Another series of weekend closures will suspend N service within Astoria, and between Queens and Manhattan."

queensboro%20plaza%20elevators%203.jpg?w

This just makes me wonder, are they planning on just killing the (R) and replacing it with the (N) for those 10 weekends? I get the feeling the (R) is going to probably run either late night service or replaced by some other line in the meantime.

32 minutes ago, VIP said:

And the crews would need to be CBTC qualified!
I thought it was strange that they would move the (N) to 71st instead of just keeping the (R).

52 minutes ago, Eric B said:

And the crews would need to be CBTC qualified!
I thought it was strange that they would move the (N) to 71st instead of just keeping the (R).

Guess this means (R) trains are pretty much going to be replaced either entirely or part suspended.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, Vulturious said:

Guess this means (R) trains are pretty much going to be replaced either entirely or part suspended.

They'll probably run them both together which would make sense. They have more than enough R160's for the weekend to run on the (N) alongside the (E)(F)(R) since they have lay ups in the yard, Along hillside, union turnpike, ave x yard and CIY.  So They wouldn't have to borrow anything like the R179s or R211A's from the (A).

Edited by R32 3838

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Just wack the shuttle train from ditmars to 39th and just run the shuttle bus and have them meet the shuttle bus at queens plaza 🙄

The (7) shuttles will be in the area, that's the issue.

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They'll probably run them both together which would make sense. They have more than enough R160's for the weekend to run on the (N) alongside the (E)(F)(R) since they have lay ups in the yard, Along hillside, union turnpike, ave x yard and CIY.  So They wouldn't have to borrow anything like the R179s or R211A's from the (A).

They're labeling the shuttles to Astoria as (R)

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The (7) shuttles will be in the area, that's the issue.

in that case just run it to the queens 36th street so you can maximize work on the astoria line etc

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Pretty sure both stations don't have any switches to terminate (7) trains.

there are switches near 33rd but i guess they dont want to get to close to construction zone, not at 61st tho i thought there used to be 

On 5/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, Vulturious said:

or they could do what they did back in 2019 - just run the (N) from Coney Island to Times Sq-42 St, and replace the Astoria service with shuttle buses. 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

or they could do what they did back in 2019 - just run the (N) from Coney Island to Times Sq-42 St, and replace the Astoria service with shuttle buses. 

Clearly that isn't what they're going for. Honestly, the MTA has been making some weird service changes, I'm still in a way confused as to why they sent the (C) along Concourse and not just have a simple (D)(F) swap.

26 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Clearly that isn't what they're going for. Honestly, the MTA has been making some weird service changes, I'm still in a way confused as to why they sent the (C) along Concourse and not just have a simple (D)(F) swap.

I think there were other GOs that were preventing the south side of the Manhattan Bridge from being used, the 63 St connector, or even the use of the Cranberry St tunnel, so simply swapping the (D) and (F) was not viable.  This way, they also save $$$ on crews. restricting the (D) crews to Brooklyn, and running 3 extra crews from the Concourse (D) on the (C) to make service.

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Man those G.O.’s were pretty nice to fan. I grabbed my pictures/videos and dipped on those weekends 

On 5/16/2022 at 1:36 AM, 4 via Mosholu said:

Why not give them the Broadway (SSY67) reading for the front and back and have the digital side sign say Shuttle?

That would be better in my opinion.

Or just label the Astoria Shuttle as (W). Nobody really knows what that Broadway (SSY67) means outside of the transit community. They'd likely recognize the (W) though.

45 minutes ago, Theli11 said:

Nobody really knows what that Broadway (SSY67) means outside of the transit community.

It was used at one point to indicate shuttle service via Broadway and 63 Street when the (B) train as well as the (Qorange) train was cut to 57 Street on Sixth Avenue from February 22, 1998 to May 22, 1999 - though it used a single S colored in yellow. That S was written in black.