MJQ depot to close for months due to repairs

trainfan22

This one came out of left field....

Time to dust off Amsterdam depot, most likely the artic routes will be split between Hale and 100th Street, 40 ft routes to Amsterdam if there is space to hold the entire Quill 40FT fleet at Quill. If not overflow of 40FT routes could be squeezed into MTV.

Disclaimer: This is speculation on my part, IDK how the TA will assign routes during Quills closure.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

This one came out of left field....

Time to dust off Amsterdam depot, most likely the artic routes will be split between Hale and 100th Street, 40 ft routes to Amsterdam if there is space to hold the entire Quill 40FT fleet at Quill. If not overflow of 40FT routes could be squeezed into MTV.

Disclaimer: This is speculation on my part, IDK how the TA will assign routes during Quills closure.

The 60FT will stay most likely the 40’s will be spread out and with possibly AMS ,126 & MV. Not to forget they have a lot on 127 not being used and maybe 100 street can take some 40’s. Hale might be a long shot as it’s already at capacity there is no street parking at Hale.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

They most likely wont be able to use Amsterdam either....that depot needs some serious repairs as well to the roof, as it's slowly caving in.

2 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

From reading the article, it seems that the depot will only be partially closed at times. The use of the roof for express bus parking may take the biggest hit during the project, not sure what alternate sites would be available. 

Yep, there's likely going to be extra OT for operators, as they cycle buses in and out of the depot as they do the repairs. Another thing is the chargers on the roof, I wonder how they'll set those up again for the electric artics.

I wonder if they'll be able to work a deal with Greyhound to use one of their lots on the west side....

2 hours ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

The 60FT will stay most likely the 40’s will be spread out and with possibly AMS ,126 & MV. Not to forget they have a lot on 127 not being used and maybe 100 street can take some 40’s. Hale might be a long shot as it’s already at capacity there is no street parking at Hale.

Hale could hold more buses, but they are at the capacity that was agreed upon with the community that complained about the depot. It makes me wonder if they'll be able to work something out with the community to store some of the extra buses there.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

They most likely wont be able to use Amsterdam either....that depot needs some serious repairs as well to the roof, as it's slowly caving in.

Yep, there's likely going to be extra OT for operators, as they cycle buses in and out of the depot as they do the repairs. Another thing is the chargers on the roof, I wonder how they'll set those up again for the electric artics.

I wonder if they'll be able to work a deal with Greyhound to use one of their lots on the west side....

Hale could hold more buses, but they are at the capacity that was agreed upon with the community that complained about the depot. It makes me wonder if they'll be able to work something out with the community to store some of the extra buses there.

Highly doubt that Hale can hold an additional 40-50 buses 

12 minutes ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

Highly doubt that Hale can hold an additional 40-50 buses 

Definitely not that much. The depot was designed to hold up to 150 buses and I believe they are somewhere around 125-130 buses in that depot currently. If they were to work an agreement with the community, they could store the luggage rack artics there for the M60(thats just my idea).

Edited by Cait Sith

It's said a minimum of 100-120 buses need to be relocated due to repairs needed by next year. Like Cait Sith said if it's needed the M60 could move to MCH under an agreement, and a couple other routes could be shifted around in the MABSTOA Division (i.e. M125 to WF, M57, M66, M72 to MHV, M96/106, M116 to TU)

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's said a minimum of 100-120 buses need to be relocated due to repairs needed by next year. Like Cait Sith said if it's needed the M60 could move to MCH under an agreement, and a couple other routes could be shifted around in the MABSTOA Division (i.e. M125 to WF, M57, M66, M72 to MHV, M96/106, M116 to TU)

Does TU even have room to supply for 3 lines... I know TU isn't on that same agreement as OF. But those buses would have to be parked on the street each night. I know the 106/116 isn't really as heavy as the 96. However, I'd like to see how that works.. The real logistical way is to reactivate 126th.. It has the space desired, but this whole East Harlem community opposition is blowing minds. A depot has been there even before these people decided to live in this community.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:03 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Does TU even have room to supply for 3 lines... I know TU isn't on that same agreement as OF. But those buses would have to be parked on the street each night. I know the 106/116 isn't really as heavy as the 96. However, I'd like to see how that works.. The real logistical way is to reactivate 126th.. It has the space desired, but this whole East Harlem community opposition is blowing minds. A depot has been there even before these people decided to live in this community.

From what I’m hearing 126th has its own issues.

20 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Copy that.  However, the only logical way to store the buses is either 126th or the greyhound yard. 

For long term 126 ain’t happening there are no lifts in the garage you can store fleet there though. It’s also need upgrades for the time it’s been sitting you have a better shot with Amsterdam.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

On 7/27/2022 at 11:58 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

When will this take effect? The January pick?