MTA Announces 29 New Elevators Will Be Installed at Subway Stations Across All Five Boroughs

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-announces-29-new-elevators-will-be-installed-subway-stations-across-all-five

Stations includes:

• Van Cortlandt Park - 242 St (1)
  • Harlem - 148 St (3)
  • 96 St (B)(C)
  • 81 St (B)(C)
  • 86 St (4)(5)(6)
  • 46 St - Bliss St (7)
  • 33 St - Rawson (7)
  • Broadway (N)(W)
  • Court Sq - 23 St (E)(M)
  • New Lots Av (3)
  • Classon Av (G)
  • 36 St (D)(N)(R)
  • Huguenot SIR
  • 168 St (1)
  • Broadway Junction: separately for (A)(C)(J)(Z), and (L)

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Wasn’t 168th St (1) closed recently to install new elevators?

That was only to replace the ones that take you to the (1) platform, which were God awful, but not for ADA accessibility.  This is basically to allow for people to take an elevator from street level to then reach those elevators if they need the (1). They need to use someone that knows what their doing because each time that they've replaced elevators in Upper Manhattan, they have started breaking down a few days later.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That was only to replace the ones that take you to the (1) platform, which were God awful, but not for ADA accessibility.  This is basically to allow for people to take an elevator from street level to then reach those elevators if they need the (1). They need to use someone that knows what their doing because each time that they've replaced elevators in Upper Manhattan, they have started breaking down a few days later.  

I also forgot that once you get to the Mezz level you have to take stairs down to the (1) platforms.

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Where in the hell are they going to put an elevator at 242nd St?

I could see them sacrificing one of the staircases on either side of Broadway to place the elevator (Most likely the one by the park or the one that's barely used by those coming off the bee line buses).

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Where in the hell are they going to put an elevator at 242nd St?

2 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I could see them sacrificing one of the staircases on either side of Broadway to place the elevator (Most likely the one by the park or the one that's barely used by those coming off the bee line buses).

Elevators... There will be one on each side, just like W 231st.  If they are as slow as the ones on W 231st, forget it.  Definitely needed though. The community asked for elevators at that station years ago, the (MTA) refused to install them.  Only took them several years later.

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I also forgot that once you get to the Mezz level you have to take stairs down to the (1) platforms.

There are so few stations up here with elevators.  It's another reason I absolutely hate taking the subway.  If you're going to Manhattan along the (1) before it heads underground, you are walking up stairs the entire trip. Walk up several flights of stairs to reach the platform, then walk up stairs when you get off. Then there are the endless transfers.  Felt like I ran a marathon (a bus and three trains later - no thanks).

44 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I’m curious how they’re going to do 86th St (4)(5)(6) as well as the plans for Broadway Junction, will they just do ramps for the (A)(C) platforms and elevators to the El’s?

All of that sounds easier said than done to be honest. The A/C platforms are almost entirely underneath the park behind the main house which is under renovations and from the looks of it, seems to be nearly completed. The main concern would be somehow connecting the elevators to the ground level mezzanine and the upper mezzanine.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

It would have been nice if the MTA had installed the elevators at Broadway during its ESI renovation in 2018......

yeah. now they have to destroy part of the artwork and glass panels to install the construction panels, unless they create a new ADA entrance closer to the edge of the platform with fare control, etc. At Broadway Station, the ADA entrance would have to be on the south end of the platform

I think EVERY station that undergoes renewal or renovation should be made ADA accessible from now on. That would be good news for the (7) line because its stations and the Jamaica EL (J) stations are the last to not see any renovations since the 1990s or 1980s. At the very least, the following stations need to have ADA accessibility included (that aren't part of the plan yet)

Broadway-7 Av Line(1)(2)(3) - 225 St, Dyckman St, 191 St, 181 St, 168 St, 137 St, 125 St, 116 St, 110 St, 86 St, 79 St, 23 St, 14 St, Houston St, Wakefield-241 St, Bronx Park East, 174 St, Prospect Av, 149 St-Grand Concourse, 125 St (Lenox), Central Park North-110 St, Clark St, Franklin Av, Church Av (or Sterling St), Junius St, New Lots Av

Lexington Av Line (4)(5)(6) - Woodlawn, Bedford Park Blvd, Burnside Av, Dyre Av, Westchester Sq-E Tremont Av, Parkchester, Morrison-Soundview Avs, E 143 St, 3 Av-138 St, 103 St, 96 St, 59 St, 14 St-Union Sq

Flushing Line (7) - Vernon-Jackson, Hunterspoint Av, Queensboro Plaza, 82 St, 90 St, 103 St

8 Av Line (A)(C) - Dyckman St (or 190 St), 145 St, 110 St, 96 St, 86 St, 81 St, 50 St, Canal St, Hoyt-Schermerhorn, Van Siclen Av, Rockaway Blvd, Broad Channel

6 Av /Concourse Line (B)(D) - Tremont Av, Grand St

Queens Blvd Line (E)(F)(M)(R) - Parsons Blvd (F), Woodhaven Blvd, Elmhurst Av, Northern Blvd, Steinway St, Court Square, 5 Av-53 St

Jamaica Line (J)(M) - Fresh Pond Road, Myrtle Av-Broadway, Broadway Junction, Gates Av  (or Halsey St), Alabama Av, Crescent St, 85 St-Forest Parkway, 111 St, Delancey St-Essex St, Broad St

Broadway Line (N)(Q)(R)(W) - Ditmars Blvd, 30 Av, Lexington Av-59 St, 49 St, 23 St, Canal St, Whitehall St, Court St

4 Av/West End/Sea Beach/Brighton - (B) (D)(N)(Q)(R) - 7 Av, Beverley Rd, Newkirk Av (Newkirk Plaza), Avenue J, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, West 8 St, 4 Av-9 St, 36 St, Bay Parkway (N), 86 St (N).

Culver Line (F)(G) - Bergen St, Carroll St (or Smith-9 Sts), 4 Av-9 St, 7 Av (F)(G), 15 St-Prospect Park, 18 Av, Bay Pkwy, Kings Hwy (F), Avenue X.

Canarsie Line (L) - 6 Av, Grand St, DeKalb Av, Wilson Av, Broadway Junction, Atlantic Av, New Lots Av

Obviously, there aren't enough dollars to do EVERY station  on this list in our lifetimes, unless billions are invested to do this, but some of these stations are terminal stations that should in my opinion have ADA Accessibility. the rest of the stations listed are to plug in service/accessibility gaps in the neighborhoods, or area immediately next to important city destinations and hospitals. If I missed any stations, please let me know, or bold stations on my list that you all agree with.

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Obviously, there aren't enough dollars to do EVERY station  on this list in our lifetimes, unless billions are invested to do this, but some of these stations are terminal stations that should in my opinion have ADA Accessibility. the rest of the stations listed are to plug in service/accessibility gaps in the neighborhoods, or area immediately next to important city destinations and hospitals. If I missed any stations, please let me know, or bold stations on my list that you all agree with.

I agree with this take. My biggest gripe with the ESI program is 1. that those stations didn't get ADA accessibility as part of the work and 2. instead of continuing with other stations on each line (except for the Astoria line) they just did a few random stations and failed to capitalize on the momentum.

Now we're not going to implement all the stops on your list at once but it could probably be done in four or five phases of 20 or so stations at a time. For example on the (7) you could probably do 33rd/52nd/103rd then 40th/69th/111th followed by 46th/82nd/Mets. IIRC this is how Chicago was able to get so many elevated stations done at once.

Edited by Around the Horn

On 2/24/2023 at 11:52 AM, darkstar8983 said:

I think EVERY station that undergoes renewal or renovation should be made ADA accessible from now on. That would be good news for the (7) line because its stations and the Jamaica EL (J) stations are the last to not see any renovations since the 1990s or 1980s. At the very least, the following stations need to have ADA accessibility included (that aren't part of the plan yet)

Broadway-7 Av Line(1)(2)(3) - 225 St, Dyckman St, 191 St, 181 St, 168 St, 137 St, 125 St, 116 St, 110 St, 86 St, 79 St, 23 St, 14 St, Houston St, Wakefield-241 St, Bronx Park East, 174 St, Prospect Av, 149 St-Grand Concourse, 125 St (Lenox), Central Park North-110 St, Clark St, Franklin Av, Church Av (or Sterling St), Junius St, New Lots Av

Lexington Av Line (4)(5)(6) - Woodlawn, Bedford Park Blvd, Burnside Av, Dyre Av, Westchester Sq-E Tremont Av, Parkchester, Morrison-Soundview Avs, E 143 St, 3 Av-138 St, 103 St, 96 St, 59 St, 14 St-Union Sq

Flushing Line (7) - Vernon-Jackson, Hunterspoint Av, Queensboro Plaza, 82 St, 90 St, 103 St

8 Av Line (A)(C) - Dyckman St (or 190 St), 145 St, 110 St, 96 St, 86 St, 81 St, 50 St, Canal St, Hoyt-Schermerhorn, Van Siclen Av, Rockaway Blvd, Broad Channel

Queens Blvd Line (E)(F)(M)(R) - Parsons Blvd (F), Woodhaven Blvd, Elmhurst Av, Northern Blvd, Steinway St, Court Square, 5 Av-53 St

Jamaica Line (J)(M) - Fresh Pond Road, Myrtle Av-Broadway, Broadway Junction, Gates Av  (or Halsey St), Alabama Av, Crescent St, 85 St-Forest Parkway, 111 St, Delancey St-Essex St, Broad St

Broadway Line (N)(Q)(R)(W) - Ditmars Blvd, 30 Av, Lexington Av-59 St, 49 St, 23 St, Canal St, Whitehall St, Court St

4 Av/West End/Sea Beach/Brighton - (B) (D)(N)(Q)(R) - 7 Av, Beverley Rd, Newkirk Av (Newkirk Plaza), Avenue J, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, West 8 St, 4 Av-9 St, 36 St, Bay Parkway (N), 86 St (N).

Culver Line (F)(G) - Bergen St, Carroll St (or Smith-9 Sts), 4 Av-9 St, 7 Av (F)(G), 15 St-Prospect Park, 18 Av, Bay Pkwy, Kings Hwy (F), Avenue X.

Canarsie Line (L) - 6 Av, Grand St, DeKalb Av, Wilson Av, Broadway Junction, Atlantic Av, New Lots Av

Dyckman on the (1) is already getting an elevator installed on the Uptown platform, with the downtown platform elevator operational since 2014 (thanks to a settlement in a lawsuit back in 2011). As for 168-191, I still don’t get why the MTA didn’t plan to make the stations accessible when they were replacing the elevators on those stations. For 225th, good luck finding space for one at either platform exit.

Sadly that won’t happen, the contractor that is working on renewing (J) stations have said that the MTA has a plan to add elevators at selected stations, there was also complaints from Astoria residents when the MTA was renewing the (N) and (W)

I do agree with your plan, in this case during future renovations on the (7) they could add an elevator at 52nd 69th and 103rd streets, 90th street wasn’t chosen for renewal work for some reason, but it would’ve been a great place to add an elevator