NICE Bus Route Changes Effective May 26, 2024

Posted (edited)

https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Now

(Schedules have not been released yet)

New n31X route

One major highlight is the introduction of an n31X route between Hempstead Transit Center and Mott/Central Avenues (near Far Rockaway (A)station) via Rockville Centre. Buses would operate non-stop between Hempstead and Rockville Centre, then stop in Lynbrook, and make limited stops to Far Rockaway. Presumably runs during weekday rush hours. If they wanted to, they could have added a stop at Mercy Medical Center and probably eliminated that community shuttle route. 

Other Route changes effective May 26 Include:

n1

• Off Peak extension to/from UBS Arena during daytime hours

n21

• Sunday service only between Roslyn and Glen Cove

n71

• Route between Hempstead and Farmingdale discontinued
  • Service operates between Farmingdale State College and Amityville at all times
  • Service boosted to every 40 minutes
Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 5/7/2024 at 12:38 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Off Peak extension to/from UBS Arena during daytime hours

Extending the route to the middle of nowhere. I don't see this lasting long. 

New n31X route

Eh, I personally think the n32 should've gotten the express variant.

6 hours ago, TheNextGen2009 said:

How does the N6 turn around at the UBS arena?

7 hours ago, TheNextGen2009 said:

And the current terminus isn't?

Posted (edited)

https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Now

(Schedules have not been released yet)

New n31X route

One major highlight is the introduction of an n31X route between Hempstead Transit Center and Mott/Central Avenues (near Far Rockaway (A)station) via Rockville Centre. Buses would operate non-stop between Hempstead and Rockville Centre, then stop in Lynbrook, and make limited stops to Far Rockaway. Presumably runs during weekday rush hours. If they wanted to, they could have added a stop at Mercy Medical Center and probably eliminated that community shuttle route. 

What...the...F#$%??? After looking at the NEW N31X map, I see that they are making the effort to serve some key areas...but Rockville Centre?

Other Route changes effective May 26 Include:

n1

• Off Peak extension to/from UBS Arena during daytime hours

So all the N6 buses is not enough? Did they cut some N6 bus service? Also, if the N1 is going to the bus terminal at UBS like the Q2, Q110 and apparently the N6 shuttle which I saw last week on Hillside Av...how will the N1 get out? The way the Q2 and Q110 is a right turn only onto Hempstead Tpke/Hempstead Av.

n21

• Sunday service only between Roslyn and Glen Cove

Whoop-dee-doo

n71

• Route between Hempstead and Farmingdale discontinued

Well sure why not...the N72 was cut and now leaving the N70 as the ONLY Hempstead route? 

• Service operates between Farmingdale State College and Amityville at all times
  • Service boosted to every 40 minutes

That 110 corridor must be getting a lot of business. The N71 runs every 40 minutes, SCT 1 operates every 30 minutes...hmmm?

Edited by The TransitMan

13 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

I think it follows the Q2 and Q110 into and out of the terminal.

It won’t stop with the Q2 and Q110 because it won’t be able to turn around to head back to Hewlett. Instead I believe it will enter the Cross Island Parkway South (past 225th street stop) and then exit to loop back onto Hempstead Turnpike, making its first stop in front of the UBS parking garage. 

I am one that is happy about the change to the n1 because I’ve always felt Elmont Rd/Hempstead Turnpike to be a stub for the n1. At least if we can’t get the Q4 to Elmont Rd, the n1 can connect to the Q2 and Q110 and provide an alternative to the n6 which is often packed. I can see more improvements to the n1 on the horizon. 

On 5/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, hounddriver said:

16 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

I think it follows the Q2 and Q110 into and out of the terminal.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It won’t stop with the Q2 and Q110 because it won’t be able to turn around to head back to Hewlett. Instead I believe it will enter the Cross Island Parkway South (past 225th street stop) and then exit to loop back onto Hempstead Turnpike, making its first stop in front of the UBS parking garage. 

I am one that is happy about the change to the n1 because I’ve always felt Elmont Rd/Hempstead Turnpike to be a stub for the n1. At least if we can’t get the Q4 to Elmont Rd, the n1 can connect to the Q2 and Q110 and provide an alternative to the n6 which is often packed. I can see more improvements to the n1 on the horizon. 

I was responding to the N6 question that "hounddriver" asked BUT thank you for answering N1 question. Was kind of interested about that.

Yes the N1 has been a "?????" for years now. At least they are heading in the right direction by adding some changes to the route. I agree with you "Newflyer230".

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, hounddriver said:

It probably deadheads to Elmont Road to become a n1 to Hewlett. There are two n6 runs to USB Arena in the AM that conveniently line up (schedule wise) with two southbound n1 runs, which are also during the timeframe that the Northbound n1 runs go to Jamaica.  

Edited by N6 Limited

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 1:26 AM, The TransitMan said:

So all the N6 buses is not enough? Did they cut some N6 bus service? Also, if the N1 is going to the bus terminal at UBS like the Q2, Q110 and apparently the N6 shuttle which I saw last week on Hillside Av...how will the N1 get out? The way the Q2 and Q110 is a right turn only onto Hempstead Tpke/Hempstead Av.

Relying on the n6 to transfer to the n1 in time, or from the n1 to go a few stops, sucks. The n6 gets packed, late and bunched. This seems like a helpful extension. Also, Belmont Village (Shopping Center) will be opening soon. (Also connects the Arena to the Valley Stream LIRR.)

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The Cross Island south would be a bad merge for a bus, it would have to merge under the Hempstead Ave overpass just to exit again. I can see them using Cross Island North to Elmont LIRR station, then Cross Island South to Hempstead Ave West exit, then Left on Hempstead Ave. It would be nice if it actually served the LIRR Elmont station though. 

Other options, if nimby approved, could be protected Left on 225th st, right on 103 Ave, right on 223rd st, right on Hempstead Ave.

or right on 222nd st (QV depot uses 222nd) , right on 101 Ave/100th Dr, right on Cross Island Pkwy/224th, left on Hempstead Ave.

Edited by N6 Limited

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Relying on the n6 to transfer to the n1 in time, or from the n1 to go a few stops, sucks. The n6 gets packed, late and bunched. This seems like a helpful extension. Also, Belmont Village (Shopping Center) will be opening soon. (Also connects the Arena to the Valley Stream LIRR.)

The Cross Island south would be a bad merge for a bus, it would have to merge under the Hempstead Ave overpass just to exit again. I can see them using Cross Island North to Elmont LIRR station, then Cross Island South to Hempstead Ave West exit, then Left on Hempstead Ave. It would be nice if it actually served the LIRR Elmont station though. 

Other options, if nimby approved, could be protected Left on 225th st, right on 103 Ave, right on 223rd st, right on Hempstead Ave.

or right on 222nd st (QV depot uses 222nd) , right on 101 Ave/100th Dr, right on Cross Island Pkwy/224th, left on Hempstead Ave.

Last night upon looking at street view through Google Maps I realized what I suggested probably won’t work due to the low clearance under the bridge.
The first and last stop on the n1 should really be Hempstead Ave/225th street. Buses can turn around the way you suggest and it opens up a connection to the Q27 via a 5 minute walk.

Posted (edited)

- Unlike with this n71 SUNY Farmingdale - Amityville route, that n31x is crazy enough to work.... Most riders from the Rockaways are either heading to, or north of Merrick rd... On top of that, most the riders seeking points north of Merrick rd. are going to Hempstead (not necessarily HTC itself, but it is inclusive)... It'll also take a certain number of riders off the n15 b/w RVC & HTC.... Whoever their planners are (and/or whoever's feeding them information), are doing their homework.... The way I'm looking at this n31x, is that it's a measure of potentially phasing out the n31 and that Mercy Medical shuttle.... Just look at this current n71 "pilot" that's going to end up being "the" n71, with the portion west of Farmingdale being phased out....

- I hope this isn't the case, but what I'm starting to think with this involving of the n1 (as it relates to the n6) is that they're looking into cutting into n6 service by having both of these routes coupled (much like the current n31/32, or the current weekday n70/71 are).... In other words, decreasing the amount of total n6 trips in/out of HTC.... I do not see the having of buses ending at UBS along Hempstead Tpke. being a long term solution.... I look at MSG & see what happened with the M10 & the M4, & AFAIC, the Q32 is next....

- I would try my hand at a weekend n21/n27 loop b/w Glen Cove & {LIRR} Roslyn (no actual layover in Roslyn, only terminating at Bridge/Pratt, alongside the post office in Glen Cove)... While the n21 only runs 6 days a week, generally speaking I wouldn't bother with having both the n20H and the n21 running to/from Great Neck on weekends....

Edited by B35 via Church

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

https://www.nicebus.com/getattachment/Passenger-Information/Now/n70-5-18-24.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

The n70/71 schedule is now out. While it shows the n71 now being a full time Farmingdale-Amityville route, the route has also been altered to no longer serve Conklin Street and Downtown Farmingdale. Buses will now continue down Route 110 to Route 109, then enter Nassau County that way. The n71 will now serve Republic Plaza. Might be be a way to compensate for the elimination of the n72 a long time ago. 

The route will also be the first NICE bus route to not have any terminals in Nassau County. Also the only route in the downstate region to not terminate within its main county of operation. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Posted (edited)

IDK if some of the (current) weekend n71 trips interline with the n70, but I know they interline with the n54/5 at Amityville.... Now that they're going to have this rendition of an n71 run weekdays, I'd look into combining it with the n19... Have it continue on Merrick rd & turn onto 110, parallelling the SCT route #2 to LIRR Amityville... Then continue the n71 routing as slated (which will fill that gap, benefiting those folks that work in that business park around Bi-County blvd) via Fulton, to Conklin/rt. 110, to end (like those weekend n72's did, before those got cut)..... Either way, I wouldn't bother running it to the college, not even for the connection to the SCT route #12....

Edited by B35 via Church

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

IDK if some of the (current) weekend n71 trips interline with the n70, but I know they interline with the n54/5 at Amityville.... Now that they're going to have this rendition of an n71 run weekdays, I'd look into combining it with the n19... Have it continue on Merrick rd & turn onto 110, parallelling the SCT route #2 to LIRR Amityville... Then continue the n71 routing as slated (which will fill that gap, benefiting those folks that work in that business park around Bi-County blvd) via Fulton, to Conklin/rt. 110, to end (like those weekend n72's did, before those got cut)..... Either way, I wouldn't bother running it to the college, not even for the connection to the SCT route #12....

Looking at the new schedule, I suspect they'll try to interline this n71 with the n70 as much as possible, which means they'll need to share a terminus in order to minimize logistical issues.

53 minutes ago, Lex said:

Looking at the new schedule, I suspect they'll try to interline this n71 with the n70 as much as possible, which means they'll need to share a terminus in order to minimize logistical issues.

For all I care, the n70 can be cut back to Conklin/110 also.... Once it hits 110, there are more EB riders getting off at that first stop (after the turn onto 110) xferring for the S1 than are staying on the bus north of Conklin.... Regardless of anything involving the n19, I don't think anything should be terminating at the college (including the SCT route #12. which I think should run to that Wal-mart along 110)....

I just think having buses going back & forth b/w SUNY Farmingdale & LIRR Amityville all day is wasteful (the current weekend n71, or this soon to be rendition of the n71)....

On 5/11/2024 at 1:55 AM, N6 Limited said:

It probably deadheads to Elmont Road to become a n1 to Hewlett. There are two n6 runs to USB Arena in the AM that conveniently line up (schedule wise) with two southbound n1 runs, which are also during the timeframe that the Northbound n1 runs go to Jamaica.  

Thats Exactly what it does! I had that run a few times.

Start as a 1 in Hewlett end in Jamaica. Most 1's Turned into a 26 but there was about 3 runs that Came back as a 6 to UBS and turned Into a 1

21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I just think having buses going back & forth b/w SUNY Farmingdale & LIRR Amityville all day is wasteful (the current weekend n71, or this soon to be rendition of the n71)....

I wonder why NICE is even bothering to provide such as service when the s1 already does  that? I am under the belief that this is the eventual setup to the n71 being eliminated. I would bring back some lost service in eastern Nassau like the n45 and or n74.

18 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Hopefully they end up relabeling those as n1s back to Hewlett. There's no point in causing this confusion for the passengers. Just say you restored reverse-peak n1 service from Jamaica and call it a day.

I wish they would give the n1 bidirectional rush hour service to Jamaica to avoid the transfer to the n6 which is always crowded by the time it hits Elmont Road. However I would modify the n1 so that for any trips that goes to/from Jamaica it would skip Green Arces and go straight to Hewlett. If rush hour service was to ever get down to 15 minutes I would have a n1x service every 30 minutes between Jamaica and Hewlett (skips Green Arces)(rush hour only) and the regular n1 (every 15 minutes) that will run still run between Hewlett and Elmont via Green Arces. 

On 5/21/2024 at 10:07 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Hopefully they end up relabeling those as n1s back to Hewlett. There's no point in causing this confusion for the passengers. Just say you restored reverse-peak n1 service from Jamaica and call it a day.

It's insane that they effectively did that, yet chose to force people to transfer rather than provide direct service.

10 hours ago, IAlam said:

It's insane that they effectively did that, yet chose to force people to transfer rather than provide direct service.

Why did they sign it to USB Arena instead of Elmont Rd.?

On 5/8/2024 at 1:35 PM, TheNextGen2009 said:

Definitely the n32 should have. Its wayy more direct. Or for a tru express it should run via. Peninsula Blvd.

On 5/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wonder why NICE is even bothering to provide such a service when the s1 already does that? I am under the belief that this is the eventual setup to the n71 being eliminated....

I don't have a problem with the core of the route (matter of fact, I like the change where they now have it running on Fulton st - albeit they could stand to add another stop along it, instead of having just the 1 stop), I have a problem with the endpoints.... As stated earlier, I don't think anything should be ending at SUNY Farmingdale, and IDRC for turning LIRR Amityville into this hub of sorts... Way I see it, this is all setting up for when Sunrise Mall completely goes defunct.... We already see what they did with the n71 (eliminate that layer of service along Hempstead Tpke. to have it run past Sunrise to LIRR Amityville).... I really want to see what NICE is going to do with the n19 & the n80....

Something else I don't have a problem with, is doing away with having the n54/55 and the n71 running b/w HTC & Sunrise... At least they maintained service levels along Hempstead Tpke. (by adding service on the n70) with the loss of the n71.....

On 5/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wish they would give the n1 bidirectional rush hour service to Jamaica to avoid the transfer to the n6 which is always crowded by the time it hits Elmont Road.

However I would modify the n1 so that for any trips that goes to/from Jamaica it would skip Green Acres and go straight to Hewlett. If rush hour service was to ever get down to 15 minutes I would have a n1x service every 30 minutes between Jamaica and Hewlett (skips Green Acres) (rush hour only) and the regular n1 (every 15 minutes) that will run still run between Hewlett and Elmont via Green Acres. 

- You may get your wish with that first part... However, if that were to happen, I see it coming at the expense of n6 local service.

- As far as modifying the n1 in such a manner & instituting an n1x, I happen to agree with the way NICE currently has the n1 setup on weekdays, where buses either run from Hewlett (serving the folks south of Green Acres) or from LIRR Valley Stream (saving runtime by not having buses serve Green Acres, albeit as an n1 short turn short of it)... I don't see a real need for an n1x, because the n1 doesn't carry that well south of Green Acres... In turn, I wouldn't have buses from Hewlett skipping Green Acres, because it could use the ridership...

I know you're talking about weekdays, but something I would do on weekends is have the n1 throughout the day (on current headways) run from Jamaica to Green Acres, with no service south of Green Acres.... The n1 would do much better b/w Jamaica & Elmont on weekends, than they currently do south of Green Acres on weekends...

won't work because now you abandon the N26 service the AM! But these ;people that come up with these ideas here are pure idiots!