Bus Driver Attacked On Q66 Bus

Cait Sith

From NY1 News

A city bus driver was attacked this morning during a scuffle with a passenger in Queens.

Police say the incident happened just before 8 o'clock this morning at Queens Plaza North and 21st Street on a Q66 bus.

Police say a man in his 30s was sitting directly behind the driver and tried to grab her bag.

During the struggle, a glass bottle inside the bag broke. According to police, the man then picked up the bottle, demanded the driver's ring, and then fled.

The driver was taken to the hospital with a cut on her hand.

This comes a little more than a week after the stabbing death of bus driver Edwin Thomas. His death prompted the MTA and the union to say they would look into ways to better protect bus drivers.

Police say Horace Moore, 20, confessed to the murder. He's being held without bail.

You goota be kidding me, right? They should have the shields they have on cabs.

i hate to be the bad guy here but in cabs the passengers sit behind the driver, there for the driver of the cab won't see it coming, where as a bus driver, unless the person is sitting in the seat right behind them and stabs them in the neck, would have a chance to defend themselfs, as long as the person doesn't have a gun and you have people on the bus that would come to the aid.

however even though the shields are a good idea, what happens if the bus gets into an accident and flips over and catches on fire, then what would be a safety device becomes something that poses a risk to the drivers safty.

i hate to be the bad guy here but in cabs the passengers sit behind the driver, there for the driver of the cab won't see it coming, where as a bus driver, unless the person is sitting in the seat right behind them and stabs them in the neck, would have a chance to defend themselfs, as long as the person doesn't have a gun and you have people on the bus that would come to the aid.

however even though the shields are a good idea, what happens if the bus gets into an accident and flips over and catches on fire, then what would be a safety device becomes something that poses a risk to the drivers safty.

Those bus windows fog up enough, a shield would make it worse in rain, sleet, ice, snow, hail, hurricane, fire, brimstone, etc.

When you choose to work for the TA in a rank and file position, you sign up to become the public's punching bag, and the target of crooks. People who have other issues, take out their frustrations on us, and those who want to steal, would do it to a TA employee. Remember some see MTA as ATM. It's a sad truth. Glad this operator is not too badly hurt.........

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (PSP (PlayStation Portable); 2.00))

this is just getting out of hand first the death of a B/O and now another attack MTA better think quick

You know as well as I do, and so do the other employees, MTA is thinking quick. How quick they can blame the driver, interrogate them, ask her was the pocketbook "put on display" (not out of view), why didn't she just give it to them then call police and control center, etc. Thing is, this stuff happens daily, it is just not news, until a driver is seriously hurt, or killed, then all attacks become news-stories. These become newsworthy now, cause the papers and media, can get a story of what will TWU propose, and what will MTA do, especially since Elliot G. is our "newfound friend". It takes a tragedy to expose the things that do happen here daily (except murder, which is rare). It is the tabloids soap opera for now........

I agree.

Even thought I sometimes violate game, or become impatient on bus or subway, I never attack bus operators or train operator.

Some B/O's have bad attitudes and do things like purposely slowing down when the bus is ahead of schedule. However, there is no justification for assaulting a bus driver.

Those bus windows fog up enough, a shield would make it worse in rain, sleet, ice, snow, hail, hurricane, fire, brimstone, etc.

When you choose to work for the TA in a rank and file position, you sign up to become the public's punching bag, and the target of crooks. People who have other issues, take out their frustrations on us, and those who want to steal, would do it to a TA employee. Remember some see MTA as ATM. It's a sad truth. Glad this operator is not too badly hurt.........

that is ssooo freaking on the money.......I am a public punching bag!!! :cool:

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (PSP (PlayStation Portable); 2.00))

i know people need to learn how to control their anger and dont take it out on innocent people

I've meet alot of good people when I did basically 3 pics on the Bx19. I won't forget and haven't forgotten what what guy said to me. "I don't know you you do this job, cause the human animal is an unpredictable creature". See you know if you see a lion, it's instincts are usually to attack. Same for bears, Hippos, Crocodiles, etc. Humans.....Well you don't know what they will do, and being a B/O you are right there with no protection, answering questions, being yelled at of why you are late, and all kinds of non-sense...........

do what you have to to do to protect yourself on the road be prepare center mirror on seat behind you and do not let no one come up to you without you seeing them first be prepare.

That's why I had no problems in the Bronx. My center mirror was set up properly, but still I could see who was coming up behind me. You also learn to use the inside of the windshield, since you can get a good interior reflection of the inside of the bus.......

Archived