What were your memories of riding the subway

JJr142

The mystery that was Manhattan...when I was younger, the farthest I would go on the (3) train was Nevins St, then return home. On 9-Car R62As, that would mean I would 90% of the time get the RFW, because no one rides in the front at New Lots Av or Van Siclen. I remember wondering why the red signals wouldn't clear until we came right up to it, and I remember being mad that the (4) only had an RFW 35% of the time (didn't know car classes back then), while the (2) and the <5> (never saw it outside of rush hours) would always have one like my (3) train. When I first went past Nevins St, I automatically wondered why the lights in the tunnel changed after Borough Hall. But I LOVED the 7th Av EXP northbound. I also liked seeing a (9) train. Never got to ride it but saw it plenty of times. Now that I'm older, I can appreciate the subway by knowing its history, but in 2001, when most of the R62As left the (3) and I lost that guaranteed RFW, I was sad, but knowing I'd have an extra car to ride in let me appreciate the R62's migration. Yep, I pretty much stayed in the IRT during my childhood.

Before joining here.

It was long time ago. (Few years ago I think.) and when I-TV was PAX-TV featuring 'It's A Miracle" show

I was waiting for R142 Bronx-bound (6) train at 51st St.

I still remember I was behind the stroller and when I try to enter, door closed little on me, when I got in subway and got little scratch.

After that incident, I always get afraid of closing doors.

It happened on Brooklyn-bound (R) at Lex Av as well after X37 didn't yield to me when I was trying to cross 5th Av on walk sign. (At 41st St)

When i was younger, i was going to take the (6) to 14st, and when the train was coming, it was an R142A. I was soo excited that i couldent stay still. I was like this because i have not rode an R142A before and i always wanted to ride them cuz i always rode on an R62A.

For the first 5 years of my life, I lived near the Brighton. I loved seeing the R68s and R68As running there. It was so cool! When I moved to my current house in 1997, I always couldnt wait to ride the subways on the weekends. I rode the R68s on the D alot back in 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001, when we went to Coney Island on weekends and it was among the best memories of my childhood.

One of the best memories I've ever had was defiantly on a R40 Slant (W) when I was switching car and saw this girl sitting at the conner near the conductor's cab. She kinda resembled my classmate/dreamgirl Casey so I came over and said "Casey what's up? What'cha doing in the city." But when she lifted her had she wasn't who I though. She had crystal blue eyes, wavy brown hair and tan skin and the nicest voice. She turned out to be this girl named Gia and me and her ended up talking all they up to Lexington. We later became Boyfriend-Girlfriend and lasted 4 months.

Going to old Stillwell Ave station via Sea Beach (N) at 59 St, Bklyn which could be an R-32s, R-40s, or R-68s. Or via West End (:D which was slants and eventually became R-68s. I didn't ride the (Q6) slants much, but I used to see it at DeKalb and in Manhattan. And I once remember a (Q6) was signed at the front as a "<Q>" which looked so weird then. No south side of the Bridge at the time. (N)/® were slow through Montague, so for Manhattan it was usually the (:) with slants, which I liked for the low RFW. Both the (B) & (Q6) would sometimes have "Queensbridge" on the north rollsign since it was a terminal for them. Used to take Redbirds on the (2) & (5)<5> and some on the (4) & (6) too, but they had a good share of R-62s (A?). Redbirds were coolest thing to me back then and I used to wait for them at Brooklyn Bridge which was still in the process of renovation at the time. Then alongside the Redbird (2) on the Bway/7th Ave was the (9) which I was occasionally on for local stops.

And of course, "(NYCT)" was the symbol. :D

One of the things I most enjoyed was going riding the trains with my dad when I was a kid and I caught the R-110B in its first week of service, completely unexpectedly without even knowing what it was or why it was running.

Realized it was new and special, but didn't understand it later until I saw the poster explaining the new tech trial by a station booth.

One of the things I most enjoyed was going riding the trains with my dad when I was a kid and I caught the R-110B in its first week of service, completely unexpectedly without even knowing what it was or why it was running.

Realized it was new and special, but didn't understand it later until I saw the poster explaining the new tech trial by a station booth.

I saw the R110B but I never actually got on it. Back in 1999 me and my brother were at West 4th Street waiting for the E to Queens. The R110B C train showed up. I couldn't convince him to get on.

When I was very little I would take the train to the city with my dad and go to work with him. We took the (F) at 15th Prospect Park to Jay for the (A)/© to Chambers Street. Being that young I thought the R46 were new cars because of the LCD signs. I remember when I really got into subway stuff, I found out to much surprise that they were much older cars then I thought.

I remember when I was around six [haha] taking the <6> down to Brooklyn Bridge, when my dad had to do something in the city. I think we rode an R62A...but I remember kneeling on the seat and staring out the window.

In subsequent years, I remember riding the redbirds to the dentist office, which was on Centre Street. I used to be so scared when they'd make that loud shrieking noise, and the lights would go out.

And then, I remember encouraging my parents to take the train all the way from Pelham Bay, then go out to Coney Island. They wanted to take the express bus, but I coerced them into riding the train. That day must have been one of my firsts on the R142A.

For Starters:

-The (B) & (D) on their historic routes.

-Weekend 6-Car R40 Slant (:D Trains; sometimes terminating at 36 St

-Weekend R-32 (pre-GOH) (Q) Train Layups on the Brighton EL

- R44/SIR / R46 with the blue stripes

-First time seeing a (Z) Train; sometime in 1990

-Old Stillwell Avenue

-9 Car R-62 (3) Trains

-4 Car weekend TEST Run R-68/R-68A (D) Trains along the Brighton in revenue service.

-R68As displaying <Q> as opposed to (Q6), because the 6 Av (Q6) wasn't included on the rollsigns.

-Redbirds everywhere on the IRT

-I actually remember ( going back to 1988/1989 ) an R-30 on the (L)!

-The Broadway Express Tracks ( now (N)(Q) ) collecting dust over the years.

-The Canal St-Bridge Station (now (N)(Q) ) was abandoned and was always flooded; No Trackbed, but their was some signage that the (J) & (Z) stopped there.

-Vaguely remember the (JFK)

-Bronx-Bound (C) Trains / 168 St / 21 St / 57 St Bound (:) Trains

-Graffiti filled R40 Slants on the (B); I'm talking 1988...

More to come later...

Zachary

Guest Charles

For me:

Long before the sun rises every morning,

Going into the subway every morning, but not before crossing Queens Blvd every day.

Greeted by a long empty corrider that stretches forever

The station, as usual, is empty, eerily empty

Downstairs, the hoarse throaty whistle of the R32s chug along

Finally two lights and an orange (F) appear

Doors open, no one gets off, one person gets on

"Standclearoftheclosingdoors"

Train leaves the station, just in time for a morning nap

Cacophonous sounds in the tunnel--but I don't hear it

And the whole phase repeats again next morning.

Archived