If You Were Paid, What Dying Fleet Would You Save?

N-Trizzy2609

As we all know the R32 to R42s are a dying breed. And also the R110s are almost dead. So what if you were incharge and the board of directors told you that you can't purchase any new subway cars but gave you $2 Billion to rebuilt a whole fleet, which fleet would you save? And what would you do to them?

R32, R38, R40 Slant and Mods (Count those as one), R42 or R44s.

Choose wisely....

I myself chose the Brightliners because they are very beautiful and streaked up and down. If I was paid, I would reoverhaul them and add brighter (R160 type) lights. I'd add LED indicators at the car ends, and keep the three rollsign window just replace those with LED. The front would be replaced with new LED signs similar to the R160s. The seat would be brighter and the interior would be repaint to white.

R32.

If I had all the money in the world, I'd strip them down and add NTT-type technology into them, space permitting. I'd keep them looking the same as the GOH (the current look), keeping the side rollsigns and everything (even the TA tan), but replace the front flipdot sign with LED. Maybe change the bonnet to what it looked like before the GOH, something like the GE rebuilds, except add the LED sign.

Matter of fact, I might work on a concept subway car called the R32 Reborn. Completely new, but R32 style with NTT in it... it would be similar to this rebuilding except no rollsigns on the sides.

definitely R-38s... I'd have them stripped dowm, and have every part rebuilt, replaced, or repaired. The cars would be completely overhauled. The only change would be that i'd add a middle row of lights down the ceiling, to make things brighter.

None.

If I have the money, I will invest it into other areas that will benefit the greater whole. Those cars are old and frail, a complete rebuild is unnecessary and does not guarantee that after an overhaul they will be as efficient as when they were new. If procurements are to be made for rolling stock, I would rather invest in newer rolling stock, as there is guarantee that they will be efficient.

If I had a lot of money, I would buy all the dying trains and restore them to their original look. For example, the R32's use to be blue inside with straphangers and blue doors. It use to have marker lights on top of the ends. Also it use to have a bar on the top portion of the long window in the center. I would put the old TA logo as well.

Well, my ambition is at least save a set of R-46, set of R-62 and a set if R-68 if possible, :P!

R-46: 8 Cars Min.

R-62: 12 Cars Min.

R-68: 8 Car Min.

I'll need land and at least 5 million buck... Need to work, work and work...

Those guys are not retiring for another 10-30 years. So calm down.

if there were enough r27/30 left I would round them all up, paint them in mta silver/blue livery and restore them completley to origional condition and send them thundering down the bmt on fast services:tup:

if only the mta didnt send like 97% of them to scrap

I would save the R42s. Those are my trains because I live by the 85th St/Forest parkway station and have heard them rolling on the elevated tracks since 1997 when I moved to queens. I would make the roofs and the side bottoms stainless steel, the same as the reg. sides so that they wouldnt rust and I would put LCD screens in the fronts and on the sides so that it appears like a roll sign but its really the LCD screen. and yeah just make everything stainless steel so it wont rust up and look bad. ill give it the old colors back on the insides too...and bring back the strap handles. dont forget the blue stripe!

Tisk... that's a might too far in the future.. think about your studies now so you could get a good job, so that later you have the money to save those cars for real.

That's my worthy advice.

if things continue the way they are now good studies won't get us a definite job even.

Archived