R160s coming for the (R)?

PelhamExpress6

R160 on the (R)? I really don't know about that in my opinion, and I do see some valid points like the crews for the (R) and (V) lines not trained for operating the R160 car series. Maybe if the (E) and (F) have enough R160 cars, maybe the (R) will get them. That's just my guess.

The E is not losing R160s. The F is simply gaining some.

The R rumor is somewhat based on fact, fact which has since changed. The decision was to go with 60 foot cars on the R, sending R46s over to the E and F. These 60 foot cars were the R32s and R42s. I believe this was not done because the E cannot reasonably handle a fleet of R46s, considering the smaller amount of doors per train would drive up dwell times in stations. The R had some issue where 75 foot cars (R46s) were returning to the yard with broken threshold plates, indicating some kind of clearance issue along the route.

There have been NO R44S RETIRED SINCE THE R160 FLEET HAS ENTERED SERVICE. The number of R32s scrapped is a slight majority. More than 270 remain in service. The number of remaining slants is a smaller number(even considering the fact that the slants are a smaller fleet. ) and is quickly shrinking.

Dude, trust me they are. I examined the QB Express yesterday, I didnt stay around too long but after a while, the (F) definitely had more sets than the (E). The (E) had its R160s with one R32, R46 and a bunch of their usual 40/42s. There's not enough R160s for the (F) to "gain". Think about the scenario like if the (N) had a ton of R160s with the (W) now receiving, there wasnt enough for the W to gain more than 2 sets, so they had to take some from the (N) and replace those lost sets with R68s.

One set of R44s were taken out of service last year, I only remember two cars numbered 5402 and 5283, forgot the rest of the numbers.

I am not looking forward to hearing those loud noise machines at roosevelt island with the way the station is designed, however working AC in summer will be a plus as the tram will be out.

- A

I am not looking forward to hearing those loud noise machines at roosevelt island with the way the station is designed, however working AC in summer will be a plus as the tram will be out.

- A

Preview for you my good sir

Would make sense, but then I could no longer just jump onto any 160 I see at Lexington, when heading to Astoria. Since many people do remember train olines by equipment, I'm wondering if they'll hold off on the 160's for that reason.

All four lines on Bway would have them, then.

I still say the (G) should definitely get them for the OPTO, and more doors for the crowds.

Dude, trust me they are. I examined the QB Express yesterday, I didnt stay around too long but after a while, the (F) definitely had more sets than the (E). The (E) had its R160s with one R32, R46 and a bunch of their usual 40/42s. There's not enough R160s for the (F) to "gain". Think about the scenario like if the (N) had a ton of R160s with the (W) now receiving, there wasnt enough for the W to gain more than 2 sets, so they had to take some from the (N) and replace those lost sets with R68s.

One set of R44s were taken out of service last year, I only remember two cars numbered 5402 and 5283, forgot the rest of the numbers.

To really know how many sets the E and F are running you'd techincally have to sit and wait until you see all 26 of the trains the E runs and all 45 the F runs. So don't be so quick to say the E is losing since I'm sure you didn't sit around at one station for 2+ hours counting.

To really know how many sets the E and F are running you'd techincally have to sit and wait until you see all 26 of the trains the E runs and all 45 the F runs. So don't be so quick to say the E is losing since I'm sure you didn't sit around at one station for 2+ hours counting.

Been there, done that. It only takes 2 hours and 35 minutes for the full (E) while it takes 3 hours and 45 minutes for the full (F) @ Roosevelt ave. I know what im talking about here.

As of now Both (E)(F) Lines are sharing the R160 fleet which means less R160 are running on the (E) Line. The only reason I got was the (F) don't like R42 Equipment on the line and (F) crews have been trained on R160's since the Summer of 08. The (F) was suppose to be the first to get them but the (E) Line Supt stepped in. However he seems to be losing his touch these days. The (R) will get R160's after the (E)(F) but only a few sets.

The E's car assignments have not changed. As the F is now allowed to run R160s, that R160 trains which have shown up on the E can now run on the F. I do not believe such is intentional, but those particular trains are no longer forced to run on the E. Individual trains are not assigned to specific lines. In theory, All R160s at Jamaica could be on either the E or the F(provided that there are still enough R32/R42 sets to run the E).

The obstruction issue on the R line essentially consisted of R trains returning to Jamaica yard with damaged threshold plates. (That is why they are being painted red- To show if they have hit something/what they hit)

I believe MTR is generally correct on the R160 future assignments, provided things have not changed too much.

On the side issue of R44s, 5402, 5285, and 5283 have been out of service since 1997.

In 2003-4, cars 5248 and 5268 were found to have structural flaws (I believe they were bolster related, but am not entirely sure), and were to be retired. They made a good 4 car set out of the remaining cars by attaching 5270 in 5248s place. 5402 and 5284 were intended to replace the two problem cars. I believe 5268 was in the end found to be in better shape than 5402, and so they chose to repair that car instead of 5402.

None of this was due to the R160s, and there was no net loss of servicable R44 cars. The inactive 5284 simply replaced the active 5248(although indirectly).

As of now Both (E)(F) Lines are sharing the R160 fleet which means less R160 are running on the (E) Line. The only reason I got was the (F) don't like R42 Equipment on the line and (F) crews have been trained on R160's since the Summer of 08. The (F) was suppose to be the first to get them but the (E) Line Supt stepped in. However he seems to be losing his touch these days. The (R) will get R160's after the (E)(F) but only a few sets.

There's the puzzling aspect to Queens riders, especially those that ride the (E). If the whole reason for R32s for so many years on the (E) was due to doors and dwell times, a legitimate enough argument, then why does the line with the oldest trains in the system for so many years and the highest ridership NOT get the R160s first? The (E) Supt is right. They should have never been slated for the (F) first. That made no sense. If the new trains were 75 feet, that would be one thing. But they are 60 feet with 40 doors per side. That's exactly what the (E) needs.

Putting them on the (E) first was the smartest thing the (MTA) did. Taking them off the (E) for any other line that does not crowd as much defies logic. The (F) can use them for sure, and there's the whole thing with the (A) and retiring slants, but, compromising both the (E) and (F) while running your second most reliable cars, the R46, on the (V), a line that hardly anyone uses, is not logical, sensible, and I'm kinda tired of the (E) passengers being compromised. The (E) is way overdue for updated, upgraded equipment (even though I'm not the biggest R160 fan) and placing some of the R160s in Jamaica on the (F) delays it while the (E) runs mostly problematic R40M/R42s.

For loading and Dwell purposes, which is the entire reason why the E got R32s, the R32, R42, and R160 are virtually identical.

Also, while it may have lower peak loads, each F carries far more passengers, considering that it has two peak directions during each rush hour while the E terminating at WTC only has one.

While I like them very much, the R46s are far from the most reliable fleet in the system.

IIRC, they are the least reliable, although the R42s had been fighting for that title fairly strongly. (Since most of the problem R42s have been pulled from service, you are only seeing the cream of the crop R42s active.)

I don't understand why Broadway runs so many R160s. The R68s served the line well and continue to. The (R) is based out of Jamaica, so if and when crews are trained and the cars are available, it can run R160s. I don't see a point in having R160s on every B-division line. The (R) does well enough with the R46s, though I always thought it was a line with too many tight curves for 75 footers and they struggle around the curves.

The line that can use the R160s that it has not been assigned to is the (A). And unfortunately, the (A) has to wait years before an NTT can run on that line. I find the whole car assignments of the R160 puzzling. I was hoping to see the lines running the oldest equipment get the newest trains but it hasn't panned out that way.

True, I heard about this, And yes the (F) line (passengers) does not like The R40M/42's, I wish they can just throw them on the (V), That would stop making people complain about equipment and the (V) is only a weekday line even though it would screw up everything by putting that equipment on the (V), Lay-ups and swicthing R46's to the (G).

There's the puzzling aspect to Queens riders, especially those that ride the (E). If the whole reason for R32s for so many years on the (E) was due to doors and dwell times, a legitimate enough argument, then why does the line with the oldest trains in the system for so many years and the highest ridership NOT get the R160s first? The (E) Supt is right. They should have never been slated for the (F) first. That made no sense. If the new trains were 75 feet, that would be one thing. But they are 60 feet with 40 doors per side. That's exactly what the (E) needs.

Putting them on the (E) first was the smartest thing the (MTA) did. Taking them off the (E) for any other line that does not crowd as much defies logic. The (F) can use them for sure, and there's the whole thing with the (A) and retiring slants, but, compromising both the (E) and (F) while running your second most reliable cars, the R46, on the (V), a line that hardly anyone uses, is not logical, sensible, and I'm kinda tired of the (E) passengers being compromised. The (E) is way overdue for updated, upgraded equipment (even though I'm not the biggest R160 fan) and placing some of the R160s in Jamaica on the (F) delays it while the (E) runs mostly problematic R40M/R42s.

The Main reason why this is going on because nobody likes the R40M/42's on The (E),(F) and even the (R), They should just throw them on the (V), Brooklyn residents and queens residents on the (F) does not like the R40M/42's at all, That's why they should have been gone before the R38's.

The Main reason why this is going on because nobody likes the R40M/42's on The (E),(F) and even the (R), They should just throw them on the (V), Brooklyn residents and queens residents on the (F) does not like the R40M/42's at all, That's why they should have been gone before the R38's.

What's being said? What's wrong with the R40M/R42 besides the rust on the exterior? I haven't heard anything about them from anyone good or bad. I think they'll be liked if their air conditioners work well a few months from now if they are still in service in Queens. With the R32s, the grumbling I heard was about the air conditioners, screechy brakes, and overall noise level. The 42s seem to have moderate noises with the brakes and operating overall.

I agree with putting the oldest equipment on the V and not the E or F or even the R. The E's problem is that the MTA does not want to use the R46 and it is now "stuck" with the old 60 footers. The MTA actually did a good job in introducing the R160s to the E, it showed a regard for the ridership to update and upgrade its old equipment.

No one ever has an answer as for why passnegrs don't like a certain train car. It's funny.

Where are these surveys being given out at? 90% of straphangers don't know the difference between the R32-R42.

The only complaint I could think of from E/F riders is maybe the seats in the R42/R40M's not being as comfortable as the R32's. And even then, I doubt anyone would take the time out to "file" a complaint and then the MTA would let enough pile up to warrant a change in rolling stock of a line. I take the E everyday from Jamaica Center and only complaining I hear is "I never get a damn seat" or something along the lines of that. Also with complaining about delays. Never, NEVER do I hear anyone complaining about how dirty the cars look on the outside and about noise levels.

I think people have come to grips with the subway being a dirty and noisy place. All people care about is their train getting them where they need to be on time.

Where are these surveys being given out at? 90% of straphangers don't know the difference between the R32-R42.

I think people have come to grips with the subway being a dirty and noisy place. All people care about is their train getting them where they need to be on time.

Straphangers can tell the difference between different car classes, but not the specific name. I think telling a New Technology Train from an old SMEE train is pretty darn obvious.

____

That is true, but the condition of the train does matter to an extent of passenger happiness. You wouldn't want to be riding on a train full of bums and disgusting stuff on the seats with a stench.

Who said anything about option order II going to Jamaica, Most likely the 140 R160B's might go to Jamaica, But Most of the R160A like around 184 are going to CI to bang most of the R68A's to Pitkin/207th and the Last 64 R160A (CBTC Installed) would go to ENY for (L) service for ATO.

Notice that I used the word IF. Which means it is hypothetical. Not that it WILL BE. From what I heard 32 of the R160A Second Option order will be made into 4 car sets, the other 200 will be 5-car sets.

I believe he is correct about the 4 car units amounting to 64 cars. there are 50 R42s in the eastern division which need to be replaced.

I do not believe that his assertion that the R68/As will move is correct. As of last word, the balance of the 5 car sets will be heading to Jamaica.

I believe he is correct about the 4 car units amounting to 64 cars. there are 50 R42s in the eastern division which need to be replaced.

I do not believe that his assertion that the R68/As will move is correct. As of last word, the balance of the 5 car sets will be heading to Jamaica.

Now, if there are 232 cars in total for the R160A order, and 64 will go to ENY, you will have 168 cars for CIY.

And the 4 car sets will be CBTC ready. I'm guessing they will go to the L, instead of the J. Maybe some of the L's R160s can go the J to remove the R42s.

Archived