Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

I have to agree on Hunter College. I live in Colorado. I have the subway map on my wall. However I did not think I had to memorize all the stops to know what neighborhood Hunter is in. In all fairness, I thought the test was going to be like a civil service test. So I killed myself studing math and reading comprehension. So by saying that since you were taking a test about NYC, there was no way of knowing just what the questions were going to focus on.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not alot but a few of the questions were written improperly/convoluted to a point where it wasnt a proper question. Also I thought it wasnt right that they expected people to know where certain landmarks were or which holidays took place on which months as other people have mentioned , IE: where is hunter college, where is the meuseam of natural history, the questions with Labor day and veterens day.. It shouldnt be on the test because it shouldnt be held against people who dont know where certain places are or when certain holidays fall as it has nothing to do with comprehension of the paragraphs. So there will be a few legitimate protests.

Besides.. Life isn't fair, it never was..

Messino that is a load of crap. Knowing where crap in this city is, is a part of the job. You must have never worked for the subway because when I was a conductor I was constantly asked where certain areas or landmarks are, and how to get there. Again, you guys are playing the victim routine here. The questions were fine, you guys just have reading comprehension problems and now the legitimate scores get less value because of the whiners. Whah whah question was too hard, give me charity.

ahhhh you got me! i had no idea what month labor day falls in either! haha... what an american i am, eh????? :tdown:
Yur kidding right???:o I hope you are...lol Don't worry...you'll remember ALL the Holidays if you get the job because you'll be working them!:cry: I'm NOT here to bash anyone but this is INSANE...:P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

I concur, I got the question about hunter college wrong but I dont expect to protest the question. I was plain wrong, there was no trick question about it. I simply didnt know my landmarks as well as I should have. If you got a landmark question wrong and you plan to protest it well then you are dumb. The point of protesting a question is to protest questions where two answers could fit the question. In this case landmarks arent protestable. there is only on correct answer, you either know it or you don't. In my honest opinion, too many people applied for this exam without really knowing anything about it. They just applied because they think operating a subway train is cool or because they were kids and rode the subway while looking out the railfan window and going cool I want to do this. If you want the job you should be expected to know a bit about it and what it entails. Just like you wouldnt apply for the NYPD or FDNY without expecting to know that hey as a cop you should have good memory skills in taking down information about perps. How do you honestly believe that you wont be asked about how to get around NYC as a T/O or C/R. The MTA needs to make these exams more difficult IMHO. If I offended anyone I apologize but this is my opinion.:me:

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

They just applied because they think operating a subway train is cool or because they were kids and rode the subway while looking out the railfan window and going cool I want to do this. If I offended anyone I apologize but this is my opinion.

Apology accepted.

I concur, I got the question about hunter college wrong but I dont expect to protest the question. I was plain wrong, there was no trick question about it. I simply didnt know my landmarks as well as I should have. If you got a landmark question wrong and you plan to protest it well then you are dumb. The point of protesting a question is to protest questions where two answers could fit the question. In this case landmarks arent protestable. there is only on correct answer, you either know it or you don't. In my honest opinion, too many people applied for this exam without really knowing anything about it. They just applied because they think operating a subway train is cool or because they were kids and rode the subway while looking out the railfan window and going cool I want to do this. If you want the job you should be expected to know a bit about it and what it entails. Just like you wouldnt apply for the NYPD or FDNY without expecting to know that hey as a cop you should have good memory skills in taking down information about perps. How do you honestly believe that you wont be asked about how to get around NYC as a T/O or C/R. The MTA needs to make these exams more difficult IMHO. If I offended anyone I apologize but this is my opinion.:me:

Well put! Couldn't agree more! :tup:

I have a hunch that more people failed this exam then got a perfect score. It is that way with ALL city civil service exams. Just take a look at any eligibles list and you will see a bigger pool with lower scores. It is what it is.

Not trying to be too harsh but if a person fails any of these tests than they have to be either illiterate or borderline illiterate.

i have to agree.

Yeah there are some real dummies that work down here and they passed a test at one point. And I know a guy who's a cop NYPD he was in special ed our whole lives he's almost retarded but he passed the test.

Yeah there are some real dummies that work down here and they passed a test at one point. And I know a guy who's a cop NYPD he was in special ed our whole lives he's almost retarded but he passed the test.

That makes me feel a whole lot better now LOL. I was so nervous about this test. And the wait to take it was nerve wracking. I actually took my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh card and stuck it in my wallet for good luck. And the trip going out there I was thinking all like "at long last this is it! I'm gonna get to test for my dream job" it was something i guess now that i think about it was a bit dramatic. But at the same time I recognized it to be something I really wanted.

If people took the time to prepare they should have done fine. These threads have been VALUABLE in learning all about the process and what is expected and the kinds of questions asked, and I knew going in the T/O test would be at least somewhat more challenging than the C/R test. Of course it would be - it's for a higher paying position where you can try to promote to TSS. They're not going to make it easy. It's not a "lend a hand" process. And while they don't expect you to know any "inside info" every one of those questions was designed with a purpose. Hunter College may not be an enormous landmark, but it's not exactly hidden either..."this is a bronx bound 6 local train the next stop is 68th street Hunter College" and you can get that from looking at a subway map, or riding the line, or going to the school, or having someone who did, or just knowing as a New Yorker. If not, that's fine. The purpose of a question like that is to "separate the men from the boys" or "separate the 100s from the 98s" if you will. If you get that question wrong, and everything else right, you get a 98 and change which is still a very good score and get called.

As a T/O we are all going to be responsible for the LIVES of hundreds of people all at once and a single moment of inattention could end in disaster for the city, the MTA, and you (see Robert Ray). They are not just going to turn that kind of position over to someone just because they say "yeah it was cool riding the trains as a kid...I always wanted to give that a shot" they are going to give that opportunity to people who take the time to learn the city, who pay attention to and understand rules as written and interpret them correctly, and who demonstrate this by getting a high score on the test and then go on after they are called to continue displaying attentiveness and comprehension of rules in schoolcar on both written tests and practicals.

They are NOT going to keep people around who argue about alternative interpretations of rules designed to save lives, or would try to justify dismissing a customer who asked them how to get to Hunter College because that's not a "major landmark". Not every person in NYC is always trying to get to ground zero, Times Square, Penn Station, MSG, a baseball stadium, or Grand Central. I thought this test was perfectly fair did my best and will accept whatever score I get...there's no reason for me to protest any of the questions, as while some were worded confusingly, I went with what I thought to be the BEST answer and that be that.

Look I currently work in accounting and since I hate it I'm not pursuing additional credentialing but as far as tests to get jobs go, these tests are EASY! If an accountant wants to become a CPA, they have to spend over $1100 taking a complicated 4 part test that asks questions accountants don't even deal with day to day or even year to year in 4 areas, only 2 of which are really related to accounting at all: General business concepts, taxes and law, rules of accounting, and auditing. The registration fee is almost $350, each test costs over $100 and there is a filing fee. You need to pass all 4 parts in 18 months to get it. Fail, and you have to pay to take it again. Passing grade is a 75, and the pass rate for each section runs around 40%. The questions are really ambiguous talking about abstract concepts, others are ridiculously specific, and there are essays, simulations, and research.

Most tests for jobs or increases in qualifications are like that. The bar exam for lawyers. Tests to get into grad school. This test was nothing like any of that so be grateful. And think you are responsible for lives, and those people just sit in an office staring at a computer screen. From that standpoint the test should look pretty reasonable. Schoolcar is when the real "weeding out" process starts especially on Track Qualification day heh

That makes me feel a whole lot better now LOL. I was so nervous about this test. And the wait to take it was nerve wracking. I actually took my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh card and stuck it in my wallet for good luck. And the trip going out there I was thinking all like "at long last this is it! I'm gonna get to test for my dream job" it was something i guess now that i think about it was a bit dramatic. But at the same time I recognized it to be something I really wanted.

oh god, what is a yu gi oh card? and we all know how bad you want this job, its almost scary. Ciao!

Yur kidding right???:o I hope you are...lol Don't worry...you'll remember ALL the Holidays if you get the job because you'll be working them!:cry: I'm NOT here to bash anyone but this is INSANE...:P

Haha Nascar this is hilirous. Do you guys get double time for working holidays down under???

Also Labor Day was the correct answer right????

Hello all,

New member question: Given that the MTA Answer Key will only provide the correct *letter* (answer) for each question, and not the questions themselves, how are we to know which ones we want to argue? I can think of a few questions that were worded very tricky where I might have a case, but I have no idea what the question numbers were.

I'm sure by now someone answered this but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

If you decided to protest you would by now have sent in your request along with a SASE to DCAS. When you go to the protest you'll have your answer sheet with you. Inside they will have the entire exam for each session the test was givien. If you took the exam Saturday morning you'll locate the 6/6/09 AM Session where you'll have a chance to review all 80 questions AND answers. You then compare your answers with the answers DCAS has. If you disagree with any of the answers you can then protest each answer you disagree with.

I took the test at Franklun K Lane HS right in the Bklyn-Queens border line. I arrived about 1030 cause I didn't feel like standing and waiting. Wound up waiting inside anyway. I did very well on the test but I didn't get 100. My answers are below for the AM Sat session. Yeah I know it don't matter much but still it's fun to compare with other people. Afterall, it's all about competing.

Good luck to all :P

1 B 11 A 21 D 31 D 41 A 51 B 61 C 71 D

2 D 12 B 22 A 32 B 42 B 52 B 62 B 72 A

3 C 13 B 23 C 33 C 43 A 53 C 63 D 73 C

4 B 14 B 24 C 34 D 44 C 54 A 64 D 74 D

5 C 15 C 25 C 35 C 45 C 55 A 65 B 75 B

6 C 16 B 26 C 36 D 46 C 56 A 66 C 76 B

7 B 17 D 27 D 37 D 47 C 57 B 67 D 77 B

8 C 18 D 28 C 38 C 48 D 58 D 68 D 78 C

9 C 19 B 29 B 39 D 49 A 59 C 69 B 79 D

10D 20B 30 B 40 D 50 C 60 D 70 B 80 D

Urb, if you do get in be prepared for it to possibly end up being a nightmare. All that glitters down under in the subway is not gold. You also won't get weekends off when you get to pick for about 7 years. It will take a long while before you can pick a tour and line you want. The first year after training, you may end up hating the job. If you can practice patience, and get past the BS, then the job can be a dream job.

I'm sure by now someone answered this but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

If you decided to protest you would by now have sent in your request along with a SASE to DCAS. When you go to the protest you'll have your answer sheet with you. Inside they will have the entire exam for each session the test was givien. If you took the exam Saturday morning you'll locate the 6/6/09 AM Session where you'll have a chance to review all 80 questions AND answers. You then compare your answers with the answers DCAS has. If you disagree with any of the answers you can then protest each answer you disagree with.

I took the test at Franklun K Lane HS right in the Bklyn-Queens border line. I arrived about 1030 cause I didn't feel like standing and waiting. Wound up waiting inside anyway. I did very well on the test but I didn't get 100. My answers are below for the AM Sat session. Yeah I know it don't matter much but still it's fun to compare with other people. Afterall, it's all about competing.

Good luck to all :P

1 B 11 A 21 D 31 D 41 A 51 B 61 C 71 D

2 D 12 B 22 A 32 B (A) 42 B 52 B© 62 B 72 A

3 C 13 B 23 C 33 C 43 A 53 C (:o 63 D 73 C

4 B 14 B 24 C 34 D 44 C 54 A 64 D 74 D

5 C 15 C 25 C 35 C (A) 45 C 55 A 65 B 75 B©

6 C 16 B 26 C 36 D 46 C 56 A 66 C 76 B

7 B 17 D 27 D 37 D 47 C 57 B 67 D 77 B

8 C 18 D 28 C 38 C 48 D 58 D 68 D 78 C

9 C 19 B 29 B 39 D 49 A 59 C 69 B 79 D

10D 20B (C) 30 B 40 D 50 C 60 D 70 B 80 D

I put my answers in that are different than yours above.

Urb, if you do get in be prepared for it to possibly end up being a nightmare. All that glitters down under in the subway is not gold. You also won't get weekends off when you get to pick for about 7 years. It will take a long while before you can pick a tour and line you want. The first year after training, you may end up hating the job. If you can practice patience, and get past the BS, then the job can be a dream job.

I understand. I don't plan on getting in there thinking this will all be easy or fun most of the time.

You also won't get weekends off when you get to pick for about 7 years.

hahahahah 7 years for the weekends off. More like 17 years on the am tour, 10 on the pm's, and 14 on the midnights. This for saturday and sunday as your days off, and these are minimum amount of years.

With 7 years in the B division you might not be able to pick any other days off but tuesday and wednesday or wednesday and thursday on the am tour.

Archived