Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not alot but a few of the questions were written improperly/convoluted to a point where it wasnt a proper question. Also I thought it wasnt right that they expected people to know where certain landmarks were or which holidays took place on which months as other people have mentioned , IE: where is hunter college, where is the meuseam of natural history, the questions with Labor day and veterens day.. It shouldnt be on the test because it shouldnt be held against people who dont know where certain places are or when certain holidays fall as it has nothing to do with comprehension of the paragraphs. So there will be a few legitimate protests.

Besides.. Life isn't fair, it never was..

Test takers are not employees, knowing stuff like NYC major points of interest should be part of training. Not everyone taking the test is from New York.

well the position of train operator does NOT require New York City residency. so any mention of "New Yorkers" only applies to most of us, not all. i almost shit in my pants when i didnt see Ellis Island as one of the choices. but good thing it wasnt cuz i would have picked it! and if my father didnt attend Hunter College, and i didnt have my high school graduation there, i might have gotten that wrong too...as a life long New Yorker

Now if we were required to have studied material from an MTA manual or something prior to taking the test (the way it *should* have been, IMO), then my position would be very different. However, we were not asked to read, learn and/or memorize anything prior to taking the test. The test makers probably caved-in to certain groups who complained the other form of test was 'unfair' and so since dumbed these tests down (assuming they used the other, more difficult form of test in the past).

All the landmarks except for Liberty Island are on the Subway map: Museum of Natural History (81 St CPW) Hunter College (68 St) Metro Museum Of Art (5th Av) JFK Airport (South Jamiaca Queens close to the (A) Rockaway line) and Citi Field (built right next to Shea Staduim at Willets Pt Flushing). Statue of Liberty location was given in the answer: Liberty Island. If you are a member of this website which is all about transportation and NYC Metro transportation in particular and you want to become a civil servant of the NYCTA, this site should've been devoured to gleen every bit of info you can. You got T/Os, C/Rs, B/Os, mechanics, token clerks & RCIs who are members. There are links to old maps, new maps, bus routes, previous test info from people who took these tests etc. If you don't see what you want...look. If you don't know where...ask. There's a wealth of info here for EVERYONE but a few people are so lazy they prolly would've hired someone to take the test FOR them if they could.

If I've offended anyone...EFF em! This test was easy overall. Anyone with common sense, patience and really INTERESTED in the job and not just looking for decent bennys and a good paycheck will get at least a 92 IMO and a 92 might not be a good enough score to be called becaise so many people took this exam. The rest will have 5 years to gear up for the next one.

Peace

People are giving too much importance to the exam score rather than list number. Your list number is what really matters at the end of the day.

Your list # is determined by how well you did on the test among other things. The exam score is pretty damn important IMO

yeah but your score (and when you submitted your application) basically determines your list number for the open competitive, unless you get credits. i think it's be safe to say if you don't get over a 92 you won't get called given the amount of people who took the exam. i mean, i got a 94.something on the conductors exam a few years back and i just got "called" close to 5 years later......... even though i still haven't heard from them after i took the initial drug test in october... looks like i won't ever be "called" given that the list expires in august anyway. :mad:

Your list # is determined by how well you did on the test among other things. The exam score is pretty damn important IMO

You list number is based on the day your application was received and your test score. List number > exam score. You can have a good exam score but still end in the bottom of the group.

You list number is based on the day your application was received and your test score. List number > exam score. You can have a good exam score but still end in the bottom of the group.

I did say among other things. You can be the first one to sign up but if you get a 75 you can hang it up. However, if you get a 98 you stand a much better chance no matter when you signed up. So give equal weight to when and what because you pretty much have a say in both.

WHEN: Weeks before March 4th enough people on this board pretty much confirmed that it would be a very good thing to submit the application at the earliest possible day. That's more or less in the individual's control.

WHAT: What your score is was determined by your own smarts and how good you were at getting info and doing some research prior to taking the test. Finally, reading is the most important part of any test because in order to understand the test you must know how to read and comprehend what the questions are. Again this aspect is in the control of each individual.

yeah but your score (and when you submitted your application) basically determines your list number for the open competitive, unless you get credits. i think it's be safe to say if you don't get over a 92 you won't get called given the amount of people who took the exam. i mean, i got a 94.something on the conductors exam a few years back and i just got "called" close to 5 years later......... even though i still haven't heard from them after i took the initial drug test in october... looks like i won't ever be "called" given that the list expires in august anyway. :mad:

Have you called Transit or gone down to Livingston Street? When I didn't hear from the MTA for a few months after I took the drug screen (for the T/O test prior to this one) I called Transit and kept calling until I got some info. I finally was sent a letter saying I wasn't accepted. I sent an appeal to Hummerdinger and the MTA president. I still didn't get the job but I fought to get a response.

8 months is waaay too long. Don't wait for them to get back to you. Hound them down at Livingston until you get a satisfactory answer!

Good Luck :P

There will be hundreds of people with identical scores so Julio is correct it's your list number that is important NOT your score. Your score will give a basic idea of your chances of getting called though. IMO the cut off will be 94-95%.

I took the drug screen (for the T/O test prior to this one) I called Transit and kept calling until I got some info. I finally was sent a letter saying I wasn't accepted.

So you failed the drug test? The drug test is the last step once you get that far your are usually hired unless you fail.

:eek: Looks like one of us is gonna be happier than the other in a few weeks :o

Good luck :tup:

Sorry to say for you, it's going to be me. I've taken a few of these tests, and worked as a conductor for a year. I used to read all the rules like an obsessive lawyer trying to find loopholes to the rules to see what I can get away with. I also when over the test twice. I did that with the conductor test and got all of the answers right. I think I got them all right on the T/O test as well, abd two question I was a little apprehensive avout, so the worst I did was 1 or 2 wrong, but I won't be challenging anything. I got right what I got right and I got wrong what I got wrong.

Popsicle girl, you took the C/r test back in February 2004 right? Damn, I took that test and got a 98.571 with 2 answers wrong. I was 310 on the list and got called up December 2005 and started working January 2007. I didn't think they were still contacting people from that testalthough I do remember it being initiated in August of 2005, so this August makes sense for it to expire. If they haven't called you since the drug test, you should call in to find out what is going on.

Popsicle girl, you took the C/r test back in February 2004 right? Damn, I took that test and got a 98.571 with 2 answers wrong. I was 310 on the list and got called up December 2005 and started working January 2007. I didn't think they were still contacting people from that testalthough I do remember it being initiated in August of 2005, so this August makes sense for it to expire. If they haven't called you since the drug test, you should call in to find out what is going on.

you probably went to school car with my sister then, cause she was in the 300's as well off that test. i called dcas and the list number of the last appointed hasn't changed since october, when i was called. when i called the mta they said there hasn't been a class out and the next classes will be small so i'm going to call back in july and see what's going on. i didn't take the conductor's exam in december, even though i paid for it, because i thought i got the job. i got the letter to go for the drug test a couple of weeks after i paid for the december exam - coincidence? i think not. :tdown:

I'm sure by now someone answered this but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Thanks! Yes, the question was answered. But it's still useful info for others who didn't catch it earlier in the thread. And thanks for listing your answers. I'm particularly worried about numbers 36, 37, and 61, because no one who provided their answers for the AM session selected the same answers as mine for these three. I wish I could remember what the questions were, or at least what they dealt with. Anyone have any idea? If not, those of us who sent in the request to attend form on time (Saturday, June 13, was the deadline) will find out in 3 weeks from now (July 8th).

It probably would have been of interest to anyone to attend the protest, even if they didn't plan on protesting anything, because they'd have gotten their one and only chance to revisit the test questions and check their answers. I'm sure everyone must be curious which questions they got wrong.

Here were my answers for 36, 37, 61...

36) b

37) a

61) b

In regards to the following info from the TO exam notice, if an employee's normal 40-hour/week work schedule includes nights and/or weekends, do they get paid higher hourly rates for these periods? If so, how much higher? Not talking OT, but nights and weekends within their normal shifts.

"THE SALARY: The current minimum salary is $26.99 per hour. This rate is subject to change. In addition, you receive night and weekend differentials, paid holidays, vacations and sick leave, a comprehensive health plan and a pension plan."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf

In regards to the following info from the TO exam notice, if an employee's normal 40-hour/week work schedule includes nights and/or weekends, do they get paid higher hourly rates for these periods? If so, how much higher? Not talking OT, but nights and weekends within their normal shifts.

"THE SALARY: The current minimum salary is $26.99 per hour. This rate is subject to change. In addition, you receive night and weekend differentials, paid holidays, vacations and sick leave, a comprehensive health plan and a pension plan."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf

I used to get about a dollar extra an hour for night and weekend differencial as a conductor. I was making then about $16.00 per hour. I would assume at $26.99 an hour it's probably higher than $1.00 an hour extra. You get time and a half for overtime, but when you do it, you have to fill out an ot form. If you don't, you don't get the money. Another way MTA is going the wrong way trying to rip off their employees.

you probably went to school car with my sister then, cause she was in the 300's as well off that test. i called dcas and the list number of the last appointed hasn't changed since october, when i was called. when i called the mta they said there hasn't been a class out and the next classes will be small so i'm going to call back in july and see what's going on. i didn't take the conductor's exam in december, even though i paid for it, because i thought i got the job. i got the letter to go for the drug test a couple of weeks after i paid for the december exam - coincidence? i think not. :tdown:

Who was your sister? Please don't tell me it was (removed). From school car I remember a very pale (again), that has a sister. A bunch of other people, if I hear their names, I would remember them because school car was mostly men.

Anyway, that's messed up that they screwed you over with the test. They probably did do it on purpose so they could stop hiring off the list and not let you get on the new list since by law they have to use the list the entire 4 years it is eligible. Trust me, any weird "coincidence" by the MTA is no coincidence. There are some really bad people down there, especially in the crew office. I went through some racism from the crew office that led to me eventually losing the job. I can go on for hours the bad things the MTA can do to you. George Pataki really made a mess of it, and I doubt it will ever recover.

Serious??From what I've been reading and hearing outside the forum is the test was pretty easy!I think some people just took it to get the day off or 1 trippers on the PM's...:o If it was anything like the one I took in 2003 then they're giving jobs away...

We took the same test that was easy I got a 100% on it in 2003 thats why I am in a great spot now. Every time I pick I am thankful I'm in a positions thats not great but could be alot worst.

If list number goes by when I filed the application I may be screwed as I filed the application online on March 25th 2009 as that was the day I found out they were accepting applications for this position. Thats about 21 days after it was announced. I hope I wont have too bad a list number especially since they extended the application date to April 7th. I know I got a high score on the test so well see what happens when they certify the list.

If list number goes by when I filed the application I may be screwed as I filed the application online on March 25th 2009 as that was the day I found out they were accepting applications for this position. Thats about 21 days after it was announced. I hope I wont have too bad a list number especially since they extended the application date to April 7th. I know I got a high score on the test so well see what happens when they certify the list.

I filed about 4 or 5 hours after the link came out on the website, so if I got a 100 I should be in good shape. Maybe even in the first class if there aren't too many veterans getting 100 and with the veteran's credit.

I filed about 4 or 5 hours after the link came out on the website, so if I got a 100 I should be in good shape. Maybe even in the first class if there aren't too many veterans getting 100 and with the veteran's credit.

I did mine's 10-15 minutes after 12am.

I used to get about a dollar extra an hour for night and weekend differential as a conductor. I was making then about $16.00 per hour. I would assume at $26.99 an hour it's probably higher than $1.00 an hour extra. You get time and a half for overtime

Complaints aside, this job really pays incredibly well. I mean, for those of us who are lucky enough to get in several years from now, or whenever it will be, we'll almost certainly have-to be working nights and weekends, and so will be grossing something like $1,100 a week, NOT including any OT. Plus the salary may go up by that time. OT (time and a half) will be 27 x 1.5 = 40/hour. Not too shabby for a relatively easy job.

Archived