Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

Yes, after the first year, you are usually off probation, which means that you're protected by the union so then your job is secure.

As far as leaving your job, they recommend that you take some vacation time, if it's available. Otherwise, like in my case, I am a seasonal employee on a farm** from Easter to Thanksgiving, so when I went to training during February of 2014 and failed, it wasn't a big deal for me.

**In case you are wondering, my employer is Green Meadows Farm (http://greenmeadowsfarmny.com/). We are located right next door to the Queens County Farm Museum (http://queensfarm.org/).

mind me asking how did you fail and by the way i dont work to far from the farm ..its on littleneck? i work at northshore lij

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today (May 29) makes 5 months. It's been an experience. I'm a former Greyhound driver so I was familiar with operating a bus, which has worked in my favor. There were 24 of us that were assigned to my depot (7 initially for line training and then the other 17 were drafted after graduation because the depot was so short of manpower.) Several operators have had minor collisions already. 3 were terminated, just in the last two weeks. One had too many customer complaints and another was habitually late and had an altercation with a dispatcher. The third ran 2 or 3 red lights (this is all second/thirdhand info, unofficial).

Passengers and NYC traffic are the greatest sources of frustration. I have to remind myself that this is the employment position I wanted and worked so hard to achieve. I've come to realize that this job is primarily a customer service position: It's all about managing your frustration with traffic, delays, and passenger behavior while remembering that your responsibility is to provide patient and courteous service. I'm reminding myself to smile and put myself in the mindset of serving our passengers. It is helping with much of the frustration. I don't want to dread coming to work. It's way too soon for that. So I'm going to keep smiling.

What depot your in?

totally agree about the RTS training. I'm so glad I passed on day 9 and not 7 because of this. Brutal sitting on the RTS killing time. 

As far as being paired with drivers with less time on I can agree. But at the same time line training with a senior driver  is when you will get your fattest checks for the first 1-2 years.

I think being short buses happens at most depots, happens at mine. I don't mind - why should you? You blow trips - get put into a place. You can't beat that. You are getting paid regardless.One time It took so long to get a bus in the morning that I blew my first half. Went back in the depot and chilled. Less time on the road is a bonus for all. 

As far as the dirty buses go. If it a bothers you that much knock the bus. Write it up and tell them you are not taking it out. We are required to get a clean and safe bus. 

I have never seen a driver use the drivers compartment lol. I put my stuff behind my seat. I use it during line training bc I had no other place to put my belongings, but that was it. 

There are only so many lifts and mechanics to take care of the buses. They definitely do there best to put buses out on time and at or near 100% rate because management gets bonuses based on how they do. 

for me - I hope they don't have a bus for me. 

for you and tprashad I would definitely not wait. All the time you are missing right now could be going towards retirement - might not be a big deal but when you have 23 yrs on and need 2 more yrs , u will look back like damn I would have 25 right now. 

B/O is better then T/O for what it is worth. Talked to many T/O theyall say the same thing. T/o get it the worse, B/O get it 2nd worse lol

When I wrote "driver's compartment" I should have clarified it as the driver cab. I'm not speaking of the storage area but the entire area where the operator around the operator seat. It's usually filthy. And I would be given a death stare if I dared refuse a bus because the driver cab was dirty.

As for delighting in getting redlined and having to kill time in the Depot instead of on the road driving, that's just not my thing. I'd always prefer to be on the road, time passes much quicker that way. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Thirtydaes, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! :) Helps me prepare a little bit with what to expect (I'm hopefully on the next list).

I agree that having 30 B/O's delayed is not good, especially from a commuter perspective, From a potential B/O perspective I'd rather not deal with a bus load of understandably frustrated commuters (which at the moment could be myself - but I wouldn't at all take it out on a B/O). As for dealing with people (passengers), I am thankful for having "thick skin" and I keep my cool and will operate safely.

I too rather be on the road too, then not doing anything. 

mind me asking how did you fail and by the way i dont work to far from the farm ..its on littleneck? i work at northshore lij

Yes, the farm is on Little Neck Parkway. As far as how I failed - if you look back at the 500+ pages, I posted this at least twice.

...I too rather be on the road too, then not doing anything. 

I understand where you are coming from, but if you bring something small to work to keep you occupied - like a good book to read, then, in my opinion, it does not make a difference, as long as you find a quiet spot in the depot...

I'd rather not reveal the depot explicitly here to protect privacy. But I've probably offered enough context clues for an educated guess to be accurate.

I think I know what depot you talking about. Is it a queens depot cuz I'm in queens too. & they always say on the radio for divers to pull they bus in and not swing with they bus.

thirtydaes I came from Greyhound also and i would say this is far better than Greyhound. You raised some good points but dont be over concern about the lack of buses because theres nothing you can do about that. You are on probabtion as they say the least time on the road the better. I guess your depot is not that perfect but my suggestion to you is to focus on what you can control which is make sure you report to work early and try to be safe as possible while on the road. When system pick comes around you can pick into another depot if there is space. I would take a guess that your depot is in the Bronx because we had people that was sent to the bronx from our depot after they graudated, this was earlier this year.Just take it nice and slow and try to learn the system and to workings of your depot. You will get AVA's and you can put time into OTO's which you can use for days off that you can take with being paid for it and use it for whatever time you need off the bus. There's a lot of super good benifits to having this job. Take time and lock it in and you will be good. Dont fuss and fustrate yourself with what you cant control. Remember early to work and take it nice and slow on the road and you will be good. Good luck with everything and stay cool.

so basically when your in training for 10 days..and you pass within the 7th day your good? then your asigned to a depot to get more training and need to pass the dmv road test..once you pass the DMV road test you need to pass 1 year probation to be safe from being let go ? do you get a depot of your choice?

so basically when your in training for 10 days..and you pass within the 7th day your good? then your asigned to a depot to get more training and need to pass the dmv road test..once you pass the DMV road test you need to pass 1 year probation to be safe from being let go ? do you get a depot of your choice?

if you pass on day 7 then u get training on the old RTS buses with all the other day 7 ppl that passed. U sit on the bus with all of them for the next 3 days while u wait to pick up others that may pass on day 9 or 10. Eventually the bus gets nice and full, u meet a lot of people and just bullshit the whole time, very boring though. 

After the 10 days is up, all that passed go to Zerega for some paperwork and then the moment arrives of what depots are available to pick into, sometimes there are a bunch sometime there are only like 2-3 ( like when I had to pick ) You pick your depot based on seniority, lets say list numbers 2400-2600 passed in your group - 2400 picks first. More than likely some people with crazy low #s will be in your group because they reinstated. When you pick your depot u report there for line training and u drive with a senior operator and learn the lines of that depot. they will let you know  within 2 weeks your dmv road test date at that time u will report back to Zerega - if you go to a depot with articulated buses a superintendent will come eventually and take u out to get certified with those buses ( same goes if the depot you go to has express buses) & yes you have 1 yr probation , no calling out sick unless a real deal emergency and do not get caught by speed cams or red light cams, they will extend your probation 6 months. The year flies by, I'm already at a year and half on and I feel like I was line training last month. 

You are never safe at this job, there are too many things around you that are not under your control. ( people, cars, trucks, busses, idiots the list goes on and on )

Ones you  will feel safe, that is the time you will f up

if you pass on day 7 then u get training on the old RTS buses with all the other day 7 ppl that passed. U sit on the bus with all of them for the next 3 days while u wait to pick up others that may pass on day 9 or 10. Eventually the bus gets nice and full, u meet a lot of people and just bullshit the whole time, very boring though. 

After the 10 days is up, all that passed go to Zerega for some paperwork and then the moment arrives of what depots are available to pick into, sometimes there are a bunch sometime there are only like 2-3 ( like when I had to pick ) You pick your depot based on seniority, lets say list numbers 2400-2600 passed in your group - 2400 picks first. More than likely some people with crazy low #s will be in your group because they reinstated. When you pick your depot u report there for line training and u drive with a senior operator and learn the lines of that depot. they will let you know  within 2 weeks your dmv road test date at that time u will report back to Zerega - if you go to a depot with articulated buses a superintendent will come eventually and take u out to get certified with those buses ( same goes if the depot you go to has express buses) & yes you have 1 yr probation , no calling out sick unless a real deal emergency and do not get caught by speed cams or red light cams, they will extend your probation 6 months. The year flies by, I'm already at a year and half on and I feel like I was line training last month.

Nycpips how's the overtime? Do you get offered overtime all the time?

Nycpips how's the overtime? Do you get offered overtime all the time?

there is overtime available. They will come over the radio and ask if anyone is interested in some overtime or when you are about to leave for the day you can check with the crew to see if there is any available. You can also put your name in to work your days off if you want too. 

Your 1st yr MTA and even your union tells you to not to do overtime. I didn't do any over time during my probation. I think I did one extra trip during my 1st year and it was at like 1 in the morning on a quiet route. Your 1st yr you don't want to be on the road anymore then you have to be. 

I still haven't worked any of my days off, I like them too much lol . But when I report for the day I'll sign my name on a sheet for OT if it becomes available at the end of my tour, but mostly I jump on the OT they announce over the radio. 

They just changed OT rules, You can't work more than 3 straight regular days off, there are guys who are OT addicts and would work like a month straight, they had to put an end to that. 

very great info guys, if i dont hear anything back from T/O in sept..i will reinstate my name for B/O..i will renew my permit in july..question guys..when you renew your permit can this be done online?

check DMV site.

By waiting to reinstate you went from top pay in 3 years to now its top pay in 5 years. 

Costly delay. 

my list number is #159x..i was called in last year and i went all the way by taking the drug test..i rcvd a call from i believe a Mrs chestnut and was told i have to reinstate my name after august due to a DUI i had in aug 2010..this was after i handed in my disposition from court

there is overtime available. They will come over the radio and ask if anyone is interested in some overtime or when you are about to leave for the day you can check with the crew to see if there is any available. You can also put your name in to work your days off if you want too.

Your 1st yr MTA and even your union tells you to not to do overtime. I didn't do any over time during my probation. I think I did one extra trip during my 1st year and it was at like 1 in the morning on a quiet route. Your 1st yr you don't want to be on the road anymore then you have to be.

I still haven't worked any of my days off, I like them too much lol . But when I report for the day I'll sign my name on a sheet for OT if it becomes available at the end of my tour, but mostly I jump on the OT they announce over the radio.

They just changed OT rules, You can't work more than 3 straight regular days off, there are guys who are OT addicts and would work like a month straight, they had to put an end to that.

How easy is it to do the "on your day off overtime"?? Is it as simple as just sighning up and theyll let you work that day or is it one of those things where yull be able to do it most of the time but not always. Thanks in advance

How easy is it to do the "on your day off overtime"?? Is it as simple as just sighning up and theyll let you work that day or is it one of those things where yull be able to do it most of the time but not always. Thanks in advance

all depends what they have available. Also a lot of people put down they don't want express, or they don't want the hawk ( overnight shift) or get off by a  certain time. 

but being that they are hiring so much I'm assuming OT will become less available eventually, just a guess. Way more people are being hired then are retiring/promoted. Rumors going around that the 8 hour rule will be pushed to 10 hrs or even 12. 

Archived