R32 Retirement

lilbluefoxie

this has been dicussed a lot of times. The first set of R32s to be dropped are off Jamaica of course, once the R160s fill in and when the R40M/R42s are gone. Then the R32s out of 207 will be replaced by R46s from Jamaica or maybe R160A-2s. Should be gone by early/mid 2010. Of course i'm not in a rush for this maybe u and a few, but I love the R32s and hope for em to stick a while long =)!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Some R42s may outlive the 32s but like only 3 sets...

The ones at East New York (!) may outlive the R32s, but they're not going anywhere until 2010 around mid-year. I really hope they can stay until 2011, though!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Maybe not, as the talk has been replacing those (at ENY) with 32's also!

this has been dicussed a lot of times. The first set of R32s to be dropped are off Jamaica of course, once the R160s fill in and when the R40M/R42s are gone. Then the R32s out of 207 will be replaced by R46s from Jamaica or maybe R160A-2s. Should be gone by early/mid 2010. Of course i'm not in a rush for this maybe u and a few, but I love the R32s and hope for em to stick a while long =)!

R160s will not go to the A or C, unless specific corroborated sources tell us so. From my field of vision, the option orders will go to ENY and JAM. There is a greater incentive (again, from my field of vision) to put them at JAM, due to CBTC.

Now on the subject of R32 retirements:

Right now, it is probably expected that the remaining R40s will retire first, followed by the JAM R42s. Then the JAM R32s will be dropped off and then the 207 Street Yard R32s following them. The ENY R42s, depending on the status of the R160A-1 Option Order, will probably be the last to go. But this information is subject to change. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

I agree with Eric B, I did hear some talk from real TA workers that they will be sent to the east for (J)/(Z) service, And the R42's will not outlast the R32's, Also I think that the Last R32 to be in service will be around the same time frame as the R40 slants retired, I would say around June 2010 they would be gone BUT WE WILL WAIT AND SEE, there are 6 R32's saved so far 2 Museum (3352/53),2 Railway Presvation Corp (3350/51) and school Car (3742/43) located at Pitkin yard. 3350/51 are at 207th st, Also I got an E-Mail 4572/73 are retierd, I rode them on their last day on the (E).

I'll say it again, THERE IS NO CHANCE IN HELL that the 32's would be gone before the 42's.

Actually, there is a chance that the R42s might be last 60FT SMEEs to run in revenue service. IIRC ENY will get their 32 R160s last after all the 5 car set R160s come in to the other yards.

Actually, there is a chance that the R42s might be last 60FT SMEEs to run in revenue service. IIRC ENY will get their 32 R160s last after all the 5 car set R160s come in to the other yards.

We will wait and see, But there is still talk about R32's going to replace the R42's until those R32's reach their time, I don't think R42's could last another 3-4 months, The R42's break down to much but the ones at ENY have been there most of their life and It would be a little odd to see R32's on the (J)/ for the 1st time the (Z) but you never know, They might need those R32's for spare service for the (Z) train for Rush Hours, That's why there are talking about sending the R32's to ENY, Let me break it down in steps:

1: The Marker Boards and the CCTV are very old where the R42 C/R board are located and the CCTV's are not in good shape where the R42 board is at plus those CCTV's were instaled in early 1988, The R160 CCTV's are newer and they were installed in 2008.

2: The R32's would use the R160 boards 4+4 (it would be easier for the crew so this way they won't have to swich to the 3rd car of an R42)

3: The R42's are in very bad shape But they run good (ENY) at Jamaica its a Living Hell

4: The R32's are still in good shape and their floors are in good shape, The R42's on ther other hand have wooden floors sanwiched between the carbon steel and wooden floors can't last very long, But the R42's floors are not bad.

I think This is the main reason Why they are talking about this, But We Will wait and see, I think If Happens, It would take place in the Mid Fall early winter time.

I am usually not one to engage in speculation based on flimsy evidence, but I have seen that many trains of R42s with bad roof problems seem to have been segregated out from the R42s with fixed rooves and R40Ms. Perhaps the R42s are now being focused on for retirement?

I use the word focus, because ALL THREE SMEE fleets out of Jamaica are being retired at the moment, but most of the cars being retired do seem to be mainly R42s.

R32 and R42s BOTH have plymetal subflooring. This consists of wood sandwiched between sheets of stainless steel. The ENTIRE FLEET has such flooring and the entire current fleet has ALWAYS had such flooring.

(The R15/R16 were the first types to feature this, as is true with so many current features of the NYCT fleet.)

Both the R32 and R42 floors were replaced in the early 2000s. The R40M floors date from overhaul in 1988-9

CCTV was not close to as widespread in the subway in 1988 as it is today. I highly doubt that much of the equipment at R42 CR positions is that old.

It would make sense for the R32's to run on the (J)(Z) before retirement. Those R42's need to go, and the R32's are clearly in better condition. I don't think there is an argument about that. Even if you don't like the R32's, you must admit they are in the best condition out of all 60' SMEE's.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Maybe not, as the talk has been replacing those (at ENY) with 32's also!

What?! I will protest if R32s end up in ENY. They do not know how to take care of their cars. The R42s are still in good shape but when it comes to aesthetics they're horrible. The R160s are soon going to suffer from the same fate. The R32s do not deserve to go out by being placed in ENY.

But like what everyone else says, let's wait and see. And call or email NY1 next time so the can cover the R32s retirement. They really should have covered the Slants' retirement, but unfortunately its too late for that.

We all most wait and see before jumping to conclusions. It is indeed possible that the R32s will go and replace the R42s there. And the reasons are obvious: The R42s are in poor condition and the R32s have a sounder structure (primarily because of the steel used in production) If the R32s do go to ENY, the supposed ENY R32s will probably be the last R32s to retire.

The concept does make sense, but again, we have to wait and see.

People speculated the (V) wouldnt run SMEEs and there they are. So everybody just needs to take a chill pill and play the waiting game instead of cutting at each others throats. So what if the R32s end up on (insert random line here). Is it gonna change your commute? You gonna ride a different line just cuz they show up there? Does it matter which fleet gets retired first? Everything gets replaced by something else. You either whine about it or go out on a dozen fan trips where its exciting for a week and then move on.

I normally don't say anything in context to this but the reality of it is you are all SPECULATING about the future which is never written in stone to begin with. Some actually arguing to the point of making personal attacks against (random user here): which is violation of forum rules to begin with. If you can't discuss these topics maturely then you're wasting your time and words.

People speculated the (V) wouldnt run SMEEs and there they are. So everybody just needs to take a chill pill and play the waiting game instead of cutting at each others throats. So what if the R32s end up on (insert random line here). Is it gonna change your commute? You gonna ride a different line just cuz they show up there? Does it matter which fleet gets retired first? Everything gets replaced by something else. You either whine about it or go out on a dozen fan trips where its exciting for a week and then move on.

I normally don't say anything in context to this but the reality of it is you are all SPECULATING about the future which is never written in stone to begin with. Some actually arguing to the point of making personal attacks against (random user here): which is violation of forum rules to begin with. If you can't discuss these topics maturely then you're wasting your time and words.

Oh my God, thank you! (Clicks on imaginary thanks button)

Actually, there is a member here who said he avoid a certain line because he hates a car type.

Amen Brother!

Amen Brother!

And don't forget that R46s are SMEEs as well — they just aren't 60-foot SMEEs, so only time would tell when the (V) would get the 60-footers, and what do you know? They have them now. Now only time will tell when R46s go back after the 60-footers are retired.

But like what everyone else says, let's wait and see. And call or email NY1 next time so the can cover the R32s retirement. They really should have covered the Slants' retirement, but unfortunately its too late for that.

I highly doubt the people over at NY1 know what an R32 is let alone that they're being retired.

I highly doubt the people over at NY1 know what an R32 is let alone that they're being retired.

Moreover, even if they know what an R32 after "so much descriptions by railfans", the general public won't really know what they are reporting about.

The media might report on the scrapping/reefing process. The Chinese paper, a few months earlier, talked about the new cars replacing the older models, with a picture of the barge and a bunch of R38s.

Archived