History & Evolution of the Subway Map

Harry

Which style of subway map do you like the most?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of subway map do you like the most?

• 1920's to 1940's
    • 1950's to 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • Present

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best thing about the 1979 maps and onwards was the design. I wish they were kept like that in today's maps.

Also, when was the last time the Bx55 went to Yankee Stadium? I'm sure it was before the 90s based on the maps.

The last map I have that has it going there is 1988, my 1990 map shows it no longer goes to Yankees Stadium

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who posted their maps here. It was great seeing some of those strip maps from the 80s. I really think the (MTA) should bring those back. They were very helpful, a little more so than the geographical maps. That's because they showed 24-hour service, while the geographical maps only show 18-hour service and tell you to consult the service guide for service between midnight and 6 AM.

A solution to that is to do something like the Kick design:

1_midmanhattan_comparison.jpg

and then come up with patterns (such as hollow lines, lighter shades, etc) to represent the different times of operation.

(You can see they've already made each line on a trunk slightly different shades).

That would be the geographic map and strip map in one graphic.

Here are some strip maps for the strip map fans. These files are pretty big so I apologize now if this post cripples your machine. :cool:

1980_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1987_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1988_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

DEC 1988

1988_NYCTA_Dec_1988_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1989_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1992_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

I was looking at the 1988 subway maps when I noticed something interesting,It showed (:(,(F),and (Q6) service going to 21st street.Did the MTA print the service changes in advance?

I was looking at the 1988 subway maps when I noticed something interesting,It showed (;),(F),and (Q6) service going to 21st street.Did the MTA print the service changes in advance?

Before 21 Qnsbrge was connected to the Qns Blvd Line it served as a terminal for those lines at various times. I remember this was discussed on a thread on another board not long ago about the (F)'s which ran there. They ran as (F)s for part of the route and became (Q6)s at either Bway/Laff or 47-50 Sts to differentiate that they were going to 63 St as opposed to the (F)'s usual 53 St Tube (at that time). I couldn't find the thread so correct me if that's wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Here are some strip maps for the strip map fans. These files are pretty big so I apologize now if this post cripples your machine. :cool:

1980_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1987_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1988_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

DEC 1988

1988_NYCTA_Dec_1988_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1989_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

1992_NYCTA_Subway_Strip_Map.jpg

All these strip maps I wanted to see, especially the 1987 version. with the (:)(D) via the bway ((N)(Q)(R)) line. & the <R> line running, & I knew before that the (M) ran express till 1994.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest MTA Bus

I like the maps from the early 2000s. Those maps were my childhood. I used to love reading them when I was younger.

I had printed the latest version of the map in 2004 and put it as poster in my bedroom. It was for the 100th anniversary of the subway.

So I am quite nostalgic about this one, it stayed several years in my room.

Archived