Grade your home NYCT bus line

EE Broadway Local

I agree that the drivers with the new NG's are mostly crazy. A few days ago I almost got hit by an NG speeding by a red light on University Ave on the Bx3.The Bx18 is never on time.Last week an NG that was suppose to pass at 5:10 PM at Jerome Ave arrived at 5:00 and the following bus came at 5:35 PM instead of 5:25 PM .Yesterday the NG that was suppose to arrive at 5:10 PM arrived at 5:20 PM.I used to ride the Bx35 but since nobody wants to take 2 steps up the bus operator does not let passengers in or lets the passengers get uncomfortable in front of the white line.It takes me 20 minutes to ride a bus from River Ave to the last stop in the Bronx.:mad:

The Bx36 LCL deserves a big F. It's too crowded, makes WAY too many stops, and is horribly reliable.

The Bx36 LTD deserves a D for the following reasons. Its somewhat unreliable at times. 3 Local buses will show up and the LTD will show up whenever it wants to. The MTA implemented the 36 LTD for a reason, and I say that more LTDs are needed than the Local buses during rush hours.

MY HOME ROUTES...

B67= B+. Very reliable bus.

B68=B. Awesome rides to coney island , but takes too long to get there. The route should be mixed with ulmer park depot buses so it can run Suburban seated NovaBus RTS's!

B69=F! There's a lot of bad stuff to say about this bus. IT'S TOOOO DARN SLOW , IT HAS VERY LAZY DRIVERS , IT'S JUST VERY UNRELIABLE!!!!

B71=C-. The route is okay , but the crazy hobo with the beat up shopping cart needs to stop bugging a dude for cash!

B75=D. Reliable service. friendly drivers. BUT WAYYYYYYYYY TOO SLOW!!!

Now for the other routes that I like and DON'T live by...

B38=B+. It's the route near my school and it has such reliable service. Especially the addition of the B38 LIMITED. My favorite portion of this route is the downtown brooklyn portion. The rigewood part of the route seems cruddy.

B48=D. It's a very slow route the you can view directly from my school yard. It's almost like the B69 , except for.... you get the idea B). I have a feeling that the introduction of the Orion VII Next Generation hybrid bus will redeem this route out of it's dark reputation.

B54=?. Never seen it up close or taken it. My friend keeps talking about it though.

I would like to grade some other routes that I know about.Bx12 select would recive an F because of the lack of some of the operators driving skills. Buses are not very frequent on Sundays and are always full. Everytime I ride the route, nobody is there to check the tickets. I don't know how select bus service will survive on the (M)(1)(5) & the (B)(4)(4). I would like to add that the machines for the select bus service are not always working. This was one of the main reasons why last June's fare hike happened:cry: The Bx1/Bx2 routes should stop running 40 footers. Last Monday I saw Orion V 6254 on the Bx1 followed by Orion VII NG 4342 on the Bx2.

MY HOME ROUTES...

B67= B+. Very reliable bus.

B68=B. Awesome rides to coney island , but takes too long to get there. The route should be mixed with ulmer park depot buses so it can run Suburban seated NovaBus RTS's!

B69=F! There's a lot of bad stuff to say about this bus. IT'S TOOOO DARN SLOW , IT HAS VERY LAZY DRIVERS , IT'S JUST VERY UNRELIABLE!!!!

B71=C-. The route is okay , but the crazy hobo with the beat up shopping cart needs to stop bugging a dude for cash!

B75=D. Reliable service. friendly drivers. BUT WAYYYYYYYYY TOO SLOW!!!

the last three you list there are up there w/ the worst of the gleason routes when it comes to service... I won't beat a dead horse w/ how I feel about the b69, but basically we are in agreeance..... but I will say that it's not that the drivers are lazy - they don't control the poor scheduling & headways the route has...

moving on, the problem w/ the b75 is the lack of service... and when it does come, buses do crawl, you're absolutely right... but I wouldn't "grade" the 71 higher than the 75, as that route (b71) I feel like sometimes, is just neglected... I've even heard ppl. that live in the vicinity of the route (west of the grand army plaza portion) just flat out give up on taking the route b/c it barely ever shows... people take the 75, however, people barely take the 71....

b67 yep, you're spot on... headways/service is sufficient for the passenger load / riderbase it carries... outside of the traffic jam(s) it has to deal with along flatbush av (and certain parts of 7th av), for the most part, I also find it to be a reliable route....

b68 service is erratic (as opposed to uniform)... if you're ever waiting along CI av, let's say b/w Av D & Av U, you'll find there's more buses traveling in one direction over the other.... it's strange... This is why I say that route don't need no limited service, no supplement, etc., as others have suggested in the past....

FWIW, if I were to grade those routes, I'd give 'em a:

B67= B

B68= C

B69= D

B71= F

B75= C-

Well you can't really rate a line you haven't rode yet and no one is forcing you to report on them :D

As for me:

Q35 - the limited service has improved the line a lot, but it means at least a bus every 15 min. So if I miss one, it will be at least that long till another arrives. I also like the new terminal at Av H and Nostrand Av, which takes me closer to where I need to go.

So final verdict: when I get it - A-, but if I miss it - C- or an average of maybe a B-.

B41 - ride it all the time and at times can be bad especially the tail end of the rush hours, but frequent enough. Main problem is crowding, but overall I would give it a B+

B9 - though I don't use it unless I'm going to the Brighton line or other subway lines, it is usually there when I get to the bus stop. So as far as 'frequency', I give it an A

its the N78/N79 but I have yet to use it

Not rating/grading the two routes, but I'll say this:

Don't know about the N78 enough. But it's the same ride as the N79 from Mineola, to where it (the N79) diverges onto Manetto Hill rd (the "quiet" portion of the N79, b/w old country rd & jericho tpke.)....

The N79 is my favorite ride, as far as LIB goes... so I know a little about it...

Most the time I ride this route, it's from either terminal (but I've ridden it out of Walt Whitman far more than I've ridden it out of Mineola)...

Traffic along Old Country rd is almost null in some parts, but can get bumper to bumper very quickly; it hits you like a ton of bricks... lol....

The "meat" of the ridership on those routes are b/w mineola & hicksville... w/ sporadic ridership b/w East Gate & the portion of westbury it serves...

I would like to grade some other routes that I know about.Bx12 select would recive an F because of the lack of some of the operators driving skills. Buses are not very frequent on Sundays and are always full. Everytime I ride the route, nobody is there to check the tickets. I don't know how select bus service will survive on the (M)(1)(5) & the (:D(4)(4). I would like to add that the machines for the select bus service are not always working. This was one of the main reasons why last June's fare hike happened:cry: The Bx1/Bx2 routes should stop running 40 footers. Last Monday I saw Orion V 6254 on the Bx1 followed by Orion VII NG 4342 on the Bx2.

*The Bx12 SBS IMO is 90%, at times, reliable enough. Much better than riding the Bx12 LCL. :D

*Police and fare inspectors randomly check passengers on the 12 SBS to see their proof-of-payment ticket, so it can happen anytime. Well, mainly during rush hours I believe.

*I don't know anything about the June fare hike, but nothing will always be perfect. Machines will pickup errors from time to time, but not all machines will be broken. I know that one machine at Pelham Bay Park was broken months ago while heading home, but there was another one that worked.

• 1 month later...

Q22-Never late, new buses, never too crowded(sometimes) Grade:A :)

Q21-Never comes. Bad schedule. Grade: D -_-

Q53-Love its LIMITED SERVICE, all on time, love taking it to school. Grade:A+ :)

Q35-Sometimes late. Grate route. Grade: B :)

Bx40-Never on time, takes toooooo long to come, hate it! Grade: F :cry:

Bx42-Never on time, takes toooooo long to come, hate it, take forever to go around the projects in Throgs Neck. Grade: F:(

Bx40/42-ALWAYS CROWDED

QM16-Rode it a few times. It's descent. Grade: B

Q102-Slow, Slower, and Slower, never comes, don't even get me started! Grade: G- :eek:the-scream.jpeg

You should have given the Q102 a Z- if it is that bad. I now give the Bx35 a D+ since I caught an RTS there

B63- Feels like the headways are more frequent than they actually are. There is alot of bunching and it is slow. The construction near the cemetary lowers this routes grade a bit.

Grade = C+

B71- Awful headways, but I guess it doesn't need more than two buses an hour. Fast, except on Union Street between 8th Avenue & Prospect Park West. I'd suggest a reroute.

Grade = C

B67- Weekend headways are a pain, but it is a fast route.

Grade = B+

B41- My favorite route and by far the most useful route for me. Limited service is great except during rush hours. Bergen Beach service is top notch, but the turn going into Kings Plaza on that branch takes too much time. Half hour late night headways between Avenue P and Cadman Plaza make the B41 easily accessable 24/7. I miss the 100% RTS's

Grade = A

B37- Fast, low headways. Nice alternative to the B63.

Grade = C+

B65- Decent headways, bunches way too much and it's schedule is not reliable.

Grade = D-

This is my report card for buses:

Bx1/2-C (Headways for each are average, LTD helps a little bit, No longer understand why Bx2 is needed after they stopped running it along Melrose, Bx1 could be full time SBS with Bx2 as local supplement.)

Bx4-F (A total duplicate of South Bronx subway service. Should be eliminated)Bx5-A (Links two major Bronx hubs by serving generally underserved areas, decent headways and does not bunch frequently.)

Bx6-F (Packs way too many people on those 40 footers, buses run like West Farms junk.)

Bx7- C (Runs can get long when there is alot of turnover, and bunches alot in Manhattan. Otherwise service is decent.)

Bx8- C (Service is horrible during non-school hours, It gets points for having an SBS transfer and serving my old school.)

Bx9- F (Needs a limited service, gets delayed a ton at Fordham Plaza, bumps into too many red lights along Broadway.)

Bx12- C (Local and SBS get same grade. SBS is extermely frequent though not immune to delays, local uses older buses and avoids the bus lane at times which results in a slower ride)

Bx14-F (Wait is too long for a route that runs in circles.)

Bx15- B (Most reliable route along 125 Street and i'm not kidding, frequency is great and is supplemented nicely with Bx55 LTD)

Bx16- D (Links 5,4 and D trains but given a Bx20 schedule, unnecessary artics pop up during rush hour, but gets credit for Bee-Line connection.)

Bx21- B (Wierd route but runs with decent frequency and doesn't bunch as much as other West Farms routes.)

Bx22- B- ( Comes on time when I do not need it and late when I do. Otherwise decent route.)

Bx26- D ( If it ran at decent headways Bx25 would not be needed, runs more frequently on weekends than rush hours.)

Bx27- B+ (Served my old neighborhood of Clasons Point running a longer schedule than the artic route down there did.)

Bx28- F (Needs to run more Fordham Center bound buses on weekdays to improve reliability, Norwood 205 st has too many buses terminated there, runs way more frequently than it's supplements which creates bunching and overcrowding.)

Bx29- A ( Much needed and is very reliable. Also like the NG's)

Bx30- C- (Doesn't need to serve Boston Road. Should run as a Bx28b doing it's Co-op City pattern so I can get a Norwood bound bus doing both rotations around Co-op.)

Bx31- D (Always crowded when I rode it, doesn't get an F because I rode a 2003 artic on it one morning.)

Bx34- F (Discontinue it immediately.)

• 3 months later...

Q85-runs limited stop service and has short turns that start at 137 Avenue/Farmers Blvd which increases the chances of me getting a seat. Miscreants from IS 231 and Springfield Gardens High use the bus. Headways are acceptable, though it seems like for every Q85 there's two Q5's. Grade: B

Q3-slow, not as frequent as most other Jamaica routes. Most of the time it isn't crowded Grade: C+

X63-an express route, uses MCI D4500's, it's usually fast (even when it uses Queens Blvd in the PM). Runs rush hour only (ridership doesn't warrant 7 day a week service). Crowds vary. Bus is busiest between 7:30-8:00 AM. Grade: B+

QM21-another express route. Although the QM21 is actually closer to my house than the X63, I primarily use the X63 since the QM21 (AM) has a circuitous route in Manhattan. The QM21 doesn't run as frequently as the X63, though the last QM21 leaves Manhattan at 11 PM. You're practically guaranteed a seat on the QM21. Grade: B-

N4-I haven't used this route in a while, though the most direct way for me to get to Roosevelt Field is to take this to the N15. Not as much service as the N6. Buses run in bunches. It seems like more people use this route in the reverse peak direction. Sunday service is pathetic. Grade: D+

Traffic along Old Country rd is almost null in some parts, but can get bumper to bumper very quickly; it hits you like a ton of bricks... lol....

Traffic is not all that heavy in the rush, true. But the midday/afternoon traffic for roughly 3/4 mile on either side of Rt 135 (esp eastbound) is terrible. Blame incorrectly timed traffic lights.

Q85 Comes when it wants to, always late [runs on BPT (black people time) j/k]. Not as frequent as the Q3, Q4, & Q5 despite having higher ridership. In March me and a B/O were waiting like 20-30 mins for a Q85 to come, she told me no one watches over these routes (only at Baisley) and that's why it's like that. In the morning it runs in bunches. This afternoon I was waiting for it then just started walking, I had already reached my destination (a mile away) before a Q85 passed by.

Gets a D+

Q20/Q44 Always packed by the 3rd stop, too slow. Has like 7,000 stops even though they're kinda spaced out. Has the 4th highest ridership in NYC. Needs artics for a capacity increase.

Gets a D+

Q85 (morning) - I never usually get a seat

Q85 (midday) - I usually get a seat, I get on at the first stop

Q44 (morning) - I always get a seat, I get on at the first stop

Q44 (midday) - I never usually get a seat

Archived