The top ten most annoying things in the Subway

MattTrain

I think it is the engine shutting down, or the air pressure being released. I do not think going into emergency is the problem, and changing ends is not one either. Since at Forest Hills - 71st Ave, the trains does it too, and it does not change ends.

It's still the Emergency brake. It goes into emergency at 71st to change crews

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is the engine shutting down, or the air pressure being released. I do not think going into emergency is the problem, and changing ends is not one either. Since at Forest Hills - 71st Ave, the trains does it too, and it does not change ends.

Subwayguy is right, the train is going into emergency. That normal when the train gets to the terminal. Also, it's a subway car, there is no engine because it is electrical so there is a motor. At 71st, the T/O leaves the cab so the train is put into emergency. Also, do you think they send the trains around a loop or something? They do change ends at 71st.

Please get your facts straight before you post something that is incorrect.

It's the train being placed in emergency by letting the handle go :)

I know that it is going into 'Emergency Brake' now, but they still drive the train down a grade, change ends undergrounds near 75th Ave. and run back. I don't really know fully if this is how they opearate underground. I believe you should get your facts straight too.

I have my facts straight, you don't. At 71st Av, the crew gets off and sometimes the T/O puts the train into emergency. If the train is made up of R46 equipment, "dumping" the train is not neccicary. If it is an older SMEE train, the train must be placed in emergency so that the T/O can take his/her brake handle when they get off the train.

Trains relay on the Lower level and then they change end to come back up.

No...That is wrong information. It IS the train going into emergency I know this for a fact. Where do some of the people here get there information from? Everything above is flat out wrong.

Every T/O has their own brake handle and on a SMEE train they cannot take their handle out without putting the train in emergency. So if you hear trains dumping at CTL, that is why. And those trains DO change ends in the relays East of the station, and then they come in on the S/B tracks.

Subway cars don't have "engines" first of all, and if you mean "motors" the motor is "shut down" or "off" whenever theh handle is not in a power position. That means no electricity to the motor, it's off. It is NOT like a car motor which remains "on" until it is physically turned off by the driver. A subway motor is only "on" when it needs to be.

In the future please get your information correct before you make a post like this as it can confuse people who see conflicting information.

This thread is still alive? Grand Central if you need to get to a MNR train in a hurry from the subway. The amount of roadblocks encountered can turn a calm person into that texting bus driver.

Yeah this thræd is still alive :)

oh, to add 1 to my list

#11 - people who throw trash on tracks

Whoa... Never really had lot of those issues! Of course, I never went to NYC and rode the subway! I mean, in DC, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh they all were pretty good with the no loud music, smoking, eating, etc. Never saw any panhandlers in those systems.

I've heard with some of Atlanta's old turnstiles, you didn't even need to jump over them, you could actually force them! Now they got those new kind that are higher, which insures that everyone who rides has at least some money! New York could probably use them!

Only annoying thing I can think of, at least for the NYC subway, is just that its overwhelmingly large and vast.

In no particular order...

1.Tourists who ask you how to get somewhere in the subway and then you see them go and ask someone else(what I'm gonna screw you over for the hell of it? I'd be pissed if I got that done to me. I like to show off my subway knowledge anyway lol)

2. Those who run for the Grand Central shuttle like it was the last train out of New Orleans before Katrina or some shit(like..theres another one coming in like 30 seconds, don't knock my ass down because you just HAVE to get this one.)

3. Those rowdy ass damn kids during rush hour(I'm a kid myself I'm only 16 but...I know how to sit down and shut up when needed, even though on fantrips with others I do act a little crazy, but they just overdo it.)

And that's not the worst part. They always have to do some stupid shit that causes the train to either be severly delayed or put out of service and the situation always ends with them being hauled away by cops or running like punks(breaking windows, pulling e-brakes, breaking into cabs etc)

4. The ones that love to sell candy on the train claiming they need money in their pocket yet he has on expensive ass clothes( way better clothes than I have on), and then when you buy candy from him and you wanna make change for a 10 he pulls out a big wad of singles. Yeah, keep you off the streets ok.

5. The few conductors that seem to have Stage Fright when talking into the PA. It's a brand new 160 and I'm sure the mic works correctly, speak up dammit. I'm not a bat with sonar hearing. I can't decode that gibberish your saying. I mean I'm no stranger to G/O's and I can find my way around most of them but when it's a weekday and it's something that comes up on a whim that's vital information, the hell you gotta be nervous about? this aint the 80s. Nobodys gonna punch you in the face for mispronouncing the stop.

6. The MTA in general annoys me (they always gotta take the complicated way out and give you bs directions that you cut down as you go along.) i.e. No (J) from chambers to bway junction or something. Take the (A) which is running local to Broadway Junction. Or I can take it to 14th and get the (L) which cuts straight across Brooklyn and turn a hour long ordeal with epic station dwell times and ghetto ass people (no offense Im black too lol) to a 25 minute hassle free ride

7. Every terminal with a crew room lol. In particular Far Rockaway, Canarsie, Jamaica Center, and Dyre Avenue(I like World Trade Center. In and out like nothing. From personal experience. I mean I'm not against you sitting and resting for a while before a long run, but cmon! they spend like 45 minutes just standing and talking about some ignorant shit not even related to the TA. Then they gotta spend another 20 getting their gear and w/e else they do in there and 15 more minutes bsing around, and finally they decide to do their jobs. Yeah anytime today would be great so you know we could uh...you know....get to our destinations? but you do this at your leisure! after you your highness! after you sir!. I mean if it's that much of a bother for you to give me my 2.25's worth you can hand me your reverser, brake handle, and keys and I'll drive myself to Fordham Road. Lol.

8. Every time i ride the train during the Morning Rush there's more trains going to the terminal than coming to take us downtown. You see like 23 (4) trains to Woodlawn before you see 1 to Utica. Probably the T/Os bsing around up at Woodlawn :P. I hope not though lol. I mean they send alot of trains out during the morning rush going downtown and their on their way back but then you pass Bedford Park Yard and see like 12 sets laid up the yard. They can put em right into service at Kingsbridge. MTA messing with me again.

9. How they randomly fixed up 231st Street on the (1) and didn't touch any other station btwn VCP and 181. I haven't heard even about capital being set aside for these stations or anything. Dyckman out of them all from years of getting on and off there is a decrepit station. 181st...well you know that story...and 168 is so hot you can bake your Thanksgiving Turkey down there in like 35 minutes. I mean get some plug up 99 cent store plastic fans or something lol.

10. How I got asked by someone who clearly has been in a cave for 25 or 30 years if the double C was running. me: huh? Is the Double C running today? how about the double A? that screwing up too? double B or something?

me: sir it is 2009. They got rid of those lines in 1986...way before my time...there are maps everywhere. Go get one Go buy a computer, get rid of your cordless black payphone in a suitcase with the 70 foot antenna you call a cellphone, and buy an ipod and throw away the tapeplayer!. White people live in Harlem again sir. You can pass 59th Street and not fear for your life. Nobodys gonna bust a cap in yo ass unless you step on their brand new A-Solos You are safe..I know you haven't ridden the subway since 1984 but...you've heard about something on the news haven't you? cmon

Ok theres my 10...they're weird but yeah lol

7. Every terminal with a crew room lol. In particular Far Rockaway, Canarsie, Jamaica Center, and Dyre Avenue(I like World Trade Center. In and out like nothing. From personal experience. I mean I'm not against you sitting and resting for a while before a long run, but cmon! they spend like 45 minutes just standing and talking about some ignorant shit not even related to the TA. Then they gotta spend another 20 getting their gear and w/e else they do in there and 15 more minutes bsing around, and finally they decide to do their jobs. Yeah anytime today would be great so you know we could uh...you know....get to our destinations? but you do this at your leisure! after you your highness! after you sir!. I mean if it's that much of a bother for you to give me my 2.25's worth you can hand me your reverser, brake handle, and keys and I'll drive myself to Fordham Road. Lol.

COMPLETE disagree on that. Crews need a rest too. When you go somewhere on the road by car, don't you stop and, ya know, pee, eat, stretch your legs, etc.? Nobody can work constantly without breaks. They need that break because it keeps them sharp and focused when they are on the road. Are you in school? When you have homework do you just go through it working hours at a time? Or do you take breaks and break it into chunks. No different for crews. They need rest time built into the job just like most other jobs do. I work a job without set rest time and trust me, it sucks. And if you don't take breaks, you make mistakes after a while because you are fatigued. In my current job the mistakes are not serious. In transit, you'd better believe mistakes are VERY serious.

As for what workers talk about...they can talk about whatever they want. America, free country, free speech. One of the few things left in the "nanny state" that still makes us great IMO.

People who decide to both break the rules and lose their minds on the train when they could just keep their business to themselves.

To make a long story short, I was on the (2) train headed to the Bronx Sunday night, these two guys walk in, a man entering old age and and a much younger dude who the older man had kindly told the younger man to put out his cigarette. Younger man gives older dude a death threat and all hell almost breaks loose.

People who decide to both break the rules and lose their minds on the train when they could just keep their business to themselves.

To make a long story short, I was on the (2) train headed to the Bronx Sunday night, these two guys walk in, a man entering old age and and a much younger dude who the older man had kindly told the younger man to put out his cigarette. Younger man gives older dude a death threat and all hell almost breaks loose.

Oh....you mean kinda like this? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bm_y3u7iHg

I am always on the Q55 going 2 MPH, especially getting from one side of Woodhaven to another, and I miss the Q53, Q21, or the Q11. Scared of a gas petal much?

But when it's a train, I go crazy, because I hate stopping between stations, especially underground.

Claustrophobic?

Yes, I hate it too.

It sometimes makes me late for stuff.

COMPLETE disagree on that. Crews need a rest too. When you go somewhere on the road by car, don't you stop and, ya know, pee, eat, stretch your legs, etc.? Nobody can work constantly without breaks. They need that break because it keeps them sharp and focused when they are on the road. Are you in school? When you have homework do you just go through it working hours at a time? Or do you take breaks and break it into chunks. No different for crews. They need rest time built into the job just like most other jobs do. I work a job without set rest time and trust me, it sucks. And if you don't take breaks, you make mistakes after a while because you are fatigued. In my current job the mistakes are not serious. In transit, you'd better believe mistakes are VERY serious.

As for what workers talk about...they can talk about whatever they want. America, free country, free speech. One of the few things left in the "nanny state" that still makes us great IMO.

Uh yeah..I'm aware they need a rest...and aware of "free speech" also.They're completely entitled to their breaks but it seems I just get to the station at the wrong time...and the only train in the station is assigned to a T/O who just went on a 45 min break lol. I understand you need breaks...but I gotta get where I'm going in a timely fashion. Sometimes it's just like...damn!...

Uh yeah..I'm aware they need a rest...and aware of "free speech" also.They're completely entitled to their breaks but it seems I just get to the station at the wrong time...and the only train in the station is assigned to a T/O who just went on a 45 min break lol. I understand you need breaks...but I gotta get where I'm going in a timely fashion. Sometimes it's just like...damn!...

Uh no, that's not how it works. The crews don't leave whenever they feel like it. They leave according to a schedule and when they are signaled by starting lights and have a line-up.

He's saying that they sometimes don't leave according to schedule because they happen to be there:o

I mean like it could be either wrong timing of me or bad scheduling of the trains because like I said I get to the terminal and theres only 1 train there and the TO's on a 45 min. break lol. You can't take the train across the platform because that one takes twice as long.

And don't tell me to just "deal with it" I'm paying these bastards more money(you may not think 25 cents extra is alot but it adds up trust me) and getting crappier service I got a right to complain as does everyone on this forum.

I mean like it could be either wrong timing of me or bad scheduling of the trains because like I said I get to the terminal and theres only 1 train there and the TO's on a 45 min. break lol. You can't take the train across the platform because that one takes twice as long.

And don't tell me to just "deal with it" I'm paying these bastards more money(you may not think 25 cents extra is alot but it adds up trust me) and getting crappier service I got a right to complain as does everyone on this forum.

Again that is not how it works. A crew gets an interval and that is it, that is his interval. If he is supposed to get into a terminal at 11:10, have a 45 minute lunch and make his next run at 11:55...guess what, when his train gets delayed 35 minutes, he still has to make his 11:55 despite getting in at 11:45. So he gets a 10 minute break and a "no lunch" and back out on the road. So that train you think is being held up because of someone on lunch, that's actually not the case at all. The schedule is determining everything and the guy you see eating lunch is not scheduled out for the train that you think is being held up, he's scheduled out for a later train and that's why he gets to enjoy his lunch instead of taking a no lunch and getting right back in the cab.

Archived