Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your still going to be in a CAB as a TO, both job can be stressful regardless...if I ever become a conductor I would rather just work as an assistant dispatcher or flagger..but that's just me..my main goal to get hired in mta was to become a car inspector or signal maintainer which I already applied to take  these this exams in feb 2017

if sticking your head out of a window is your issue then I wouldn't bother taking the position, wait for the next T/O exam to come out..simple

this T/O you spoke to didn't tell you the things they go thru as well? like having your hands on the deadman handle without letting go? trying operating a r46 or 32 ..T/O job is not easy as well ..atleast with a conductor job you can actually stretch while the train is in motion and not worry about hitting a signal or person..both position as I stated is stressful..

my problem when I was in T/O school is that I listen to people..if I get into conductor school car I will change this and just do me and help who needs help in schoolcar..

@Tprashad, excellent points.

Both positions are stressful in different ways.

I think I'm better suited for the stress and responsibilities of the C/R title.

If I'm fortunate enough to be hired as a conductor I'd probably stay with the position for the long haul. Being on a line I like that's a reasonable commute is something I'd be reluctant to give up. Once you're at top pay and picking up some OT the money isn't that much less than T/O. But always take any promotional tests, you never know - you don't have to take the promotion, and you don't have to stay on the promotional title if you find it's not for you.

@Tprashad, excellent points.

Both positions are stressful in different ways.

I think I'm better suited for the stress and responsibilities of the C/R title.

If I'm fortunate enough to be hired as a conductor I'd probably stay with the position for the long haul. Being on a line I like that's a reasonable commute is something I'd be reluctant to give up. Once you're at top pay and picking up some OT the money isn't that much less than T/O. But always take any promotional tests, you never know - you don't have to take the promotion, and you don't have to stay on the promotional title if you find it's not for you.

I'm staying as a Conductor. TO entails too many responsibilities.

Matt, I emailed Rivera, she told me I can come in anytime this week for 7:30 ...going to ask my job today if I can take a day off to handle this

I live in queens but I wouldn't mind working on the IRT lines (number trains) majority of those trains are New Tech, vs the B division where is is more older trains to learn such as the J,C,A trains r32,r42,r46

only thing I have against the number train (A division) is traveling to the Bronx for yard training etc...

God willing I get A Division. Again like I keep on saying that the 7 train is not too far my house.

I don't mind starting in Nov, gives me time to get my stuff straighten up with my current job

Like I keep on telling everyone else get your ducks in a row before the class starts because once it does there's no going back.

your still going to be in a CAB as a TO, both job can be stressful regardless...if I ever become a conductor I would rather just work as an assistant dispatcher or flagger..but that's just me..my main goal to get hired in mta was to become a car inspector or signal maintainer which I already applied to take these this exams in feb 2017

Staying a Conductor is fine by me. I hate being confined to one place.

Staying a Conductor is fine by me. I hate being confined to one place.

Agreed but the pay my man -- top pay must be insane. I'm sure I'll stay Conductor but you never know!!

I'm staying as a Conductor. TO entails too many responsibilities.

God willing I get A Division. Again like I keep on saying that the 7 train is not too far my house.

Like I keep on telling everyone else get your ducks in a row before the class starts because once it does there's no going back.

I'm up in the air about Division because I live in Laurelton so Division B would have me on the E, J, F, Z. But I'm leaning toward the 7 but then the 1,2,3,4,5,6 ugh.

^ that is my issue as well, working those number trains living in queens is tough..travel times for you to meet your class might be 1:30-2:30 hours..might be easier to drive which I know TSS are against you doing in schoolcar for good reasons but sometimes you might not have np choice and pay those tolls and look for parking etc

^ that is my issue as well, working those number trains living in queens is tough..travel times for you to meet your class might be 1:30-2:30 hours..might be easier to drive which I know TSS are against you doing in schoolcar for good reasons but sometimes you might not have np choice and pay those tolls and look for parking etc

Yea or just drive to the stations, and park up. But living in Queens and getting the numbers yikes. The letters are better because, I heard newbies won't see the B or D until were well into top pay.

Yea or just drive to the stations, and park up. But living in Queens and getting the numbers yikes. The letters are better because, I heard newbies won't see the B or D until were well into top pay.

That's fine by me. I have no desire to work those lines any way.

@Tprashad, I just took the new exam so I don't have a list # yet.

Which one?

^ that is my issue as well, working those number trains living in queens is tough..travel times for you to meet your class might be 1:30-2:30 hours..might be easier to drive which I know TSS are against you doing in schoolcar for good reasons but sometimes you might not have np choice and pay those tolls and look for parking etc

I live in Bayside now so the 7 definitely works for me. But I wouldn't working the 4 just so I get to see Yankee Stadium everyday.

Agreed but the pay my man -- top pay must be insane. I'm sure I'll stay Conductor but you never know!!

I'm up in the air about Division because I live in Laurelton so Division B would have me on the E, J, F, Z. But I'm leaning toward the 7 but then the 1,2,3,4,5,6 ugh.

Not me. I am dead set on A Division.

JMA, there is nothing wrong staying a conductor ..but as you work one job for so long I am sure you will want to take every opportunity possible of taking promotional exams..as you work you will see other positions you will be hungry for...

If my wife makes me then I'll have no choice but I already know what I want. It's all I want.

I hear you, bro. I just have no desire in becoming a boss or being chained to a desk all day. I know I'll be happier in the end. Just give me my regularly scheduled tour and I'm good.

my brother is a conductor on the #7 train, only part he doesn't like is Game night lol...other then that great train to work on

That I can understand. All of the drunk idiots who think it's funny to hold the doors open for their stupid friends. Minus that it's okay with me. Again, god willing I get it.

You're not too far from me. I wouldn't mind the E or F.

Hey guys so I heard we get sworn in at our Medicals, assuming we are not on medical hold.

Is that when we have to resign from our current jobs?

You get sworn in on the day of final processing. If that just happens to be the same day as your medical, so be it.

And no, you don't have to resign. Swearing in just means you're officially an MTA employee. That doesn't mean that you'll be heading to training immediately after. I was sworn in on Friday & have 2 weeks left before I start training.

Well I just finisehd my pre-employment. They are having classes for conductor for September 26 and October 24.

Your class will most likely be the one in September.

Tdevon, who knows we might have the same class if I decide to go thru this.

Get in as soon as possible.

You get sworn in on the day of final processing. If that just happens to be the same day as your medical, so be it.

And no, you don't have to resign. Swearing in just means you're officially an MTA employee. That doesn't mean that you'll be heading to training immediately after. I was sworn in on Friday & have 2 weeks left before I start training.

I'm going into the August class. Already put in my two week notice. Gave them my letter of resignation. You get the gist.

Not always. If you get placed on medical hold, have something else that needs resolving or you do a second drug test during your medical, then final processing will automatically be another day for you.

Exactly.

Tdevon, who knows we might have the same class if I decide to go thru this.

Get it done, bro.

Archived