Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because most C/R's down here get the stops memorized within the first couple days of being out of schoolcar and aren't still carrying cheat sheets on and off the trains. When I first posted on the 7, my trainer specifically mentioned that he doesn't let his students use maps or station lists, and if you don't know what the next station is, ask him. The first trip I did, I asked him between almost every station if "is it 82 next, followed by 74 & Broadway?" on the first trip, and most of the time I was right, but if I occasionally forgot a station, at least he corrected me. This is something I picked up when I had my first student a couple weeks ago, and she was thankful for keeping her on her toes.

When you have customers running up to you in a fury asking things like "what's the next stop? "how many stops to Intervale Ave" and "does this train stop at 18 St" you can't be pulling out cheat sheets to look up the answer - that's just part of the job, and it's in the rulebook that you must have a expert familiarity with the subway system and the Metropolitan Area.

When I go to B-Div, I'm gonna have to do some studying to learn those stations (especially the 4 lines to Coney Island, since as many as 3 of them have stations like Bay Parkway and Kings Highway, mixed in with random ## Ave) but you better believe by the time I post, I'll have the names and orders memorized!

And also there was only one person I met during Donald's posting week that was talking like a locker room lawyer, meanwhile saying things that were totally false. Really, the promo T/O exam was exhausted back in April? So why did a C/R I know get called up to T/O just LAST WEEK??

Actually there are several people who were in my class that use laminated strip maps. I actually got the idea from someone in my class who was the first to use them. It's hard to memorize stops when your on a different line every other day. It's easy to memorize stops in Manhattan since they are all numbered, but not in the Bronx/ lower Manhattan where most stations have names, not numbers.

I haven't seen one New C/R in the B Div who has cards like that ,they make it their business to know the lines.

Be glad you arent in the B Div then Donald you would be pulling yer hair out...

Yer voice would be horse dont have New Techs all over the B like you do the A Div...

Hopefully you will ditch those cards before you get off probation..

I wouldnt know that, I'm not there yet. How long have you been down there?

Not even down here long enough to have a cup of coffee...

I'm curious Snowblock, do you work on the 1 line? Because that's the only line I ever use strip maps on.

I work all over the A-Div. And I have little trouble adjusting to a different line every 2 days. The 1 line should be the EASIEST, since every single station from 242-14 is a number (even Dyckman gets referred to as 200th St by some folk). My very first day out of schoolcar, I was on the 2, and I studied all of those Bronx stations, specifically because we had a GO where we'd be running up the middle from 3 Av, and I wanted to be able to make the "for customers going to Jackson, Prospect, Intervale, Simpson, Freeman, 174 and East Tremont, stay on this train" announcement without fumbling over notes. I had it down pact by the time I actually stepped onto the train. It's been a couple months since I've worked the 3, so I might just glance over a subway map before my first trip to remember Sutter-Rutland, Saratoga, Rockaway, Junius, Penn, VC, NLTS if I get reassigned to it sometime later this pick. Oh wait, I still remember.

Nowadays, I know better and just say "for all local stations up to E180"....

Sooner or later you're gonna be on a R62A which is gonna get rerouted up to White Plains to Dyre or down to Flatbush. It's rare, but it HAS happened (I've operated multiple 3's to/from FLA before), and your TOD messages aren't gonna save you when you don't know what's after Winthrop St. There are also some TOD's that don't work properly, and you'll be forced to either make manual announcements, or let it keep malfunctioning and leave the pax in the dark (which unfortunately is something too many C/R's do....), so you had better be prepared to announce Castle Hill, Zerega, West Sq, etc. on your own. Throw out those laminates and LEARN YOUR STATIONS.

I work all over the A-Div. And I have little trouble adjusting to a different line every 2 days. The 1 line should be the EASIEST, since every single station from 242-14 is a number (even Dyckman gets referred to as 200th St by some folk). My very first day out of schoolcar, I was on the 2, and I studied all of those Bronx stations, specifically because we had a GO where we'd be running up the middle from 3 Av, and I wanted to be able to make the "for customers going to Jackson, Prospect, Intervale, Simpson, Freeman, 174 and East Tremont, stay on this train" announcement without fumbling over notes. I had it down pact by the time I actually stepped onto the train. It's been a couple months since I've worked the 3, so I might just glance over a subway map before my first trip to remember Sutter-Rutland, Saratoga, Rockaway, Junius, Penn, VC, NLTS if I get reassigned to it sometime later this pick. Oh wait, I still remember.

Nowadays, I know better and just say "for all local stations up to E180"....

Sooner or later you're gonna be on a R62A which is gonna get rerouted up to White Plains to Dyre or down to Flatbush. It's rare, but it HAS happened (I've operated multiple 3's to/from FLA before), and your TOD messages aren't gonna save you when you don't know what's after Winthrop St. There are also some TOD's that don't work properly, and you'll be forced to either make manual announcements, or let it keep malfunctioning and leave the pax in the dark (which unfortunately is something too many C/R's do....), so you had better be prepared to announce Castle Hill, Zerega, West Sq, etc. on your own. Throw out those laminates and LEARN YOUR STATIONS.

"Oh the A Div is soo easy" yet he has those cards..

SMH @ The Rookie...

Sooner or later it will get to Facebook about him and his "cards" trust me..

So every conductor right out of school car knows all of the 60 + stations on the 2 line? Come on, I doubt that.

Take those strip maps and throw them out the window. You don't remember any stops like I told you before, write them down on the back of your schedule card. Makes life easier.

There is a rookie conductor on the B and this guy is not only a BUFF but a weirdo. If there is a supplement he'll copy down on a piece of paper every stops arrival time. I told him take your schedule card, cross out the departure time and arrival time at each terminal, very easy very simple. takes 2 seconds. But then again this dude wears his sweater with a tie and a long sleeve shirt on a 100' day..........RTO man may have worked with him B4.

Gap stations on supplements are useless, since most of the time there is a ton of padding built in. That's why you'll see supplements that give you a half hour to go from Franklin to Flatbush, meanwhile it's impossible to keep up with the schedule for the rest of the run due to flagging and you're 15 minutes late at Franklin but still come into Flatbush on time.

The 7 line is the only one left in A-Div that still uses I-Trac, which has a feature to print the actual supplement next to the schedule card. This was left out of ATS.

why is it that you can have everything memorized in head, door cut-out procedures, radio transmissions etc., yet when a TSS calls on you to verbalize to the class you forget everything down to your ABC's. its mid term and yard practical week and i feel like i havent retained any of the information, maybe its just nervousness/anxiety. Any advice?

Of course they have new techs in the B division RTO man. They have the R160s and R143s. And B divison new techs are better than A division ones since they hae the FIND dispaly instead of the strip maps, which can be changed easily if ithe train operates on a different line.

When I first started working the 1, I always got Canal and Chambers mixed up since they are near each other and both start with C.

But now I know all the stops on every line. I just don't know the order they are in. So if someone asks me if my train goes to XYZ street, I don't need to look at my strip map. In fact, sometimes I will even ask the passenger where they are going since multiple stops have the same name, like 125 on the 1 and 125 on the 4.

Of course they have new techs in the B division RTO man. They have the R160s and R143s. And B divison new techs are better than A division ones since they hae the FIND dispaly instead of the strip maps, which can be changed easily if ithe train operates on a different line.

And what are you gonna do if you go to B-Div and get to work the Quincy during Fast Rack? It's supposed to go to 21-Queensbridge, and yet there's no Q via Broadway to Queensbridge program.

why is it that you can have everything memorized in head, door cut-out procedures, radio transmissions etc., yet when a TSS calls on you to verbalize to the class you forget everything down to your ABC's. its mid term and yard practical week and i feel like i havent retained any of the information, maybe its just nervousness/anxiety. Any advice?

That's just called stage fright. As long as you actually understand the concepts, you'll be fine. When you have to cut out a door for the practical, just take your time and go through the same steps that you did 100 times in schoolcar. As long as you don't demonstrate anything unsafe (open up on the wrong side, try to use the red latch behind the swing sash to fix the door, etc), you'll pass.

You arent getting it (as usual) Im talking about the R32's, the R42's the R46's the R68's NO Strip Maps, Working that Dog from 205 to the Well or that Apple from 207 to the Rock______________ Ill let other folks fill out the rest...

And what are you gonna do if you go to B-Div and get to work the Quincy during Fast Rack? It's supposed to go to 21-Queensbridge, and yet there's no Q via Broadway to Queensbridge program.

Look at his Index Cards? before he makes announcements? While a TSS and a Supt at the C/R board waiting for him to open up...

Take a deep breath and remember your training dont let RCC rush you if just got to cut the door out you will do it, Now In Schoolcar they wont rush you all they want to see that you can do it the right way.

can i ask you around what # gyou are?

Ok, its been a whole month now since the drug test, no call, nothing! I know I pass the damn thing. i'm assuming I won't get a call until a new set of classes start up? Any update would be greatly appricated.

can i ask you around what# you are?

Archived