Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She went in yesterday for final processing.

Congrats to your wife.If its ok to ask, what is your wife's list number? You don't have to state the exact number. It's just to give an example to how far they've got on this list for medical/final processing.

Congrats to your wife.If its ok to ask, what is your wife's list number? You don't have to state the exact number. It's just to give an example to how far they've got on this list for medical/final processing.

If I'm not mistaking, She's in the range with list #'s 66X.

train operator is a promotional title, as well as an open competitive title; The T/O test came out in mid 09, therefore, there should be another exam coming soon. As a brand new conductor who hasnt even started school car yet (june 25th) would I be able to take the exam and get that promotion, thinking about it, that would be a five year plan. any of the vets who so willingly answer all rookie questions ever done something like that?

understandable. but if ive already have C/R as a permanent position why would i get terminated, wouldnt just get demoted back to C/R? im not talking about applying for operator while im on probation as a conductor. i was just asking if anyone has done something like that

train operator is a promotional title, as well as an open competitive title; The T/O test came out in mid 09, therefore, there should be another exam coming soon. As a brand new conductor who hasnt even started school car yet (june 25th) would I be able to take the exam and get that promotion, thinking about it, that would be a five year plan. any of the vets who so willingly answer all rookie questions ever done something like that?

I had asked my supervisor about this. He informed me that before the list expires you are able to put yur list number on hold while u finish yur probationary period. Then u can reactivate yur list number & u'll automatically will be put at the top of the list to be called on. Btw I have a few coworker/classmates who have taken the T/O exam & are considering the same move as well once probation is completed. Good luck!

Thx, i know im getting ahead of myself, one step at a time, but i was just thinking ambitously and planning for the future, also curious as to the experiences of those before me.

Never feel that way! Your train of thought is on the right track..literally!! Go for it man..I sure am. Every promo exam possible I'll be taking & making moves upward! Once again good luck!

Gentleman, just got my letter to report to brooklyn on Wedneday for the #8094 conductor job. My number was in the low 700. I have a few questions I hope could be answered. First, I took the test when I was 47yrs old and living in Staten Island, I'm now 52 and living in New Jersey. Yes I did the Brooklyn, Staten Island to Jersey move. I pretty healthy for a 52 yr old and not worried about passing a physical, but worried about the commute and money I will be spending in travel. My worst fear if I get the job is being sent to the Bronx or somewhere 2 hours away. I need the job so I can't really complain. Can a 52yr old handle the stress of commuting like this? Does the MTA offer assistance for commuting? Bottom line... Is this a job for someone older from Jersey? Any input would greatly help. Thanks

Today I got my posting times & locations. Excited to start on the road for the next two weeks!! Happy I successfully passed my yard practical & midterm exam (Division A).

congrats on passing your midterm and pratical, and thx for the encouragement. I was gonna ask you, how has school car been? Monday is orientation and I am nervous and anxious at the same time. This past week seemed as if time was moving in slow motion, I cant wait to get started.

Gentleman, just got my letter to report to brooklyn on Wedneday for the #8094 conductor job. My number was in the low 700. I have a few questions I hope could be answered. First, I took the test when I was 47yrs old and living in Staten Island, I'm now 52 and living in New Jersey. Yes I did the Brooklyn, Staten Island to Jersey move. I pretty healthy for a 52 yr old and not worried about passing a physical, but worried about the commute and money I will be spending in travel. My worst fear if I get the job is being sent to the Bronx or somewhere 2 hours away. I need the job so I can't really complain. Can a 52yr old handle the stress of commuting like this? Does the MTA offer assistance for commuting? Bottom line... Is this a job for someone older from Jersey? Any input would greatly help. Thanks

To be honest, that commute from jers to the boondocks of the boroughs would be strain on a person of any age. Depending on where you are going, your commute could be 2 and a half hours just one way, and jersey transit does not run as frequent as the mta in the city. therefore you really have to plan accordingly to jersey transit. The night before my appt to go to 180 livingston I stayed at my brothers house in newark. i had to be at a bus stop, a few blocks away, at 430 am to get to the path train at 505 am, just to get into the city at 6 am. i played it safe by being so early, but if I would have left later than that I would not have gotten to 180 livingston until at least 8 am.

Today I got my posting times & locations. Excited to start on the road for the next two weeks!! Happy I successfully passed my yard practical & midterm exam (Division A).

You're just STARTING posting? Wow, you must be right behind another class, as they've been posting the last two weeks the (I had a student last Friday). You're gonna see 7 different conducting styles when you post, and a lot of crazy techniques. Do NOT pick up any habits - stick to what schoolcar taught you!! This is where you really learn the job, so good luck. Maybe you'll even get an 8 hour lesson from me!

You're just STARTING posting? Wow, you must be right behind another class, as they've been posting the last two weeks the (I had a student last Friday). You're gonna see 7 different conducting styles when you post, and a lot of crazy techniques. Do NOT pick up any habits - stick to what schoolcar taught you!! This is where you really learn the job, so good luck. Maybe you'll even get an 8 hour lesson from me!

I have been taught on numerous occasions to avoid the CREW ROOM LAWYERS & not to pick up or establish ANY bad habits, so I'm good! Thanks! There's 20 of us..split 10 in A & 10 in B posting next week. I start with the 1⃣ Line out of 242nd Term on Tuesday afternoon. My posting is in sequential order.

A couple of my classmates live in NJ who are assigned to the A Div & make the journey on a regular basis to the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens. They're always on time to work. Once you start you will receive your pass ID which helps eliminate a good half of yur commuters expense. U can also drive to work. Don't worry about yur age. I heard there's this 78yo man who just finished Conductor's schoolcar a couple months ago & he's doing just great. Plus two classmates of mine are in their 50s. Just come in on time everyday, learn, have fun, establish good repore with yur fellow classmates & instructors and u'll do just fine! Good luck!

Hmm well it's unlikely I'm gonna have you (there's one day where our lines will match up, but I have a late job and they tend to make the PM posting early so that you get out of there before the overnight GO's start up), but I'll probably have one of your classmates next Friday. Yeah remember there are some BIG TALKERS down here, and most of them talk just to hear themselves speak, so don't pay them no mind. You're here to protect your job, and schoolcar are the ones who decide if you keep it or lose it, so their advice/instruction is all that matters.

Good luck to all the new C/R's. I'm a TSS in A Div so if your in A Div good chance I'll see you. Now about commuting that's something you have to be willing to do. You get a Pass for NYCT subways and busses they expect you to be on time. They do offer transit check. I commute from PA to Manhattan/Bronx and Brooklyn taken public transit take me 2 1/2 hours. However I cummuted for the last 12 years in various Titles so I'm use to it.

Apparently they don't care where you live as long as you make it to work...

I might move to CT (but near the New Haven line) if I get the job. Ideally, I would time that move for after I can pick something steady (I live in A Division land now.)

I wonder who has the longest commute that works in NYCT..

Apparently they don't care where you live as long as you make it to work...

I might move to CT (but near the New Haven line) if I get the job. Ideally, I would time that move for after I can pick something steady (I live in A Division land now.)

I wonder who has the longest commute that works in NYCT..

There was a thread about this subject, found it. I respect more those that drive then who take the train/bus combo.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/25253-transit-employees-that-commute/

Archived