Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Basically, it's either get teased for 7 hrs at school vs however long it takes a person to get home. Sadly, it's 'pick your poison'. For me the commute wasn't too bad or long. So in my case I was fine. Obviously it's different for others.

Oh no, my commute is long (1 hour 50 mins - 2hours), but tolerable for me (probably because I love transit, but if it was the average person it would be tedious and exhausting), only because I moved... Commute is def worth it tho.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight sign of the times....

See, that's the thing....Around the time I was in grade school, private school kids would get picked on by public school kids....

Public school kids on the same bus/subway car as private school kids, forget about it... One way or another, the private school kids would catch flack from public school kids....

Nowadays, public school kids don't pick on kids in private schools near as much... they're too busy raggin on each other (regarding clothing or whatever else)....

In either case, both are effed up situations kids had/have to go through in their scholastic lives.....

It depends on who you ask, and for what reason they favor/dislike uniforms......

Public school kids, in my experience, don't seem to pick on catholic school kids at all... Although when I see a lot of public school kids in one area (Jamaica Center, at like 4pm, for example), I get a bit nervous, as there aren't much Catholic school kids around but a lot of public school kids. LIke "would they try to start something cuz im wearing a uniform?" "Or do they think im weak cuz I go to catholic school?" but nothing ever happens..

Basically, it's either get teased for 7 hrs at school vs however long it takes a person to get home. Sadly, it's 'pick your poison'.

You can look at it like that (simply regarding wearing a uniform vs having a predictable wardrobe whilst in public school), yes.....

However, there's long been the stigma that private school kids/kids that wear uniforms, are soft..... Which public school kids saw/depicted as easier targets....

Public school kids, in my experience, don't seem to pick on catholic school kids at all... Although when I see a lot of public school kids in one area (Jamaica Center, at like 4pm, for example), I get a bit nervous, as there aren't much Catholic school kids around but a lot of public school kids. LIke "would they try to start something cuz im wearing a uniform?" "Or do they think im weak cuz I go to catholic school?" but nothing ever happens..

just saw your post after I hit refresh....

Anyway, scary how we both brought up the same point w/o reading each other's post beforehand.....

But yeah, that's what I'm saying.... public school kids/teens nowadays hardly care about picking on a kid that goes to private school b/c they go to private school (which is a good thing).... The negative is, there's more in-fighting (or w/e you wanna call it) b/w kids that go to the same public school..... private schools IMO is even worse with that....

Edited by B35 via Church

You can look at it like that (simply regarding wearing a uniform vs having a predictable wardrobe whilst in public school), yes.....

However, there's long been the stigma that private school kids/kids that wear uniforms, are soft..... Which public school kids saw/depicted as easier targets....

just saw your post after I hit refresh....

Anyway, scary how we both brought up the same point w/o reading each other's post beforehand.....

But yeah, that's what I'm saying.... public school kids/teens nowadays don't care about picking on a kid that goes to private school b/c they go to private school (which is a good thing).... The negative is, there's more in-fighting (or w/e you wanna call it) b/w kids that go to the same public school..... private schools IMO is even worse with that....

Lol yeah.... With "in-fighting", in my school, there is a lot of drama, A LOT. And there are the occasional fights.. Most of the kids are just talk and wanna look cool. In catholic school, from experience, it is way harder to avoid trouble after having a fight. 9 times out of 10 in my school, the school will find out and suspension is always the result. Especially since my school is in Astoria, there is a bit of police presence as well...

From the public schools that my friends go to, I have never heard them mention a fight occurring there before, which proves your point even more..

Hem, good points about the perception of weakness. In my freshman year, it was pretty rough with the sophmores bulling us for the occasional laugh and all those heavy bags. It took me almost half the year to adjust and get through it. There's no way to prepare for it other than to learn and brace yourself. I think there's also some animosity b/w schools. Like one group of kids would 'trash talk' another for going to a particular school over another.

For me, I had a friend I knew for all of the grades up to the 8th. After we went to separate HSs, we never spoke to each other again as if we never even existed. Even one time I saw him on the bus, he didn't even want to tolerate a small conversation. So yeah, I wasn't too worried about the Public school kids compared to kids from other private schools and even people in my own school - people I thought I could call 'friends' had no problems 'throwing me under the bus'. I'm just glad hs was over years ago, I don't ever want to relive that shit again.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Speaking about heavy bags, My back has never been the same after so many constant days of having to carry my heavy books with me....

In my school, they let us leave the heavy textbooks at home or in class...

US History and AP Psych (AP Psych is a college one) textbooks, we leave at home and do notes on the board in class (US History is so easy, so I don't copy)..

English we leave in class... My Trig textbook isn't very heavy.. Most of my bookbag is clothes lmao !

But I have back problems due to a car accident 3 years ago, so if I forget a textbook or have no room for a certain book, I get leeway on the assignment or w/e.

Speaking about heavy bags, My back has never been the same after so many constant days of having to carry my heavy books with me....

US History and AP Psych (AP Psych is a college one) textbooks, we leave at home and do notes on the board in class (US History is so easy, so I don't copy)..

English we leave in class... My Trig textbook isn't very heavy.. Most of my bookbag is clothes lmao !

But I have back problems due to a car accident 3 years ago, so if I forget a textbook or have no room for a certain book, I get leeway on the assignment or w/e.

For me, I made heavy use of the photocopier machine from late in my freshman year and onwards. Mainly I used it for my history textbooks and anytime I had a heavy class workload. It not only made my weight lighter, but it was such a relief to not have so many damn books home at the same time. Edited by Grand Concourse

For me, I made heavy use of the photocopier machine from late in my freshman year and onwards. Mainly I used it for my history textbooks and anytime I had a heavy class workload. It not only made my weight lighter, but it was such a relief to not have so many damn books home at the same time.

I actually get a lot of handouts as well. Haven't had need for a photocopier yet in 3 years though, guess because textbooks aren't used so much now

Though I usually don't need to, I mainly carry my textbooks so I can get a start on my new work, or catch up on my current work when the situation allows it. Admittingly, it's a real PITA to carry your stuff, walk all day, with a bit of running factored in.

PETA's attack on Pokemon is just plain rediculous... Even if this was a bad game and so called "animal abuse" there's a reason pokemon faint, not die... So they take it upon themselves to make Pokemon "Black and Blue version Link here... It took them 16 years to realize it (it's a stupid accusation)

dumbheads

PETA's attack on Pokemon is just plain rediculous... Even if this was a bad game and so called "animal abuse" there's a reason pokemon faint, not die... So they take it upon themselves to make Pokemon "Black and Blue version Link here... It took them 16 years to realize it (it's a stupid accusation)

dumbheads

Look at this website that I stumbled upon 5 years ago. You'll laugh at it and not hate it. :P

Their website is pathetic. If Pokemon did promote "animal abuse", then the franchise would've died many years ago, and parents would've complained about it, which never happened. Too bad Pokemon remains popular (though not like before).

I'm still trying to remember what made my bookbag heavy at times. I mean, I never brought any textbooks back and forth (for middle & high school, we just left them home), and all I remember having was a binder back in middle school. I think I might've had some extra notebooks on top of it, and the little things added up.

Then in high school, I eventually figured that since I wasn't taking notes (back in middle school, we sometimes had "notebook checks" and "notebook tests"), I might as well cut back on the number of books I carry. So then I ended up just carrying a couple of notebooks and some folders, and my bookbag is pretty light now.

For me, I made heavy use of the photocopier machine from late in my freshman year and onwards. Mainly I used it for my history textbooks and anytime I had a heavy class workload. It not only made my weight lighter, but it was such a relief to not have so many damn books home at the same time.

I'm still trying to remember what made my bookbag heavy at times. I mean, I never brought any textbooks back and forth (for middle & high school, we just left them home), and all I remember having was a binder back in middle school. I think I might've had some extra notebooks on top of it, and the little things added up.

Then in high school, I eventually figured that since I wasn't taking notes (back in middle school, we sometimes had "notebook checks" and "notebook tests"), I might as well cut back on the number of books I carry. So then I ended up just carrying a couple of notebooks and some folders, and my bookbag is pretty light now.

You guys are so lucky... During my school days, they'll start b---hing about my books if I left it at home... I couldn't leave my stuff in my desk because all my classes had a bunch of thieves... Some of my stuff would disappear if I left my stuff at my desk... I had to carry about 4 heavy textbooks every day...

Every few months, my bookbag's straps would start to rip causing me to by new bags...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

Nope... None of my schools (Elementary, MS and HS) had lockers....
Rant time!

There was a time when we boys had a choice to pick a locker for one entire semester, for phys ed at least. After the semester ended, we had to find another one for the next semester, and the following school year. That changed when i was a senior: we had to use any locker available for that particular day only. That meant, leave your stuff, they'll go in the trash. Leave your lock, it'll be clipped. Reason why it happened; horseshit fights in the boys locker room.

Edited by IRT Bronx Express

Rant time!

There was a time when we boys had a choice to pick a locker for one entire semester, for phys ed at least. After the semester ended, we had to find another one for the next semester, and the following school year. That changed when i was a senior: we had to use any locker available for that particular day only. That meant, leave your stuff, they'll go in the trash. Leave your lock, it'll be clipped. Reason why it happened; horseshit fights in the boys locker room.

Damn that's crazy... Even for phys ed, we didn't have lockers lol...

For my phys ed classes, we used the lockers just for the duration of the class and then took our stuff back to our own lockers. In my freshman year, I had history every day as 5th period and my PE class was 3rd and 4th periods, which meant 10 min to run up the stairs from the basement to the 3rd floor and some of the times classes ended a little late. I was glad the next 3 years PE was either 1&2 or 7&8th periods.