Changes on the 7 Av Line this Summer?

Abba

(1) train back to New Lots? Oh boy 9/11 Reborn!

(3) goes to 14th Street, (2) via Local and nothing going to South Ferry? Maybe the (5)/(6) via Loop?

Tho i wounder if the (1) would split with Livonia and the (3) sticks with the 148th yd?

Man if this happens biy will this get interesting...

I remember a G/O which sent the (3) up to 137 Street, the (1) and (3) shared cars. The (1) borrowed some of the (3)s cars and vice versa.

That G/O was related to the 1998 Lenox Avenue Rehab from 135th to 110th St, which couldn't take the (3) since the (2) ran peak direction to the Bronx and downtown via the (5) Lex and then changed the other way as time went. MCH Shuttle buses L1, L2, L3 (L4 i think) allowed connection between the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6), tho depending where. Not direct connection between (1) and (4)(5)(6) but rather off the (2)(3). Now that i remember, and that was a weird but cool g/o..

I am not surprised too much at all that this is occuring again because it was in the news from last year on "In Transit" on NY1 that the (1) will be blocked off south of Chambers to finish work on WTC, so it has been official since last year.

(1) to New Lots Avenue Local

(2) to Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College Local

(3) to 14th Street Express

Shuttle Buses between Chambers Street and South Ferry

While work is being done at Cortlandt Street.

The (1) is going to have a nice long run with an elevated section at the beginning and end for railfans.

The (R)(W) at Whitehall might become popular with Ferry riders temporarily.

If this does end up happening, I will only have one thing to complain about: during the post-9/11 period, (1) trains were so frequent that trains backed up until before Pennsylvania Av downtown (especially during the post AM rush, when (2)s, (4)s, and (5)s went into Livonia Yard). It always took forever to get to Van Siclen even. But, Livonia and Eastern Pkwy will enjoy the increased service if it does end up happening; we're just not going to get used to the bunching that does sometime happen. If this happens, I can convince my family to start taking the Manhattan Bridge to bypass Lower Manhattan to speed their trip and avoid the local.

Several things:

•would this be a 24/7 closure during WTC work?

•If the loop is even able to be reopened, would the (MTA) do it?

(1) service should run a little less frequently to avoid congestion during the work

•agreed with Grand Concourse, the (4)/(5) and (6) all running b/t Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green during the day would cause unnecessary delays. If anything, the (W) should run weekends with the (N) via express, and (6) to the loop or (R) from Bay Ridge to Times Sq late nights and maybe (5) to the loop weekends

•If only 14th and chambers had more switches...

I still think maybe they should have the 2 end at 14th St and keep the 3 to New Lots, while the 1 is sent to Flatbush. At least then you can cut the 2 so it won't be all local from 241st to Flatbush Av. The 3 is short enough by not having to go to the Bronx, so it should still run to Brooklyn.

To make this work: have the 1 and 2 swap fleets for the time being till the work is done.

What they were supposed to do for the initial reopening after the tunnel was rebuilt was build a switch south of Chambers wherever the local tracks run next to each other again, so the (1) could run normally to the local track and then relay. Would have saved all of this headache. I never heard why that was dropped.

Yes, the South Ferry Branch will be shut down.

No, there will not be a service pattern similar to that of 9/11. There will be a very different service pattern.

The crossover was dropped because the construction involved would have shut down the line for longer than the proposed closure. It also would have cost LOTS of money.

Archived