Routes to be eliminated

aemoreira81

IMO they should get rid of routes that already have other routes paralleling them but not stopping at the first route's stops.

Examples

Q21 cut, some or all Q53s run local

QM3 merged with X51, either the QM2 or QM2A runs local along Northern Blvd. west of Main St. (whichever one is used less)

BxM7A cut, replaced with the BxM7 running local after White Plains Road

(or at least reducing hours on these routes)

The above ideas don't strand riders, but they just make some routes local to add some travel time to the trip. This would minimize the inconvenience to people. Also, some lines could be cut and merged if there are other lines directly paralleling them, i.e. B2 cut, B100 and B31 merged.

I also think that quite a few express buses basically follow subway lines and could have their hours reduced or even eliminated. Riders would just have to take the subway to their destination. Some examples of buses that could have their hours reduced/cut would be the BxM4A, Bx1 OR Bx2 Limited (not both since Grand Concourse stations aren't ADA compliant), X29, BM3 and BM4.

HELL NO

Sorry but thats just a stupid idea. you take the Bx11 away from the people that need it over on Woodycrest, Nelson Ave, 168st, Ogden Area? NO GO! why take service away from one area to serve another thats not as busy!?

You don't get it. The Bx11 still runs its normal route between Southern Blvd and Ogden Av. It's AFTER Ogden Avenue where it changes. The route would continue on 168th St, then turns at 167th St, right on Sedgwick Av, terminates at River Park Towers, and right on Undercliff before returning to Sedgwick and 167th.

The best thing about the Bx11 to River Park Towers is the frequency of buses for Morris Heights riders (every 6-7 mins at rush hrs as opposed to every 12-15 currently on the Bx18).

IMO they should get rid of routes that already have other routes paralleling them but not stopping at the first route's stops.

Examples

QM3 merged with X51, either the QM2 or QM2A runs local along Northern Blvd. west of Main St. (whichever one is used less)

The above ideas don't strand riders, but they just make some routes local to add some travel time to the trip. This would minimize the inconvenience to people. Also, some lines could be cut and merged if there are other lines directly paralleling them, i.e. B2 cut, B100 and B31 merged.

I also think that quite a few express buses basically follow subway lines and could have their hours reduced or even eliminated. Riders would just have to take the subway to their destination. Some examples of buses that could have their hours reduced/cut would be the BxM4A, Bx1 OR Bx2 Limited (not both since Grand Concourse stations aren't ADA compliant), X29, BM3 and BM4.

Good Post... I'll try to follow suit...

Yeh, Woodhaven riders know how good they got it, in terms of bus service, compared to other areas in the outerboroughs... the number of riders that take the Q53 out of the Rockaways, compared to the Q21, is so distinguishable, it's not even funny... The Q11 has always been a mainstay along the blvd....

I mean, it's amazing on how some routes are being spared (not even considered) in these supposed cuts (which are barely used)... and you look at the routes that are supposed to get cut, and you think to yourself, wtf... especially given the abundance of people that use the service(s)....

With the whole B2/B31/B100 thing... how do you merge them though? which one do you cut? (well, the MTA decided it'd be the B2 no longer running on sundays)...

with the B100, there's the mill basin/mill island (w/e it's called now) riders... B31 got gerritsen beach riders, and the B2... well, it's not really a "unique" riderbase on that route, like 95 out of 100 percent of the time, a passenger is traveling to one of its terminals... Anyway, w/ the B2 not running on sunday, marine park (I guess you can call that area) are stuck w/ the B100, which have 1/2 hour to 45 min. headways.... w/e the number is, it's pretty high....

the Qm2a is just a part time (rush hour) version of the Qm2 that runs along Willets pt. to get to Bay Terrace... it's lesser used/prevalent than the Qm2, although it's not empty either... knowin what I've noticed on the many times I've taken the Qm2, personally I think the 2a should be eliminated, and the Qm2 take this routing:

- current Qm2a routing to Willets pt/francis lewis... turn on francis lewis... turn on 160th... up 160th, to current Qm2 routing... current Qm2 routing, to 23rd av... continuing on 23rd av to current Qm2a terminal.... this would allow for more passengers/trip....I don't think this would add anything more than 10 mins. per run....

...far as the Qm3/X51, I don't know how good (or bad) the riderships are on either those routes... I've heard, on the qm3 is pretty bad... So I can't say w/ any type of, how can I say, confidence... that merging the two routes would yield any benefit....

final thing... with the Bxm7/a... 7a gets more riders than people think... the first stop of the 7a (Bx Bound) is WPR... so in essence, you're suggesting merging those routes.....

IMO, merging those two routes I think would be not too good an idea.... unless you want people standing to get to co-op city (think, x1 during the PM rush, + midday/evening hrs on saturdays)... that's an easy addition of an added 15 min. commute for co-op riders.... I do agree w/ hrs. being reduced on bxm7's though....

You don't get it. The Bx11 still runs its normal route between Southern Blvd and Ogden Av. It's AFTER Ogden Avenue where it changes. The route would continue on 168th St, then turns at 167th St, right on Sedgwick Av, terminates at River Park Towers, and right on Undercliff before returning to Sedgwick and 167th.

The best thing about the Bx11 to River Park Towers is the frequency of buses for Morris Heights riders (every 6-7 mins at rush hrs as opposed to every 12-15 currently on the Bx18).

That would do for me. I get off at Undercliff Ave & 174st. There is still no service along Madcombs RD. The Bx18 also gets jammed in crowds during rush hours:mad:

That would do for me. I get off at Undercliff Ave & 174st. There is still no service along Madcombs RD. The Bx18 also gets jammed in crowds during rush hours:mad:

I know that the Bx18 has been jam packed in the rush hours, mainly due to its frequency. But with the Bx11's headways, you would have an improved difference (especially during off-peak hours when the Bx18 runs every half-hour).

With the whole B2/B31/B100 thing... how do you merge them though? which one do you cut? (well, the MTA decided it'd be the B2 no longer running on sundays)...

with the B100, there's the mill basin/mill island (w/e it's called now) riders... B31 got gerritsen beach riders, and the B2... well, it's not really a "unique" riderbase on that route, like 95 out of 100 percent of the time, a passenger is traveling to one of its terminals... Anyway, w/ the B2 not running on sunday, marine park (I guess you can call that area) are stuck w/ the B100, which have 1/2 hour to 45 min. headways.... w/e the number is, it's pretty high....

...far as the Qm3/X51, I don't know how good (or bad) the riderships are on either those routes... I've heard, on the qm3 is pretty bad... So I can't say w/ any type of, how can I say, confidence... that merging the two routes would yield any benefit....

final thing... with the Bxm7/a... 7a gets more riders than people think... the first stop of the 7a (Bx Bound) is WPR... so in essence, you're suggesting merging those routes.....

IMO, merging those two routes I think would be not too good an idea.... unless you want people standing to get to co-op city (think, x1 during the PM rush, + midday/evening hrs on saturdays)... that's an easy addition of an added 15 min. commute for co-op riders.... I do agree w/ hrs. being reduced on bxm7's though....

The B2 would be cut, while the B100 would be merged with the B31. The B100 would follow its normal route from Mill Basin to Kings Highway, and when it gets to Kings Highway it would go down to Avenue R and turn along the B31 route instead of turning on Quentin Road.

The QM3 has 6 trips a day (3 in the AM, 3 in the PM) so merging it with the X51 wouldn't have a big impact on the QM3 riders.

I was talking about the merging of the routes, basically, so you're right. I'm not familiar with the ridership patterns in the Bronx so I'll take you word for it on the matter.

The B2 would be cut, while the B100 would be merged with the B31. The B100 would follow its normal route from Mill Basin to Kings Highway, and when it gets to Kings Highway it would go down to Avenue R and turn along the B31 route instead of turning on Quentin Road.

I've given up on thinking of/suggesting ideas on how to consolidate service b/w the aforementioned routes.... I asked b/c I wanted to see what your thought process/ line of thinking on the matter, was...

While I don't necessarily agree on cutting the B2 outright, I think its headways can be reduced, add more runs to the B100 (especially on weekends), and keep headways on the B31 as they currently are (except, get rid of those hawks on that route, if they still exist)...

I know that the Bx18 has been jam packed in the rush hours, mainly due to its frequency. But with the Bx11's headways, you would have an improved difference (especially during off-peak hours when the Bx18 runs every half-hour).

I have a question... since you're more familiar w/ the routes in that part of the Bronx...

Despite what the timetables may show, which, out of the Bx11 or the Bx35, would you say has better headways, or arrives more frequently? or, is more... reliable?

I have a question... since you're more familiar w/ the routes in that part of the Bronx...

Despite what the timetables may show, which, out of the Bx11 or the Bx35, would you say has better headways, or arrives more frequently? or, is more... reliable?

By a slight margin, it's the Bx35. However, the Bx35 gets stuck often by the traffic along 181st Street in Manhattan. This is the main reason why I have the Bx11 rerouted to River Park Towers rather than any other route, for improving the Bx11's performance.

i still think thats stupid!!! but whats worse about that , i use the 11 and now you gave me a extra transfer! what happened to Washington hts?!?!?!

The Bx27 already goes to Southern Blvd/West Farms rd, late nights it cuts to Soundviews Ave/Westchester..

Im confused on the Bx26 with Bx29.. You mean replace the Bx29 and have the Bx26 re-route to City Island via Pelham Bay Pk IRT Station?

The Bx27 currently stops going at 8 PM; IMO, it should be run until midnight.

As for the Bx29, it would be replaced with at extended Bx26.

The problem with the Bx18 (it was proposed for elimination in 1995 and escaped the ax) is that while it's just 4 blocks away to University Avenue, it's 4 blocks and about 100 feet in elevation.

For express routes, use loading guidelines.

Examples

The problem with cutting any service on Woodhaven Boulevard is that you would be leaving passengers behind, which is why the Q53 was added as a Limited Stop service to begin with.

i still think thats stupid!!! but whats worse about that , i use the 11 and now you gave me a extra transfer! what happened to Washington hts?!?!?!

Easy, you transfer at Edward Grant Hwy for the Bx35 or at Ogden Av to the Bx13. The bad part about this cut is that people living and driving along 181st St complain that buses are causing traffic to that area. People spend 20 minutes driving from Amsterdam to Fort Washington Avs.

Easy, you transfer at Edward Grant Hwy for the Bx35 or at Ogden Av to the Bx13. The bad part about this cut is that people living and driving along 181st St complain that buses are causing traffic to that area. People spend 20 minutes driving from Amsterdam to Fort Washington Avs.

im sorry, but all my life i been taking either the Bx11 and the Bx35 from Webster ave to 181 st and both of those lines are important to people (even thou their whole route they are 4 to 5 blocks apart!) sorry kiddo. "your idea just plan ol suck its no good, you'll never hear nobody say they like that in the hood!"

I would only merge them during evenings and weekends.

Bx11 is a lot frequent compared to the Bx35 even tho the 35 runs 24/7

The Bx27 currently stops going at 8 PM; IMO, it should be run until midnight.

As for the Bx29, it would be replaced with at extended Bx26.

The problem with the Bx18 (it was proposed for elimination in 1995 and escaped the ax) is that while it's just 4 blocks away to University Avenue, it's 4 blocks and about 100 feet in elevation.

For express routes, use loading guidelines.

Why not just cut the Bx18 and have the Bx40 or Bx42 replace it via Undercliff/Sedgwick aves.

Bx18 sounds like M18.. Both short a$$ routes..

For Bx27, i didnt know it ran till 8pm didnt it ran before till midnight?

The problem with cutting any service on Woodhaven Boulevard is that you would be leaving passengers behind, which is why the Q53 was added as a Limited Stop service to begin with.

yep... The "original" Q53 made no stops along woodhaven.... people were being left behind then b/c Q11's were so dam crowded, and nothing supplemented (or "helped") it...

later adding stops along Woodhaven on the Q53 (and re-routing it off 63rd drive), and extending Q21's Queens blvd along w/ the Q11 made things better in that regard...

By a slight margin, it's the Bx35. However, the Bx35 gets stuck often by the traffic along 181st Street in Manhattan. This is the main reason why I have the Bx11 rerouted to River Park Towers rather than any other route, for improving the Bx11's performance.

What I should have asked is, which route takes longer from end to end, since they share both terminals....

While I think one less route should travel over the GWB into Wash. Hgts., I guess what I'm tryna figure out is, what makes one of the routes in question (Bx11/35) a better "candidate" for an extension elsewhere? or simply, remaining in the bronx, and no longer traveling over the bridge into manhattan...

Here's what I think should be done.

B31- Left alone.

B2/B100- Consolidated into one route. B100 follows B2 route from Kings Highway (:P(Q) to Av U & Flatbush, then goes east on Av U to Mill Av, then regular route.

I agree with leaving the b31 'alone.' However late night ridership on the B31 is dead and imo should not run between 1am-5am daily.

Why not just cut the Bx18 and have the Bx40 or Bx42 replace it via Undercliff/Sedgwick aves.

Bx18 sounds like M18.. Both short a$$ routes..

For Bx27, i didnt know it ran till 8pm didnt it ran before till midnight?

The Bx40/42 use artics. This, along with constant double-parking on Undercliff would result in more delays for the Bx40/42. In addition, I heard when this proposal was first floated around, merchants on 170th Street did not want to lose potential Morris Heights customers to Burnside Avenue's shopping strip.

• 3 years later...

I guess the  2010 service cut wasnt so bad after reading this    web.archive.org/web/20090313151601/mta.info/mta/09/section2.pdf

and all other mta agency web.archive.org/web/20090313141233/mta.info/mta/09

So?

Archived