Broken bus fare machines

Kingsbridge Bus

I was wondering about the bus fare machines that are broken. Why is (MTA) allowing B/o's to drive buses with a broken fare machine? Aren't there other buses at the depot that has a working fare machine? The (MTA) is loosing lots of money doing this. People are getting on for free & this bus can be giving rides to 500 people in the entire day for free. Stopping this will not only get (MTA) lots of money back but will also give mechanics the time to fix these machines.:)

I was wondering about the bus fare machines that are broken. Why is (MTA) allowing B/o's to drive buses with a broken fare machine? Aren't there other buses at the depot that has a working fare machine? The (MTA) is loosing lots of money doing this. People are getting on for free & this bus can be giving rides to 500 people in the entire day for free. Stopping this will not only get (MTA) lots of money back but will also give mechanics the time to fix these machines.:)

Well it takes too much time to bring the broken bus to the depot and pick out a new bus that works. Also people whoare getting on the but without paying are getting NOTHING for free. What about all the times you swipe yor card when you have 1 fare left and yet it takes the money off, says swipe again then next swipe says insufficient fare? What about all the times people are supposed to get their free transfers yet it still takes money off of your card? Nothing is for free, somehow you paid for the ride already or will in the future..

By the way the proper spelling is losing not loosing.

Well it takes too much time to bring the broken bus to the depot and pick out a new bus that works. Also people whoare getting on the but without paying are getting NOTHING for free. What about all the times you swipe yor card when you have 1 fare left and yet it takes the money off, says swipe again then next swipe says insufficient fare? What about all the times people are supposed to get their free transfers yet it still takes money off of your card? Nothing is for free, somehow you paid for the ride already or will in the future..

By the way the proper spelling is loosing not losing.

I mean when the machines are broken & everyone gets on the bus for free

Like I said, you think you are getting on the bus for free but in reality you are overpaying in one way or another so you are not really getting anything for free.
What Messino is saying basically is that for all the free rides that are taking place initially due to a brokenbox,will cost us later when the(MTA) is in another fiscal crisis and we end up paying it through fare hikes and turnstiles that rip your card off.:tdown:

What Messino is saying basically is that for all the free rides that are taking place initially due to a brokenbox,will cost us later when the(MTA) is in another fiscal crisis and we end up paying it through fare hikes and turnstiles that rip your card off.:tdown:

Yup

So I think we should notify (MTA) because this can stop fare hikes & service cuts. It's sad that kids are paying for what others did to (MTA) or actualy what (MTA) did to theirselves.

Once again, the MTA is not responsible for Student Metrocards. It's the State of New York and the City of New York that are responsible. They are the ones cutting funding for the program, not the MTA. Second, like Messino said, the fareboxes get broken once they are on the road. They aren't leaving the depots broken.

Once again, the MTA is not responsible for Student Metrocards. It's the State of New York and the City of New York that are responsible. They are the ones cutting funding for the program, not the MTA. Second, like Messino said, the fareboxes get broken once they are on the road. They aren't leaving the depots broken.

I did pull out a bus on two different trips with broken fare boxes straight from the depot. Both times this was the only bus available, and i was told to pull out

I still think something was fishy this past saturday when I boarded two consecutive buses w/ papers stuck in the metrocard slot of the fare boxes... It was on the Bx36, and on the Bx14 (a 1/2 hour after I got off that 36)...

If it matters any, the bus numbers were 7754 & 4058, respectively....

I did pull out a bus on two different trips with broken fare boxes straight from the depot. Both times this was the only bus available, and i was told to pull out

Been there, done that too. MTA says, with MetroCard we go our monies anyway, so basically they don't care..........

To all: The rule is, when the farebox is broken while in customer service (was working when bus left depot), the driver suppose to call command center, and they suppose to get the bus off the road. During rush hour, you ain't getting another bus, and you ain't getting out of driving in passenger service either. Road dispatcher will tell you to keep it moving, and yes they actually don'y want you calling it in, as the dispatcher doesn't want to work finding you another bus, and having you and another driver swap. They have to look at their paperwork, find a good time, find a good spot, find a good bus, find who goes on lunch, etc.........

I loved when I got a bus with a broken farebox. Once I got two different buses like that in one day. That was a great day.........

So I think we should notify (MTA) because this can stop fare hikes & service cuts. It's sad that kids are paying for what others did to (MTA) or actualy what (MTA) did to theirselves.
I don't mean to talk i'll of anyone or agency but people have been getting ripped off by the farebox lately I have been told by numerous customers that they had a transfer on the card and the machine took an additional $2.25

And you'll be the 1st one to complain that the bus was 5 mins late but your getting a free ride! The MTA is there to provide a service most ppl have unlimited or use transfers so out of 50 ppl maybe 10 have cash cards. The main thing is NOT TO DELAY SERVICE! Some guys break FB some guys are told to p/o without the FB because it might be a school trip or 1 trip and pull in! Big Deal the bus has no FB does it bother you that much?

For a forum of bus fans,you guys seem to be B/O haters. Why are you crying about getting a free ride? When they have a fare system with no moving parts there will never be a free ride ever again. Just think they design these fare boxes and test them on buses that drive on a glass smooth racetrack or test them in a machine that simulates rough road conditions. When they get to the Big Apple,not only the greatest city in the world but a city with some pretty harsh road conditions,then the real test begins. You can't predict how something will hold up. Besides it's around 15 years since the Metro card was introduced and the fare box is still the same.

Like stated before The MTA would rather keep service normal for YOU and lose the fare of the trip or 2. As far as the MTA losing money, 7 out of 10 people have unlimited/transit check metrocards. The last 3 of the 10 have pay per ride 2 of them have transfers on their card or are transferring to another bus or train. So ultimately the MTA not losing as much as you think.

Archived