Idea: The Abandoned LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch

TransitGuy

Perfectly said.

Although it is once a LIRR line, it would make the most sense as a subway line, as its southern portion is a subway line now. Plus the northern end is close to existing subway lines. In addition, if it gets built, it will be incorporated to the subway fare structure, which is considerably cheaper to the LIRR fare structure, locals will be able to benefit.

Exactly. Just imagine that the whole line from Whitepot Junction south (including all the Rockaway business...the (A) will run to Lefferts only) was reclaimed by the LIRR. It would cost $8-10 to ride from NYP to Far Rock while under a subway line it would be the flat $2 (or whatever it's going up to).

The folks who use the (A) would NOT be pleased. Not to mention that the LIRR views all its zone 1 stations (except NYP, FBA, and Jamaica) to be burdens on its existence.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. Just imagine that the whole line from Whitepot Junction south (including all the Rockaway business...the (A) will run to Lefferts only) was reclaimed by the LIRR. It would cost $8-10 to ride from NYP to Far Rock while under a subway line it would be the flat $2 (or whatever it's going up to).

The folks who use the (A) would NOT be pleased. Not to mention that the LIRR views all its zone 1 stations (except NYP, FBA, and Jamaica) to be burdens on its existence.

Plus it's flexible via the subway, you can go to more places intramurally on the subway than on the LIRR.

And regarding a LRT, it would not offer a one-seat ride to Midtown or Lower Manhattan. It would be cheaper, but in the long run, not cost efficient. Passengers must have to transfer somewhere along the line to the subway.

Guys i agree 100% that this area aka the old Rockawy Beach branch of the LIRR should be reborn. I think that area should be a 'light rail' line. Good topic Transit Guy.

I was a newspaper reporter for one of the Queens local community papers around 1998-99 when the Port Authority was making a final decison on where to bulid the 'airtrain.' The final two choices was either the Rockaway Beach line or the current Airtrain line along the Van Wyck Expressway. Finally due to strong oppsition from homeowners/businesses near the Rockaway Beach line, the PA decided to bulid it along the Van Wyck.

Guys you underestimate the NIMBYS along Rockaway Beach tracks in Woodhaven and Ozone Park areas. They the reason nothing has been bulit there since the LIRR closed that line.

Until you change their minds, nothing will ever be bulit there. IMO i think only a 'light rail' is the only thing that could be ever bulit along the Rockaway Beach line.

Something the NIMBYs don't realize is the line was never abandonded.

Correct, just de-activated. I think LIRR should run there, have a shuttle type setup as to keep crewing to a minimum and scheduling flexible, and not having to assign blocks for NYP or GCT. Jersey ave (NJT) trains have similar schedule blocks to what would work with the LIRR, but sincee it wouldn't be cutting across the main thoroughfare, or going all the way to the main terminal(s), you could have much more frequent service.

- A

You let the locals decide and it's all nimby nimby nimby.

Yet if you built it, guess who will be patronizing said service. Here's a hint: it won't be the green martian people.

I mean let them choose what kinda service, and what style stations. :cool:

- A

Correct, just de-activated. I think LIRR should run there, have a shuttle type setup as to keep crewing to a minimum and scheduling flexible, and not having to assign blocks for NYP or GCT. Jersey ave (NJT) trains have similar schedule blocks to what would work with the LIRR, but sincee it wouldn't be cutting across the main thoroughfare, or going all the way to the main terminal(s), you could have much more frequent service.

- A

But if the locals have a choice between subway and LIRR, and no other (not even no-build), will they opt for a subway or a LIRR service?

i say the would go with a subway because its cheaper tha lirr tickets.

Not only that, a great of the line is already made into subway service. The northern end could be connected to the existing system, as it was meant in the 2nd System. As part of the subway system, new customers can have greater access to different parts of the city by subway.

Not necessarily. Subway service to the Rockaways is abysmal. Also, people in Rockaway Park are snooty enough to pay the extra money for the LIRR.

However, does the LIRR take them everywhere around the city? Most likely at some point they would have to switch to the subway. Say, does the LIRR go to Lower Manhattan?

The ROW belongs to the LIRR ( and by extension the (MTA)), and is not abandoned but unused. Legally I think the (MTA) can run subway, light rail, railroad,or even trolley service if they want and the NIMBY crowd can't do anything but cry. The ROW existed before the houses or business ventures were built so shame on them!

The ROW belongs to the LIRR ( and by extension the (MTA)), and is not abandoned but unused. Legally I think the (MTA) can run subway, light rail, railroad,or even trolley service if they want and the NIMBY crowd can't do anything but cry. The ROW existed before the houses or business ventures were built so shame on them!

The NIMBYs can cry all they want, but if rapid transit (regardless of whatever the heck it will be) is implemented and is successful along the stretch, they won't be complaining.

Archived