City bus drivers just 6th highest paid in country, with senior drivers making $27.99

Harry

NYC transit drivers may face the worst traffic in the country, but they don't earn the top dollar for the job.

The drivers are the sixth-highest paid by transit agencies across the country, according to one ranking.

Bus operators in Boston are at the front of the line, earning up to $30.18 an hour, followed by drivers in San Jose, Calif., Chicago, Seattle and Rockville, Md.

NYC Transit pays its more senior drivers $27.99 an hour, according to a ranking by John A. Dash & Associates, a transit research firm.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/09/2010-03-09_city_bus_drivers_pay_lags_nationally.html#ixzz0hgTQ7ctP

post-1-133288581647_thumb.jpg

Now with the new contract top base pay should be near $30.00hr. I figure in 3 years? How much your run pays and how much OT you work is the main thing though. Some senior B/O's are making $80k+ yr. It only takes 3 years to reach top pay.

The starting pay should be no less then $22.00 hr. It was $18.84hr before the new contract was put in place. I did notice that in Boston they hire through applications rather then from an exam.

P/T B/O $19.62hr after training($10.00hr). Boston has a high cost of living, but still that is quite a spread. $2.19hr difference.

(T)op pay ain't that bad just as long as you pull in (E)nough (H)ours because that's the whole Idea ((H)ours) and As A Bus Op we could pull in (3) Figures

If you know how to Pick.

When I first started at <Q>ueens (S)urface,I was only pulling in 15 and change but make no (M)istake about it ,If your (T)hirsty (E)nough ,You'll be o.k. (K)<R>

Now with the new contract top base pay should be near $30.00hr. I figure in 3 years? How much your run pays and how much OT you work is the main thing though. Some senior B/O's are making $80k+ yr. It only takes 3 years to reach top pay.

The starting pay should be no less then $22.00 hr. It was $18.84hr before the new contract was put in place. I did notice that in Boston they hire through applications rather then from an exam.

P/T B/O $19.62hr after training($10.00hr). Boston has a high cost of living, but still that is quite a spread. $2.19hr difference.

MTA B/O starting pay is 19.5975 or 19.60 for easier adding and subtracting :P

mm, get out, I knew MTA B/Os were getting paid but I didn't imagine like that. Damn a brother might have a career change to something he's always wanted to do....

BTW, the operator in that picture looks familiar. I think he's the B/O who drove 3100 during the holidays this past year. DAMN Good operator I must say cause he tore 42nd Street a new @$$ with that bus!

at one time when i was younger, i wanted to drive a bus........forget that now.....that job is highly stressful, and to know you arent even the top paid in the us? you've got to be kidding..........good money, but you earn every penny of it...........

the union has to take some blame, because they have lost traction in regards to pay for its employees for years.........taking pennies as raises hasnt helped.........

that job is highly stressful, and to know you arent even the top paid in the us? you've got to be kidding..........good money, but you earn every penny of it.

I agree. Lots of stress.I've always thought it's the toughest job in NYCT(IMO). I don't think you could pay me enough money to drive some of those routes. At the least I think they should get the same pay as Motormen.

So runs pay on top of hourly salary? I did the math for someone who only works 8 hours-a-day for 5 days a week, and that only adds up to about $53,000 a year. Where's the other income? Does that run pay hourly or a set amount? Also, does it pay more if it's a high ridership route vs. a low one (e.g. Q85 v. Q42)?

So runs pay on top of hourly salary? I did the math for someone who only works 8 hours-a-day for 5 days a week, and that only adds up to about $53,000 a year. Where's the other income? Does that run pay hourly or a set amount? Also, does it pay more if it's a high ridership route vs. a low one (e.g. Q85 v. Q42)?

The other income comes from night differential and overtime.

m7zanr160's:

No, the run pay isn't on top of a hourly salary. Lets say a run pays 12 hrs,X hourly rate($27.99)=$335.88 daily(X)5 days=$1,679.44 weekly=$87,000+ yr, this is on the high end, B/O's with a lot of time on and very high seniority.

Some runs pay 8.15 hrs. They have to guarantee you minimum 40 hrs a week(union rule).

I don't think it makes a difference if it is a high or lower ridership route. What matters is how much the run pays.

B/O's:

**What is the shape board? what is a "tripper"...a school run?..thanks**

NYC transit drivers may face the worst traffic in the country, but they don't earn the top dollar for the job.

The drivers are the sixth-highest paid by transit agencies across the country, according to one ranking.

Bus operators in Boston are at the front of the line, earning up to $30.18 an hour, followed by drivers in San Jose, Calif., Chicago, Seattle and Rockville, Md.

NYC Transit pays its more senior drivers $27.99 an hour, according to a ranking by John A. Dash & Associates, a transit research firm.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/09/2010-03-09_city_bus_drivers_pay_lags_nationally.html#ixzz0hgTQ7ctP

I been looking for list of all 50 states top pay for Bus Operator and where i work for HART in Tampa,Florida is $20.00 an hours & getting 3% for next 4 years starting Oct,2010 to Sept, 2013 that will be $22.52 an hours but Bus Operator getting alot of O.T.

David:cool:

Ha, in all your faces who think MTA drivers are overpaid. Dealing with the worst traffic, attitudes of other douchebags on the road, cyclist who don't care where they ride, people who cross without looking, cabs, and idiot supervisors who foget what driving a bus in NYC is truly about, and what it truly takes.........

at one time when i was younger, i wanted to drive a bus........forget that now.....that job is highly stressful, and to know you arent even the top paid in the us? you've got to be kidding..........good money, but you earn every penny of it...........

I wanted to also, and did it, and miss it a little. Then I think of that road rage I never had before, but got after driving buses, and motorcoaches around the NYC area, and in NYC, I am glad I am here. This career path is boring as boring can get, but it's easy and usually unstressful (until RCC gets on ones nerve with their stupid questions at times.........)

Don't forget, day 1 I apologized to my trainer, after seeing what they deal with. I flapped off at the gums, how I was happy to be there, and for the things I use to say before I got that position (like they should be happy, etc......) MTA B/O deserve more that us T/O's get (yeah I said it). B/O should start at $30hr, and go to $35hr and after ten stressful years one should get $40hr, to deal with the daily BS..........

Ha, in all your faces who think MTA drivers are overpaid. Dealing with the worst traffic, attitudes of other douchebags on the road, cyclist who don't care where they ride, people who cross without looking, cabs, and idiot supervisors who foget what driving a bus in NYC is truly about, and what it truly takes.........

I wanted to also, and did it, and miss it a little. Then I think of that road rage I never had before, but got after driving buses, and motorcoaches around the NYC area, and in NYC, I am glad I am here. This career path is boring as boring can get, but it's easy and usually unstressful (until RCC gets on ones nerve with their stupid questions at times.........)

Don't forget, day 1 I apologized to my trainer, after seeing what they deal with. I flapped off at the gums, how I was happy to be there, and for the things I use to say before I got that position (like they should be happy, etc......) MTA B/O deserve more that us T/O's get (yeah I said it). B/O should start at $30hr, and go to $35hr and after ten stressful years one should get $40hr, to deal with the daily BS..........

Traitor!!! I do agree with you about the stress part of the job though. There are many more intangibles with driving a bus, or van, or cab in NYC compared to the T/Os job. Don't get me wrong here BOTH jobs are stressful in their own way but I, having a tractor trailer background, take my hat off to anyone, especially my B/O counterparts, who drives a vehicle for a living in NYC. I was called for B/O before I was called for C/R but all my B/O friends said to hold out for the RTO job and stay away from Surface if I could.

(V)ery well said:tup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived