R44 Reef Cars

INDman

R.I.P 5344. One of the greatest cars ever built for the NYC Subway in my opinion. "The R44 also set the world speed record for a subway car. On January 31, 1972, a consist reached a speed of 87.75 mph (141.2 km/h) on the Long Island Rail Road's main line between Woodside and Jamaica." - Wikipedia.

No they're among the biggest pieces of crap ever built! Yeah they set a speed record all right, and they blew out the traction motors too!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was a Plan that got turned down the mintue they metioned it.

Most of you guys don't know that during most times of the operational day the arriving C t/o at Euclid has to relay his own train for n/b service. If the R44's were put on the C (for that matter the R46), it will take longer for him to make the move because of a longer train and "fighting" the heavier storm doors. There is no benchwall on those relay tracks, unlike at 168 were the switchmen relay them. Therefore, if 75' cars are ever put on the C, every train would need a switchman if NYCT wants to maintain their "on time" n/b service and give the car cleaners a chance to sweep/mop.

More switchmen+ more money in personell costs.

The answer is not an extra train. Why? Because then the crews will not have any sort of recovery time at Euclid, schedules would have to be changed and the jobs would have to have increased pay due to the longer relay.

Most of you guys don't know that during most times of the operational day the arriving C t/o at Euclid has to relay his own train for n/b service. If the R44's were put on the C (for that matter the R46), it will take longer for him to make the move because of a longer train and "fighting" the heavier storm doors. There is no benchwall on those relay tracks, unlike at 168 were the switchmen relay them. Therefore, if 75' cars are ever put on the C, every train would need a switchman if NYCT wants to maintain their "on time" n/b service and give the car cleaners a chance to sweep/mop.

More switchmen+ more money in personell costs.

The answer is not an extra train. Why? Because then the crews will not have any sort of recovery time at Euclid, schedules would have to be changed and the jobs would have to have increased pay due to the longer relay.

Yup, That's the reason why, It would take more time.

Just read a post from Train Dude that officially 5344 and mates as well as the other 4 (I believe 5290 + sisters) are now officially retired. No others.

They are hurling flames at each other on the subject. Due to appropriate moderation on this board, it will not come to that here. Which is the exact reason why I am not posting on SubChat. I will never say never, but I will stay away till at least 2 things happen: The new V is a done deal with the new schedules in effect ( so I can start posting around 7/4/10 why it isn't working the way the majority thought it would) and the R44 question being resolved one way or the other.

Agreed, by the posts of the troll there, I'm going to think it's TS under another handle. I'm not even going to post in that thread at all or any other R44 threads on that site.

As for this matter, my speculation is this: the V's R46s will be freed up IF it takes over the M. This'll obviously mean the C and G will not get any extra cars if the plan is to retire the R44s.

Agreed, by the posts of the troll there, I'm going to think it's TS under another handle. I'm not even going to post in that thread at all or any other R44 threads on that site.

As for this matter, my speculation is this: the V's R46s will be freed up IF it takes over the M. This'll obviously mean the C and G will not get any extra cars if the plan is to retire the R44s.

Yup, But You got to look at the (R), They are going to want extra's when the cuts go in effect.

Us t/o's and c/r's are waiting with baited breath to see what the new work programs are going to look like, but we are hearing that there will be increased service on the R, but we don't know by how much.

This Means the (R) is getting R160's F^$%k, I don't know why the (A) can't get them, They are just playing games and taking the R46's away from Jamaica, That Rockaway Problem is a bunch of BS, I don't know about the 26 R32's @ Jamaica but Hopefuly something good comes up.

This Means the (R) is getting R160's F^$%k, I don't know why the (A) can't get them, They are just playing games and taking the R46's away from Jamaica, That Rockaway Problem is a bunch of BS, I don't know about the 26 R32's @ Jamaica but Hopefuly something good comes up.

But don't forget some R46's on the current V COULD go to the R.

We just don't know what the actual B Division car assignments will be and won't till a few days before the pick starts in late June when the memo comes out.

But don't forget some R46's on the current V COULD go to the R.

We just don't know what the actual B Division car assignments will be and won't till a few days before the pick starts in late June when the memo comes out.

Yup, I have that feeling that Jamaica is going to send those R32's to CI, They should, They are not going to need them anymore unless they need them for the (R).

Good Riddance to Junk and they can Die Slowly!! and now Lets see what will happen in the comming months.

Good Riddance to the POS R44's

i hope they're gone by (May) june 2010 once the R160 order is done

the (A) is going to 100% R46's once the R44 are removed

Us t/o's and c/r's are waiting with baited breath to see what the new work programs are going to look like, but we are hearing that there will be increased service on the R, but we don't know by how much.

That makes sense. The R will need an increase in service with cuts to the M in Brooklyn, W [no additional local in lower Manhattan], and possible reduction in the V to make the extended V line 'run smoothly'.

Even though the R44 has the glass partitions, and the foward and rearward facing seats, I did not really like them, because they were dim and the armrest was uncomfortable. Also the door chimes don't work half of the time and sometimes the door can't stay open.

Just to all those in the "time to show off and see I was right" mode: Regardless of who thought who knew what and when, I can vouch for myself and INDman hearing about it initially. However part of being trusted to get told things is not going and immediately posting them all over the internet and telling everybody. Therefore there will likely be plenty of rumors before hand...believe me, IND is a good friend and we were sitting on this one for quite some time. Also we know the difference between who is or isn't reliable for this sort of thing, and without naming names, it was brought to our attention by someone EXTREMELY credible.

The car in question is without a doubt 100% going and others will be following soon if they haven't started stripping them already. The whole fleet will be going soon too, although I don't know when or in what order, etc. yet (nor do I care to find out). The test train used for the survey has already been examined, I don't know where it is now if they sent it back out on the road or not. That was over a month ago. However, rest assured that every car on the road is fit for service.

As for the original decision, I don't remember when it was made known to myself or IND, but it was well before a thread started on the subject, so probably pretty close to 2 months ago and it was passed along when it happened...anything before that was not final, but the decision takes a while to get to everyone even within TA, that's just big agency politics so the reality is people probably heard it at different times. I know I speak for both myself and IND when I say that when we add things to topics on car retirements and other "big deal" topics we always wait until the appropriate time to add our voices to the discussion, which is why we sat on it (in SILENCE) for as long as we did.

Sometimes you have to act RESPONSIBLY to get trusted with information, and that's part of doing it. Believe me there are plenty of things myself or he could post probably even right now that are 99% likely to happen (but subject to change of course) but for which the timing just ain't right. You have to know who's posting. Look, if someone like Art Vandelay says something on here, I'd be listening, because everything he's said so far has been right. But it's amazing the way some jump on the bandwagon without thinking critically. That's why people often keep things to yourself. Look at Zman, and how bad he felt for a minute because of the way people reacted to him telling them about the M/V merger PROPOSAL. Behavior like that is why people don't leak things when they hear about them. Believe me I appreciate Z's efforts and the fact he offers an employee's view of things on a forum, because he doesn't have to.

To BfM: if you are still curious as to "what next" for the R44's there and why it hasn't been answered I will happily pass along the answer I received for that very same question, but for you alone and only in a PM (and not in front of everyone else here), and that is only because you are an employee, and a very reputable poster both here and Subchat.

To everyone else: It's a double edged sword. Post something correct and don't have a red font under your name that says [TA Job Title] and it just becomes "who's your source? who told you?" and the answer is NONE OF YOUR FREAKIN BUSINESS. Those who get their answers from reputable sources will be proven right time and time again and those who get their future car equipment moves from RTO, their MTA budget and layoff news from car equipment, learn RTO procedures from upper management, and flagging from station cleaners will be proven wrong over and over again. So there's a big lesson to learn from ALL of this for those who just "read and react" and that is THINK, don't speculate. The information still gets made available to you anyway. Besides would you really give MegaWang the same attention you give me if HE tried to explain to you how SMEE works? :(

don't speculate. The information still gets made available to you anyway. Besides would you really give MegaWang the same attention you give me if HE tried to explain to you how SMEE works? :D

Agreed with everything you said D, and LOL @ the MegaWang comment! :(

Originally Posted by MegaWang

SMEE stands for So Many Extra Eggs...lolololol

good riddance to the most piece of junk that TA have ever own

we can all say (A) will be 100% R46's.

You ain't shittin'...

i heard the R32's and R42s are staying until R179 comes in.

That's what's projected...if the 32s and 42s are retired the B Division will face a car shortage so something will have to replace it first.

Well said subwayguy! And sadly there are the 'special' people like Chipper [who deserves the blame] that doesn't know when to shut his ..er fingers. If he had not blurted that info by Zman [sad it happened to you man - i really enjoyed the info you would post], that cascade would not have happened.

But that said, I guess it is best for folks that actually works for the TA to keep stuff to themselves and disclose info at their risk. Which is a shame for those of us that can respect to keep rumors to a minimum and enjoys any insider info.

Archived