What impact on your life will the planned 2010 Subway cuts have on your lives?

Shortline Bus

Now it's offical and barring a bailout, what impact guys on your lives or your family(ie Mom or Dad) and friends will the doomsday cuts have on your lives? Especially if you ride any of the lines being cancelled or merged below.

Meaning the following.

1)The end of the (W) train.

2)The (G) train permenatly terminating in Queens at Court Sq.

3)The Merger of the (V) and (M2) lines creating the new (M)line?

4)headways decreasing causing longer waits systemwide on almost every subway line on weekends?

Feel free to explain. Thanks in Advance.

My mom will be utterly confused, as she takes the (A)/© from our home stop at Utica Avenue to West Fourth Street where she connects for the (V) and takes that to a Queens Blvd local stop. If I tell her that after June 2010 that the (V) will become the (M), she'll be like "WTF" because she knows the (M2) travels along Nassau Street.

The W & N run back to back in the mornings - a packed W will pull in and there will be an empty N train right behind it. After I realized this I started waiting so my lazy butt could get a seat. I'm hoping the N/Q have a similar schedule.

Since the W had a realitively short route it wasn't as prone to delays. Same for the Q - it only had 5 stops in Manhattan and for the most part ran on schedule (at least when I took it). Now that one route is disappearing and one route is being extended it's not going to provide the frequency and reliability as before. For selfish illogical reasons I am glad the Q is going to Queens now. Q = Queens DUH!

My co-worker just moved by the Marcy Avenue station over the weekend so she is looking forward to the M/V combo because she will be able to make a cross platform transfer rather than changing at Canal Street. It will probably save a few minutes off her commute.

1)The end of the (W) train.

Probably means nothing, Astoria still gets the same TPH.

2)The (G) train permenatly terminating in Queens at Court Sq.

Last year, the (G) ran to 71 Avenue on three weekends in the entire year. It's just saving money by not having to make G.O. posters every week.

3)The Merger of the (V) and (M2) lines creating the new (M)line?

The only potential harm I see is the 480-foot trains on QBL. Otherwise, (J)(Z) riders get an easier transfer and those people who cried about the (M) not going to Lower Manhattan can make a cross-plat transfer, since the trains are usually held anyway! However, 4 Av Local riders are getting screwed.

4)headways decreasing causing longer waits systemwide on almost every subway line on weekends?

Not that much of a deal, as I rarely see standees on weekends anyway. Two minutes won't kill anyone.

IMO, they should add (R) service during the rush to make up for the (M2)(V)(W).

IMO, they should add (R) service during the rush to make up for the (M2)(V)(W).

When the economy improves(maybe a long while from now) and these cuts are restored, i dont know if a Nassau-SW Brooklyn route like the existing (M2)train will be restored for this main reason? The Fulton St Transit Center which will link the Broadway (R) Local, the IRT lines (2)(3)(4)(5) and the Nassau St (J) lines.

I think a restored (W) line running between Bay Pwy/Whitehall and Astoria weekdays is more likely in 4-5 years from now in an improved ecomony than the (J) Rush hour extension to Bay Ridge or Bay Pwy because of the Fulton St connection. Also depending on the success of the (Q) on the Astoria, the (MTA) execs in 6-7 years from now if things go well could change their minds and restore the (W) and run it on SAS between 63rd/Lex and 96th in the first half of the SAS line.

So in nutshell guys, the Brown-Nassau Line (M2)is probably gone into NYC subway history like the "EE" and "NX" lines and in more recent years the (K)(9)(H) and orange (Q6) lines as well.:)

I live closest to the Brighton Beach (:)(Q) station, and the (Q) going to Astoria means that I have a direct one seat ride to the stations along the BMT Astoria Line as the (Q) replaces the (W). It also means that I can get a cross platform transfer to and from the (7) at Queensboro Plaza on weekdays also. I see the (Q) as an upgrade.

However the (M2) not going south of Essex Street will be a pain. Looks like I'll be taking the (Q) to the (L) to the (M) to go along Myrtle Avenue. I like the (M2) from Met Av to Bay Pkway, I actually have friends living in that Met Av area.

I live closest to the Brighton Beach (:)(Q) station, and the (Q) going to Astoria means that I have a direct one seat ride to the stations along the BMT Astoria Line as the (Q) replaces the (W). It also means that I can get a cross platform transfer to and from the (7) at Queensboro Plaza on weekdays also. I see the (Q) as an upgrade.

What about (Q) to 34 Street to (M)?

Or (B) to B-way Laff to (M)?

Anyone effected by the (G) service cut?

i would think that any g riders on the queens blvd line would have gotten another way to get to brooklyn by... i mean, i was surprised when i saw the g at woodhaven blvd a couple weeks back LOL.

service doesn't affect me, except for having to be at the center of the platform now.

They really should keep the (G) running into Queens late nights and weekends. QB needs 2 locals.

The (W) really should be kept for rush hours only. Then they can run the N local middays and nights.

It'll suck for 4th Av local riders and maybe for West End riders.

But so long as the (5) still runs to Flatbush all day, I'm not affected much by the cuts.

None except longer waits late night from 20 minutes to 30 minutes.
Seriously? Between 1:30 and 5:00am, trains will run every half hour?

Still fifteen minute service on Lexington Avenue between Brooklyn Bridge and 125th Street and on Seventh Avenue/Broadway between Chambers and 96th Streets and Lenox Avenue between 96th and 135th Streets.

Half-Hour trains might be a bit of a pain on Broadway/Queens Boulevard where the (E) is local and (F) express and on CPW/Eighth Avenue.

They really should keep the (G) running into Queens late nights and weekends. QB needs 2 locals.

The (W) really should be kept for rush hours only. Then they can run the N local middays and nights.

It'll suck for 4th Av local riders and maybe for West End riders.

But so long as the (5) still runs to Flatbush all day, I'm not affected much by the cuts.

I'll have to agree with you on those. Bringing the (5) to Brooklyn during weekdays was the best thing the TA could have done. Also, I really think that the (G) is fine being extended on weekends only.

If the MTA decides to increase (R) service in order to help out Brooklyn riders I doubt it'll be any help at all. The (R) runs ten trains an hour during rush hours, and the (M) runs eight. That's a total of 18. They're not going to increase it by much, if they increase it at all.

Seriously? Between 1:30 and 5:00am, trains will run every half hour?

Still fifteen minute service on Lexington Avenue between Brooklyn Bridge and 125th Street and on Seventh Avenue/Broadway between Chambers and 96th Streets and Lenox Avenue between 96th and 135th Streets.

Half-Hour trains might be a bit of a pain on Broadway/Queens Boulevard where the (E) is local and (F) express and on CPW/Eighth Avenue.

Overnight service isn't being cut; those trains will continue to run every 20 minutes.

The (W) being cut has some disadvantages.

1. (W) riders traveling between Lower Manhattan (south of Canal Street) would have to make at least one additional transfer, for example, the (N) or (Q) (replacing (W) on weekdays) and transfer to the (R)(4)(5) as they no longer have a direct one-seat ride to Lower Manhattan to/from Astoria. Passengers needing Astoria from Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt Streets, and City Hall might as well hop on the (R) to at least 14th Street Union Square for the (N)(Q) to Astoria. The (R) will be carrying quite a load with the absence of the (W).

2. Some (Q) riders enjoy finding seats at 57th Street. They probably won't be too happy when they see their (Q)s coming from Queens to find out it's packed. I won't mind the (Q) in Queens, it's a big upgrade for me.

3. The (N) making all stops in Manhattan north of Canal Street. Wow.

Archived