"Manic Bus Driver Assults His MTA Boss"

From NYPOST.com

BY: Kieren Crowley

Last Updated: 8:11 PM March 31, 2010

Posted 8:11 PM March 31, 2010

"A crazed MTA bus operator assigned to a Long Island route assulted his supervisor, and flled from his coach after he was confronted about using a cell phone while driving today, officials said.

Enraged wheelman, Mr. John Miller, 37, alledgedly grabbed MTA Superintendent Mr. Joseph Merwin by the throat, threw him up against the windshield, and shattered a window on Sunrise Highway at Yorktown Street.

'He (Mr. Miller) began punching the bus and then (he began) punching the Inspector', said Rockville Centre Police Chief Charles Gennario.

Mr. Miller was en route to his first stop at 12:45 p.m., and didn't have any passengers.

He was charged with misdemeanor assult and criminal mischief, and the MTA fired him.

'We have a zero-tolerance policy on cell phone use, and we will certainly not tolerate any violence against our employees', said MTA spokesman Mr. Jeremy Soffin.

Mr. Miller was on the job for only five months and was already on extended probation."

From NYPOST.com

Posted 8:11 PM March 31, 2010

"A crazed MTA bus operator assigned to a Long Island route assulted his supervisor, and flled from his coach after he was confronted about using a cell phone while driving today, officials said.

Enraged wheelman, Mr. John Miller, 37, alledgedly grabbed MTA Superintendent Mr. Joseph Merwin by the throat, threw him up against the windshield, and shattered a window on Sunrise Highway at Yorktown Street.

'He (Mr. Miller) began punching the bus and then (he began) punching the Inspector', said Rockville Centre Police Chief Charles Gennario.

Mr. Miller was en route to his first stop at 12:45 p.m., and didn't have any passengers.

He was charged with misdemeanor assult and criminal mischief, and the MTA fired him.

'We have a zero-tolerance policy on cell phone use, and we will certainly not tolerate any violence against our employees', said MTA spokesman Mr. Jeremy Soffin.

Mr. Miller was on the job for only five months and was already on extended probation."

What a (D)ou©he.

P.S. To our dear friends at the New York Post, we know you guys don't know the basic tenants of journalism, but please at least show some dignity for the rest of us who graduated from high school and utilize the spell check option in Microsoft Word. Its "assault", not "assult"!

I normally don't play the spell check na(Z)i, but it was just annoying to see the same error throughout the article.

What a (D)ou©he.

P.S. To our dear friends at the New York Post, we know you guys don't know the basic tenants of journalism, but please at least show some dignity for the rest of us who graduated from high school and utilize the spell check option in Microsoft Word. Its "assault", not "assult"!

I normally don't play the spell check na(Z)i, but it was just annoying to see the same error throughout the article.

I don't see that error in the article.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manic_bus_driver_assaults_his_mta_rBjQVEYfY7Wm62iedb6qTI

Yea, they most likely saw the mistakes and corrected it, but not before (E)(E) got to it.

Nope. From the OP's post:

"From NYPOST.com

Posted 8:11 PM March 31, 2010"

Same time stamp as the one on the website.

Yea, they most likely saw the mistakes and corrected it, but not before (E)(E) got to it.
I don't know what happened but Mr. Joseph Merwin is one of the nicest Superintendents that you can run into can't believe this Operator would do something like that I had Merwin during training

i'd say he's got some anger management issues.

Some supervisor's need to be put in their place. I got a problem with 1, but it's best to address it the right way. Black ink n paper, even though you want to beat them black n blue............

As for this operator, he was caught with a cell phone, and on extended probation. He know he was getting canned, and just took it out on the Superintendent. No matter which Superintendent or dispatcher that would have caught him, he would have flipped them. He know he f-ed up (again it seems), and instead of accepting the consequences, he most likely had the idea he should get away with it, and got upset it didn't go that way. Now he has a criminal and/or arrest record to go with it...........

the excerpt below was posted to BusChat

These type of incidents are on the rise in the MTA.

A probie bus operator fired from Jackie Gleason was staulking the depots G/S at subway train stations when the G/S was going home.

I was threatened by a bus operator in December when I caught the operator leaving 46 minutes early.

An internal memo has been issued to all employee's about this type of behaivor.

As a supervisor you can't be intimidated by these a**holes. I do my job like I always have. We speak to each other with respect and if you sense a argument starting just stop and walk away and write it up.

No one gets paid to argue and fight, just to reinstruct and write!

a Dispatcher calling Bus Operators a**holes I wonder what was said to set the mood for them to go off but 46 minutes is excessively early

merwin is one of the coolest and funniest around people need to know when not to cross that line the Operator knew he was in the wrong cut your loses and move on

If a passenger gets 7 years for assaulting a b/o, then what does a b/o get for hitting his boss?

Depends on the severity of the injuries to the victim. 3rd degree assault is a class A misdemeanor, but if it's 1st and 2nd degree assault he will be doing some serious time upstate.

1st degree assault is the same level of as attempted murder. If this guy had a clean criminal record and he wasn't in possession of a weapon then the least amount of time he will do is 2-3 yrs in my opinion.

I wonder what type of defense he is going to use? insanity most likely.:tdown:

I Concur

agrees also plus this is why I didn't bother taking that Dispatchers test ,for one I'm Well liked and to I have Alot of Respect for our Fellow Bus ops ,We have A hard job as long as we carry it out to the (L)etter

second We make more than the Dispatchers /Inspectors anyway plus as long as we do our job ,We don't bothered by the Big dog breathing on their necks:tup:

I'm capt of my ship and that's good enough for me until the t/O comes A callin' then I'll have A bigger ship:p

It does piss me off when you go up in the ranks ,you forget where you came from and that pisses me off big time ,They put on a White Shirt ...Then they think they are God

Wow. I can't believe that happened to Mr. Merwin.. He was the coolest Instructor I had during training.. I had him for my pre-road test and day of the road test.. I hope he is ok and this ********* gets some time and a spanking from Bubba in the big house.

That guy is just an idiot. Now where did he think hitting his supervisor would get him?

I'm capt of my ship and that's good enough for me until the t/O comes A callin' then I'll have A bigger ship:p

No. You'll have anything ranging from 3 to 10 ships all linked together :P

and this ********* gets some time and a spanking from Bubba in the big house.

bbaq.png

:P

Archived