MTA offers $20,000 to workers who leave voluntarily, retirees take advantage

Harry

Some MTA workers are cashing in on the authority's money problems.

Several administrative workers slammed the brakes on their retirements after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced it would give up to $20,000 to workers who voluntarily leave, the MTA confirmed.

The nearly retired workers remained eligible for the windfalls because their retirement papers weren't fully processed, the authority says.

MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said he believed only a "small number" of employees rescinded retirement papers to get the big payday, but he didn't have an exact count.

The MTA plans on slashing administrative payroll by 15% and anticipates 600 to 700 positions will be vacated.

The authority is offering one week of base pay for every year on the job. Workers who wouldn't get the maximum under the formula would still get $20,000 if they have at least 10 years on the job.

"Anyone who doesn't take it has to have their head examined," the union official said.

Story from: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/03/2010-04-03_mta_exiters_to_fare_well.html#ixzz0kFTuZwkO

Some MTA workers are cashing in on the authority's money problems.

Several administrative workers slammed the brakes on their retirements after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced it would give up to $20,000 to workers who voluntarily leave, the MTA confirmed.

The nearly retired workers remained eligible for the windfalls because their retirement papers weren't fully processed, the authority says.

MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said he believed only a "small number" of employees rescinded retirement papers to get the big payday, but he didn't have an exact count.

The MTA plans on slashing administrative payroll by 15% and anticipates 600 to 700 positions will be vacated.

The authority is offering one week of base pay for every year on the job. Workers who wouldn't get the maximum under the formula would still get $20,000 if they have at least 10 years on the job.

"Anyone who doesn't take it has to have their head examined," the union official said.

Story from: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/03/2010-04-03_mta_exiters_to_fare_well.html#ixzz0kFTuZwkO

i hope these old farts leave already...so we can move up and they start freaking hiring...!!!!

i hope these old farts leave already...so we can move up and they start freaking hiring...!!!!

These are administrative positions though, doesn't sound like it will speed up civil service hiring for operating positions.

These are administrative positions though, doesn't sound like it will speed up civil service hiring for operating positions.

Any chance the admin positions that are vacated open up budget for the new operator hirings? Also, Does anyone know if the new depot on Staten Island

that was supposed to open was put on the back burner?

Thanks..

If I was on the way out anyway, plans made to move somewhere nice and far away from the shity, then yea I'd do it. To get me to retire out of the blue, no way.

I agree. Paying workers to leave seems really absurd.

Any chance the admin positions that are vacated open up budget for the new operator hirings? Also, Does anyone know if the new depot on Staten Island

that was supposed to open was put on the back burner?

Thanks..

From what I have read on here the Charleston depot is supposed to open on June 27th. Ironically that is around the same time service cuts and layoffs will begin. Staten Island bus routes are going to get hammered due to these upcoming service cuts.

A lump sum payout is cheaper to the MTA than having to give you your full pension and retirement benefits.

Most of the people that will take the payment will still get FULL pensions and retirement benefits because they will have the service time and age already.

The buyout is an incentive to retire,not a replacement for your pension. As far job openings because of retirement, the only thing that is going to happen is less layoffs. They are really cutting us to shreds this time. Walder cut the British bus company by 50% so don't expect to get hired for a long while. The talk I'm hearing is that all B/Os with 3 years or less are going to be getting pinks slips. Pretty scary time to be an MTA employee. Who knows how deep the cuts will be. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I guess the buyouts are a way to prevent people eligible for retirement from collecting more time?

im not sure..but after a certain amount of years, you start to lose money......anything after 30 years of service, you begin to lose money towards the pension.....ive never understood why guys with the time and age continue to stay past their time........

Is the union official crazy:mad:, they have to have their head examined for not leaving:eek:. What happens if everyone volunteers to leave:mad:

im not sure..but after a certain amount of years, you start to lose money......anything after 30 years of service, you begin to lose money towards the pension.....ive never understood why guys with the time and age continue to stay past their time........

Depending on someone's individual situation, if you start at a young age, then you may not be able to afford to retire after 30 years.

From what I was told, the $20,000 buyout is only part of the equation. All non union employees(some supervisor titles,managers,officers etc...)will be/are recieving a 10% cut in salary. They're also taking away their sick time buy back. Some of these bosses are eligible to cash in over $100,000 in sick time.Three of my bosses after being told this by Walder,retired on the spot. This is what happens when you have no union representation. You're gonna either stay ,take a 10% pay cut and lose over $100,000 in accrued sick time or retire now with your current benefits with a $20,000 sweetner. You're gonna have eligible retirees running out of here.

The buyout is an incentive to retire,not a replacement for your pension. As far job openings because of retirement, the only thing that is going to happen is less layoffs. They are really cutting us to shreds this time. Walder cut the British bus company by 50% so don't expect to get hired for a long while. The talk I'm hearing is that all B/Os with 3 years or less are going to be getting pinks slips. Pretty scary time to be an MTA employee. Who knows how deep the cuts will be. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

wow.. one of the guys i work with told me the union chairman in our depot said the number was 200 that they want to layoff.. ( B/Os) Well, I guess regardless I'm screwed. This is only my 4th month on the job.. But it is what it is. I'm not surprised and have already been making other plans..

wow.. one of the guys i work with told me the union chairman in our depot said the number was 200 that they want to layoff.. ( B/Os) Well, I guess regardless I'm screwed. This is only my 4th month on the job.. But it is what it is. I'm not surprised and have already been making other plans..

You gotta do what you gotta do B)

Command Center, is your source reliable? Are you talking about all 3 bus divisions or just MTA Bus? I am on 8006 list (NYCTA). There is also another list(5025) which has yet to be completed.

Is it correct that there will be no new classes for B/O's until most if not all laid off B/O's are called back? I heard they mix up the classes with students from all 3 bus divisions. I am concerned with TA only though.

I hope that I am wrong but it sounds like these will be just the 1st wave of layoffs with more to come next year.....

Well I obviously fail to see the logic in this. Maybe the (MTA) likes being broke then.

Archived