what is your favorite kind of MTA bus model

Novabus 5000

In order:

1. GMC/TMC/Nova RTS's: (DD powered are my favorite)They were the first buses I remember riding when i was only 3 y/o. I love the classic design, the way they handle, and it's the only bus that I have personally driven.

2. Orion VII HEV: It has kind of a cool design, even though it took a couple of years for me to get used to. I like the acceleration, and I think it's built well.

3. Even though it's not in service, the MTS RTS EXTREME Low Floor has got to be a sick piece when it finally hits the streets! I like the design, but it's only available with a Cummins, and most likely won't be put into service untill MTS sorts out its part supplier problems.

• 1 month later...
Orion VII CNG

They are the best buses

But thier top speed is 40 thanks to a speed limiter, which can easily be removed, but the transmissions available won't give much more top speed anyways. Reliability sucks too, I know some with death ticks and sputtering engines already with only 110K Miles.

I will go with

MTA Bus Orion V CNG (Especially 7253 since it has LED signs!)

MTA Bus/NYC Bus Orion V with S50 EGR (100-290, 295-316, 416, 444)

MTA Bus Orion V (58xx-5999 thanks to great sounds + soft seats)

MTA Bus/NYC Bus Orion VII HEV (with LED signs)

MTA NYC Bus New Flyer C40LF CNG (Great sounds + fun to go fast in)

MTA NYC Bus New Flyer D60HF with S50 EGR (5407, 5510-5769)

ALL RTS's (Especially ZF Ecomat ones! So old school :cool:)

It is 5938 to 5987. They do not have soft seats and were ex- greenlinea:)

Hmm the wiki page needs some updating...

I have been in many of those Ex Green Lines buses, and those seats aren't exactly hard seats, they're cushioned. :) I will get some interior shots of them someday. At first I thought these were 5.502's (been on Centro 5.502's and they're very similar).

1980s GMC-TMC RTS-04 series and 06 series for antiquity and engine sounds from the old 6V-92TA

1994-96 NYCT O5 diesel (*400*-580, 611-680), with their antiquity compared to 1998-99 series and good Series 50 engine sound. Props to 452-458 for being Gleason originals and following me/parents from Gleason/Midwood (BK) to KB/Riverdale (BX), escpecially 454 for still being street exhaust. Props to entire order for originally being street exhaust, today only 413, 453-4, 472, 503, 623, 668 are still like that.

*- RIP 400, along with 463, 473, 481, 523, 528, 543, 546

And lastly and most importantly, my Liberty Lines compatriots, 1988-89 MCI Classic Subs for the same reasons as the old RTS, plus I grew up on them, living in Riverdale my entire life.

1994-96 NYCT O5 diesel (*400*-580, 611-680)
I hate how MTA doesn't fix the screeching belts on those enough. Do you know anything about 291-294? They're not EGR, they're normal S50's and thier transmission makes a sound (like on a VII CNG) when shifting to 4th gear, are thier transmissions different? They also have more Bass to them.

Hmm the wiki page needs some updating...

I have been in many of those Ex Green Lines buses, and those seats aren't exactly hard seats, they're cushioned. :) I will get some interior shots of them someday. At first I thought these were 5.502's (been on Centro 5.502's and they're very similar).

They're cushioned due to the fact that they are rejects from WMATA. Coach USA got a few as well.

But thier top speed is 40 thanks to a speed limiter, which can easily be removed, but the transmissions available won't give much more top speed anyways. Reliability sucks too, I know some with death ticks and sputtering engines already with only 110K Miles.

I will go with

MTA Bus Orion V CNG (Especially 7253 since it has LED signs!)

MTA Bus/NYC Bus Orion V with S50 EGR (100-290, 295-316, 416, 444)

MTA Bus/NYC Bus Orion VII HEV (with LED signs)

MTA NYC Bus New Flyer C40LF CNG (Great sounds + fun to go fast in)

MTA NYC Bus New Flyer D60HF with S50 EGR (5407, 5510-5769)

ALL RTS's (Especially ZF Ecomat ones! So old school :cool:)

The RTS's with the ZF Trans are my favorite too. I can't believe the Detroit Diesel days are numbered. Those will always be my favorite engines.

Archived