Do you think some limited bus routes are useless?

S78 via Hylan

I'd rather see LTD service on the Bx10 (I have a logical explanation behind this one)

difference b/w the 10 & the 36 is that 36's come far more frequent though...

(I'm not sayin that in defense of the 36 LTD; b/c I don't think the route necessarily needed a LTD either...)

hmm, well, if it's anywhere you're gonna have actual ltd stops on the bx10, it's b/w [W 231st @ the (1)] & [the terminal over there by the (D)]... those stops along sedgwick & bailey aren't heavily used at all.... and b/o's on that route having to crawl due to all the turns, and compounded by not knowing when someone's gonna ring the bell... it definitely eats up runtime....

not sayin that I think the 10 needs LTD's either...

but I'm all ears, for your explanation... you usually have well thought out plans.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this wadn't directed at me.... but my reasons for despising the B35 are documented, on here & straps.... that's why I didn't bother mentioning the B35 ltd.... b/c given the question in the thread title, it would've been my answer by default.

But word, I'm also curious as to why dude feels that way.

at least he can give a reason(s).....

Yeah, it's just a 'statement' and nothing. He may as well have not posted at all if he isn't going to add anything more to it.

difference b/w the 10 & the 36 is that 36's come far more frequent though...

(I'm not sayin that in defense of the 36 LTD; b/c I don't think the route necessarily needed a LTD either...)

hmm, well, if it's anywhere you're gonna have actual ltd stops on the bx10, it's b/w [W 231st @ the (1)] & [the terminal over there by the (D)]... those stops along sedgwick & bailey aren't heavily used at all.... and b/o's on that route having to crawl due to all the turns, and compounded by not knowing when someone's gonna ring the bell... it definitely eats up runtime....

not sayin that I think the 10 needs LTD's either...

but I'm all ears, for your explanation... you usually have well thought out plans.

To me the Bx36 runs too frequently, I know someone will bite my head off for that but there is no reason for 4 buses to be leaving 181 at the same time all going to Pugsley Av. This was happening before the LTD service started and its the same now. The Bx28 has a much greater need for LTD service

I'm not saying the Bx10 needs LTD but lets say you have 6-8 LTD runs in the AM/PM with some short turns to/from 231 st. You stated some of the basic reasons but you would solve the issues that the Bx10 never follows its schedule (I've waited up to 30 mins for buses on a regular basis), always bunches and skips some important stops (I've been on buses that flew by 238/bailey and sedgwick/vcw and the stops were packed). make the LTD stops 231/bway, 238/bailey, sedgwick/vcw, Lehman College (I wouldn't make it Paul/205 because you can get the same transfers at Lehman and a large part of the BX10 delays is due to Bx Sci kids so force them on to a short turn run plus its a short walk), BPB/Jerome, Mosholu/Jerome, Bainbridge/Gun Hill and 206 STA. LTD on the route is a stretch but the short turns would be a plus.

I sent this letter to the MTA suggesting some cost savings that could come as a result of making some routes limited-stop routes. I used some of the suggestions on these boards that I thought made sense.

Manhattan Bus Service:

Make the M7 a limited-stop bus between West 106th Street and West 72nd Street on Columbus Avenue/Amsterdam Avenue:

The M11 also offers parallel local service in this corridor. The M7 is a long route, running from 147th Street/Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard to Union Square, and this would reduce the running time of the route. Limited stops could be placed at West 106th Street, West 96th Street, West 86th Street, West 79th Street, and West 72nd Street. This could be tested during rush hours only and then be expanded to off-peak times.

Make the M101 a limited-stop bus between West 125th Street/Amsterdam Avenue and Amsterdam Avenue/Broadway:

The M100 offers parallel local service in this corridor. All limited-stop trips on the M101 could extend their limited-stop run to Broadway/Amsterdam Avenue. Limited stops could be placed at West 125th Street, West 135th Street, West 145th Street, West 155th Street, and Broadway.

Brooklyn Bus Service:

Add limited-stop B60 service during rush hours:

The B60 is a long route running from Williamsburg to Canarsie and adding some limited-stop runs would help with bus bunching and make the drivers of the other runs .

Bronx

Make the Bx42 a limited-stop bus between East Tremont Avenue/Randall Avenue and River Park Towers:

The Bx40 offers parallel local service in the same corridor. In addition, there are already additional Bx40s/Bx42s added in between these 2 points. The regular Bx40s and the short turn Bx40s/Bx42s should be able to handle the local passengers. This service should start out as a rush hour service and be expanded to off-peak times.

Add limited-stop service to the Bx19:

The Bx19 is a long, frequent route running from the Bronx Botanical Gardens to Riverbank State Park. Certain runs could be made into limited-stop runs.

Add limited-stop service to the Bx21 during rush hours:

The Bx21 is a long route from The Hub to Westchester Square, and would benefit from limited-stop service during rush hours.

Add limited-stop service to the Bx31 during rush hours:

The Bx31 is a long route from Katonah Avenue/242nd Street to Westchester Square and would benefit from limited-stop service during rush hours.

Queens Bus Service:

Make the Q30 a limited-stop bus between Jamaica and Utopia Parkway/Horace Harding Expressway weekdays:

The Q31 offers parallel local service in this corridor. If there is a lot of demand for local service, every other Q30 bus in this section of the route could be made a local bus. Weekends, when the Q31 doesn't run (according to the 2010 service reductions booklet), all service is local.

Add limited-stop service to the Q54 during rush hours:

The Q54 is a long route from Jamaica to Williamsburg. It would benefit from some added limited-stop buses. Buses could be timed to pass at points where Metropolitan Avenue widens.

Staten Island Bus Service:

Run the same limited-stop pattern in the PM rush hours on Victory Boulevard between Jewett Avenue and the Saint George Ferry:

Currently, in the AM rush hour, the S62 starts at Victory Boulevard/Jewett Avenue and the S61 doesn't runtowards the St George Ferry, being replaced by the S62 and S91. In the PM rush hour, however, the S62 runs to the College of Staten Island and the S61 runs to the Staten Island Mall. Under this plan, the S62 would run during the PM rush hours from the St George Ferry to Victory Boulevard/Jewett Avenue. The S61 would not run in the PM rush hours, being replaced by the S62 and S91 (note that the S61/S91 would run on Manor Road instead of Bradley Avenue under my proposed service revisions). This would improve the efficiency of the bus routes on Victory Boulevard.

Replace S61 service with S91 limited-stop service during middays on weekdays and middays/PM rush hour on Saturdays:

Currently, the S61 and S62 operate local on Victory Boulevard between Jewett Avenue and the St George Ferry Terminal. This is redundant as both buses will meet the same ferryboat. I would find it a better use of resources to make the S61 a limited-stop route between Jewett Avenue/Victory Boulevard (or under my plan to reroute it to Manor Road, Manor Road/Victory Boulevard) and the St George Ferry Terminal, during the hours when the Staten Island Ferry operates under 30 minute headways while both the S61 and S62 operate under 15 minute headways. These time periods are middays on weekdays and middays/PM rush hour on Saturday. When the S61 and/or S62 resume operating under 30 minute headways, limited-stop can cease.

This plan would replace the S61 St George Ferry-bound trips leaving the Staten Island Mall from 8:20 AM to 6:15 PM weekdays, inclusively, and 11:15 AM to 4:45 PM Saturdays, inclusively, with S91 trips. The same rule applies to S61 Staten Island Mall-bound trips leaving the St George Ferry from 9:00 AM to 4:12 PM weekdays, inclusively, and 11:00 AM to 5:30 PM Saturdays, inclusively. This would be the one of the first local bus corridors in Staten Island to receive limited-stop service on Saturdays (See S79 plan below)

Make the S79 a limited-stop bus from Richmond Avenue/Hylan Boulevard to Clove Road/Hylan Boulevard:

Currently, the S78 and S79 both run local on Hylan Boulevard. However, the plan to implement Select Bus Service on the S79 route calls for the S79 to become a limited-stop bus. The implementation of limited-stop service on the S79 would get the potential Select Bus Service riders accustomed to the faster limited-stop service. All of the other current (Bx12) or planned (M15, B44) Select Bus Service corridors already have 7-day limited-stop bus service on the corridor, whereas the S79 would be going from an all local route to Select Bus Service in one step.

Also, with the reduction of express bus service on Hylan Boulevard (the elimination of the X6 and the shortening of the X1 during rush hours), more people will be switching to local bus service and the implementation of S79 limited-stop service would help to speed their trip and save on operating costs as a result of the shorter run time. The service can start out as a rush hour service and expand to off-peak times. This corridor is one that merits consideration for weekend limited-stop service (See S91 plan above).

Extend the S89 limited-stop bus to Tottenville and shorten the S59 to Richmond Avenue all times:

The ridership on Hylan Boulevard west of Richmond Avenue is low, which may be responsible for the high weekday cost of the S59 ($3.83 per passenger, compared to $3.09 weekends). The replacement of S59 service with S89 service in the corridor may boost ridership and improve efficiency for these reasons:

a) The S89 offers faster, limited-stop service along Richmond Avenue to places such as the Staten Island Mall, a popular destination, whereas the S59 only offers local service on Richmond Avenue.

:P The S89 offers direct service to Bayonne. TransportAzumah's 144 route was cut back drastically since the implementation of S89 (I do not know if it was restarted, as this page: http://www.transportazumah.com/144 has not been recently updated). The S89 would provide direct service to Bayonne from the South Shore, which was formerly provided by the 144 route. The S59, on the other hand, does not run to New Jersey and only goes to Port Richmond.

c) The operating hours and frequencies of the S89 are lower than those of the S59 during rush hours (when it operates to Tottenville), resulting in fewer bus operators running along Hylan Boulevard.

I also wrote about which routes should be restored in some form in the thread about which routes are hit by the cuts the hardest.

To me the Bx36 runs too frequently, I know someone will bite my head off for that but there is no reason for 4 buses to be leaving 181 at the same time all going to Pugsley Av. This was happening before the LTD service started and its the same now. The Bx28 has a much greater need for LTD service

I'm not saying the Bx10 needs LTD but lets say you have 6-8 LTD runs in the AM/PM with some short turns to/from 231 st. You stated some of the basic reasons but you would solve the issues that the Bx10 never follows its schedule (I've waited up to 30 mins for buses on a regular basis), always bunches and skips some important stops (I've been on buses that flew by 238/bailey and sedgwick/vcw and the stops were packed). make the LTD stops 231/bway, 238/bailey, sedgwick/vcw, Lehman College (I wouldn't make it Paul/205 because you can get the same transfers at Lehman and a large part of the BX10 delays is due to Bx Sci kids so force them on to a short turn run plus its a short walk), BPB/Jerome, Mosholu/Jerome, Bainbridge/Gun Hill and 206 STA. LTD on the route is a stretch but the short turns would be a plus.

You don't disappoint.... that makes perfect sense, knowing what I realize/come to notice, regarding the Bx10.

...and the Bx36, I got your back on that; feel the exact same way... While I haven't personally seen 4 36's leaving GWB, it's been multiple-a-time where I've disembarked off a Q44 (@ the last stop), and made that walk to the E. Tremont subway station - and come to see three buses waiting (or one of them just pulling out & 2 still remaining) at that GWB bound bus stop on Boston rd, right by the subway entrance..... buses on that route tend to run in two's anyway, in either direction... and yep, that was the case long before the introduction of 36LTD's.... you're exactly right w/ that....

I know this wadn't directed at me.... but my reasons for despising the B35 are documented, on here & straps.... that's why I didn't bother mentioning the B35 ltd.... b/c given the question in the thread title, it would've been my answer by default.

But word, I'm also curious as to why dude feels that way.

at least he can give a reason(s).....

Maybe the gridlock and the double-parking on Church Ave. makes the B35LTD slower then the local. Yes I rode the B35 and it's the most cumbersome I've ever rode on.

preachin to the choir man...

I deal w/ the "B35 bullshit" (as I like to call it) every single day (which is comprised of many things)....

in any event, it's not so much that it's gridlock, exactly.....

(traffic is starting to get worse on Snyder av actually, but that's another topic)

- double parking on church... huge factor...

(and by that, I don't solely mean someone leaving their car on park & in a state of mind like "yo, I'ma be right back"....)

- the belligerence & the "me first, f**k the rest of you" attitude of the majority of B35 passengers... huge factor (this keeps buses @ the stops longer)... especially @ the Nostrand av & the E 18th st stops (both of which, panning eastbound I'm talkin about)...

- the way people drive in this neighborhood in general... some streets I avoid outright b/c of it (ironic that Church av isn't one of them.... yet.)... defensive driving aint in these ppl's vocabulary, let's put it that way....

- right of way for the buses, yo, forget about that on church av...

(yeh, you can say this about city buses in general, but over here... maan, I have to say, outside of manhattan [and the jousting w/ the yellow taxi's that they gotta put up with], church av is the worst when it comes to this.....

this morning while walking to the train station, there was a B35 local @ the 39th st stop... there was a string of dollar cabs (at least 5 of them)... the one in the front stopped right dead in front of the bus, to pick up a passenger.... b/o had to slam on the brakes... the other dollar cabs are honkin they horns... one of them went across the double yellow lines, into oncoming traffic (opposite direction), just to avoid the mess.... long story short, not ONE of those cab drivers stopped to let the bus proceed forward.....

oh how I wish there was a Gleason b/o on this board; particularly one that ever operated the 35 to come on here first-hand to back up all of what I'm saying....

you may ask yourself, what does all of this have to do with the B35 LTD....

well, for starters, riders STILL harrass b/o's about not stopping at their stops.... but everybody & their goddamn mammas wanna pile on the LTD's, like the locals don't make the same damn stops b/w flatbush av & new york av (which is another thing)... like the LTD saves sooooo much time along here on church....

me personally, I don't take the 35LTD. If it's not a local, I'm not getting on, point blank period.... it's gotten to that point with me.

when you have b/o's making makeshift "local" signs, and putting them in the front of the buses... that says enough.... ya don't see b/o's resorting to that on B41 locals, 46 locals, 44 locals, 38 locals, 6 locals, the list goes on.... well, at least, I don't....

*in the words of George Steinbrennah....*

I... hath... spoken !

*in my most robotic voice possible*

end... rant....

lol......

.....and btw, AllenJ24, none of this was directed at you...

so for the love of god, please don't take any of this as a personal attack.

What about the M1 LTD? Does anyone here ride or see it a lot?

/start rant

I've only ridden it once, as a busfanning trip. I took the very first PM limited bus from South Ferry. [About 3:50 PM] The ride on mainstream Madison Ave [the part shared with the M2, M3, and M4] was swift, and the bus wasn't that crowded, only moderately SRO at most [Though I guess it depends on your definition of 'crowded.'] However, Dear God [i needed to say that], Madison Av above 110th St was UNBEARABLE. So. Much. Traffic. It would take up a full minute - 3 minutes sometimes (yes!) to go one short block. By the time I got to Upper Harlem, it was roughly 5:50, even though the timetable said the bus would reach the last stop at 5:26 {I didn't even get off at the last stop, I got off at Lenox Av & 145th St, mistakenly thinking it was the terminus!} Perhaps the M1 Limited is certainly useful, or at least kind of fast; we passed at least 5 local buses (some M1s, M4s, and a M3) This was last summer, so my memory's slightly sketchy.

/end rant

well, for starters, riders STILL harrass b/o's about not stopping at their stops.... but everybody & their goddamn mammas wanna pile on the LTD's, like the locals don't make the same damn stops b/w flatbush av & new york av (which is another thing)... like the LTD saves sooooo much time along here on church....

when you have b/o's making makeshift "local" signs, and putting them in the front of the buses... that says enough.... ya don't see b/o's resorting to that on B41 locals, 46 locals, 44 locals, 38 locals, 6 locals, the list goes on.... well, at least, I don't....

A year or too ago, I actually saw a single B44 bus with a makeshift 'All Local Stops!' sign. *shot.*

I'm not fond of the B35 Limited either. The most recent time I've rode it, [From Nostrand Av To Kings Highway] The bus was stuck in traffic almost the whole way. [The route in its natural state, you might say.] And I missed my stop to boot. [Though that last one was more my fault.] When I do ride it, rarely does it actually pass a Local bus.

I've fantasized about it, but I'm glad the B8 doesn't have a limited, because it would most certainly be useless. At least my resident Limited-Stop service (B44) is most certainly not useless. Wait, what...? SBS... replacement... noooooo!

Another issue I have with this cut is the Bx15 getting artics. Now that the Bx15's getting artics, most riders along 125th Street would often take the Bx15 or M101 instead of the M60 or M100 since there's more seats and space. Plus, the artics would have a very tough time getting through all of that traffic in Harlem.

Don't forget the M100 runs artics sometimes too.

The B49LTD should be A.M. and P.M. rush hours at both directions.

I think the B49 LTD was introduced in 2006. It started out with 3 runs in the AM rush and now runs 7 runs in the AM rush (It only runs from Empire Blvd - KCC)

On certain routes, the limited-stop runs replace some of the local runs, so the MTA actually saves money, since it has to pay drivers for that much less runtime, since they are now driving a limited-stop bus. However, you bring up a good point that certain useless limited routes could save money if they were cut back.

I think it's just fine the way it is, because expanded LTD service isn't really needed.

I think the best thing to do is this. We often talk about what shouldn't be a limited and what should. How about this. How about we reduce the number of local bus stops (instead of 1 or 2 every block) and make it into 2-4 or 3-4, 3-5 every block (in certain situations like in the outer bouroughs). Obviously there are pros and cons to this but to me its pathetic when in manhattan for example, you can have for on madison ave (this is theoretical) a bus stop at 34, 36, 38, 40 and 42 St (or something along those lines) when it can just be 34 st, 38 st and 42 st as the stops.

I think the local stops should remain where they are for convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but anyone who can say that elimination of a route or, limited service on that route affects that income /livelyhood of the bus operators. We "pick" routes which includes both local and/or limited bus service. (B6 local & B6 limited service.) Any elimination of ANY type of service has a trickle down effect. If NYCT had their way, they would cut runs on EVERY route & that affects the number of operator needed to operate buses in the depots. As it stands now, effective 06/27/2010 service cuts will take effect 1) the number of runs on every route in the depot and the time that customers must wait for a bus. 2) Every bus will be packed as there will be fewer & further between. The public should know that NYCT does not care about it's riders. This is especially impacting our elderly & handicapped passengers who have a hard enough time as it is getting to a bus stop. The NYCT is going to eliminate over 600 bus stops city wide. If you need to get a bus, you may now have to walk several blocks to the next stop. That is NOT customer friendly. Our customers depend on us every day to travel to & from their destinations.

As a Bus Operator, I am mad as hell that the elected officials have done little or, nothing to stop this madness from happening!!!! We pride ourselves on providing the best possible service to our customers.

Some segment of our society seem to feel that riding free is their "right". As for me, I don't care if the TA gets their fares or not!!! It does not affect my paycheck so, you can come in the front door, back door, wincows or, crawl up the exhaust pipe for all I care. All I ask, is just DON'T touch me, DON'T spit on me & DON'T curse at me because I didn't do what YOU wanted.

Regardless of what happens after June 27th, I will do my best to continue to operate the bus safely as I always have getting you to your destinations in one piece. PLEASE don't blame us for anything that NYCT has done. It was not our doing & we are extremely angry about it!!!!

Thank you for reading this and allowing me to vent.(MTA)

I deal w/ the "B35 bullshit" (as I like to call it) every single day (which is comprised of many things)....

in any event, it's not so much that it's gridlock, exactly.....

(traffic is starting to get worse on Snyder av actually, but that's another topic)

- double parking on church... huge factor...

(and by that, I don't solely mean someone leaving their car on park & in a state of mind like "yo, I'ma be right back"....)

- the belligerence & the "me first, f**k the rest of you" attitude of the majority of B35 passengers... huge factor (this keeps buses @ the stops longer)... especially @ the Nostrand av & the E 18th st stops (both of which, panning eastbound I'm talkin about)...

- the way people drive in this neighborhood in general... some streets I avoid outright b/c of it (ironic that Church av isn't one of them.... yet.)... defensive driving aint in these ppl's vocabulary, let's put it that way....

- right of way for the buses, yo, forget about that on church av...

(yeh, you can say this about city buses in general, but over here... maan, I have to say, outside of manhattan [and the jousting w/ the yellow taxi's that they gotta put up with], church av is the worst when it comes to this.....

this morning while walking to the train station, there was a B35 local @ the 39th st stop... there was a string of dollar cabs (at least 5 of them)... the one in the front stopped right dead in front of the bus, to pick up a passenger.... b/o had to slam on the brakes... the other dollar cabs are honkin they horns... one of them went across the double yellow lines, into oncoming traffic (opposite direction), just to avoid the mess.... long story short, not ONE of those cab drivers stopped to let the bus proceed forward.....

oh how I wish there was a Gleason b/o on this board; particularly one that ever operated the 35 to come on here first-hand to back up all of what I'm saying....

me personally, I don't take the 35LTD. If it's not a local, I'm not getting on, point blank period.... it's gotten to that point with me.

*in the words of George Steinbrennah....*

I... hath... spoken !

*in my most robotic voice possible*

end... rant....

lol......

.....and btw, AllenJ24, none of this was directed at you...

so for the love of god, please don't take any of this as a personal attack.

all these reasons you stated is why

the B-37 is needed. the elderly really need this route. they need to get to doc appts or shopping. they need to reconsider eliminating this route.

The thread is about useless limited bus routes and the B37 is not a limited, also not to mention it will be eliminated on Sunday, June 27th.

so the B-57 comming from maspeth queens, replacing the B75. now i have to find an alternative route to get home from sunset park. yeah i could take the R to 9th st to get the F home but those steps at 4th ave are killers. so im going to take the B9 to mc donald ave to get the F. yeah the B-9 weekday service is being reduced. i could also take the B-63 and transfer to the B-61 to smith 9th st,but will have to pay another fare to get the B-57 to go down smith st. Way to go MTA.:mad:

so the B-57 comming from maspeth queens, replacing the B75. now i have to find an alternative route to get home from sunset park. yeah i could take the R to 9th st to get the F home but those steps at 4th ave are killers. so im going to take the B9 to mc donald ave to get the F. yeah the B-9 weekday service is being reduced. i could also take the B-63 and transfer to the B-61 to smith 9th st,but will have to pay another fare to get the B-57 to go down smith st. Way to go MTA.:mad:

Again, the wrong thread for this comment. Make sure you read thread titles before you comment on them.

the B-37 is needed. the elderly really need this route. they need to get to doc appts or shopping. they need to reconsider eliminating this route.

irrelevant to the discussion...

and to the people that use that as the sole basis of their argument... think about this....

doesn't the elderly "really need" any route in the bus network?

saying it another way, has the elderly ever rejected a certain bus route......

I think it's just fine the way it is, because expanded LTD service isn't really needed.

LTD service period on the B49 wasn't really needed IMO....

PLEASE don't blame us for anything that NYCT has done. It was not our doing & we are extremely angry about it!!!!

Believe me, I'm not that naive....

too bad there are a slew of others that think you guys have THE say as to what gets cut....

to give an analogy people can relate to...

it would be like spitting at a mcdonalds employee b/c the McRib isn't in season anymore...

regardless of how much someone "really loved" that sandwich (although I think it was god-awful, but that's not the point)

irrelevant to the discussion...

and to the people that use that as the sole basis of their argument... think about this....

doesn't the elderly "really need" any route in the bus network?

saying it another way, has the elderly ever rejected a certain bus route......

The Bay Ridge residents would still have access to the B70 along 3rd Avenue, so, although they would have to transfer to the B63, they would still have bus access.

The elderly "need" every route in the bus network, but the thing is that if there are 2 routes along a certain street and one was cut back, they would still have the other route. For example, if the B7 were to be cut back to Flatbush Avenue, the riders along Kings Highway would still have the B82. They would lose their direct ride to points along the B7 route, but they would still have bus service. (Not to mention that I'm sure there are plenty of seniors that currently have to transfer between routes)

Basically what I'm saying is that in times of budget crisis, you have to decide which route to cut. For example, would you rather have this B37/B70 restructuring or have the Q84 reduced to rush hours like last time. I think the choice here is obvious. The Bay Ridge riders will have to deal with the extra transfers to save routes that have more impact.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this isn't off topic too much, but I thought the (S61) should not run during PM rush while the (S91) is running as this already happens during the AM rush hour toward the ferry.

I am suggesting this because the (S91) usually picks up everyone from the ferry and the (S61) is almost always empty. Those who need local service on Victory Blvd can use the (S62) or (S66).

I actually suggested that the same exact pattern operate in the PM rush as in the AM rush. The (S61) wouldn't run and the (S62) would end at Jewett Avenue, not CSI. Like you said, everybody takes the (S91)/(S92) because they are limited-stop buses, leaving the (S61)/(S62) with very few people.

The question is: how many customers are at the local stops. I would assume that with the (S66) going up Grymes Hill, all customers from Highland Avenue westward would take the (S62) to avoid going up and down Grymes Hill. I would doubt that this would cause the (S62) to become overcrowded, since, like you said, the same pattern operates in the AM rush.

I actually suggested that the same exact pattern operate in the PM rush as in the AM rush. The (S61) wouldn't run and the (S62) would end at Jewett Avenue, not CSI. Like you said, everybody takes the (S91)/(S92) because they are limited-stop buses, leaving the (S61)/(S62) with very few people.

The question is: how many customers are at the local stops. I would assume that with the (S66) going up Grymes Hill, all customers from Highland Avenue westward would take the (S62) to avoid going up and down Grymes Hill. I would doubt that this would cause the (S62) to become overcrowded, since, like you said, the same pattern operates in the AM rush.

Right, but where would the (S62) turn at Jewett Av?

I would assume the same way it probably gets to Jewett Avenue in the morning-by coming from the Castleton Depot. Either that, or maybe it could go along Watchogue Road to Bradley Avenue and go back on Victory Blvd.

By the way, slightly off topic: How is crowding on the S57 now that the S67 is gone? The portion along Watchogue Road lost about 2/3 of its rush hour peak direction service, and the S67 actually got a decent amount of riders along Watchogue Road.

Another idea could be that the S67 is brought back and the S62 doesn't run at all during rush hour. What do you think?

I would assume the same way it probably gets to Jewett Avenue in the morning-by coming from the Castleton Depot. Either that, or maybe it could go along Watchogue Road to Bradley Avenue and go back on Victory Blvd.

By the way, slightly off topic: How is crowding on the S57 now that the S67 is gone? The portion along Watchogue Road lost about 2/3 of its rush hour peak direction service, and the S67 actually got a decent amount of riders along Watchogue Road.

Another idea could be that the S67 is brought back and the S62 doesn't run at all during rush hour. What do you think?

The (S57) doesn't get many people even without the (S67). As for your idea I don't know about that because then people who are coming from Travis would not have any service during rush hour.

Bx36 Limited is definitely useless. They'll show up at any random time and is definitely slow and not frequent enough. Give the Bx40 Limited service and call it a day since its more frequent and there's enough demand for it. Only problem is a single lane from West Farms to Burnside Avenue.

Archived