Do you think some limited bus routes are useless?

S78 via Hylan

I would say the S84 because:

-Although it does get sometimes crowded, but only until around Broad St in Stapleton. Since I've been on it a few times, it gets empty pretty quickly and stays almost empty for most of the route.

-Plus it is not very frequent. I think the S74 was better until the S84 came because some S74 trips were reduced in order to create room and it hasn't really worked.

My opinions are the same for the S81 and S86.

What I think should happen for the S51 and S76 at the ferry is that they should schedule the regular trip that connects with the ferry and another one before the next boat. For example, instead of having a S51 and S81. leave the ferry at 5:10, they should have a S51 trip leave at 5:12 and a 5:24, so people who are waiting at further stops ahead like Bay Street and Victory Blvd could get some seats.

-This would also reduce congestion when the buses leave the St. George Terminal.

Once again, I think the following limiteds are not needed very much: S81, S84, S86, S92

Any other ideas?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. Like I said, the S81, S84 and S86 should be canned.

Well the S90 used to be a p.m. rush hour only route...if it's needed then the S81/84/86 can be made into a.m. limiteds as well in good time.

Well the S90 used to be a p.m. rush hour only route...if it's needed then the S81/84/86 can be made into a.m. limiteds as well in good time.

Don't forget the S96.

I think he is saying that they don't have the ridership levels to justify their existance in either direction.

Don't forget the S96.

I think he is saying that they don't have the ridership levels to justify their existance in either direction.

That's exactly what I was saying. In fact, here's the most recent S84 schedule: 3:30, 4:00, 4:30, 5:10, 5:30, 5:45, 9:00, 9:30 (All pm) What kind of limited bus route runs that kind of schedule?

If that were to happen, a few trips might have to be slashed to make room. When the S96 AM service was introduced, some S46's were reduced, not that I'm saying the S96 should be canned.

For the S51 on Bay Street, I think it's fine the way it is. In addition, the S51 and S76 make the same stops from Vanderbilt Av to the Ferry Terminal and then there is also the SIR nearby.

In reply to this question, there are at least 3 limited stop services that are useless.

The first is the "M4"(not sure it survived the doomsday cuts)since you already have the nearby M1 M2 and M5 for limited stop service. Not to mention it's for a few hours only.

Next i would also add the S84 also as it been mentioned. Granted the S74 is among the longest *non-Manhattan Local or Express* Local/regular bus route in the city.

However when you have several other bus lines in the boro plus the SIRT(Staten Island Rapid Transit Railway)nearby, is this really?

The other is one our friend B35 would mention all the time since it started couple of years ago theQ36. Granted it's like the M4, a peak direction route to Jamaica Morning Rush, From Jamaica PM Rush, but still when you already have '4' other nearby routes with limited service such as the N6(Belmont Park)the N24(Cross Island Pwy area/Jericho)and the Q43/N22 along Hillside this is overkill in service imo.

Last one for now that i think is unneeded limited stop service is the Bx55 late evenings and weekends. I know in the doomsday cuts its going to happen but in last 15 years since the start of metrocard and start of free subway/bus transfer, BX55 ridership has gone down alot. It's still very and SRO Weekdays most of the day. I admit i dont ride it often, but back in the free metrocard days, the BX55 was crowded 7 days a week. Also maybe someone like Cotb16 who lives in the Bronx can confirm is the fact the BX55 service to/from the Gun Hill Road/WP Road (2) station also lost ridership and made the Bx41 to dramtically increase ridership.

Now maybe people transfer from the (2)(5) to other Bronx lines at other stations is reason off peak BX55 has dropped.

Lastly for now i would add the B38. Not so much for limited stop service it busy enough for it, what i mean this. The B38 really should have a semi express along Deklab stopping only at Nostrand between Utica North/Macolm X Blvd.(B46) and Flatbush/Fulton Mall area.

Just my takes.

In reply to this question, there are at least 3 limited stop services that are useless.

The first is the "M4"(not sure it survived the doomsday cuts)since you already have the nearby M1 M2 and M5 for limited stop service. Not to mention it's for a few hours only.

Next i would also add the S84 also as it been mentioned. Granted the S74 is among the longest *non-Manhattan Local or Express* Local/regular bus route in the city.

However when you have several other bus lines in the boro plus the SIRT(Staten Island Rapid Transit Railway)nearby, is this really?

The other is one our friend B35 would mention all the time since it started couple of years ago theQ36. Granted it's like the M4, a peak direction route to Jamaica Morning Rush, From Jamaica PM Rush, but still when you already have '4' other nearby routes with limited service such as the N6(Belmont Park)the N24(Cross Island Pwy area/Jericho)and the Q43/N22 along Hillside this is overkill in service imo.

Last one for now that i think is unneeded limited stop service is the Bx55 late evenings and weekends. I know in the doomsday cuts its going to happen but in last 15 years since the start of metrocard and start of free subway/bus transfer, BX55 ridership has gone down alot. It's still very and SRO Weekdays most of the day. I admit i dont ride it often, but back in the free metrocard days, the BX55 was crowded 7 days a week.

Now maybe people transfer from the (2)(5) to other Bronx lines at other stations is reason off peak BX55 has dropped.

Lastly for now i would add the B38. Not so much for limited stop service it busy enough for it, what i mean this. The B38 really should have a semi express along Deklab stopping only at Nostrand between Utica North/Macolm X Blvd.(B46) and Flatbush/Fulton Mall area.

Just my takes.

I have been on the Bx55 on a weekend before. It wasn't really empty, in fact, most of the seats were full. I think the (MTA) should have at least proposed reduced Bx55 weekend service because the Bx15 is already crowded enough.

I have been on the Bx55 on a weekend before. It wasn't really empty, in fact, most of the seats were full. I think the (MTA) should have at least proposed reduced Bx55 weekend service because the Bx15 is already crowded enough.

I agree. The BX55 should still have some weekend service but running it to about Midnight Saturdays/Sundays was a waste.

Ideally the (MTA) should have just ran the BX55 Saturdays 7am-10pm and Sundays 9am-8pm since the BX15 can and often gets stuck in traffic in Harlem along 125th St.

Last one for now that i think is unneeded limited stop service is the Bx55 late evenings and weekends. I know in the doomsday cuts its going to happen but in last 15 years since the start of metrocard and start of free subway/bus transfer, BX55 ridership has gone down alot. It's still very and SRO Weekdays most of the day. I admit i dont ride it often, but back in the free metrocard days, the BX55 was crowded 7 days a week. Also maybe someone like Cotb16 who lives in the Bronx can confirm is the fact the BX55 service to/from the Gun Hill Road/WP Road (2) station also lost ridership and made the Bx41 to dramtically increase ridership.

Just my takes.

The M4 LTD survived the cuts, don't know why, but it did. I'm still trying to fathom why the Q36 got a LTD. I think the (MTA) has gone too far with this LTD thing

I agree. The BX55 should still have some weekend service but running it to about Midnight Saturdays/Sundays was a waste.

Ideally the (MTA) should have just ran the BX55 Saturdays 7am-10pm and Sundays 9am-8pm since the BX15 can and often gets stuck in traffic in Harlem along 125th St.

Are they planning to have short turn Bx15s at 149th Street? They said that they would add some Bx15 service.

By the way, does the Bx15 run artics already or not?

Just my takes.

For the Bx55, most of the ridership was lost because of the free subway/bus transfers in which riders in Tremont and northern Morrisania now take crosstown buses like the Bx6, Bx11, or Bx36 to the (D) or the (4) in the West Bronx, or the (2) and (5) further north such as West Farms or Freeman St.

As for service on weekends, the Bx55 is not as needed on Sundays. But it is the contrary on Saturdays since many of its riders are headed to shopping strips on either 149th Street or Fordham Road. And as mentioned, the Bx15 gets stuck in traffic on 125th Street and the Willis Av/3rd Av bridges, meaning people at 149th Street would be waiting longer, for packed buses from Harlem instead of empty buses with seats, which is helpful for shoppers coming from the Hub with many bags. This can result in many riders/shoppers switching from buses to taxicabs as the waits can often balloon to 15 minutes due to the Bx15 being stuck in Harlem.

As for service to/from Gun Hill, it is agreed that the Bx41 is crowded because the Bx55 doesn't run to Gun Hill 24/7. It is mainly due to riders from Fordham and points south desiring to reach the Northeast Bronx without having to set foot onto the (2) or (5) trains. In addition, most of the areas the Bx41 and Bx55 have been without subway service for the past 37 years and counting.

I think that the Bx55 should've only been kept on Saturdays because of the many shoppers using that bus to head to the Hub or Fordham.

Another issue I have with this cut is the Bx15 getting artics. Now that the Bx15's getting artics, most riders along 125th Street would often take the Bx15 or M101 instead of the M60 or M100 since there's more seats and space. Plus, the artics would have a very tough time getting through all of that traffic in Harlem.

I do. The (M2)(1) or (M)(2) limited is fine (kinda), but both lines having a limited isn't necessary.

True. The M2 limited is used more though. I think the M1 LTD could be canned since it is being truncated and plus there is the M2 LTD and M5 LTD even though the M5 doesn't travel much of the M1 route.

Are they planning to have short turn Bx15s at 149th Street? They said that they would add some Bx15 service.

By the way, does the Bx15 run artics already or not?

I think they might have short turn Bx15 service since they do that at night. As of now, the Bx15 does not use artics. The line is still full of 40 footers.

The B49LTD should be A.M. and P.M. rush hours at both directions.

And it should start at Fulton Street. Regular local/limited-stop pairs have the limited-stop bus run the full length of the route while the local makes the short-turns. The limited-stop B49 could run to Fulton Street while the local buses that leave before or after it (depending on the gap in local service). could start at Empire Blvd.

Archived