"Pilot Program Replaces MetroCard Swipe With Credit Card Tap"

Reported by NY1:

M14, M23, M79, M86, M101, M102 and M103 buses and (4)(5)(6) are being outfitted with sensors that will let you tap a credit/debit card or fob to pay your fare.

Catch is it has to be a Mastercard credit/debit card or fob to work (Mastercard is paying for the pilot test program).

The card will also work on PATH and NJ Transit Trains to pay your fare.

Full Story at NY1: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/

The card will also work on PATH and NJ Transit Trains to pay your fare.

Not NJT trains. For NJT, its only for the 6, 80, and 87 bus routes.

What it works on:

(4)(5) 138 St-Borough Hall

(6) 125-City Hall

M14, M23, M79, M86, M101, M102, and also BxM7

PATH: All stations except Christopher and 9 St

NJT bus routes 6, 80, 87

what's disturbing about the SmartCard details is that every time they try this, they use the phrase "deduct directly from your bank account". how will they be able to have unlimited SmartCards if every time you tap your card it takes out $2.25 (or probably $3 by the time they get this fully running)? i think they're secretly trying to phase out unlimited cards! is this not a fair assumption?

what's disturbing about the SmartCard details is that every time they try this, they use the phrase "deduct directly from your bank account". how will they be able to have unlimited SmartCards if every time you tap your card it takes out $2.25 (or probably $3 by the time they get this fully running)? i think they're secretly trying to phase out unlimited cards! is this not a fair assumption?

Seems to be the case. I don't have very good thoughts about this. But we'll see what happens

I have an idea.

Make it similar to PATH's Smartlink Card, which can be purchase with cash or credit/debit, where you could add Unlimited MTA Trips, PATH trips or NJT Bus trips.

For example, you add 30-Day trip on subway, then for PATH at PATH Station.

Or if it success MTA, PATH should put new Smartlink Vending Machine.

what's disturbing about the SmartCard details is that every time they try this, they use the phrase "deduct directly from your bank account".

That's a big reason I won't do it. That or linking automatically to credit cards. I don't trust financial institutions to take money out of anywhere "automatically". I don't understand why there can't just be prepaid smartcards that are "refilled" the same way you "reload" ammo at a laser tag park by standing at a refueling station.

The point is to eliminate delays entering stations. The lines at vending machines are not a big concern for everyone. Those who want to skip the line can try and trust the banksters, but it should not be mandatory for anyone.

how about when you tap multiple times and cant get through but it already took like ten bucks from your account.

Amen to that. I don't trust automation AT ALL (or banks) when it comes to taking money out of my account. I don't even believe in online bill pay. I'll mail a check any day of the week

I don't even believe in online bill pay. I'll mail a check any day of the week

Me neither. I refuse to do the automatic bill pay for either my credit card or mobile phone. I like to look at the bill when I get it and make sure I know what i'm paying for.

They should just sell prepaid SmartCards for those who don't feel comfortable with having the money pulled from their bank account. Besides, not everyone has a bank account (I don't have one yet).

Despite the problems with automation, it is a trial after all. So they have to see the public opinion and then work things out later. However, it's really bull because I have serious doubts that the real smartcard (when it comes out) will be a credit card thing. Plus, the elderly miss out on these, I think.

Btw, did anyone notice that the M103 route drawn on the brochure is messed up? The southern loop looks like it's going somewhere around Catherine. It turns to the south and east rather than swing southwest to City Hall. I just noticed it on the bus today.

Despite the problems with automation, it is a trial after all. So they have to see the public opinion and then work things out later. However, it's really bull because I have serious doubts that the real smartcard (when it comes out) will be a credit card thing. Plus, the elderly miss out on these, I think.

I'd say about 90% of adults I've spoken with about this same issue (trusting banksters to hold credit card/bank info and either auto bill or auto deduct) have voiced the same serious doubts that I have. I really really don't see this, or anything involving "tying in with accounts / credit cards" going ANYWHERE.

Me neither. I refuse to do the automatic bill pay for either my credit card or mobile phone. I like to look at the bill when I get it and make sure I know what i'm paying for.

So why not schedule an automatic payment 5 days after the bill comes in the mail every month ?

This should give you enough time to look at it and not to worry about paying it

in the brochure it says that it will deduct ones a month and that will allow it to take into account how many trips you made, so if u made enough to get discount based on monthly unlimited, you will get charged discounted price. If you made 4 trips in a month then you will pay 3.00 *4 ( just like auto pay right now )

So why not schedule an automatic payment 5 days after the bill comes in the mail every month ?

This should give you enough time to look at it and not to worry about paying it

I don't like the idea of "automatic" at all and lots here don't either. When there is a mistake, I'd rather be the one holding the money when I have it out with those slimy bastards on the phone to get it fixed. I'd rather NOT be asking for my money back.

Archived