QM22 to be taken over by a Private company?

error46146

Do you remember when Queens Surface lost the QM1A to Wall St and the QM3 to Sixth ave in 1988? A different private bus company tried to make them work. It did so well that in about 6 months,QSC had both of them back. Given that kind of track record it's definitely an uphill battle to make these routes work.
That's what I heard about the Metro Apple routes (BM10, 11, 15), though that company itself wasn't even subsidized.

They were supoposedly picked up by van routes, but you never heard about it again, and in a few years, they are completely gone.

More recently, there was some talk about (MTA) actually reviving one of them, but this was before the economic crash. Or I wonder if it was really this Azumah trying to revive it.

Related: There is an express bus from Manhattan using a Blue Bird that runs or ran to and from Bay Ridge...and there was one that ran from Park Slope to Manhattan using a Flxible Metro.
Probably the same one that as late as 10 years ago was running a black fishbowl. (Probably ex-Triboro). Always wanted to catch that right before Christmas, to relive memories of Christmas shopping and riding home in Brooklyn. But didn't know where it stopped, or anything.

That's what I heard about the Metro Apple routes (BM10, 11, 15), though that company itself wasn't even subsidized.

They were supoposedly picked up by van routes, but you never heard about it again, and in a few years, they are completely gone.

More recently, there was some talk about (MTA) actually reviving one of them, but this was before the economic crash. Or I wonder if it was really this Azumah trying to revive it.

Probably the same one that as late as 10 years ago was running a black fishbowl. (Probably ex-Triboro). Always wanted to catch that right before Christmas, to relive memories of Christmas shopping and riding home in Brooklyn. But didn't know where it stopped, or anything.

Could that be Metro Apple route

Not 10 years ago. That was long gone by then. If it was the replacement service? Never thought about that. Don't think so, and then I also saw them going over the williamsburg Bridge, and on Delancey as well. (And then, sometimes in Midtown).

This guy seriously wants to do this? Take over buses the MTA is getting rid of? I REALLY don't get it....

Is what he is doing even legal?

He's said that he's consulted the (MTA) and it is a legal operation over on Subchat.

I don't know how he thinks he can make a profit when the X25 costs over $42 per person to operate. If only 20 people rode it, how much could ridership possibly increase? Even if it increased to 50 people as a result of the $3 fare, and his costs remained the same, it is still over $17 per person.

I thought, if anything, he would combine the X25/X90. I don't even see a point to the X26.

If the MTA was going to discontinue these lines anyway, at least the people have their service maintained until he can't run it anymore. He should've tried to collaborate with the MTA to say that his service would replace the X25/X90.

Interlining drastically drives down those costs the way he plans to do it, so he says.

id rather just leave the QM22 where it is.

The QM22 is being cut in a week...

how about this link....

http://qm22express.forumup.com/about3-qm22express.html

I'll just post the first paragraph... it's hilarious enough....

taken from the same link to the page (posted above)

I continue to receive calls from QM22 riders requesting a personal meeting about a generic set of questions that have yet to be articulated. QM2AClearview and I have been discussing for three weeks how to potentially save this route and QM2AClearview has been persistent in this endeavor. I was led to believe that the QM22 passengers took QM2AClearview seriously and was actively working with him on this process. Some of the communication I have been receiving from the passengers indicates that some people are taking QM2AClearview for a joke. This morning, I was accused of doing business through a child. Obviously, I am irritated about that because QM2AClearview's efforts have brought you to this point.

You don't attempt to do business through faceless third party individuals.

QM2a Clearview is the same guy that posted these long-winded ideas over on straphangers....

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/topics/495838/1

...created an entire forum for the sole purpose of these ideas, and later took the forum down when ppl. weren't all in favor of said ideas.....

judging by qm2aclearview's reponses to ppl. questions regarding the qm22 takeover (on that forumup forum), I would have taken it for a joke also.

All of this is Priceless.

Hmm just found this over on Subchat:

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=199933

On Sunday, TransportAzumah, a private bus operator with plans to start service Monday along some express routes being cut by the MTA, said it wouldn't comply with an order from the city's Department of Transportation that it cease operations.

"The Department of Transportation doesn't understand state regulations and we're running tomorrow," the company's owner, Joel Azumah, said.

The city has asked the company to submit documentation to show why it doesn't need to obtain a city franchise to operate private bus service. Mr. Azumah said he's not subject to city regulations because his passengers will be required to join a riders' club and his buses aren't open to the public.

"We're not opposed to private service, but buses operating on our streets need to go through the process the right way and explain their routes, business plan, information on their bus fleet," a city official familiar with the matter said.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704212804575333282522727748.html

And there is a high chance for the routes to be cheaper than the (MTA)

Yes,it is legal because the (MTA) is not loosing any revenue from it.

They are but it is such a small amount of passengers that it is relatively insignificant. Those 540 X29 riders would probably take the (:P/(Q) trains (or (F) if they live further by McDonald Avenue), or the B68 to the (F) to get to Manhattan, but since he's running his X29 route, the MTA is losing out on about $900-$1,000 in farebox revenue per day.

They are but it is such a small amount of passengers that it is relatively insignificant. Those 540 X29 riders would probably take the (;)/(Q) trains (or (F) if they live further by McDonald Avenue), or the B68 to the (F) to get to Manhattan, but since he's running his X29 route, the MTA is losing out on about $900-$1,000 in farebox revenue per day.

The TA isn't loosing out on daily revenue because the operating costs of the runs were much higher than the income from the fares.

The TA isn't loosing out on daily revenue because the operating costs of the runs were much higher than the income from the fares.

The X29 was going to be discontinued anyway. The plan was to have X29 riders take the subway to Manhattan. However, since he's driving his private buses along the X29 route, they are paying him instead of paying the MTA $2.25 for the subway.

If it was a choice of keeping the X29 or having TransportAzumah take it over, then yes, they aren't losing out on any revenue. However, those 540 riders are going to be taking his private buses instead of the subway, so the MTA loses out on about $1,000 compared to if Mr. Azumah didn't take over the route.

Today, I saw Skyliner Bus on X90 at 16:10 and 16:40, my favorite company because it mostly used by Japanese Tour.

Pictures will be coming up first basis soon after I take shower.

I did not see any X25 TA.

About the part when you said after taking a shower, I think you should keep that to yourself instead of posting that, because that is personal information to reveal and none of us would want to hear your personal bussiness in the bathroom, okay.B)

The X29 was going to be discontinued anyway. The plan was to have X29 riders take the subway to Manhattan. However, since he's driving his private buses along the X29 route, they are paying him instead of paying the MTA $2.25 for the subway.

If it was a choice of keeping the X29 or having TransportAzumah take it over, then yes, they aren't losing out on any revenue. However, those 540 riders are going to be taking his private buses instead of the subway, so the MTA loses out on about $1,000 compared to if Mr. Azumah didn't take over the route.

Well if it's benefiting the riders then its perfectly fine imo, not everyone wants to take 80 buses, trains, boats, horses to get to and from the city lol. Its the MTA's loss (or gain), riders shouldn't be forced to radically alter their commute so the MTA can get money.

About the part when you said after taking a shower, I think you should keep that to yourself instead of posting that, because that is personal information to reveal and none of us would want to hear your personal bussiness in the bathroom, okay.B)

Yes, totally agreed. We don't need to know every detail.

Yes, totally agreed. We don't need to know every detail.

That's right, I think that he should really learn how to keep personal and private stuff like that to himself, because in real life people in general don't care or don't want to know about his private bussiness in the bathroom.

This is what he posted on the J.Heights Life.com forum yesterday.

"Anyone interested in leafletting/handbilling in Astoria."

Good afternoon,

I hope that you all are enjoying your Independence Day. But I have one announcement. As a part of an advertising campaign that the QM22 riders will do in order to boost ridership for the QM22 Express bus I ask for someone that would be willing to hand out fliers to people in a high traffic area in Astoria on either Thursday or Friday morning. Location will be in Astoria where new QM22 riders could be recruited from 7AM until either 8:15 or 9 AM whichever works. Please contact me via email at bounadhanhic@yahoo.com.

Thanks to anyone who would volunteer.

Archived