MTA cuts: Queens residents protest new residential route of Q15A bus

Harry

A protest in Queens trapped one city bus for an hour Sunday as doomsday service cuts left riders and straphangers reeling all over town.

Whitestone residents are steamed the Q15A, a new alternate route of the Q15 bus meant to pick up riders stranded by the elimination of the Q14, has been routed down a residential stretch of 10th Ave. they say is too narrow.

"It's a safety issue," said Kevin Leibowitz, 46, an electrician. "A fire truck, usually the first response for a heart attack, how are they gonna get by?"

Dozens of angry neighbors joined former City Councilman Tony Avella (D-Queens) to stand in front of one of the Q15A buses, stopping it cold.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/06/28/2010-06-28_mta_protest.html#ixzz0s9OccV00

post-1-133288582092_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582092_thumb.jpg

Not pitting Neighborhood vs Neighborhood or Borough vs Borough but Whitestone residents IMO should be considered lucky that they still have some bus service at all despite the changes. With that said sound like a bad job in operations planning and the staff made the change based only on ridership/metrocard data and computers and never on actual in-person visits.

I wonder how of those screaming now in Whitestone attended the hearings in Queens in Late Feb./Early March?:confused:

I bet within couple of months the new Q15a will be rerouted as Whitestone does have some political clout both at City Hall and in Albany.

Again, not trying to be rude against Whitestone residents and all of NYC as a whole but where was the majority of New Yorkers since January when the doomsday cuts were announced and late March when it approved? I think they thought and took for granted another bailout from Albany or DC was happening again.

Now that the doomsday cuts has begun, which for next few weeks, the office at both 2 Broadway and Madison Ave be flooded with tons of angry phone calls and letters.

These people (who are mainly elderly and retired) are always so angry- they complain about driving tests being given in their neighborhood, buses, loud neighbors. Fear the wrath of the elderly, I guess.

Not to get too off topic but My Mom is also 'eldery' aka senior citizen and does not B@TCH and moan as many New Yorkers as in their golden years.

Yet other than rich people, New York's Senior population are the 2nd most important voting demographic/block. I am sure within a couple of months, the Q15a will be changed in Whitestone for the 'sake' of the eldery.

They should've just cut the Q14 outright if those people are going to be that way. Riders on the Cross Island Parkway section of the Q15 don't have to suffer through having half the amount of service they used to have. That would've been $50,000 well saved.

I don't see what the big deal is. The Q15A comes every 16 minutes during rush hour and 40-60 minutes off-peak. It's not like buses are passing by every 5 minutes.

By the way, one of the sneaky things that the MTA did was not mention that the Q15A would run only half as frequently as the old Q14.

They should've just cut the Q14 outright if those people are going to be that way. Riders on the Cross Island Parkway section of the Q15 don't have to suffer through having half the amount of service they used to have. That would've been $50,000 well saved.

I don't see what the big deal is. The Q15A comes every 16 minutes during rush hour and 40-60 minutes off-peak. It's not like buses are passing by every 5 minutes.

By the way, one of the sneaky things that the MTA did was not mention that the Q15A would run only half as frequently as the old Q14.

At least they made a Q15A. There could have been no replacement.

Whitestone residents are steamed the Q15A, a new alternate route of the Q15 bus meant to pick up riders stranded by the elimination of the Q14, has been routed down a residential stretch of 10th Ave. they say is too narrow.

Thing 1:

Transit buses use other two-way streets that are just as narrow. Look at...

Q27: Holly Avenue; 216th Street

Q42: Entire route south of Liberty Avenue.

Q83: 113th Drive, 114th Avenue

Bx8 (former Bx14): Entire Country Club routing

Thing 2:

If the folks on 10th Avenue feel that their ex-Q14 neighbors on 150th Street don't deserve bus service, they should tell those neighbors directly instead of blocking the buses.

Wow... that's the first word that comes out of my mouth.

Here in my area, coach buses turn onto Jefferson Street on a regular basis - a street clearly reserved for residential areas. You have kids crossing the street at regular intervals (Educational Alliance, the library). And the street is only one lane thick (save the other two for side parking), yet I don't see ANYONE on that street complaining.

Thing 1:

Transit buses use other two-way streets that are just as narrow. Look at...

Q27: Holly Avenue; 216th Street

Q42: Entire route south of Liberty Avenue.

Q83: 113th Drive, 114th Avenue

Bx8 (former Bx14): Entire Country Club routing

Thing 2:

If the folks on 10th Avenue feel that their ex-Q14 neighbors on 150th Street don't deserve bus service, they should tell those neighbors directly instead of blocking the buses.

Or simply another case of the NIMBY's diease on this new Q15a route as well.:P

IMO, that bus service should be running not on a residential street, people once at a quiet street now has to hear a bus engine rumbling thru. But the best bet is make two way streets into one way streets, ah-ha problem solved! Punishing the residents, won't do good at all, and making residents fight another resident is no good either and eliminating street parking means business shuts down and residents move out and dooming the area, think about it!

trying too hard, fam....

eliminating street parking on a residential street means businesses shut down?

....and people aren't gonna up & move out b/c they can't park on the curbside.... someone needs to take a trip out to Nassau county... go & see how strict certain villages are, regarding parking on residential streets out there....

Despite that, the one thing I do agree on, is that buses should've never been routed down that street... 15a should've never been created, before or after that stunt they pulled.....

Those residents wanna do their little protest? I would revoke 15a service & put it back on the 15... at least the residents of the LeHavre apt's (the general area where the 15 terminates) use the 15 ... Whitestone residents seldom used the 14 anyway....

There are people in other areas that wish they had ANY local service running, that was TAKEN AWAY from them...

and some of these folks in Whitestone crying foul on expanded routing.... smh....

IMO, that bus service should be running not on a residential street, people once at a quiet street now has to hear a bus engine rumbling thru. But the best bet is make two way streets into one way streets, ah-ha problem solved! Punishing the residents, won't do good at all, and making residents fight another resident is no good either and eliminating street parking means business shuts down and residents move out and dooming the area, think about it!

That's the MTA and the NYCDOT not talking to each other if you ask me.

The residents do have a point though; these streets were never designed to have 102-inch wide vehicles coming through regularly...and they were there before the buses were. The MTA should have thought about this.

A better solution would be to extend the Q34 to co-run with the Q15 on 150 Street (express bus runs can be cut on the MTA Bus side to make it work) and have it end at the former Q14 terminus. On weekends, the Q34 would run only between Whitestone and Flushing.

Well, if you are talking about residential streets, a residential streets require parking or it is not a street that is residence friendly, it is like removing parking for people in eastern queens/nassau county too, it'll make peoples especially the senior and disabled more incovienient.

But still the Q15A should be routed onto a more major streets and IDK why the Whitestone residents are doing it probably becuz it is on a residential street, I don't think we should be the judge and mind about other communities, they have their own reasons, we have ours, :)... Just to be cool, :cool:...

You're speaking in very general terms... I don't know if you're trying to be politically correct or what... I'm sorry, I'm far more outspoken than that....

It's not like Harry pulled this out of the Whitestone local newspaper (lol).... this is out of a daily news report... that stunt pulled by those residents is a public outcry.... so I have every right to judge these people, just as they were bold enough to park their a**es in front of that bus for an hour or whatever....

anyway, regarding re-routing buses... that's the problem... there aren't any "major" east-west streets to route buses in Whitestone (which is a highly residential area anyway).... What gets me is, they're not up in arms on buses turning onto 7th... they're up in arms on buses turning down 10th... that turn off clintonville/10th isn't anymore worse than that turn off 150th/7th.... they didn't do their little protest when Q14's were turning onto 7th, to then terminate/u-turn over there by the triangle formed by 7th/clintonville/151st (or w/e that other side street is)....

quite honestly, now I'm beginning to think that they don't want "outsiders invading" that waldbaums....

Judging by StreetView, 11 Av would be a better choice than 10th...

10th Ave:

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Whitestone,+New+York,+NY&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.460237,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Whitestone,+New+York&ll=40.794546,-73.818467&spn=0.009471,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.793399,-73.811083&panoid=cGW-WOWLuEfQHqeUVI9vfw&cbp=12,249.18,,0,12.98&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Whitestone,+New+York,+NY&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.460237,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Whitestone,+New+York&ll=40.794546,-73.818467&spn=0.009471,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.793399,-73.811083&panoid=cGW-WOWLuEfQHqeUVI9vfw&cbp=12,249.18,,0,12.98" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

11th Ave:

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Whitestone,+New+York,+NY&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.460237,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Whitestone,+New+York&ll=40.794546,-73.818467&spn=0.009471,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.792364,-73.811014&panoid=4gVLtdvHIAOaTg6Ve68xUA&cbp=12,253.22,,0,8.22&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Whitestone,+New+York,+NY&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.460237,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Whitestone,+New+York&ll=40.794546,-73.818467&spn=0.009471,0.013797&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.792364,-73.811014&panoid=4gVLtdvHIAOaTg6Ve68xUA&cbp=12,253.22,,0,8.22" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

You don't want the bus, don't use it. However, this article makes me wonder what's going to happen if two buses meet.

they would explode :P

A million years ago when i used to QCC, I was on a crowded Q27 that met another Q27 in the opposite direction. My bus had to back up because a delivery truck was blocking the opposite side of the street and the other bus was already squeezing by the parked cars and the truck. But also behind my bus cars already lined up behind the bus.

That's the MTA and the NYCDOT not talking to each other if you ask me.

The residents do have a point though; these streets were never designed to have 102-inch wide vehicles coming through regularly...and they were there before the buses were. The MTA should have thought about this.

A better solution would be to extend the Q34 to co-run with the Q15 on 150 Street (express bus runs can be cut on the MTA Bus side to make it work) and have it end at the former Q14 terminus. On weekends, the Q34 would run only between Whitestone and Flushing.

Goes along with my previous idea to just combine the Q14 and Q34. It's so simple as far as killing to birds with one stone.. but that is combining NYCB bus route with an MTAB route so who knows if its possible.

Archived